HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miller has explicit desire to return to net and win

Old
11-08-2011, 12:37 PM
puckish66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Do you seriously believe that quote was not taken out of context to some extent? A teammate basically throwing his starting goalie under the bus saying they play harder for the back-up than him. It's not a matter of shooting the messenger, it's a matter of questioning whether or not the messenger took the quote out of context.
It could easily be interpreted as the players throwing himself and the rest of the team, not including Miller, under the bus.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:40 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The difference between the current media and those of years ago is obvious and striking.

When Jim Kelley was covering the team, if a player made a comment like that, would do some more digging with it. He'd talk to other players on the team, in confidence, to find out if other players felt the same way, or it was something team wide.

Vogl? Just blurts it out there and let's the reader make their own, probably incorrect, inference. He also never explores the reasons why the player made that comment. Maybe the players relax because they assume Miller will cover their mistakes? None of that is considered.

Vogl was poking the bear, and he knew it. The current generation of journalists seem to forget that they aren't supposed to create a story, they're supposed to report on them.
Let's drop the word journalist when talking about sports writers, at least the local crew. Not a journalist in the bunch. He asked a question, got an answer and told us what that answer was. I want to see more of it. Unless Vogl screwed up by tricking the player into thinking it was off the record, or reported the answer out of context, etc., there's no problem.

Old
11-08-2011, 12:42 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
I think it has more to do with how long Miller has been the starting goaltender. How many people were calling for Darcy's head until they realized that he's actually quite good, just didn't have the funds to do much until now.
I'm afraid you're equating "quite good" and "doing much."

Old
11-08-2011, 12:42 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'm not agreeing with Vogl but teams having confidence or the lack of confidence in a goalie is real. Had Vogl approached the issue from a confidence angle his point may have been received differently? For example, it's common knowledge that coaches often pull goal tenders to spark a team, one could say coaches pull goalies hoping the team will play harder for the new goalie. I think Miller will get the next start and do well, some competition for even one of the best in the world is a good thing.

To build on that

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

Quote:
Ruff said he's sensed a difference in his team since the seven-minute nightmare Wednesday against Philadelphia that saw Miller get yanked after giving up three goals. The Sabres dominated the final 40 minutes of that game and then put together solid efforts against Calgary and Ottawa.

"I think that was a big wakeup call and I tried to use putting the goalie in without taking a timeout as the opportunity to talk to the team," Ruff said. "The referee was lambasting me at the same time but that situation is an eye-opener. We got off to a good start [to the season]. We were a little off track, a little inconsistent and we need to get back to being a lot harder team on the puck and lot harder team to play against when we don't have it."

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:49 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Let's drop the word journalist when talking about sports writers, at least the local crew. Not a journalist in the bunch. He asked a question, got an answer and told us what that answer was. I want to see more of it. Unless Vogl screwed up by tricking the player into thinking it was off the record, or reported the answer out of context, etc., there's no problem.
Of course you dont see a problem. It fits your narrative.

It was CLEARLY out of context. A one line response from a single player, without context of discussion.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:54 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Of course you dont see a problem. It fits your narrative.

It was CLEARLY out of context. A one line response from a single player, without context of discussion.
You weren't there. You don't know that it was out of context. This wasn't David Frost interviewing Richard Nixon. Vogl probably saw the player, asked if the team has been playing harder for Enroth, and got a short confirming answer.

Old
11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
You weren't there. You don't know that it was out of context. This wasn't David Frost interviewing Richard Nixon. Vogl probably saw the player, asked if the team has been playing harder for Enroth, and got a short confirming answer.
You're making all sorts of assumptions about the conversation, we're simply saying that we don't know in what context the quote was made or even what was meant by it.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:01 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

vCash: 50
Quote:
I highly doubt that it was a short answer. Usually statements from players like that about their play in front of goaltenders tends to have a lot of, you know, context surrounding them.

Quote:
I'm afraid you're equating "quite good" and "doing much."
Jury's out on Leino still, and perhaps Ehrhoff too, to a certain extent. Regehr's been fantastic. Given the UFA market he had to work with, I give Darcy a B+.

I take it you don't agree; that's fine. I haven't seen any "fire Regier" threads lately so I take it the fan base in general approves of the job he's been doing, a far cry from previous years.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:02 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
So I can't say it wasn't out of context because I wasn't there, but you can provide context because...you weren't there? Ok.

The problem with is that the quote was presented to the reader without context. The reader should be allowed to formulate their own opinion, but it's up to the reporter to provide enough information so the reader can do that.

It's not being done, and it's not being done on purpose. Controversy sell papers.

Old
11-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Jason Pominville has spent a lot of time with Miller over the years. The captain said he tried to help his friend through it, “Ryan took it hard definitely, it wasn’t an easy thing for him to go through so we had a little talk, don’t change your relationship just because of what’s going on. I think he’s handled it well, he’s worked hard at practice, he’s been on the ice early, doing stuff with our goalie coach. Ryan won us a game in Montreal and all of a sudden everybody is going the other way because Jhonas played well, but we feel comfortable with whoever’s in there, but Ryan’s our top goalie and he would be probably on every team in this league so it was just a little bit of a tough time for him and he’s worked his way out of it.”
http://wgr550.com/HAMILTON--Miller-s...-back/11411848

Sabretip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Interesting word choice: relationship. Relationship with whom? The fans for booing him, and seemingly cheering when Enroth was replacing him, and because a segment wants him out of here yesterday? The coach? The team? The media? Sounds like things were pretty dark in Miller's life there for a few days.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:20 PM
puckish66

Quote:
So I can't say it wasn't out of context because I wasn't there, but you can provide context because...you weren't there? Ok.

The problem with is that the quote was presented to the reader without context. The reader should be allowed to formulate their own opinion, but it's up to the reporter to provide enough information so the reader can do that.

It's not being done, and it's not being done on purpose. Controversy sell papers.
Vogl didn't even put it in the paper; he Tweeted it.

Some of you seem to be afraid of what you might learn about the team if the curtain is drawn back.

I want to know all the dirt.

Old
11-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:

Some of you seem to be afraid of what you might learn about the team if the curtain is drawn back.

No, we're just realistic knowing that no player would say that in the context is was presented in whether they thought they were on the record or not.

I want to know all the dirt too, presented in it's correct context, so I can develop my own opinion about it (as Beechsack said) rather than it be taken out of context. Controvery sells papers, do you really think they would never take a quote out of context?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:52 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

False. It was absolutely referenced in the paper.

Old
11-09-2011, 08:10 AM
puckish66

Quote:
False. It was absolutely referenced in the paper.
You're right. I stand corrected.