HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Titans\Vols\Dores\Whatever other sport thread(IT ALL GOES HERE) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Legionnaire11

vCash: 500
What happened between Sandusky and the children is definitely vile and he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

But the headhunt for Paterno and PSU Football is where everyone is getting off-base. This has absolutely nothing to do with PSU football. If Paterno steps down, or is forced out because of this, nothing should happen to PSU football. And Paterno should NOT be asked to step down, he is simply the biggest name in all of this and has become the biggest target because of it. Sandusky has been turned in and investigated by police/attorney general TWICE before this arrest. Once in 1998 even before Paterno was made aware of the 2002 incident and again in 2009.

So if this is all just coming out now, why is Paterno the bad guy who has to take the axe for everyone else? He didn't pursue a conclusion that he probably, morally, should have. But he properly reported what he did know. The failure to stop Sandusky occurred before Paterno was even involved. This is not a case of Paterno or anyone in PSU football aiding Sandusky and covering up for him.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:00 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

This is obviously a touchy topic, but attack the post not the poster. If it starts getting bad I'll start cleaning up

Old
11-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
What happened between Sandusky and the children is definitely vile and he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

But the headhunt for Paterno and PSU Football is where everyone is getting off-base. This has absolutely nothing to do with PSU football. If Paterno steps down, or is forced out because of this, nothing should happen to PSU football. And Paterno should NOT be asked to step down, he is simply the biggest name in all of this and has become the biggest target because of it. Sandusky has been turned in and investigated by police/attorney general TWICE before this arrest. Once in 1998 even before Paterno was made aware of the 2002 incident and again in 2009.

So if this is all just coming out now, why is Paterno the bad guy who has to take the axe for everyone else? He didn't pursue a conclusion that he probably, morally, should have. But he properly reported what he did know. The failure to stop Sandusky occurred before Paterno was even involved. This is not a case of Paterno or anyone in PSU football aiding Sandusky and covering up for him.
Why was he still given access to PSU facilities, taking kids to practices up until 2007? Still able to run his charity that did work with the athletic dept. Dude, you must be a PSU fan. Paterno is PSU. Paterno had the power to make him go away. Please, read the 23 page report and tell me it has nothing to do with Penn State athletics. Cause it most certainly does 100%. Tressel at OSU got canned for covering up discounted tattoos. Jo Pa isn't going to stay for not doing enough to protect kids from further abuse. Nor will his bosses.

Last edited by Preds311: 11-08-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old
11-08-2011, 11:55 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

like I said, the GA is the 2nd most at fault here (behind sandusky) he should have stopped it hmself/called the cops. once he gave paterno a report, it became something that needed to be investigated by the school, not paterno. paterno did the right thing, but also did the least amount he had to. I guess I expected a guy with his reputation and sway to do more. I also beleive anyone who knew f it should be canned though

Old
11-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Nitrous Mafia

This has everything to do with PSU football. The number of alleged victims is up to 20 now. Paterno is in a unique position at PSU. He knew enough to make it stop but he and everyone involved in that situation, all the way down to the janitors who caught him redhanded have blood on their hands.

It's attitudes like "it's ok he followed the chain of command" that allowed countless lives to be destroyed.

Old
11-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Legionnaire11

The point is you cannot advocate the "death penalty" and wiping victories from the record book over this. This is not a case of NCAA rules violations, that is why it has nothing to do with PSU football.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:41 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
This has everything to do with PSU football. The number of alleged victims is up to 20 now. Paterno is in a unique position at PSU. He knew enough to make it stop but he and everyone involved in that situation, all the way down to the janitors who caught him redhanded have blood on their hands.

It's attitudes like "it's ok he followed the chain of command" that allowed countless lives to be destroyed.
well, the chain of command needs revamping then doesn't it.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:48 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Former defensive coordinator caught molesting a 10 year old boy in Penn State locker room by assistant who tells head coach and that has nothing to do with Penn State football? Right.

Old
11-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Legionnaire11

There is no connection however. The crime may share same setting as the football program, yet it is completely separate from the football program.

It's the characters involved, and the setting involved that are clouding opinions at the moment. Supporting and defending the program, does not equate to support and defense of Sandusky, his criminal actions, or those who failed to seek resolution of the situation.

Old
11-09-2011, 01:09 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

It does have to do with the Penn St. Program. He was employed by them and used their facilities for it. Granted, I agree no stripping of wins, or sanctions or anything of the such should be levied against the program itself. However legal action should be taken on the coach, the GA and the administration who failed to investigate. It was not Paterno's job to investigate it. when he got the story, at that point it was a report. He did what he was supposed to since he did not witness it. Now, had the coach fessed up to it to Paterno, then yes, Paterno is in the wrong. It is his job to run the football program, not investigate crimes. that is where the adminstration failed.

Old
11-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Drake744
Keep Seth Jones

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
It does have to do with the Penn St. Program. He was employed by them and used their facilities for it. Granted, I agree no stripping of wins, or sanctions or anything of the such should be levied against the program itself. However legal action should be taken on the coach, the GA and the administration who failed to investigate. It was not Paterno's job to investigate it. when he got the story, at that point it was a report. He did what he was supposed to since he did not witness it. Now, had the coach fessed up to it to Paterno, then yes, Paterno is in the wrong. It is his job to run the football program, not investigate crimes. that is where the adminstration failed.
I agree. I don't know if I'm missing anything but still all I've really heard about Paterno's involvement was that he heard about the allegations in 02 and he reported it to people who should have done something that Paterno shouldn't have needed to. Namely, investigate the situation. Yes I heard Sandusky still had access to the university very recently, but I don't know what Paterno knew in retrospect. For all I know, after he reported the situation and didn't hear anything maybe he thought the allegations were false. It's not like Sandusky was gonna admit anything behind closed doors. I have no opinion whatsoever about PSU, but I have a hard time believing Joe Pa was secretly covering up some scandal to protect a coach who had been gone for 12 years. He probably didn't know much of what was going on outside of the allegations from a decade ago. Had Sandusky been investigated, and found guilty of these egregious actions and Paterno still let him hang around then yes he probably should be taking some of the fall for this, but I think it's a convenient reason to let him go. If Joe Pa was.....I don't know....Mack Brown (very good and well-respected coach but not 84 years old) I don't know if they would be calling for his job so aggressively.

Old
11-09-2011, 02:26 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the NCAA as not just a punishment but as a moral issue should allow any current player the right to transfer with no penalty.

I know I wouldn't want my 17 or 18 year old son on that team.

Old
11-09-2011, 02:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
well, the chain of command needs revamping then doesn't it.
Chain of commands ass.

As a father, or even just as a human. I know, if I walk in on a co-worker doing this, be it my boss, the owner of the company, whoever, I'm reporting this to the police, piss on the chain of command. This is not an employment issue this is a police matter and criminal activity, it has nothing to do with the flow chart of their office. They are not the military they do not get to handle something like this in house.

Joe didn't do the right thing, and he knows he didn't he was just as much as part of the cover-up as anyone else. This mess makes me ashamed to be a college football fan just like the Priest cover-up made me ashamed of being Catholic.

Old
11-09-2011, 03:26 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Chain of commands ass.

As a father, or even just as a human. I know, if I walk in on a co-worker doing this, be it my boss, the owner of the company, whoever, I'm reporting this to the police, piss on the chain of command. This is not an employment issue this is a police matter and criminal activity, it has nothing to do with the flow chart of their office. They are not the military they do not get to handle something like this in house.

Joe didn't do the right thing, and he knows he didn't he was just as much as part of the cover-up as anyone else. This mess makes me ashamed to be a college football fan just like the Priest cover-up made me ashamed of being Catholic.

Maybe I was not clear. I lay fault of the GA that did nothing when he watched it. I said a few posts ago that the GA should have 1)stopped it 2) called the cops 3) called child services. Once it hit paternos hands he did what he was supposed to do and run it up the ladder. When it hit paternos hands there was nothing based in fact. Just what someone said he saw. Might as well have been heresey without a police investigation.

I do not think this should be a witch hunt on Paterno. the GA and Sandusky should be facing charges and the President and AD who are supposed to be involved in matters like this should be facing charges as well.

Old
11-09-2011, 03:58 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

You're saying you don't think Joe Pa knew it was going on?

Did Joe Pa tell the GA to go to the police or to the AD?

Old
11-09-2011, 04:13 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
You're saying you don't think Joe Pa knew it was going on?

Did Joe Pa tell the GA to go to the police or to the AD?
from what I read, Paterno took the report from the GA and sent it to the AD. It is not his job to conduct an investigation, it is the department. Should Paterno have called the police? any reasonable human says yes. but he took the info like he was supposed to and sent it up.

Old
11-09-2011, 06:22 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
from what I read, Paterno took the report from the GA and sent it to the AD. It is not his job to conduct an investigation, it is the department. Should Paterno have called the police? any reasonable human says yes. but he took the info like he was supposed to and sent it up.
Is that the type of person you want as a "leader of young men"?

Joe Pa should be fired.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:55 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Hopefully this scandal has some benefit and puts into perspective the scandals at Miami and Ohio State. I can't help but feel bad for Paterno, whose legacy will be forever tainted in much the same way that Woody Hayes and Bill Buckner have had their careers reduced to irrelevance because of one singular act. But, based on what little I know, it's difficult to support Paterno in this matter because it does appear he did the absolute minimum required by the university. It appears his loyalty to a long-time assistant damaged his moral compass.

I'm not sure how I feel about sanctions, but I don't think I'd be too upset if significant sanctions were levied in a way that didn't punish current players. This is, arguably, the single largest scandal in the history of college athletics and dwarfs the scandals at UCLA, with Sam Gilbert, and SMU and the death penalty.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:00 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

aaaaaand fired.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Nitrous Mafia

"first" incident in 1998.
May of 1999 Paterno tells the pedo he's no longer part of the staff.

Why? Might I ask.

Old
11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Legionnaire11

The absurdity of this will hit it's heights on Saturday when Paterno is not on the PSU sideline and Mike McQueary is.

If that's not proof of a misguided headhunt for the most visible figure in the situation, I don't know what is. This story has become completely focused on Paterno and football, and is almost ignoring the real issue. Disgusting.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
The absurdity of this will hit it's heights on Saturday when Paterno is not on the PSU sideline and Mike McQueary is.

If that's not proof of a misguided headhunt for the most visible figure in the situation, I don't know what is. This story has become completely focused on Paterno and football, and is almost ignoring the real issue. Disgusting.
While I'll agree, Sandusky was on-site using the football facility last week and from what I've heard still ran camps at Penn St, so it's not like he cut ties with the perv.

He was fired, as he should have been.

He was just as guilty as the Bishops that only reported the bad Priest to their Cardinals and did nothing else.

Old
11-10-2011, 11:57 PM
cleangene

Mike McQueary will not be on the sidelines for this joke of a game that's going to be played Saturday. I'm still shocked about how many people are feeling sorry for the coaching staff and administrators who've lost jobs, but yet hardly ANY reports about sympathy for THE VICTIMS. Again, WHAT ABOUT THE VICTIMS? THE VICTIMS?? THE VICTIMS??????

Old
11-11-2011, 09:18 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
I'm sure the lawsuits will be rolling in shortly.

Old
11-11-2011, 08:42 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
wow.. didnt realize vandys hoops team was so highly regarded...

the SEC East in basketball is as loaded as the SEC West is in football...

Closed Thread