HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's wrong with Paajarvi??

Old
11-07-2011, 10:36 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
There's nothing wrong with Paajarvi.

He isn't going to rip a wrister top corner coming down the wing, he isn't going to be a big physical powerforward, he isn't going to abandon the defensive game to be more offensive, and he isn't going to produce numbers playing a limited role.

The expectations of him doing these things is what's wrong.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
The problem is his brain doesn't click when it comes to offense. As mentioned by many countless times, if he plays like Hall, he'd probably be able to pot a few already. It's too bad his "trademark" go wide then try to cut in followed by weak wrister is already a known thing amongst opposing D-man.
Hall has 3 goals right now and wait for it...... HE IS TAYLOR HALL! How many times have we seen Hall try to split D this year? How many times have we seen him drive all the way to the net? My guess is not all that many more than Paajarvi has. Hall has played with Eberle and RNH as well so he has a major advantage in linemates. People are fine with Eberle, but he looked every bit as lost as Paajarvi before he was placed with the #1 picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
MPS is 20, Gagner is 22. That's why.

I think MPS gets way too much of a free ride on these boards at times, we always talk about getting linemates for him but when does he get some of the blame? He loves the patented Ethan Moreau soft wrister from the boards, he needs to get that out of his game right now, just stop it. Those shots will never go in. And unlike Hall, as soon as MPS takes a hard hit he's invisible for the rest of the game.

Hey Gagner and Belanger are probably more to blame for that line's struggles but let's stop treating MPS with kid gloves. He just doesn't have as much offensive potential as everyone likes to think.
Paajarvi does need to cut out the weak wrister from just inside the blueline, however a number of his shots have created rebounds, problem is that no one is there to clean up the garbage. Also his linemates don't exactly = offensively creative or good support players for his game, although Gagner is allegedly the shiz I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Since when I have allways stated he has been underwhelming to date but not near as bad as people peg him. At the same time I was telling people 2 years ago not to hold their breath on PRV that his production in the SEL did not spell offense. There are many fast players in the League that can't produce offense no matter who they are played with.So should we sacrafice a player who can produce 60 points on the wing on top two lines so we can make Prv look good at 40 points. Because Hall and Smyth are way better than PRV at offense. Now Prv has shown signs he can be a great shutdown winger I think this is where he should focus and learn offense from experience.
Smyth is better now, but for how long? Is he in his early 30's? As for Gagner being a 60 point winger, I wasn't aware that he'd bump Eberle off the 106 line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorHall View Post
Two words: sophomore slump. I didn't expect all of the "Big 3" to have a quick start this season plus Eberle/Hall have the benefit of playing with RNH who seems to make everybody play better.

Would like to see these 2 lines:

hall-horcoff-eberle (looked very good last season)
paajarvi-rnh-hemsky (I haven't watched many games this season but I remember seeing Paajarvi get some good chances when he was very briefly paired with MPS.)

rest of lineup:

smyth-belanger/gagner-jones/gagner/omark (demote belanger to 4th line if his offensive slump continues)
eager-lander/gagner-petrell
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post

Happy?
IMO all 3 kids from last year have had varied levels of the sophomore slump TBH, it's just that Paajarvi hasn't gotten to play with a guy like RNH to help him through it.

11-07-2011, 10:41 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
There's nothing wrong with Paajarvi.

He isn't going to rip a wrister top corner coming down the wing, he isn't going to be a big physical powerforward, he isn't going to abandon the defensive game to be more offensive, and he isn't going to produce numbers playing a limited role.

The expectations of him doing these things is what's wrong.

With his size and speed it's not ridiculous to think he could be an effective powerforward. Whether he ever will be, who knows?

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:43 PM
AK Dandyman

Every time i watched Paajarvi, he seems to be more effective on the right wing than on left wing.

He seems to be able to pass and shoot better on the right wing?

Is it just me?

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:46 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
With his size and speed it's not ridiculous to think he could be an effective powerforward. Whether he ever will be, who knows?
Eventually, I think he could develop a physical side like Hossa, but I meant, he's not just going to just flip a switch and start playing like that overnight.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

@BBO was not reffering to Gagner as the 60 pt winger Hall and Smyth are the other two LW

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:50 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Eventually, I think he could develop a physical side like Hossa, but I meant, he's not just going to just flip a switch and start playing like that overnight.
Oh for sure. And he has shown some glimpses of it from time to time. He just needs to realize he's a big guy and start using his size more often than he is right now to be an effective point getter IMO

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

Paajarvi does need to cut out the weak wrister from just inside the blueline, however a number of his shots have created rebounds, problem is that no one is there to clean up the garbage. Also his linemates don't exactly = offensively creative or good support players for his game, although Gagner is allegedly the shiz I guess.
Are we watching the same games? Paajarvi never creates rebounds with those shots, that's what frustrates me he doesn't even place them them low on the pads to try and make the goalie kick them out, he goes either straight into their gloves or chest.

And I admit Gagner has had a rough start to the season as well, but I think the problem is that those three just don't work well together. I didn't know Belanger had stone hands like that. Either bump Lander up to their line or go with MPS-Gagner-Hemsky and let them face the secondary D pairings and see if they can create some offense.

Eytinge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:45 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Are we watching the same games? Paajarvi never creates rebounds with those shots, that's what frustrates me he doesn't even place them them low on the pads to try and make the goalie kick them out, he goes either straight into their gloves or chest.

And I admit Gagner has had a rough start to the season as well, but I think the problem is that those three just don't work well together. I didn't know Belanger had stone hands like that. Either bump Lander up to their line or go with MPS-Gagner-Hemsky and let them face the secondary D pairings and see if they can create some offense.
I agree with the MPS/Gags/Hemsky line - why dink around with the top two lines...yes the kid line doesn't blaze trails each night but they are nicely covered by the second line. If MPS/Gags/Hemsky can't perform, then someone on that line unfortunately has to go. They have all run out of linemates that they are not compatible with.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
Every time i watched Paajarvi, he seems to be more effective on the right wing than on left wing.

He seems to be able to pass and shoot better on the right wing?

Is it just me?
One of his problems is that he doesn't protect the puck very well when he takes it to the net, IMO it's easier for him to us his body to shield the puck coming towards the net from the RW side.

Quote:
He'll never be confused with Clutterbuck, however watching Horcoff and Smyth this year, hell even RNH or should I say especially RNH, well timed bumps can be very effective. I see no reason why he can't add this to his arsenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
@BBO was not reffering to Gagner as the 60 pt winger Hall and Smyth are the other two LW
I doubt that Smyth hits 60 points this year or in any season the rest of his career TBH.

Quote:

When he's just inside the blueline he rarely creates rebounds, especially if he sends marshmallows on net, however when he was a split second to let it rip he often times creates a rebound opportunity. Gagner has also been guilty of sending extremely soft shots on goal this year yet not a peep from you about it. Also Belanger I agree has shown me the least offensively of any player on this team with the possible exception of Eager and Petrell, yet he's on the 3rd line and worse yet the 2nd PP unit.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:22 PM
loyaloil

Oilers should switch Lander and Belanger on the 3rd line we have already seen that MP has chemistry with Lander from playing with him in sweden and the world jr.

loyaloil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:38 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Speak of the idea of PRV as a Power Forward, I would like to see him play a little more aggressive, and frankly reckless, next game. So he can understand that he is big and strong, and can create is own space.

Go hard on the fore check and crush someone.
If only he could just, I guess "let go" (??), and play a little more like Hall. Without running face first into the boards of course.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

My educated guess is worms.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:09 PM
ZenOil
Russian Pride

This guy is going to win Selke awards when it all comes together. I think a night upstairs is unjust, but I do think a night in the clouds will sharpen his eagle eyes and when he comes back his talons will be sharper than ever. His next victim. Seguin.

ZenOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:21 PM
ZenOil
Russian Pride

The Eagle

Last edited by ZenOil: 03-24-2012 at 02:10 AM.
ZenOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenOil View Post
This guy is going to win Selke awards when it all comes together. I think a night upstairs is unjust, but I do think a night in the clouds will sharpen his eagle eyes and when he comes back his talons will be sharper than ever. His next victim. Seguin.
Winger rarely win the Selke it seems lately. And I doubt he scores enough points to be considered for the Selke.

Eytinge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:01 AM
Komarov47

especially when you don't play. I must say something will happen, Hemsky is back, and MPS was an healthy scratch, wonder if they can send him down to Oklahoma?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:11 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
especially when you don't play. I must say something will happen, Hemsky is back, and MPS was an healthy scratch, wonder if they can send him down to Oklahoma?
You'd have to think that if he is scratched for more than a couple of games that it would be an option.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote