HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Kaleta's value

Old
11-04-2011, 04:48 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
You won't be seeing Gerbe absolutely smoke Ovechkin any time soon.
No, probably not, but he'd give it a good shot.

Not taking anything away from Kaleta, because I love his game when he keeps it clean, but we have other players on this team who have balls, as you put it.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Beerz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
Ward scored 20 goals in a season in the league while staying healthy, two things that Kaleta has yet to even come close to do.
Ward scored 20 Goals in 1 season....lol So does that mean he was totally worthless the other 5 years and Sabres were better off without him?

You make zero sense.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:22 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Ward scored 20 Goals in 1 season....lol So does that mean he was totally worthless the other 5 years and Sabres were better off without him?

You make zero sense.
Yea I thought he was worthless the other 5 years that is why is my favorite Sabre

That makes no sense, I was responding to the claim that Ward wasn't a goal scorer in fact he scored 20 goals in a season.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
That makes no sense, I was responding to the claim that Ward wasn't a goal scorer in fact he scored 20 goals in a season.
Which makes him half the goal scorer that Mike Grier was?

Ruckus007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Yea I thought he was worthless the other 5 years that is why is my favorite Sabre

So scoring 20 goals once in your career makes you a "goal scorer"? ... Hmm..interesting.

Fact is Dixon Ward type of players are a dime a dozen in hockey .... Kaleta types are much more rare. And are much more valuable than a 12-15 Goal Scorer.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 08:14 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
So scoring 20 goals once in your career makes you a "goal scorer"? ... Hmm..interesting.

Fact is Dixon Ward type of players are a dime a dozen in hockey .... Kaleta types are much more rare. And are much more valuable than a 12-15 Goal Scorer.
what makes Kaleta so rare?

Old
11-07-2011, 03:06 PM
punkr0x

Quote:
what makes Kaleta so rare?
I would say the only thing that makes Kaleta rare is most teams only employ one guy like him, so there's only really 30 or so of them needed in the NHL.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:26 PM
LGBuffalo

Kaleta has a decent amount of value to this team because he does some of the things that the "star" players don't do as much. He'll block any shot, he hits relentlessly, (even to the point where he puts himself at risk for suspension, which just isn't smart) and to be honest, he's much faster than I ever gave him credit for. If he could clean up the suspendible plays, his value would increase exponentially.

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Yummy Tree Sap

I'd like Kaleta a lot more if he weren't a complete moron. That's not going to happen any time soon, so...

Yummy Tree Sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:32 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Tree Sap View Post
I'd like Kaleta a lot more if he weren't a complete moron. That's not going to happen any time soon, so...
He's so far from a "complete moron" that I'm not even going to waste my time. You want a complete moron, you see Sean Avery.

This guy is a community gem, handles the media and the press very well, and brings ZERO "moronic" off-ice attention our way.

Was the head-butt stupid? CERTAINLY. But what a horrible mislabeling right there by you.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Yummy Tree Sap

Certainly you can't consider someone who has done that same thing—or at least a close approximation to it—three times or however many it's been as a smart player.

I'm not going to argue that he's a dirty player, because I don't really think that, but he's not a very smart one when his adrenaline is pumping. He does a lot of really dumb things that get him suspended, hurt, whatever. I guess that's to be expected when your role is to walk the line between making legal and illegal hits, but he would be such a bigger asset to the team if he could stop with the thoughtless crap he really likes to do. I have absolutely no confidence that this will ever be the case.

It's kind of the same reason I'm not thrilled for when/if Kassian is ever a member of the team.

Yummy Tree Sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Certainly you can't consider someone who has done that same thing—or at least a close approximation to it—three times or however many it's been as a smart player.

I'm not going to argue that he's a dirty player, because I don't really think that, but he's not a very smart one when his adrenaline is pumping. He does a lot of really dumb things that get him suspended, hurt, whatever. I guess that's to be expected when your role is to walk the line between making legal and illegal hits, but he would be such a bigger asset to the team if he could stop with the thoughtless crap he really likes to do. I have absolutely no confidence that this will ever be the case.

It's kind of the same reason I'm not thrilled for when/if Kassian is ever a member of the team.
I'm not calling him a genius. I do, however, disagree with calling him a moron. Vehemently. He does his job, and he does it well. That's really it.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:47 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:

I have yet to see Kassian do anything even borderline in Rochester, in fact he doesn't throw that many hits

Old
11-07-2011, 05:48 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
I would say the only thing that makes Kaleta rare is most teams only employ one guy like him, so there's only really 30 or so of them needed in the NHL.
and the league is going out of their way to get rid of what kaleta is best at, so I don't think his type of play is as valuable as it was 2-3 years ago

Old
11-08-2011, 02:29 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
and the league is going out of their way to get rid of what kaleta is best at, so I don't think his type of play is as valuable as it was 2-3 years ago
And oddly enough, Kaleta may now be more valuable than he was 2-3 years ago, when his main mission was hitting.

Kaleta takes some plays on the ice too far, but beyond that, he is a VERY smart player and says all the right things off the ice. Listen to his interviews on his suspension. Complete 180 from someone like Sean Avery.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:53 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
And oddly enough, Kaleta may now be more valuable than he was 2-3 years ago, when his main mission was hitting.

Kaleta takes some plays on the ice too far, but beyond that, he is a VERY smart player and says all the right things off the ice. Listen to his interviews on his suspension. Complete 180 from someone like Sean Avery.
Agreed, if he can kept his wits about him and become a solid defensive forward then I could see him staying in the league....but I'm not sold on that yet and I think we will have better options in the future.

Old
11-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Kaleta has to walk that fine line between being just dirty to suspendable to be effective. He mostly does a good job of it. He does draw more penalties than he takes, and the opposition can't seem to leave him alone. Matt Barnaby 2.0

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote