HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miller leads the team to victory

Old
11-09-2011, 01:38 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
GOOD:
- Ehrhoff has his warts on the defensive side when he's off his game, but when he's on he's a complete defenseman. I thought he played a great game tonight. He didn't see enough of the puck on the 1st 5 on 3, and when he got it on the 2nd (extended) 5 on 3, he finally got it and created the movement and pass that created the lane for Pommer to get the puck to Roy. Gragnani was pretty good too. I've thought they've been pretty good together most nights.

- Vanek, Poms, Roy with big offensive nights. Vanek and Poms have been unreal all year.

- Troup with his first. Is it possible that Buffalo sends Ellis back to captain the Amerks and give Troup 4th line time in the NHL when Kaleta's suspension is over? He's playing like he belongs

- Winning.

BAD:

- Team defense in the zone. Miller is not here, because Miller was average. Far too many good oppertunites in front, some went in, some didn't. Miller didn't look particuarly comfortable until later in the game, certainly. But it's hard to put much blame on him for any of those goals, and he made a couple of great saves to keep them in it in the 3rd.

- Myers was not sharp tonight. Throwing the stick out of the zone was braindead.

- Rob Ray's analysis on the 1st and 3rd goal. The first goal was all on Sekera's turnover. Getting on Roy because he wasn't fast enough to cover the gap to his man after the turnover is asinine. On the 3rd goal, the point shot came from the right point, where Roy was (playing the left side defensively). In that case, there's no way Roy can get back into the middle after charging the point man - it's the RW's responsibility to collapse if he can...sometimes the carom is going to find the extra attacker though.

UGLY:

- Sekera with his first truly hideous game of the year. That decision on the 5th Atlanta goal.....yikes. What on Earth was that??

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:53 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Good:
- Ehrhoff was great in all 3 zones
- Roy was great... And his dive and following shot got them back in the game
- Pommer and Vanek, yeah baby
- Miller... He was fighting it, but really, the goals were just craptastic jobs by the D

Bad:
- Sekera and Myers...
Sekera with a couple of horrible moments (turnover, blown coverage), Myers on the other hand, looked godawful every single shift.

As for Rej on the Buf goal, my theory is he was just trying to help a struggling Myers.... Watch the game again, and he did the similar thing about 3-4 times before, simply because Myers was getting outskated all the time.
(it's not an excuse though, both were bad)

Problem is:

Ugly:
- refs... I don't like gift-wrapped wins... I would've blown a fuse had the refs given WPG a 5-on-3 with 5 minutes to go on a call as weak as the one on Stuart was
- Myers didn't just make a bonehead play or two... He looks lost, and more importantly, something more worrying, something that isn't mental or anything, but seems a fitness/physical thing and could be a long-term thing... He is SLOW.
And I mean Derian Hatcher slow.
Watch the game again on GCL, there were a few moments where you could see people just blowing by him like he wasn't there.

Without going too much into the "sky is falling over Myers" routine, I really am beginning to get worried at this point.

Regehr's a rock.
Sekera (apart from tonight) has been great.
Leo's steady.
Ehrhoff I'm confident will be playing more and more like tonight and less like Errorhoff.
MAG/Weber are what they are....

But Myers, who never gets his minutes cut or anything, is the one guy that just looks... Out of shape??? Mentally and physically.

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:48 AM
joshjull

Sekera thought the Jets were changing so he went to help out his partner. That was Sekera's explaination to Ruff of his actions on the Buff goal as relayed by Ruff in his post game presser.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:54 AM
Grahn

Am I the only one who though ehrhoff looked lazy on the offensive blue line keeping the puck in? Especially during powerplay.

Also Jets directed a lot of negative attention towards the refs, this will almost always lead to soft penalties. I think buffalo took advantage of that as they should.

Grahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:39 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Awesome:
NHL back in Winnipeg.

Good:
Gaustad on the shorty - at his (#28's) defensive blue line, getting past Buf, then with Buf drifting to the other side, Gaustad draws Stapleton, a center, on the back check, and #28 having the smarts to exploit it for a sick pass for the goal.

Bad:
Myers-Sekera on the first goal-against. One of several defensive "gems" that night. :joshjull:
Too many penalties. BUF, WPG, and the refs all culpable.

Ugly:
The PSU scandal. Spent a while reading tonight. That **** is deep, foul, and there will be a lot of shoveling before it's all cleaned up: legally, morally, psychologically, ethically, and athletically.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:05 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Any chance this is the lineup we see when everyone's healthy?

Vanek-Poms-Hecht
Leino-Roy-Stafford
Gerbe-Goose-Kaleta
Ennis-Adam-Boyes

That's rolling 4 lines for sure. Swap out Cody with Adam once in awhile.

We almost have too much depth up front...it'd be interesting to see what say an Ennis/Sekera package could get us.
Boyes has been just as good, if not better, than Kaleta with Gerbe and Goose. He sticks. Fourth line will be something like Ennis-Hecht-Kaleta. Which, to be honest, is an intriguing line. Jochen could be good for Ennis.

VAP
LRS
GGB
EHK

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Sekera thought the Jets were changing so he went to help out his partner. That was Sekera's explaination to Ruff of his actions on the Buff goal as relayed by Ruff in his post game presser.
Again a goal against due to sloppy change coverage. This was Sekera's worst game of the season. Myers had some bad plays, but Sekera's screw-ups went into the net last night.

11-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Oh btw, UGLY:

- did I mention I hate cheaters?
I ******* hate divers and half of me would rather lose a regular season game than come back into it on the backs of two really bad calls on two (what I thought were) dives by Gerbe and Roy.

Yes, that's how much I hate injustice... And diving's a part of it.

Gerbe and Roy. Yes. You get my

Old
11-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
- Troup with his first. Is it possible that Buffalo sends Ellis back to captain the Amerks and give Troup 4th line time in the NHL when Kaleta's suspension is over? He's playing like he belongs
I was thinking this, too. Even outside of his goal, Tropp has been noticeable in a good way since being called up. He's skating hard, hitting people and working well along the boards. To me, he's been the better player on this team and I'd keep him up over Ellis at this point.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
GOOD:
-Pommer. I think he could've scored about five goals tonight but for some tough bounces and nice saves by Pavelec. He's been awesome this season.
-Roy offensively. If you had watched the previous three games, you knew a night like tonight was imminent. Tough break that he didn't get an assist on the last goal.
-Vanek was very good from the mid-2nd on.
-I liked Leino's play over the second half of the game. He looked dangerous in the 3rd and OT. He was toying with some of the Jets defenders.
-Gaustad. Best game of the season from him, by far. Where'd that spin pass come from on Pommer's shortie? Hanging out with Leino too much?
-Tropp. Kid goes through players. Reminds me a little bit of Gerbe in that he's feisty, strong on the forecheck, and has a bit of an offensive game, too. He's definitely risen the organizational depth chart since February. Could be a full-time roster player by next season.
-Ehrhoff. Tonight was more like it. Liked him in OT.
-Leopold. Solid game.
-That McCormick-Glass fight was awesome.
-Faceoffs. Gaustad was 15-5. Pommer was 12-2. Roy was 13-7.

BAD:
-Roy's defensive zone coverage. Gimminy Christmas, he was bad defensively tonight.
-Team defensive coverage. It looked like we were allergic to covering players in the slot. Uhh guys, it's the most dangerous area on the ice, you may want to get on those guys.
-Myers. Why does he look like he's on quaaludes once every ten games? His bad is really, really bad.
-Regehr. Didn't like his game tonight. Thought he could've got a stick on the pass from behind the net to Little--he was playing the pass, too. Failed clear and failed crease-clear on the 4th, too.
-Sekera. I know Ruff absolved him on the first goal by saying the forwards were too far up the ice, but just flip it up in the air to the opposing blue line in that case. And a bad decision on Buff's goal. Gotta be sure the offensive player is changing before you vacate the middle of the ice.
-Adam. Quiet again.
-Miller. Below-average game. The only one I truly fault him for is the 4th goal because he was so out of position, but it'd be nice if he could've made a save on some of the others.

UGLY:
-I'm sorry, but if Byfuglien's penalty on Stafford isn't a penalty shot, I don't know what is. He was the last defenseman, he was beaten, and he committed a penalty to take away a scoring chance. What's the issue?
-The reffing, in general. Fortunately, and for once, we were on the better side of it.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:27 AM
NoClue4u

I'm just really happy to see Vanek, Pominville, Roy and Gaustad leading this team. It seems to have taken them a little longer than some would have liked, but I think they are stepping up.

NoClue4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:30 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I was thinking this, too. Even outside of his goal, Tropp has been noticeable in a good way since being called up. He's skating hard, hitting people and working well along the boards. To me, he's been the better player on this team and I'd keep him up over Ellis at this point.
Last night I actually liked Tropps game a bit more then Gerbe.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:39 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I'd send Tropp back down to keep working on his offensive game once Kaleta is back. He could be a 4th line grinder right now...or he could keep developing and become a future 3rd liner, and I think that development is best served in the AHL than with guys like McCormick and Kaleta.

Let him challenge for a spot out of camp next year. Or who knows, maybe he can get another callup later is the season and show more of the offensive touch he had in college.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:04 AM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
UGLY:
-The reffing, in general. Fortunately, and for once, we were on the better side of it.
Truer words have not been spoken in many a year.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Gerbe's energy in the offensive zone (and his assist) were negated by a couple of dumbass penalties, including one that then lead to a Jet goal. He failed on a number of clearing attempts too. It was his worst game of the year, in my opinion, though he still did enough positive to balance it out -- giving him a C grade for last night.

Similarly, Regehr was not the guy we've seen over almost every other game either.

So if some of their stalwarts can have a below average game and still pull out a win.... great.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:27 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
Truer words have not been spoken in many a year.
Yeah, well, the Sabres have been on the other side of it more often than not. I'm not exactly broken up about it if, finally, we have a few questionable calls go our way for once.

Though most of the Jets penalties were just undisciplined. The three straight penalties they took in the 3rd (the cross-check, the high-stick, and Stuart's roughing call) were all pretty blatant, and refs are going to call those every time.

I mean, WTH was Stuart thinking? You don't just skate up and level a guy who's just standing there, several seconds after the whistle. If Jets fans really think that was a bad call, I don't know what to say.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:32 AM
JPurp26

Good

Team helps Miller, hopefully the slumps overs. It will be good for him to get scored on but still get the W. Hopefully he gets his confidence back

Gaustad- one of his best games as a Sabre. He's been stepping up as a leader

Ehrhoff- Thought he played one of his better games this year, smooth with the puck, I'd like to see his shot more on the PP

Roy- starting to turn it up, Now if he can continue his streak lets get some more secondary scoring

Vanek- Continued success, dangerous on the ice and causing other guys to get open

Pominville- Man this guy has been the team MVP, just a notch above Vanek

Regehr- Just steady on D, so nice to have a defenseman like him again

Tropp- Kids been playing real well. Hits, plays balls to the wall and gets rewarded with a goal

Pregame- Thanks Rick for so many great years of announcing since I was little, and Dale a little before my time

Bad

Gerbe's undisciplined penalty leading to a Jets goal

Miller still getting lit up despite most of those not being his fault, Miller is a world class goalie and I like to see some highlight/game changing saves

Myers- wake up the season has started

Sekera- One game not to worried

Reffing- although the Sabres benefited, it was still inconsistent Gerbes stick knocked out of his hands and Buff scores as an example yet they give us a PP on other questionable calls mainly Roy in front of the net

Leino- Your a sabre now, time to start finding your groove. 3 points thus far he needs to run it around and just have fun out there, keep it simple.

Team defensive lapses

Ugly

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:32 AM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
If Jets fans really think that was a bad call, I don't know what to say.
If that was the one on Roy, I imagine his reputation as a diver plays into that.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Good

Team helps Miller, hopefully the slumps overs. It will be good for him to get scored on but still get the W. Hopefully he gets his confidence back

Gaustad- one of his best games as a Sabre. He's been stepping up as a leader

Ehrhoff- Thought he played one of his better games this year, smooth with the puck, I'd like to see his shot more on the PP

Roy- starting to turn it up, Now if he can continue his streak lets get some more secondary scoring

Vanek- Continued success, dangerous on the ice and causing other guys to get open

Pominville- Man this guy has been the team MVP, just a notch above Vanek

Regehr- Just steady on D, so nice to have a defenseman like him again

Tropp- Kids been playing real well. Hits, plays balls to the wall and gets rewarded with a goal

Pregame- Thanks Rick for so many great years of announcing since I was little, and Dale a little before my time

Bad

Gerbe's undisciplined penalty leading to a Jets goal

Miller still getting lit up despite most of those not being his fault, Miller is a world class goalie and I like to see some highlight/game changing saves

Myers- wake up the season has started

Sekera- One game not to worried

Reffing- although the Sabres benefited, it was still inconsistent Gerbes stick knocked out of his hands and Buff scores as an example yet they give us a PP on other questionable calls mainly Roy in front of the net

Leino- Your a sabre now, time to start finding your groove. 3 points thus far he needs to run it around and just have fun out there, keep it simple.

Team defensive lapses

Ugly
I think he has been for the most part in the last 3-4 games. He's been skating a lot harder and working the boards pretty well. He's also setup some plays for Staff and Roy that just weren't finished. I've liked his game the past handful of games, it's just unfortunate that line can't seem to bury the chances they've had. If they continue playing as they have been, the points will come eventually.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:

I mean, WTH was Stuart thinking? You don't just skate up and level a guy who's just standing there, several seconds after the whistle. If Jets fans really think that was a bad call, I don't know what to say.
It was a horrible call.

- a shoulder shove
- 5 minutes to go
- to make it 5v3
- Roy embellished it

It's lame. I know people usually just say "so what, we get crap calls other nights", but I really dislike looking for calls, and i dislike incompetent/homer refs.

Put it this way, the two calls on Gerbe and Roy decided the game.
The Ladd penalties were weak as hell too.

We (Buffalo fans) suffered the ultimate injustice with the Hull goal and the subsequent reaction of the NHL which took a whole new approach to justify it and treated people like idiots who didn't know the rules.
I don't want to lose that way, I don't want to win that way.

All I want in a hockey game is fair reffing with proper calls.

Refs are human, etc.? It's bull****, those calls were easy to call/not call.

The whole thing reminded me of the 05-06 playoffs, when the Sabres were dominating the favorite Sens, and the refs were looking for ways to bring Ottawa back into it.
Then a Sens PP, meaningless scrum/shove match after a whistle, and they call Rory for roughing to make it 5v3.

You just KNOW they were looking for it.
And they (the refs) KNOW they're weak calls.

All I want is proper reffing.

Idealistic?
Maybe.

But those were AWFUL calls. Not bad. AWFUL.

Old
11-09-2011, 10:52 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
If that was the one on Roy, I imagine his reputation as a diver plays into that.
Whether Roy went down easy or not doesn't change the fact that Stuart was a dunce for skating over, well after the whistle, and shoving a guy who's just standing there, well away from the crease. Regardless of what Roy did, that's a clear-cut roughing penalty.

That's the textbook definition of "undisciplined," and Stuart should know better than to do something so dumb late in a one-goal game. If the Jets are upset about all the penalties they took, they can start by looking in the mirror.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:03 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
But those were AWFUL calls. Not bad. AWFUL.
Have to really disagree. I can't really speak to the Gerbe penalty because I was on the phone, but they'll call anyone for roughing every single time. You just can't come all the way across the ice and knock a guy down when that guy isn't doing anything but standing there. If Roy is engaged with the other defenseman or the goaltender it's nothing. But he was just STANDING there.

Stuart didn't give the official a choice. That HAD to be called.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Whether Roy went down easy or not doesn't change the fact that Stuart was a dunce for skating over, well after the whistle, and shoving a guy who's just standing there, well away from the crease. Regardless of what Roy did, that's a clear-cut roughing penalty.

That's the textbook definition of "undisciplined," and Stuart should know better than to do something so dumb late in a one-goal game. If the Jets are upset about all the penalties they took, they can start by looking in the mirror.
I think my comment to Whammer was "Oh Jesus, Stuart's a dumbass" when that happened.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Gnuguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
You guys were playing old time hockey unfortunately they outlawed that a few years back.

For instance, I'm all for sticking up for your goalie but running over Roy (a known diver) when he was turning away after the whistle is about the dumbest play you could have made.
I often find myself pining for the bygone era of holding and hooking. *cue wistful gaze*

Good times.

Gnuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Have to really disagree. I can't really speak to the Gerbe penalty because I was on the phone, but they'll call anyone for roughing every single time. You just can't come all the way across the ice and knock a guy down when that guy isn't doing anything but standing there. If Roy is engaged with the other defenseman or the goaltender it's nothing. But he was just STANDING there.

Stuart didn't give the official a choice. That HAD to be called.
It was a shove to the shoulder.

It happens nearly after nearly every whistle.
Shoves, face washing...

Put it this way...

Buffalo leads 5-4, they have a PP, after the whistle Regehr pushes a guy like Ribeiro in the shoulder (F-in shoulder ffs) and he goes down like he was shot.

I guarantee you, you would not find a single poster here who'd say, "okay, Regher shouldn't have pushed him in the shoulder".

A. Push. To. The. Shoulder.

Not a punch, not caught to his helm straps and yanked him back and forth, not a face wash, not a hit...

A. Push. To. The. Shoulder.

At a crucial stage of the game...

/shrug

You don't agree, that's fine.
I just think it was a really, REALLY weak call.