HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What if Washington selected Malkin first overall, and left Ovechkin to Pittsburgh?

Old
11-08-2011, 11:34 AM
MurphyDump

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
You're stuck in 2006.

Yeah he's afraid to get hit in the corners...and no, I'm not using the "one video means he's the best ever" argument, just that you are showing the typical Penguins bias. How many Capitals games do you watch annually?
While I agree with you about Ovechkin's physcial play, I have to laugh at the evidence you presented.

Mike Freakin' Ribiero? You're proud of Ovy overpowering him? Ovy has plenty more highlight reel hits out there on bigger, stronger guys.

I wouldn't brag about hitting Ribiero!

MurphyDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:52 AM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
While I agree with you about Ovechkin's physcial play, I have to laugh at the evidence you presented.

Mike Freakin' Ribiero? You're proud of Ovy overpowering him? Ovy has plenty more highlight reel hits out there on bigger, stronger guys.

I wouldn't brag about hitting Ribiero!
Honestly, it was the first play that came to mind where he handled someone from the corners. I'm not "proud" of any video I post on this site.

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Better yet, what if Washington didnt win the lottery and steal that pick from Pittsburgh? The next year Pittsburgh has a far lesser chance at getting Crosby, and Washington has a far greater chance... so maybe Pittsburgh ends up with Ovie and Sasha Pokoluk while Washington has Malkin and Crosby.
Better yet? That premise completely undermines, or shows a lack of understanding, of the OP's question, which was far more interesting than your scenerio. Basically the OP is asking if you trade Malkin and Oveckin from their respective teams from day one what difference would it have made. The question is interesting as both are comparable, world class but completely different, types of players. The change of address would not only have an enormous impact on their careers (Crosby and Ovechkin together, the HF and fantasy hockey wet dream) but on the character of the teams as well. I wonder for instance how Ovechkin would fit in a Bylsma system. Oh Bylsma would make it work, you build around players like Ovechkin, but there would be some interesting growing pains both ways.

Your question is some Washington fantasy, but really does not scratch the surface of interesting beyond that.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:50 PM
SkullSplitter

As awesome as a Crosby/Ovy line would be, I feel with Staal as 2C & Talbot as 3C the Pens wouldn't have won the cup

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:29 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
What if Ovechkin went back in time and killed Baby Hitler?
I want to know THIS! Heh.

11-08-2011, 02:48 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Hum.. Without Malkin Pittsburgh never wins the cup.
Malkin was a beast in 09, but the Wing's wouldn't have been able to handle Ovechkin any better in my opinion, especially if him and Crosby were split up. The whole turning point in that series was Filppula's inability to match up with their second line, and Ovechkin would have dominated at a similar level that Malkin did.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:27 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Me too personally I think Ovetchkin will go down as the most overrated player in history.

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:43 PM
ginovegas

either way Ovechkin would be the only one still playing

Crosby is unfortunately 1 hit away from retirement (Hope not)
and Malkin had 1 great playoff, he's been down hill since then and will probably never be the same
I don't evenb think he's a top 10 if not a top 20 anymore

ginovegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:34 PM
txpd

lets see....

* Ovechkin would have destroyed the Pens cup runs. He's a loser as we know.
* Ovechkin would be the bigger star in Pittsburgh because he hasnt missed games.
* The Capitals rebuild would have been on a different track. Malkin was not nhl ready his first season. The Caps would have finished last without Ovechkin or Malkin coming out of the lockout and would have drafted higher than Backstrom. Had the Caps drafte Erik Johnson instead of Backstrom they would be significantly worse.

* Lets say that the NHL had not screwed the Caps because they won the Ovechkin lottery and the Caps had gotten Crosby?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:48 PM
SoCalSharkzFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korean Devil 23 View Post
What a dropoff from Malkin to Cam Barker.
Yeah, it was clear very early that it was a two top heavy draft, iirc we knew this at least a year in advance, that it was Ovechkin-Malkin, as two franchise superstar locks, "a two player draft" I remember it being referred to as months prior to the draft.

SoCalSharkzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
lets see....

* Ovechkin would be the bigger star in Pittsburgh because he hasnt missed games.
* The Capitals rebuild would have been on a different track. Malkin was not nhl ready his first season. The Caps would have finished last without Ovechkin or Malkin coming out of the lockout and would have drafted higher than Backstrom. Had the Caps drafte Erik Johnson instead of Backstrom they would be significantly worse.

* Lets say that the NHL had not screwed the Caps because they won the Ovechkin lottery and the Caps had gotten Crosby?
Do not generalize based on one or two posters trying to stir the pot. Most of us agree that the two are comparable, which in fact makes the hypothetical even more interesting. An exchange of two fairly equal superstars, different positions, vastly different games, how would it effect the players and/or teams? A very interesting question. Only a few took it as an opportunity to score points and slam their favorite whipping boy.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:02 PM
SoCalSharkzFan

To answer the question, IMO, Pittsburgh wouldn't have won the Stanley Cup.

Malkin was the beast in the playoffs, Malkin has the team looking like contenders even without Crosby, like he did last time Crosby got injured.

If I'm building a team, I'd take Malkin 10 times out of 10 over Ovie.

Old
11-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSharkzFan View Post
To answer the question, IMO, Pittsburgh wouldn't have won the Stanley Cup.

Malkin was the beast in the playoffs, Malkin has the team looking like contenders even without Crosby, like he did last time Crosby got injured.

If I'm building a team, I'd take Malkin 10 times out of 10 over Ovie.
I'm a Penguins fan and I disagree. I take Ovechkin over anyone other than Crosby.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovegas View Post
either way Ovechkin would be the only one still playing

Crosby is unfortunately 1 hit away from retirement (Hope not)
Technically, anyone is 1 hit away from retirement.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
SoCalSharkzFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
I'm a Penguins fan and I disagree. I take Ovechkin over anyone other than Crosby.
I respect your opinion, especially as someone who sees the players in question on regular basis.

But as someone who also sees them both every other night, I'm not sure how you could. Unless it would be to give Staal a larger role on offense.

Crosby-Ovechkin would be nice and flashy to watch, but overkill. Great players will be great no matter who their linemates are, they will find a way. We know Crosby doesn't need Ovechkin, because he's the best player in the world without a top line winger.

I don't think their point totals would increase significantly, nor would I even expect an improvement. These dream combos rarely live up to expectations.

The Penguins are a more complete team with Malkin. Not sure why a Pens fan would want to switch Malkin with any non Pens player. Not after that Conn Smythe performance. He has that rare mix of an extra gear, that killer instinct, and Superstar level talent.

Old
11-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Jahodac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Technically, anyone is 1 hit away from retirement.
True story

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:49 PM
JSBach

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
I'd wager that most teams - if not all - spend more than half their budget on their top-7 skaters.
But then there are the other players on the team like Lambert, Cournoyer, and P. Mahovlich you have to pay as well. If after they had the first seven accounted for, then just filled the team up with scrubs, they could be cap compliant, but my point was that a team today couldn't pay for the entire 76-77 Habs. The concentration of talent on that team is impossible to match with the salary cap, unless players took major pay cuts, or unless you have players on ELC's playing like superstars, but let's be realistic.

Last edited by JSBach: 11-08-2011 at 05:54 PM.
JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:51 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
lets see....

If Washington drafts Jonathan Toews they have a very good 1-2 center punch of Malkin and Toews for years.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote