HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers trade Kundratek to the Caps for Bouchard (Update: Kundratek requested trade)

Old
11-09-2011, 12:43 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
that is the Rangers MO.

Trade away a rugged kid for a kid with offensive flare but no heart.

Just like the Tytuin deal, just like the Lauri deal...in a few years Kundatrek will be a mainstay on the Caps blueline and people will look back and say how it was worth the risk....bad move by sather...
He sounds like Wolski eh?

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:47 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Add Kundratek to Grachev and Weise as 2008 draft picks that didn't work out.
How is that? Because the two forwards didnt become goal scoring phenoms or top 6 players? Not every pick is going to be that. Obviously Grachev has been a let down thus far. But he made the Blues out of camp. He is a big guy and is still very young, his career is far from over.

Weise has been getting his chances in the NHL. Vancouver swept him right up when he hit waivers. The way he plays, being a 4th liner in the NHL is his potential and he is fulfilling that. Maybe he even becomes a 3rd liner as his career goes on. Who knows.

And Kundratek has been on and off. There's inconsistencies there. You don't win every pick you make.

I'm meh on the trade. I think I'm meh because I liked Kundratek. However, the reality is any outside perspective would say this is a swap of two struggling players who have talent/potential to be in the NHL some day and maybe they need a change of scenery

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:58 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
It's asset management. They gained a 4th round pick, we lost one.
IMO Columbus gained a center so they can move one, i.e. Brassard or Vermette, more likely Brassard. Columbus isn't done here.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:57 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Er...where is the room for Kundratek? Which of Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto, Erixon, McDonagh, or Sauer will he overtake? Coupled with McIlrath, there is really no room for him.
We can't get Staal on the ice and is another hit from being Lindros...don't let depth fool you...Sauer is brittle...Del Zotto is a head case...you can never have enough dman...just look @ our defense now...we have Jeff Willywonka and Steve Eminger playing...

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:40 AM
94now

That's what trades are for. Could Sather do better? He got 35th over all for 3rd rounder. But you are as good as your last game or two. Both are not setting AHL on fire. I'm just surprised he couldn't get anyone from Alberta. When did the last Quebecois make it with Rangers?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:49 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
that is the Rangers MO.

Trade away a rugged kid for a kid with offensive flare but no heart.

Just like the Tytuin deal, just like the Lauri deal...in a few years Kundatrek will be a mainstay on the Caps blueline and people will look back and say how it was worth the risk....bad move by sather...
Some trades yea people talk about the risk reward but for this one nobody is saying anything about risk...and if Kundratek develops into that it'd be a bit of a Girardi. It's not like the Wolski trade trading from aposition of strength to get a possible salary cap out if we needed it and a highly skilled player who has produced in the recent past. It's not like Korp who wanted out or grachev whow anted out. Tyutin was a garbage trade.

This is a guy buried on the dpeth chart who is having a bad year and possibly asked out. Wish we could have gotten more...at least a kolarik type who actually produces offense in the AHL. We got a potential AHL scorer...it's a sideways move at best as far as I can see. WHo knows player could change scenes and develop chemistry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Weise has been getting his chances in the NHL. Vancouver swept him right up when he hit waivers. The way he plays, being a 4th liner in the NHL is his potential and he is fulfilling that. Maybe he even becomes a 3rd liner as his career goes on. Who knows.
I wouldnt use the term swept up for a guy who had justy one more team to go before clearing waivers. I didn't like giving up weise for nothing but he wasnt a highly sought commodity

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:52 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
That's what trades are for. Could Sather do better? He got 35th over all for 3rd rounder. But you are as good as your last game or two. Both are not setting AHL on fire. I'm just surprised he couldn't get anyone from Alberta. When did the last Quebecois make it with Rangers?
Define make it. We've got Biron on the team right now, he's probably the most successful. Parenteau and Dupuis were only here for cups of coffee. Hasn't been many, for sure.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:57 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
I wouldnt use the term swept up for a guy who had justy one more team to go before clearing waivers. I didn't like giving up weise for nothing but he wasnt a highly sought commodity
I agree. But he does hold some value and has the ability to at the least be a 4th liner in the NHL which I think many here agreed he would be.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:00 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I agree. But he does hold some value and has the ability to at the least be a 4th liner in the NHL which I think many here agreed he would be.
Yea that's what I meant by not a highly sou8ght commodity though while I didn't like losing him and think he eventually would have made this team I recognize he wasn't quite there yet and that 30 other teams agreed.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
We couldn't get a pick for this guy? I would have much rathered a pick than Bouchard.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:19 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
We couldn't get a pick for this guy? I would have much rathered a pick than Bouchard.
I feel the same way.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:27 AM
ThisYearsModel

Kundratek sure has fallen through the floor if the Rangers wanted to move him and this is all they could get. Sheesh. Surprising, especially with the prospect of VTank leaving for the KHL after this season.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:46 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Kundratek sure has fallen through the floor if the Rangers wanted to move him and this is all they could get. Sheesh. Surprising, especially with the prospect of VTank leaving for the KHL after this season.
Agreed. Plus the fact that Bell, Eminger and Woywitka are UFA's and MDZ, Bickel, Baldwin, Valentenko are RFA's.

And to top all of that off Staal is still out and Sauer has injury concerns.

McIlrath looks to be the only defenseman on his way to the Whale next season with only Noreau and Ceresnak possibly following the year after.

Don't look now, but the Rangers may actually need to focus on adding a few defensemen in next years draft.

Staal (Questionable right now)
Girardi (2 more years until UFA)
McDonagh
Sauer (Injury concerns)
MDZ
Erixon

Valentenko (Will he be back?)
McIlrath
Parlett (Depth player or legit NHL future?)

Noreau
Ceresnak (Both need at least 1 more year of juniors and may not even be signed when finished)

Bickel (Maybe a #7 in the future?)
Niemi (Maybe a MAB-type of 4th liner + PP time?)

Klassen
Baldwin (Neither of them should even be considered NHL prospects at this point)

I know we all think we are set moving forward on defense with such good young defensemen but all it takes is an injury and we may be playing Stu Bickel in a top-6 spot. Also, defensemen take longer to develop so if you draft one in 2012, he may be ready in 2016.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Interesting deal. It seems the scouts like his upside, so I don't see the harm in it. Unfortunately sometimes players are just a victim of the depth in the organization, and some don't have the ability to overcome that set back. Both players should do well with a fresh start in a new place.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I kind of like Bouchard still. I think we may be surprised with this trade. It is a very even one right now ..

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Agreed. Plus the fact that Bell, Eminger and Woywitka are UFA's and MDZ, Bickel, Baldwin, Valentenko are RFA's.

And to top all of that off Staal is still out and Sauer has injury concerns.

McIlrath looks to be the only defenseman on his way to the Whale next season with only Noreau and Ceresnak possibly following the year after.

Don't look now, but the Rangers may actually need to focus on adding a few defensemen in next years draft.

Staal (Questionable right now)
Girardi (2 more years until UFA)
McDonagh
Sauer (Injury concerns)
MDZ
Erixon

Valentenko (Will he be back?)
McIlrath
Parlett (Depth player or legit NHL future?)

Noreau
Ceresnak (Both need at least 1 more year of juniors and may not even be signed when finished)

Bickel (Maybe a #7 in the future?)
Niemi (Maybe a MAB-type of 4th liner + PP time?)

Klassen
Baldwin (Neither of them should even be considered NHL prospects at this point)

I know we all think we are set moving forward on defense with such good young defensemen but all it takes is an injury and we may be playing Stu Bickel in a top-6 spot. Also, defensemen take longer to develop so if you draft one in 2012, he may be ready in 2016.
Well be fine once we add Suter this offseason.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
I feel the same way.
A draft pick does nothing to help our shallow depth at forward in Hartford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Well be fine once we add Suter this offseason.
I'd be interested, if not in Suter, to see what Gleason is looking for as well.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:29 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
A draft pick does nothing to help our shallow depth at forward in Hartford.
Jason Wilson and Max Campbell are down in the ECHL if Hartford needs a 4th line winger.

Or go out and sign someone to an AHL deal.

Once the Junior season and NCAA seasons are done they will bring in quite a few young players.

I just don't see the value in this deal coming back from Washington.

Old
11-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Again, what more could you really expect? An actual NHL player was worth a 4th round pick. What draft pick would we really have gotten out of trading Kundratek, a 6th round pick? Is that really any better or worse than Francois Bouchard?

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:40 PM
94now

Quote:
Jason Wilson and Max Campbell are down in the ECHL if Hartford needs a 4th line winger.

Or go out and sign someone to an AHL deal.

Once the Junior season and NCAA seasons are done they will bring in quite a few young players.

I just don't see the value in this deal coming back from Washington.
There is value to Kundratek who will be able to get a better chance to make it at WAS. Sather should trade him only to show that Rangers have class in handling prospects. There is long term benefit to NYR. It doesn't matter what was the return from that stand point, because that is more important than asset management.

I command Glen Sather here.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:42 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Again, what more could you really expect? An actual NHL player was worth a 4th round pick. What draft pick would we really have gotten out of trading Kundratek, a 6th round pick? Is that really any better or worse than Francois Bouchard?
I believe that a late round pick is better than a 22-23 year old AHL player whose numbers are on the decline. At least you have a shot at getting an NHL player with a 6th and you open up an NHL contract moving forward.

It's not like the Rangers need more players who can be called up in an emergency right now:

Newbury
Mitchell
MZA
Hagelin
Deveaux (is already up with Wolski and Rupp out)
Thoreson
Bourque?

Kolarik is going to come back eventually as well.

I just don't see any upside in this deal so I would have preferred a pick.

Old
11-09-2011, 12:59 PM
chosen

Quote:
And why not with the Rangers? Look at the team this season. All it takes is one injury and spots open up.

People said the same thing about Mike Sauer last year.

He is a good skater who is physical and has a bomb from the point. Underrated player in the Ranger organization. Good job by the Caps buying low on Kundratek.
Sauer could crack the Hartford lineup.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:17 PM
HockeyBurd*

Francois Bouchard is easily one of the best hockey names of all time. I'm sure when Sather heard that name he knew exactly what needed to be done.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I'd be more concerned if Sather wasn't resourceful enough to have brought in useable players in Eminger, Woywitka, hopefully Strahlman. When it was clear that Bell and Bickel weren't an answer and Erixon needed more time, that could have a real problem.

He's also had luck grabbing undrafted prospects like Girardi and Gilroy and put a blueliner right at the top of the prospect pool in the Erixon deal. I wonder if that takes some of the pressure off the perceived need to use a lot of high draft picks on d-man.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:19 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Sauer could crack the Hartford lineup.
Not when he was hurt he couldn't. Which was quite often.