HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miller leads the team to victory

Old
11-08-2011, 09:43 PM
MGIII
Legendary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJon View Post
If he dived I would suggest that Roy should be in the box. Brutal call Sabres were given a gift.
Stupid play by the defensemen. Whether Roy dived or not.

MGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:44 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Pominville played 26 minutes tonight. Roy had almost 25 minutes of ice time. I know there was an OT, but holy crap that's a lot for a forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
12 power plays helped I think.
and Vanek played just shy of 24mins.

The PPs definately played a role in that

Pommer played 9:47 on the PP, Vanek 9:26 and Roy 9:42.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I should dig up joshjull's center depth thread...right now it looks like:

Pominville
Roy
Gaustad
(Adam/Leino/Hecht)
(McCormick/Ellis)
(Boyes)

As Jame mentioned in the chat, Pommer is basically the de facto center on that line--specifically defensively. And while Adam was a nice surprise, Pominville is that true #1 center we've been searching for.
QFT

Pommer has taken his game to a whole new stratosphere this year. He was the right choice for captain. and he's the #1 center we've all been dreaming of.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:46 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Jets fan here I come in peace! Question for you guys, do you think the Jets are a undiciplined team? 11 penalties is crazy. Personally I thought we had a lot of bad calls on us. Might be a little biased on my opinion so that's why I'm wondering what you guys thought. Nice win tho you guys have an exciting team to watch.

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Jets fan here I come in peace! Question for you guys, do you think the Jets are a undiciplined team? 11 penalties is crazy. Personally I thought we had a lot of bad calls on us. Might be a little biased on my opinion so that's why I'm wondering what you guys thought

Both...... You took stupid penalties and had a few bad ones called on you.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:47 PM
MGIII
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
You guys need to clean up your defense or else you're not going to go very far in the playoffs with that sort of sloppiness.
We have an entire season to figure that out. Also doesn't help that a few of our usual studs are playing terrible right now. We're expecting them to turn the unit around soon.

They will still take their risks.

Old
11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
gallagt01

Good:
-Vanek and Pominville. These guys are earning the goals they're scoring. Leading the team every single night.

-Offense really starting to go. Liked the Leino-Roy-Staff line again...Leino is really beginning to gel, I liked his game a lot. The Gerbe-Gaustad-Boyes line was very good as well. Boyes has really impressed me this year. When Ennis comes back, he'll have a cozy spot on the fourth line if these lines keep it up (which, in a Lindy Ruff system, they won't)

-Miller with some big saves late.

-Not getting rattled despite falling behind fast early.

-Thought Leopold was again one of the better defensemen for us.

-Congrats RJ and Dale :handclap

Bad:
-Defensive breakdowns all night. This team isn't going deep in the playoffs unless they tighten up this area of their game. Just awful.

-I didn't like Myers, Sekera, or Gragnani tonight.

-Miller tightened up as the game progressed but just really does NOT look himself in there. I'd like to see Lindy go back to Enroth next game.

Ugly:
-Cody's eye. Roy's dive.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The Good -

- Finding a way to win
- Gaustad was one of the few good forwards tonight
- Roy in the offensive zone
- Gragnani -- best game he's played all year. And yes, that is damning him with faint praise.
- Tropp rewarded for some hustle
- McCormick and Glass with one helluva tilt.
- Vanek and Pommer keep rolling
- The PP getting on track

The Bad

- Jesus, Mary and Joseph couldn't help Andrej Sekera play defense tonight.
- When MA Gragnani is your best defenseman, there is a problem.
- Blown coverages
- Bad clearing attempts
- Early zone exits
- Regehr's worst game as a Sabre. It may have been covering for Leopold's weakness on the puck and inability to move an in-zone pass from tape to tape but he whiffed on the PP clear and then missed the man in front on the ensuing goal.
- Gerbe with one good play negated by several stupid penalties and a couple of blown clears. One of the penalties lead to a goal against.

The Ugly

- Some fans reaction to the early goals against.

11-08-2011, 09:50 PM
MGIII
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
QFT

Pommer has taken his game to a whole new stratosphere this year. He was the right choice for captain. and he's the #1 center we've all been dreaming of.
I don't think so. I think Pomms is benefiting as much from Vanek as Adam and Vanek are benefiting from Pomms. It's not just putting Pomms on that line because he's playing like a number one center, it just looks that way because their chemistry is so pure right now.

Pomm is not a #1 center, however.

Old
11-08-2011, 09:51 PM
LGB24

there was a lot of good in this game, however the 12 powerplays were the only reason we came out with the W

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:51 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Ruff : "Ryan Miller needs to be better, he was fighting it tonight"
Everybody knows that Miller has to play better. Even Miller knows that Miller has to be better. This team isn't going to go far allowing five goals a game. Defensive breakdowns or not...Lindy's right. Miller is still this team's #1, because frankly, he's better than Enroth. That said, I'd like to see Enroth next game. Whenever that is.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:53 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Jets fan here I come in peace! Question for you guys, do you think the Jets are a undiciplined team? 11 penalties is crazy. Personally I thought we had a lot of bad calls on us. Might be a little biased on my opinion so that's why I'm wondering what you guys thought. Nice win tho you guys have an exciting team to watch.
You guys were playing old time hockey unfortunately they outlawed that a few years back.

For instance, I'm all for sticking up for your goalie but running over Roy (a known diver) when he was turning away after the whistle is about the dumbest play you could have made.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Both...... You took stupid penalties and had a few bad ones called on you.
The Stuart call was one that he should just know better. Don't punch a guy, and heaven help you that you're punching a guy who is going to go down when you do. But there was ticky-tacky **** all night. Myers for interference by moving a stick out of his passing lane? Really? The one call on Ladd, interfering with Gerbe getting out to cover the point man is something that happens a dozen times every game and this time they called it?? Really refs?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Beerz

BillHoppeSabres Bill Hoppe
#Sabres Ryan Miller: "To be completely honest, after those first two, it was like, ‘Oh, we’re going to do this again, huh?’ ...

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Nice to see the own-age at the dot tonight. For a team that is chicken **** to ice the puck, do it. Take the faceoff and trust in the faceoff men to get the draw rather than doing all the dinky, weak in-zone passing and forced give-aways.

Old
11-08-2011, 09:58 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Sometimes you win games you shouldn't. Miller stunk. Again. I don't know how anybody can say he was even average. Few big saves. Just not there for team really.
He'll come out of it but right now he looks shaky. I'm not sure how you can say otherwise but yet the Buffalo News writes in its game story:

On most of Winnipeg's goals, it didn't matter who was in net. The Sabres used Miller, but it could've been Jhonas Enroth, Dominik Hasek or Georges Vezina. The way Buffalo turned over pucks and lost track of players, the chances of anyone stopping the shots were slim.

Does anyone in this town remember Hasek? We score three in any game and it was practically an automatic win. I don't hold Miller up to the Hasek standard. That's not fair. But I do want more from him and I'd let him sit the next game.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The ****ing amazing -- playing like **** and winning three in a row... and being one point out of first in the division.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGIII View Post
I don't think so. I think Pomms is benefiting as much from Vanek as Adam and Vanek are benefiting from Pomms. It's not just putting Pomms on that line because he's playing like a number one center, it just looks that way because their chemistry is so pure right now.

Pomm is not a #1 center, however.
yea, i mean, he's only 3rd in scoring among centers in the entire league, taking all the neutral zone and defensive zone responsibilities of a center, and he's first on the team in ice time among forwards, and being the key guy on both special teams 1st units.

He also has almost as many faceoffs as the pretend center on his line (Adam), while being 10% higher in the circle then him.

Jason Pominville is the Buffalo Sabres #1 center.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:05 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Sometimes you win games you shouldn't. Miller stunk. Again. I don't know how anybody can say he was even average. Few big saves. Just not there for team really.
He'll come out of it but right now he looks shaky. I'm not sure how you can say otherwise but yet the Buffalo News writes in its game story:

On most of Winnipeg's goals, it didn't matter who was in net. The Sabres used Miller, but it could've been Jhonas Enroth, Dominik Hasek or Georges Vezina. The way Buffalo turned over pucks and lost track of players, the chances of anyone stopping the shots were slim.

Does anyone in this town remember Hasek? We score three in any game and it was practically an automatic win. I don't hold Miller up to the Hasek standard. That's not fair. But I do want more from him and I'd let him sit the next game.
Yeah, I agree he wasn't good at all. He stopped what he had to stop but nothing impressive. I would put him in again, try to work him out of this funk. We got a win for him, so that has to do something for him. Everyone slumps, he looks like he has no confidence going, and the team did play poorly for him. Need to give him more playing time me thinks.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
BillHoppeSabres Bill Hoppe
#Sabres Ryan Miller: "To be completely honest, after those first two, it was like, ‘Oh, we’re going to do this again, huh?’ ...
I expect someone to seize upon the word "we're" and go on an accountability rant.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:07 PM
RiotAct
Panickin' 4 Hanifin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
That sort of "Diving" is the #1 reason why the Flyers went on too round two last spring, and we did not. I'm not a fan of it, but the players don't get too choose the battle field, they only get to figure out how to survive it. They are learning.
well I mean, I'd say us not showing up to play for Game 7 was the number ONE reason... lol

RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I expect someone to seize upon the word "we're" and go on an accountability rant.
i was going to go on the "mental game" rant... but im over it. no need to argue what others don't see.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:09 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Good:
- I don't know if I was seeing things, but Ehrhoff looked 1000% more confident in OT, as little as he was out there.
- Vanek working hard for opportunities. If he can keep working this hard all year, no reason to think he won't be in consideration for the Hart.. unless...
- Pominville keeps up his play. Named captain. Converted to center. Lighting it the **** up.
- These guys' chemistry is off the charts right now. NO hesitation. Find an opening, get it there, get it to the net.
- Goooose. It's these types of games why he'll stay around in the NHL a long time.
- Roy producing while not the #1C? Awesome.
- Leopold. Hasn't been great, but pretty consistent this year. About what I expect from him, so I'm happy.
- Tropp netting his first
- Cody with a solid fight

Bad:
- Gerbe, bad penalties. Dumb dive, I think? I'm not sure why he'd do that because he would have had a great scoring chance, which he usually fights tooth and nail to get. Maybe the stick got him under his padding?
- Miller. Below average, but not horrible game. I hope to see him next game and see some improvement.
- Ellis and his usual show of having a great game or two, then being mostly invisible. Though, he never hurts the team, so it's not that bad.

Ugly:
- Myers. What the **** is he doing. Brainfarts galore. I'm wondering if he has the flu or something right now because he looked slow and out of it.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:13 PM
HockeyTerror

G:
winning
Pommer
Vanek
Roy
Miller looking better as the game went on, he'll be better on Friday

B:
Myers-Sekera were craptastic
Miller shakey the first half

U:
Defensive zone coverage. It was scary bad

HockeyTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
yea, i mean, he's only 3rd in scoring among centers in the entire league, taking all the neutral zone and defensive zone responsibilities of a center, and he's first on the team in ice time among forwards, and being the key guy on both special teams 1st units.

He also has almost as many faceoffs as the pretend center on his line (Adam), while being 10% higher in the circle then him.

Jason Pominville is the Buffalo Sabres #1 center.
I agree, though it is clear Ruff still doesn't quite trust him fully taking faceoffs as he's only taken just over 10% of his FO in the defensive zone with the overwhelming majority of them being in the offensive zone.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote