Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Canada and the 2014 World Cup

Old
11-08-2011, 04:45 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 500
Canada and the 2014 World Cup

I don't know anything about soccer, but was wondering what Canada's chances of making the world cup are. From my extremely uninformed point of view it looks like they have a good draw, and might have a chance. Right now they need to at least tie Saint Kitts and Nevis (who is over 20 ranking behind) in one of two games to advance to the next round. If they do make it to the next round they will not have to play the US, or Mexico, and will have to finish at least second in a group with Honduras, Cuba, and Panama. If they get passed that round a top 3 spot in a group with the remaining teams would qualify (which mean they don't have to beat the US or Mexico), and a 4th place spot would get in a playoff with the OFC champ, since Australia is not in OFC it is most likely that New Zealand will be that team, and they are over 20 spots higher than Canada in the rankings. So it seems to me that even though Canada would need to pull of some upsets, they would at least be plausible upsets (if I am not underestimating the Central American and Caribbean teams) and if they peaked at the right time they could advance. To me it seems like we have as good a draw we could ask for and have at least a plausible chance of making the world cup. Someone who knows soccer, please tell me if this is right or not.

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Jonimaus

Canada is terrible and should not sniff the world cup. That is all. But neither of the countries they have to compete against are any good either.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:57 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Canada is terrible and should not sniff the world cup. That is all. But neither of the countries they have to compete against are any good either.
That is the point I was trying to make, so does that mean it is plausible that Canada could qualify

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
That is the point I was trying to make, so does that mean it is plausible that Canada could qualify
Sure, but I wouldn't bet on it, but they don't have super tough competition for the spot.

Old
11-08-2011, 05:21 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 0
Simple answer: Canada's odds of making it are terrible.

The final round of CONCACAF qualifying is a group of six with the top three going to Brazil and the fourth getting a playoff with a team from another association. Even if Canada manages to finish second in a group with Honduras, Cuba and Panama (unlikely), they aren't going to finish fourth in a group with the likes of USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras and Jamaica.

So, don't book any hotels.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
they aren't going to finish fourth in a group with the likes of USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras and Jamaica.
God, I wish we had groups with competition like that in Europe. Qualifying would be so easy.

Old
11-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
God, I wish we had groups with competition like that in Europe. Qualifying would be so easy.
The U.S. and Mexico basically have a guaranteed berth without doing anything...it's pretty nice.

At the same time, those countries are getting most of their quality competition again friendlies and not games that matter. You're not learning a whole lot about your team when you play so many games against the CONCACAF equivalents of Luxembourg and the Faroe Islands.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The U.S. and Mexico basically have a guaranteed berth without doing anything...it's pretty nice.

At the same time, those countries are getting most of their quality competition again friendlies and not games that matter. You're not learning a whole lot about your team when you play so many games against the CONCACAF equivalents of Luxembourg and the Faroe Islands.
Well, if the world cup was set with the best countries in the world, it would basically be the European cup with a couple of teams from south america and maybe 1 or 2 from asia, possibly 1 from africa. There would be no teams from North/Middle america.

Old
11-08-2011, 06:27 PM
BernierNo1Fan

Quote:
Well, if the world cup was set with the best countries in the world, it would basically be the European cup with a couple of teams from south america and maybe 1 or 2 from asia, possibly 1 from africa. There would be no teams from North/Middle america.
There's better teams in Africa than Asia. Ivory Coast, Ghana, Egypt, Cameroon, Nigeria. Only really decent teams in the AFC are South Korea, Japan and Australia.

Canada got the best draw possible but even if they do make it to the fourth round there's hardly any chance that they even finish in the top four of the group, they're just that bad.

BernierNo1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eclipse View Post
There's better teams in Africa than Asia. Ivory Coast, Ghana, Egypt, Cameroon, Nigeria. Only really decent teams in the AFC are South Korea, Japan and Australia.

Canada got the best draw possible but even if they do make it to the fourth round there's hardly any chance that they even finish in the top four of the group, they're just that bad.
Take out Australia, and you got the 2 teams I was thinking about. Those 2 are better/even with the best African teams.

Old
11-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Klaus*

Canada got an amazing draw. Best they could have hoped for. They should have a decent chance to make it to the final round of qualifying. Once there.... who knows.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Klaus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
Simple answer: Canada's odds of making it are terrible.

The final round of CONCACAF qualifying is a group of six with the top three going to Brazil and the fourth getting a playoff with a team from another association. Even if Canada manages to finish second in a group with Honduras, Cuba and Panama (unlikely), they aren't going to finish fourth in a group with the likes of USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras and Jamaica.

So, don't book any hotels.
There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be competitive in that round of qualifying. This is coming from somebody who hates our program and thinks little of our team.

Last edited by Klaus*: 11-08-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:22 PM
BernierNo1Fan

Quote:
Take out Australia, and you got the 2 teams I was thinking about. Those 2 are better/even with the best African teams.
I don't see how Japan and South Korea are better than Ivory Coast and Ghana.

Old
11-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
I don't see how Japan and South Korea are better than Ivory Coast and Ghana.
Watch them play, check the stats. Both talk in favour of Japan and South Korea.

Old
11-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Tuggy

I think they have an outside chance and not "terrible" like others have said. Assuming they get through their current group then there is no reason why they can't get at least second place with Honduras, Panama and Cuba. Next stage would obviously be very tough but the teams in that group will hardly be world beaters.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:14 PM
BernierNo1Fan

Quote:
Watch them play, check the stats. Both talk in favour of Japan and South Korea.
What stats are you talking about? Ivory coast and Ghana have stronger squads.

Old
11-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
What stats are you talking about? Ivory coast and Ghana have stronger squads.
Worldcup sucess and so forth. Japan and South Korea are always 2 of the teams that impresses me the most, they play very quick football.

Old
11-09-2011, 01:55 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4Dogs View Post
There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be competitive in that round of qualifying. This is coming from somebody who hates our program and thinks little of our team.
Being competitive and advancing are two different things.

Old
11-09-2011, 02:03 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
It is what it is. We have an easier road to the WC, but the Euro teams that get there arrive with way more experience against good competition. Like Big said, Euro teams play each other all the time in WC qualifying and UEFA. We have the Gold Cup?

I understand being jealous of the light schedule, but we're jealous of things like being able to watch high quality soccer on a regular basis.

Old
11-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Are they hosting it? No? Thats the only way they have a significant shot at this stage. Otherwise they're not going.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Muuri

I wonder if they are even worse than Finland?

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
I wonder if they are even worse than Finland?
100% yes, and it's not even close.

Quote:
It is what it is. We have an easier road to the WC, but the Euro teams that get there arrive with way more experience against good competition. Like Big said, Euro teams play each other all the time in WC qualifying and UEFA. We have the Gold Cup?

I understand being jealous of the light schedule, but we're jealous of things like being able to watch high quality soccer on a regular basis.
I don't think you should be, none of those teams would ever qualify playing in the european qualification. Instead you should be happy taking spots from better teams.

Old
11-09-2011, 12:21 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
If Canada could get their fence sitters to suit up, they'd be right up there.

They are better than people give them credit for, they just don't play enough together so hopefully this extra round help fixes that.

That being said, with the MLS acadamies starting to churn out more and more players over the next few years, the MNT should improve as long as the players don't jump ship to other countries of course.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie View Post
If Canada could get their fence sitters to suit up, they'd be right up there.

They are better than people give them credit for, they just don't play enough together so hopefully this extra round help fixes that.

That being said, with the MLS acadamies starting to churn out more and more players over the next few years, the MNT should improve as long as the players don't jump ship to other countries of course.
People say they are terrible, they are terrible, they should be nowhere close to the world cup. I'm not sure what your point is.

Old
11-09-2011, 01:57 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
People say they are terrible, they are terrible, they should be nowhere close to the world cup. I'm not sure what your point is.
Someone is a little sensitive.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote