HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some things that are obvious so far.

Old
11-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Wedregast

vCash: 50
Some things that are obvious so far.

We're only 14% into this season, a little early for a true dissection of this team, but there are some things starting to become obvious in both the wins and losses.

*Okposo needs a change of scenery. He is regressing from looking like he should be a legit 2nd line winger to a top 9 winger at best. Snow should look to trade him before his value drops further and his confidence plummets more.

*Bailey need to get demoted to the AHL. Without confidence he is not going to progress in any way. It's worth him potentially getting taken by another team on waivers to pass him to the AHL. Otherwise he has no trade value, and no value to the team now.

*Snow needs to get at least 1 defenseman to stabilize the defense. Mottau and Eaton should be placed on waivers unless they can be thrown into a Okposo trade. MacDonald and Hamonic need to be playing bottom 4 minutes. Streit needs a legit top 2 defenseman for a partner. Staois/Jucina should only be bottom pairing.

*Moulson/Grabner both look like they are slowly waking up. Not there yet, but getting there. I wouldn't worry about either, but I'd look for ways to speed up their progress.

*Tavares/Nielsen and Pap look fine. They just need their line-mates to wake up.

*Martin is showing himself to be a really good 3rd line winger for now and the future.

*The goalie situation. So far it hasn't been an issue. A 3 goalie rotation is not realistic, and if Snow is looking to trade Nabby for a 2nd that's fine. We have insurance for when DP gets re-injured in Poulin. Montoya has shown himself to be a good goalie so far, not stellar. But this is the least of our worries.

Anyway that's my 2c on the team so far.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:14 AM
the sweetener

vCash: 500
they cant demote bailey w/ out exposing him to waivers and i think there is a good chance he would be claimed. as far as trading okposo goes id more likely to part w/ comeau or possibly bailey than KO. and i agree w/ you that the defense needs an upgrade.

if i was snow id be looking to package nabby & comeau for a dman.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Sneekypete

If the Isles can find a Top 4 Dman and a gritty 3rd line center it would do wonders for them but they have other issues.
The teams forecheck is terrible with the exception of the top line. Last year the Isles pressed and pressed, playing the body and causing havoc and turnovers this year there is no grit to there game. They are playing soft as a team minus a couple of guys.
Also the turnovers in there own end are absolutely sickening, Eaton and Jurcina were and have been exposed brutally this season if u could seperate them that may help but I would rather see one traded. A 3rd pairing Dman should have 2 things, shutdown ability and grittyness. Jurcina while having a little sandpaper is ultra soft for his size.
Also the 4th line has 0 grit and or competitive spirit, there is nothing like watching players go thru the motions....

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
We're only 14% into this season, a little early for a true dissection of this team, but there are some things starting to become obvious in both the wins and losses.

*Okposo needs a change of scenery. He is regressing from looking like he should be a legit 2nd line winger to a top 9 winger at best. Snow should look to trade him before his value drops further and his confidence plummets more.

*Bailey need to get demoted to the AHL. Without confidence he is not going to progress in any way. It's worth him potentially getting taken by another team on waivers to pass him to the AHL. Otherwise he has no trade value, and no value to the team now.

*Snow needs to get at least 1 defenseman to stabilize the defense. Mottau and Eaton should be placed on waivers unless they can be thrown into a Okposo trade. MacDonald and Hamonic need to be playing bottom 4 minutes. Streit needs a legit top 2 defenseman for a partner. Staois/Jucina should only be bottom pairing.

*Moulson/Grabner both look like they are slowly waking up. Not there yet, but getting there. I wouldn't worry about either, but I'd look for ways to speed up their progress.

*Tavares/Nielsen and Pap look fine. They just need their line-mates to wake up.

*Martin is showing himself to be a really good 3rd line winger for now and the future.

*The goalie situation. So far it hasn't been an issue. A 3 goalie rotation is not realistic, and if Snow is looking to trade Nabby for a 2nd that's fine. We have insurance for when DP gets re-injured in Poulin. Montoya has shown himself to be a good goalie so far, not stellar. But this is the least of our worries.

Anyway that's my 2c on the team so far.
-KO has not looked good at all so far this season, but I am starting to see improvement. Early on, it appeared that he was trying to do to much (really, it looked like some weird hybrid of Tavares and Mike Comrie). But over the last 2 maybe 3 games, he seems to be simplifying his game and using his body more to move and protect the puck. He could still stand to lay more hits, but hopefully this will come to. But having said that, I wouldn't be adamant against trading him for a player that will go a long way to improving this team. I just don't think it would be a good idea to trade him for the sake of getting him off the team.

-As others have mentioned, Bailey can't be demoted without clearing waivers; meaning, he won't clear waivers. He also started off looking terrible. But like KO, I'm noticing some improvement over the last handful of games and has looked considerably better since he's been paired with Martin and Pandolfo. But he still has plenty of work to do. I feel the same about him as I do about KO. Move him for the right player, not just to get him off the team.

-There's no question that the D needs help. At least one of Eaton, Staios or Jurcina needs to join Mottau in the box. I would personally keep Staios in while platooning Eaton and Staios. But as there is no trade market this early in the season, the idea of a trade for the type of player needed is nothing more than wishful thinking. The market won't open up until the new year earliest and maybe even the All-Star break depending on how many teams are still in the hunt.

-Agree on Moulson and Grabner. That line seems to be looking better every time they hit the ice together. Sometimes it takes time to build chemistry. Let's hope something develops with those 3.

-JT looks fine if not trying to do too much. Nielson looks like what he is, a good 3rd line center. He's playing slightly above his skillset at this point in time. PAP is what PAP always was, a player who can supply some secondary scoring but whose minutes should be limited due to his poor hockey sense and tendency to **** the bed. I like him a lot better on the 3rd line, but it still drives me up a wall to watch him play!

-Martin almost got another one last night. As far as I'm concerned, he's only one of 2 players who is willing to play physical on this team. He consistently finishes his checks, fights when he has to (and really, who else besides Martin and Hamonic is actually going to drop the gloves on this squad?) and goes to the net. Get Rolston off the Top 3 lines and give this kid more playing time. Let's see what he does with that kind of opportunity.

-Agree about the goalie situation. It can't carry on much longer. If Nabby is really on the block, then Montoya should be starting at least 75% of the games. Ricky has proven adequate when playing and I think the key to his health is not overworking him. If Montoya plays the vast majority of the games, we shouldn't have to worry about seeing the likes of Poulin, Nilsson or Koskinen up with the Isles this early in the year.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:26 AM
islandermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
If the Isles can find a Top 4 Dman and a gritty 3rd line center it would do wonders for them but they have other issues.
The teams forecheck is terrible with the exception of the top line. Last year the Isles pressed and pressed, playing the body and causing havoc and turnovers this year there is no grit to there game. They are playing soft as a team minus a couple of guys.
Also the turnovers in there own end are absolutely sickening, Eaton and Jurcina were and have been exposed brutally this season if u could seperate them that may help but I would rather see one traded. A 3rd pairing Dman should have 2 things, shutdown ability and grittyness. Jurcina while having a little sandpaper is ultra soft for his size.
Also the 4th line has 0 grit and or competitive spirit, there is nothing like watching players go thru the motions....
Eaton is terrible, he is better than Mottau which is why he is playing. I give them credit for not trying to rush Dehann, Ness and Donovan but i don't know why Wishart doesn't get a shot over Eaton and Mottau. I also think the positive in the guys who are playing poorly is that we have some kids(Ullstrom, Dibo, maybe even Czikas) who can come up and perhaps wouldn't lead us to replacing crap with more crap.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Something that's obvious... THIS RASH ISN'T GOING AWAY!

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Belarus

In our games I saw this season Islanders were outworked and outhustled in almost every one of them. This team, besides obvious lack of scoring depth, lacks speed and toughness - two crucial components of present NHL. We're not going anywhere, guys. Not when our major offseason trade is Rolston, our biggest offseason FA signing is Reasoner and our young guys (Okposo, Bailey) play like they do not belong in the league. It's gonna be a long season. Again

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:01 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
-KO has not looked good at all so far this season, but I am starting to see improvement. Early on, it appeared that he was trying to do to much (really, it looked like some weird hybrid of Tavares and Mike Comrie). But over the last 2 maybe 3 games, he seems to be simplifying his game and using his body more to move and protect the puck. He could still stand to lay more hits, but hopefully this will come to. But having said that, I wouldn't be adamant against trading him for a player that will go a long way to improving this team. I just don't think it would be a good idea to trade him for the sake of getting him off the team.

-As others have mentioned, Bailey can't be demoted without clearing waivers; meaning, he won't clear waivers. He also started off looking terrible. But like KO, I'm noticing some improvement over the last handful of games and has looked considerably better since he's been paired with Martin and Pandolfo. But he still has plenty of work to do. I feel the same about him as I do about KO. Move him for the right player, not just to get him off the team.

-There's no question that the D needs help. At least one of Eaton, Staios or Jurcina needs to join Mottau in the box. I would personally keep Staios in while platooning Eaton and Staios. But as there is no trade market this early in the season, the idea of a trade for the type of player needed is nothing more than wishful thinking. The market won't open up until the new year earliest and maybe even the All-Star break depending on how many teams are still in the hunt.

-Agree on Moulson and Grabner. That line seems to be looking better every time they hit the ice together. Sometimes it takes time to build chemistry. Let's hope something develops with those 3.

-JT looks fine if not trying to do too much. Nielson looks like what he is, a good 3rd line center. He's playing slightly above his skillset at this point in time. PAP is what PAP always was, a player who can supply some secondary scoring but whose minutes should be limited due to his poor hockey sense and tendency to **** the bed. I like him a lot better on the 3rd line, but it still drives me up a wall to watch him play!

-Martin almost got another one last night. As far as I'm concerned, he's only one of 2 players who is willing to play physical on this team. He consistently finishes his checks, fights when he has to (and really, who else besides Martin and Hamonic is actually going to drop the gloves on this squad?) and goes to the net. Get Rolston off the Top 3 lines and give this kid more playing time. Let's see what he does with that kind of opportunity.

-Agree about the goalie situation. It can't carry on much longer. If Nabby is really on the block, then Montoya should be starting at least 75% of the games. Ricky has proven adequate when playing and I think the key to his health is not overworking him. If Montoya plays the vast majority of the games, we shouldn't have to worry about seeing the likes of Poulin, Nilsson or Koskinen up with the Isles this early in the year.
I agree with most of what you said. I personally think Staios does the little things to help this team out more than the other bottom pairing Dmen, so I'd keep him.

-As far as Okposo goes, he's just not that good. (This isn't being being reactive, when he signed his extension I said he didn't deserve it).

Okposo looks lost and soft on the ice. The caps game he was terrible in btw.

it was 5-3 (Caps scored one PPG), and Okposo still ended the game with a -2.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:18 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

They need killer instinct. I'd not mind seeing Bailey, Comeau, AND Okposo go; it promotes Niederreiter & Haley and adds sandpaper, speed and swagger, three thing the team needs more right now. Adding Okie to a deal/making him the centerpiece can pry loose a defenseman of worth BECAUSE of the contract.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
I agree with most of what you said. I personally think Staios does the little things to help this team out more than the other bottom pairing Dmen, so I'd keep him.

-As far as Okposo goes, he's just not that good. (This isn't being being reactive, when he signed his extension I said he didn't deserve it).

Okposo looks lost and soft on the ice. The caps game he was terrible in btw.

it was 5-3 (Caps scored one PPG), and Okposo still ended the game with a -2.
I agree about Staios. I re-read my post and noticed a typing error. I meant to write that I'd keep Staios in while platooning Eaton and Jurcina.

If Okposo could score 20-something goals a year while providing a physical presence, then he would be helpful. But you're right, at the moment he looks soft and lost. I don't think he was great in the game vs. the Caps or the Bruins, but I think he did look better in those two games than he did in any of the previous matches. But he obviously still has to improve a lot. I hope he's on his way to getting back to where he was pre-injury. And that's why I'm hesitant to move him at the moment. He has shown glimpses of being the player everyone thought he can be. Whether or not he can get back to that level remains to be seen...

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
We need grit, plain and simple

Bench Rolston-Nino Time
Waive Pandalfo-Promote Haley
Trade Comeau

Keep KO and Bailey

do somthing with Mottau anything but the ice

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:04 PM
StrongIslanders90

We are not who we thought we were.....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:05 PM
StrongIslanders90

Also I feel bad for Tavares....Kid plays his HEART out and has no one even close to his level to help him....Do you think Seguine would have all those chanses without Patrice Bergeron??? We need a star winger for JT....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
We are not who we thought we were.....
and we are beyond weak, we are not the red wings, we are not gonna win on skill, we get outworked out muscled and out skilled we can change 2 of those and develop properly the 3rd one

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:28 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Flyers fan coming in peace. How has Parenteau been this year, thus far?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:34 PM
MJP

we suck. snow needs to go. pandolfo, reasoner, rolston, bailey, okposo need to go. Anyone who doesn't see this is pretty dumb

MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:32 PM
brassbonanza13

I agree that this season has been extremely frustrating to watch. Here are the main negatives:

-Bailey used to have that spark when he played, even if he wasn't always putting the puck in the net, or racking up the points. His creativity and hands in the offensive zone used to jump out at you, but lately he just looks tentative and lost. He's got no energy or confidence.

-Similar with Okposo: he used to have an explosive look to him, but lately he just simply looks like a terrible hockey player. He loses the puck constantly and has absolutely no confidence. Cappy has to do something with both these guys...maybe it's scratching them for a game or two. Okposo is particularly troubling since he is here for the long haul.

-We give the puck away far too much in the defensive zone. I like the energy Hamonic brings, but how often do you seem him just wrapping it around the boards instead of making a crisp outlet pass? Eaton and Mottau are brutal to watch back there. It's been said over and over, but it would be amazing how much difference a legit top 4 d-man would make.

-We really need to get more physical and play with more speed. Haley isn't the smartest, nor the most skilled player, but he brings some energy and toughness that we are desperately lacking.

But on the other hand, I think people are getting a bit too carried away, since it is only 12 games in. Here are some positives to work with:

-I honestly think (forget the Bruins game) we've outplayed a lot of the teams we've faced in the last couple of weeks. How many times have we outshot our opponents? We've just had a hell of a time actually lighting the lamp, and it shows in the wins column.

-Goaltending has been surprisingly solid. We really have to start getting some wins and letting Montoya get into a rhythm is key.

-Comeau has been bad, but at least he looks like he's starting to get chances again. Give him a little time.

-How quickly people turn on Jurcina. He hasn't looked good at all, but he's coming off of injury, so let's give him time to shake the rust off.

-Matt Martin looks awesome. He should be getting 3rd line minutes for sure.

-Once we get some linemates for Tavares, he is going to be a stud. He's already over a ppg even with the rest of the team faltering.

brassbonanza13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:04 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassbonanza13 View Post
-Once we get some linemates for Tavares, he is going to be a stud. He's already over a ppg even with the rest of the team faltering.
The Isles are on that already. They have several babies around age 2 they are developing and who should be ready in about 16 years.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote