HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Assign Markstrom to San Antonio

Old
11-08-2011, 05:17 AM
Peter The Great

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
Im also happy Landeskog didn't end up in Florida.

Im curious as to your take on whether Lehner should be starting in Ottawa. If you think he shouldn't, your a hypocrit and if you think he should then its clear your just being a Swedish homer. What about Zibinijad? He should be on the Ottawa first line right??? Take the love-fest elsewhere.
I was only talking about Markström and Landeskog, two players who has proved they are ready for the NHL.

Everything will be fine, I felt irritated but I just need patience. ;-)

Looks like I'm not alone.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1023907

Yes, I'm a Swedish homer but Markström and Landeskog are in a group of the best talents we ever have had.

Last edited by 21: 11-08-2011 at 05:25 AM.
21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:21 AM
nhlfan9191

Lol I bet my buddy 50 bucks that Markstrom will be back by February challenging for number 1 spot in the NHL this season. I have no faith in Clemmenson and it's easy just to throw Clemmer on waivers if it comes to that. If someone takes him, great. If they don't, he's in the AHL where he belongs IMHO. Depth behind Theodore and Marky is pretty scary tho... Tallon should probably address that sooner rather than later.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:20 AM
LuckyLuke87

Guess some things never change for this team, so lets just keep poor asset management right on track. After bold statements that performance is all that matters send guy who has done 110% to prove he can play in NHL down to the AHL. Good way to ruin young kid's confidence and send message to the rest of the team - doesn't matter how well you play but how many bucks you make. Is trading Clemmer for some late pick (we will be lucky to get that) worth of ruining Markstrom's confidence -> development? Don't think so... Markstrom might be nice to the press and say he's OK, but I can't imagine how he might be happy with that decision.

King Panther: As far as I remember, Tallon never won any SC as GM so I don't understand what you're talking about. Maybe you should check who was Hawks' GM when they won the Cup.

LuckyLuke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:36 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
holy cow. you people complaining are living in lala land.

markstrom is not the best of the 3 goaltenders at this point. theo's played well. clemmer's competent. markstrom's played in a handful of games. settle down.

let's also not forget that if tallon had his way, vokoun would be here in the first of a 3 year deal and clemmer would be backing him up, meaning markstrom wouldn't have gotten a sniff this year and would likely be backing up vokoun or splitting time next year. he's looked good in his brief time up but getting more starts with SA while the business end of tallon's safety net deal plays out is not to his detriment and is not going to be the difference maker in terms of a playoff berth.

and both markstrom and the team understand what's going on. they aren't idiots.
As Mr Moller would say, winner winner chicken dinner.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:43 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke87 View Post
Guess some things never change for this team, so lets just keep poor asset management right on track. After bold statements that performance is all that matters send guy who has done 110% to prove he can play in NHL down to the AHL. Good way to ruin young kid's confidence and send message to the rest of the team - doesn't matter how well you play but how many bucks you make. Is trading Clemmer for some late pick (we will be lucky to get that) worth of ruining Markstrom's confidence -> development? Don't think so... Markstrom might be nice to the press and say he's OK, but I can't imagine how he might be happy with that decision.

King Panther: As far as I remember, Tallon never won any SC as GM so I don't understand what you're talking about. Maybe you should check who was Hawks' GM when they won the Cup.
Please, dont even start with that crap. Tallon's fingerprints are ALL OVER that SC team, whether he was the GM or not. You want the proof to that, just listen to what all the Hawks players had to say about him, or what Soupy, Steeg, and Kopecky have to say about him now, or the countless calls he got from Hawks players when he accepted the Panthers GM job, thanking him. Ridiculous

Markstrom knew he was going to go down, and he was fine by the decision. Instead of playing once every 5-6 games, he is going to play almost every game for SA. This is the best option for him, ATM. If a deal happens by the deadline for Clemmer, we will see Markstrom back with the team. This is the best option for him to get game experience, even though we all dont agree with it. Again, Markstrom was playing more on instict right now, and its good for him to go down, get as many games as possible, and let him work on parts of his game that need improvement. Money definitely did play a role in this decision as well, but to say that this team doesnt care about winning, sends a poor message to the team, or it will ruin his confidence is just ridiculous.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:14 AM
jakethesnake23

Excuse the corniness, but in Tallon I trust

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:30 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke87 View Post
Guess some things never change for this team, so lets just keep poor asset management right on track. After bold statements that performance is all that matters send guy who has done 110% to prove he can play in NHL down to the AHL. Good way to ruin young kid's confidence and send message to the rest of the team - doesn't matter how well you play but how many bucks you make. Is trading Clemmer for some late pick (we will be lucky to get that) worth of ruining Markstrom's confidence -> development? Don't think so... Markstrom might be nice to the press and say he's OK, but I can't imagine how he might be happy with
Yea that sums it up well. Booth was traded for performance ( remember "this is a performance business " lol ) and markstroms performance, clearly outperforming all, is irrelevant.
RR is right money is still A huge factor.
Here it's outweighing winning in decisions. So sad.

Last edited by adam graves: 11-08-2011 at 09:41 AM.
adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:28 AM
RainingRats

The fact that Markstrom wasn't slated to be on the roster at the start of training camp and Clemmer getting injured gave him an opportunity to start is irrelevant, imo. Markstrom has played extremely well (for the record so has Theo) but all we hear from Tallon is everybody can EARN a spot and we want competition. How many times have you heard that? Well, Markstrom and Theo were both playing extremely well and competing (we had a friendly goalie controversy) but once money becomes an issue, all that goes out the window because our financial constraints override philosophy.

RainingRats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:30 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
Excuse the corniness, but in Tallon I trust
Theo has been playing very good hockey all season. I'm not worried about goaltending. I'm worried about our PK, our secondary scoring, and weak/boneheaded plays in our own zone. Markstrom getting sent down is not even in my top 5 concerns.

RainingRats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:39 AM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

i was gonna quote a post but i chose not to in order to avoid hurt feelings.

what was the poor asset management of the past? it was rushing players to the nhl before they were ready. so whats the solution, put markstrom in the nhl because hes had a handful of good games. so then he's gonna play what, 20 games. like thats what he needs at this point, 20 games to develop his skills and work on his problems, one of which is obviously rebound control, but dont worry, im sure no one in the nhl will pick up on that and exploit it. or wait, maybe you think he should be the starter and play 60 games this year. cause a handful of good games automatically translates into 60, right. and no one will pick up on his weaknesses and start torching him nightly and destroy his confidence, right.

but wait this move will destroy his confidence, right. cause hes too stupid to realize that hes a young kid just coming up in the nhl and their are two proven nhl veterans ahead of him, one of which has an expiring contract at year end. hes too stupid to realize that he needs a lot of game time and he needs to work on some technique issues like rebound control and the best place to do that is the ahl. but wait, hes mature enough to be a nhl goalie but not mature enough to understand this move, how does that add up.

and some crazy how this shows theres a double standard on the issue of performance. because a 6th year veteran whose only job was to score wasnt scoring and he was traded. but a rookie had a handful of good games so he shouldve automatically gotten the starting job over the 15 year veteran based off of the performance of a handful of games and he didnt so this team has double standards waaa waaa waaa

and markys confidence is gonna be ruined? what do you think theres a higher historical occurrence rate of? rushing players to the nhl too soon and ruining their confidence OR making them wait one more year for the nhl, all the way to the grand old age of 22, and ruining their confidence?

and btw, what does the word BUILD mean. seriously anyone who thinks tallon didnt build that team based on the sole fact that he wasnt gm at the time the cup was won does not know what that word means.

but hey wtf does dt know, right? hes only been a player in the league, been a scout in the league, been a gm in the league, actually met markstrom and learned what his personality is like, actually spoken at length with his coaches, but ive watched a handful of games and read some articles, so i know more about player development and about markstrom then he does.

and wtf has dale tallon done to build this team right? i mean trading away all the talent in free agency in order to build the best talent pool in the league while simultaneously building a team that has the first legit top line in ages and has a serious chance at making the playoffs is easy right, anyone could do it. and probably do it in less time btw which was what, a little over a year?

seriously people give dt some credit, he knows what hes doing.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Gudbranson44

I dont understand why people are so upset! Read the tallon quotes, the GR and fialkov tweets! Markstrom will be back soon, there is no doubt.
He is the future and we all know it.
Obviously its better for him to get playing time in SA than being 3rd goalie sitting in the stands behind clem and theo, and I cant see any solid arguments against that.
You cannot have a goalie loose his job due to injury, thats some unwritten rule I agree 100% with. Give this theo-clem tandem 10-15 games, then judge.

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:09 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
I dont understand why people are so upset! Read the tallon quotes, the GR and fialkov tweets! Markstrom will be back soon, there is no doubt.
He is the future and we all know it.
Obviously its better for him to get playing time in SA than being 3rd goalie sitting in the stands behind clem and theo, and I cant see any solid arguments against that.
You cannot have a goalie loose his job due to injury, thats some unwritten rule I agree 100% with. Give this theo-clem tandem 10-15 games, then judge.
Fine. No problem....unless it is a problem, and then I can't see it going past 6 or 7 games.
I just hope we kick ass no matter who's in net.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:49 PM
LUUUUUIS
2mins for Panthering

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
i was gonna quote a post but i chose not to in order to avoid hurt feelings.

what was the poor asset management of the past? it was rushing players to the nhl before they were ready. so whats the solution, put markstrom in the nhl because hes had a handful of good games. so then he's gonna play what, 20 games. like thats what he needs at this point, 20 games to develop his skills and work on his problems, one of which is obviously rebound control, but dont worry, im sure no one in the nhl will pick up on that and exploit it. or wait, maybe you think he should be the starter and play 60 games this year. cause a handful of good games automatically translates into 60, right. and no one will pick up on his weaknesses and start torching him nightly and destroy his confidence, right.

but wait this move will destroy his confidence, right. cause hes too stupid to realize that hes a young kid just coming up in the nhl and their are two proven nhl veterans ahead of him, one of which has an expiring contract at year end. hes too stupid to realize that he needs a lot of game time and he needs to work on some technique issues like rebound control and the best place to do that is the ahl. but wait, hes mature enough to be a nhl goalie but not mature enough to understand this move, how does that add up.

and some crazy how this shows theres a double standard on the issue of performance. because a 6th year veteran whose only job was to score wasnt scoring and he was traded. but a rookie had a handful of good games so he shouldve automatically gotten the starting job over the 15 year veteran based off of the performance of a handful of games and he didnt so this team has double standards waaa waaa waaa

and markys confidence is gonna be ruined? what do you think theres a higher historical occurrence rate of? rushing players to the nhl too soon and ruining their confidence OR making them wait one more year for the nhl, all the way to the grand old age of 22, and ruining their confidence?

and btw, what does the word BUILD mean. seriously anyone who thinks tallon didnt build that team based on the sole fact that he wasnt gm at the time the cup was won does not know what that word means.

but hey wtf does dt know, right? hes only been a player in the league, been a scout in the league, been a gm in the league, actually met markstrom and learned what his personality is like, actually spoken at length with his coaches, but ive watched a handful of games and read some articles, so i know more about player development and about markstrom then he does.

and wtf has dale tallon done to build this team right? i mean trading away all the talent in free agency in order to build the best talent pool in the league while simultaneously building a team that has the first legit top line in ages and has a serious chance at making the playoffs is easy right, anyone could do it. and probably do it in less time btw which was what, a little over a year?

seriously people give dt some credit, he knows what hes doing.
I wish there was a way to +1 posts. This was the easiest way I could think of. I agree with you 100% We just need to be patient and give Marky some credit. He's a big boy.

LUUUUUIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:41 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Tallon is taking away our candy bar and making us eat broccoli.

I think it's for the best, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post

lol, well put!

11-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Don't like it either but understand. I hope this is just temporary to get Clemms some stage time to show his skills before trading him. But if this is for Markstrom to get more playing time I understand if he doesn't rejoin us till next season because imo the more games he plays in San Antonio the more game starts he'll have for us next season!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Boooooth10

Did anyone else just see that quote by Tallon on FSN? He basically said that the next time Markstrom comes up to the Panthers he might be staying forever.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:32 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post

thats a totally fair way to view this. i feel the same way about hubs too, id love for him to be on the team now, but sometimes you have to wait.

Old
11-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

Sounds like people are starting to become more accepting of the move. I am disappointed as I like to see Markstrom play but I understand the reason for making the move and it is good to see that our young players are being taken care of properly.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:16 AM
LuckyLuke87

Well, I'm not dancing in ecstasy about every move Tallon makes. But I give respect where it should be given - Tallon is the best GM this franchise had in a long time and I'm well aware of it. On the other hand, I will never be one of those "yeah, waive Grabner, show some accountability, great move" or "yes, trading Frolik + Salak for scraps is fantastic move, it clearly sends message" guys. I know that being critical at boards where almost everyone holds Tallon in semi-god status and adores every move he makes leaves me pretty exposed to all possible bashing. I can live with it.

Reality is, for all the good moves he has done, there are also pretty bad ones and no rationale person can deny it. And I wouldn't call waiving Grabner, trading Frolik for nothing, or wasting top3 pick on Gudbranson (I will get beaten alive for this, but I stand still with my opinion from draft day that at that #3 spot much better options were available) the good ones and closing eyes doesn't make them disappear. But watching Panthers play this year, good moves outweights the bad ones and that wasn't usual for Panthers (btw, I love getting Dineen as head coach or getting rid of Olesz).

But this is thread about Markstrom - you might advocate that move all you can, I still don't see anything good about it. I've never said Markstrom should start 60 games right now. But he was playing great and sticking with Tallon's words (performance and winning is all that matters) he should have stayed and play. If he starts to get exposed etc., you can send him down anytime. He can work on his weaknesses playing in AHL as well as plaing in NHL as far as he's getting wins. I think you should play the best player - is youngster getting you wins? Than don't send him down in favor of 15-year veteran, whose days are almost over and who is coincidentally worse player too. If you do so, than don't talk about accountability, winning now and performance is the most important because it all sounds like a BS. Simply admit it's money move and you don't care about winning as much as you claim.

To his "building SC winner" in Chicago - just ask Hawks fans how do they feel about him - he helped that franchise short term, no doubt about it, but than hurt it longterm with terrible moves and contracts (not even mentioning poor draft record). His handing out fat contracts like candies frenzy did hurt Balckhawks a lot and they are still recovering.

To alleviate all the anger coming to me after this post - I think Tallon is good GM, he's heading this team in right direction, but he's not that go(o)d as some people here are convinced. And only because they think so, I won't agree with every move he makes. Markstrom is great goalie and he can handle NHL workload right now, it seems some people still don't realize how good he is.

LuckyLuke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Laus723
Future Now

You can equally blame Bowman. He was scapegoated so papa and son Bowman would be there. He built that team's championship. He has a ring to prove it.

Frolik traded for scraps?
Grabner didn't make the team. I've asked this a 1000 times, what team would have done different? Name one! He does what, ride the bench and hope for injury? Even he understood why he was waived. That it keeps getting brought is just dumb. It doesn't focus on the reality of the situation.

Gudbranson: Perfect pick! Who else "was a better option?"

Markstrom was sent down because that's what they can do. You don't have 3 goalies just farting around. Clemmensen can be showcased. Can play. Markstrom gets playing time while things are figured out.

I wanted him to stay up as well, but it's not a bad thing that he was sent down. Any idea how many long Spezza was down in the A for? Did it hurt him? Where's he still? Seem to anger him to the point that he holds a grudge? Doesn't seem like it. It wasn't just about money, there's a lot that plays into it that as a fan standpoint you're not seeing. Please, stop turning it into something it's not.

I'm fairly rationale, but I can get as carried away as the next guy. While they weren't the greatest, they're not bad. Bad moves? Look at Milbury's moves on the Island. Set the team back. Look at Keenan's, set the team back. Bad moves do just that, set the team back. This team is moving forward. Any "bad" move was minor and there hasn't been much of a ripple.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:42 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Look, it's fact markstrom outplayed anything Clemmer could ever play. That's evidenced by markstrom splitting duties while here and Clemmer avoiding splinters.
It's fact based on performance he earned the spot to stay and split time with Jose.
Clearly having to pay markstrom to play NHL while paying Clemmer in the AHL played a huge role in what was decided.
Put it this way.. Is anyone more confident when Clemmer gets in the net next week ten if it we markstrom? And that is a rhetorical question ...
I hope Jose keeps up the play like last night and Clemmer doesn't hurt us as each point now with a contending team is crucial.

Old
11-09-2011, 10:26 AM
blackpanthers

Everybody needs to chill out and see what Clemmensen does before acting like this is the end of the world and is going to cost us this season. Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that during the 08-09 season when Brodeur had a major injury Clemmensen stepped in and performed really well. In 40 games, Clemmensen posted a 25-13-1 record and two shutouts. His 25 wins are the highest total by a goaltender besides Brodeur in NJ Devils franchise history, while his 2.39 GAA and .917 save percentage were statistically in the league's top ten. No one here knows how he will perform now that we are putting an actual NHL team on the ice and not an AHL team like last year.

blackpanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:33 AM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

luke i agree with you that dt has made some moves where we would have liked to see more back in return. but i dont agree that they were necessarily bad. i think what we need to start understanding is that its not just a players stats that matter. more important is who they are and how they play. im not upset to see someone like frolik gone because to me he was a lolly gagger and very soft in how he played and what he achieved. same for grabner, he doesnt play defense. same for booth, he was a defensive liability. its much easier to stop a goal from happening than it is to score a goal, which is why defense is more important because stopping a goal is the same as scoring one. but to get back on point, i just dont think there was a whole lot being offered for frolik. i mean do you think teams were offering high picks or talented prospects but dt said no i prefer skille. dt got rid of bad players and took what he could get to do it. same goes for booth, there wasnt much of a market for an underperforming shellshocked defensive liability. btw booth is now -11 in 13 games. i know we all want a high scoring team, but i think what we will see is a lot of 3-2 wins when this team is built, and im aok with that.

as for markstrom, i just plain disagree with him having proven anything or won anything in just a few games. he needs more development and he doesnt deserve the amount of games he needs in the nhl to develop. theo at least deserves 50 games and i want marks to get the majority of games, not just 20-30. in the lt view this is the best move.

as for dt, so what if he hurt the blackhawks long term. ill gladly curse dt for doing the same to us as i stare fondly at the banner in the rafters of our cup win.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:28 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

http://www.fan590.com/news/nhl/more....tent=h13619473

Nice article on Jose.