HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Zack Smith

Old
11-08-2011, 06:22 PM
burgess1978

vCash: 500
All jokes aside, I've really been impressed with Smith this year. At $700k he gives us the best bang for buck in the team.

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Batali Crocs*

Smith is awesome. Chris Kelly with more offensive upside and fighting ability.

Core Senator

Batali Crocs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
Agreed. Until this issue gets resolved, I'd like to see him scratched for a couple of games to send a message.
Haha this is incredible.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

vCash: 284
I like how most people still refer to him as "Zack Smith", even though we only have one Smith on our team now.

Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ♥

LOL Gak!

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:40 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
If Zack is a 3rd fourth line tweener with 2 goals and 5 assists (+3), where in your opinion does Foligno belong with his 3 goals and 3 assists (-4)?

Keep in mind Foligno has achieved his awesome offensive stats getting 2nd line TOI.
I think Foligno is a 3rd liner who is getting 2nd line minutes on a team that blew up its core and consequently has to use inexperienced players and/or bottom-6 guys to fill in a few open spots in the top-6. If we were going for a Cup, I'd want Foligno no higher than 3LW, just as I'd want Smith (current Smith, not prime Smith), as a 4th liner who can fill in on the 3rd in case of injuries.

11-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Zak Smith is certainly more of a 3rd liner than Jesse Winchester or Konopka is, that's for sure.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:42 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonahan View Post
Zak Smith is certainly more of a 3rd liner than Jesse Winchester or Konopka is, that's for sure.
I called him a 3rd/4th line tweener. He has the potential to become a 3rd liner, I'd like him to work on his skating though.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I called him a 3rd/4th line tweener. He has the potential to become a 3rd liner, I'd like him to work on his skating though.
Yah, that's the right analysis.

I think he'll be a solid 3rd liner, just needs to refine himself first.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Romans12_12

I wrote in the prediction thread before the season started that Z Smith would have a breakout year and become a bigger part of this team. The guy has potential written all over him. Maybe not in flash and speed, but he is smart, fierce, hard working, and has enough offensive skill to create space and put the puck in the net.

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:59 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I do agree with who ever mentioned his face. He always looks confused and high. Would be annoying to fight against lol

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I've really liked this guy from day 1 but I don't see his skating improving that much. He's stride is sketchy and he's already done tons of work to improve his skating, his speed and quickness has improved but there's only so far that stride will take him.

I think he'll be a good 3rd line center. Player that elevates his game in the playoffs.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:28 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I've really liked this guy from day 1 but I don't see his skating improving that much. He's stride is sketchy and he's already done tons of work to improve his skating, his speed and quickness has improved but there's only so far that stride will take him.

I think he'll be a good 3rd line center. Player that elevates his game in the playoffs.
Agreed on that, he's not a very technical skater.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:35 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
As long as he can keep up, his stride could look like Cheechoo's for all I care

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
As long as he can keep up, his stride could look like Cheechoo's for all I care
Yeah that's the thing, despite the stride Smith actually gets around the rink surprisingly well. He never really has a problem getting to where he needs to get...and he's fairly regularly in on odd-man breaks much like Kelly used to.

He's much like the new Chris Kelly but if your one that prefers your checking line players to have some mean in them, Smith delivers.

Old
11-09-2011, 06:02 AM
eyeno

Sorry disagree

[QUOTE=Minister of Offence;39175019]I've really liked this guy from day 1 but I don't see his skating improving that much. He's stride is sketchy and he's already done tons of work to improve his skating, his speed and quickness has improved but there's only so far that stride will take .

First off I am a old power skating instructor so eyeno this stuff.I spend most of my time at practices watching skating ( old habit).Z Smith technically is a good skater he has a monster stride which makes him look slower simply cause his feet are not moving as fast as a player who has a short choppy stride.One poster said he gets around the rink suprisingly well,I am not surprised.He has good upright posture,knees always bent and pushes straight back,good stride.One can always improve ones stride, posture etc.its a never ending process.The other thing I have noticed is his stride doesnt change when he gets tired or frustrared.A player who has done alot of changes to ther technique will revert back to bad habits when they are stressed he doesnt.Another thing with his stride is he beats alot of d men on the outside not alot can do that.More skilled stick handlers try and finess there way through ,Smith goes around and does real well at it.Is he perfect not at all does he has good technique in my opinion and others I watch with ,ya he does.

eyeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeno View Post
First off I am a old power skating instructor so eyeno this stuff.I spend most of my time at practices watching skating ( old habit).Z Smith technically is a good skater he has a monster stride which makes him look slower simply cause his feet are not moving as fast as a player who has a short choppy stride.One poster said he gets around the rink suprisingly well,I am not surprised.He has good upright posture,knees always bent and pushes straight back,good stride.One can always improve ones stride, posture etc.its a never ending process.The other thing I have noticed is his stride doesnt change when he gets tired or frustrared.A player who has done alot of changes to ther technique will revert back to bad habits when they are stressed he doesnt.Another thing with his stride is he beats alot of d men on the outside not alot can do that.More skilled stick handlers try and finess there way through ,Smith goes around and does real well at it.Is he perfect not at all does he has good technique in my opinion and others I watch with ,ya he does.
That was me.

I highly doubt Smith can take his skating ability to the point where he becomes a legitimate top 6 forward...other than that, he's probably got adequate sense, shot, vision (believe it or not) to make himself a 2nd line powerfoward. There's a quickness and ability to change direction quickly that he doesn't have much of, in comparison to another big strong guy in Greening.

Zack Smith is where he is in large part right now due to work with the Sens power skating instructor. One can always improve their stride but he's never gonna be able to do the things a Filatov or Skinner can do on their skates.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong here, your input is appreciated as most don't have a background in any of this stuff. The Sens have a power skating coach, Marc Power, who I've seen referenced as one of the best in the world...Would you know if its a normal thing for teams to have power skating coaches employed? I always assumed it was.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 11-09-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old
11-09-2011, 09:25 AM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
I wrote in the prediction thread before the season started that Z Smith would have a breakout year and become a bigger part of this team. The guy has potential written all over him. Maybe not in flash and speed, but he is smart, fierce, hard working, and has enough offensive skill to create space and put the puck in the net.

This guy has the tools to be an elite 3rd liner, maybe even a 2nd line player, just not the toolbox.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post

This guy has the tools to be an elite 3rd liner, maybe even a 2nd line player, just not the toolbox.
He's talking about hockey sense I assume. The hockey sense isn't blatantly obvious like it is with Alfie or even a Da Costa...but he's got some. It lands him in a lot of odd man rushes and him and Condra do anticipate the right times to break on the PK.

He's been known to take the dumb penalty, but that hasn't been a problem lately.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Zack Smith has a face everyone outside of Ottawa will learn to hate in the next 10 years.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:37 AM
eyeno

so sorry

Quote:
That was me.

I highly doubt Smith can take his skating ability to the point where he becomes a legitimate top 6 forward...other than that, he's probably got adequate sense, shot, vision (believe it or not) to make himself a 2nd line powerfoward. There's a quickness and ability to change direction quickly that he doesn't have much of, in comparison to another big strong guy in Greening.

Zack Smith is where he is in large part right now due to work with the Sens power skating instructor. One can always improve their stride but he's never gonna be able to do the things a Filatov or Skinner can do on their skates.
I thought we were talking about stride ,quickness, I guess you can compare Greening to anyone he was the fastest on the ice last year and I am sure he is rite there this year.If you missed my point or maybe I wasnt clear enough.I was defending the kids stride and quickness which I thought were somewhat under attack. Anyways he has a better stride, good speed and a all around better skater than a few of you thought ,you see eye no skating.

eyeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:37 AM
HappyGilmour

Quote:
He's talking about hockey sense I assume. The hockey sense isn't blatantly obvious like it is with Alfie or even a Da Costa...but he's got some. It lands him in a lot of odd man rushes and him and Condra do anticipate the right times to break on the PK.

He's been known to take the dumb penalty, but that hasn't been a problem lately.
Agreed.

I really feel that Condra is rubbing off alot on Zeek.

Don't look now, but these two are quietly becoming an integral part of our penalty kill and future.

Discuss.

HappyGilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:38 AM
HappyGilmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post

Agreed.

He is our most tenacious player.

HappyGilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Stamina + Tenacity = $$$

Burke is drooling over these two players.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I'm a big Smith fan, I honestly think he should get a kick at the 2nd line can. It probably won't work out but I reckon it's worth a try.

You guys do know that "power skating" isn't a general term but a reference to a specific guy with the last name Power and his skating program?

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote