HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dallas at Washington. 11/8/2011. 7:00PM.

Old
11-09-2011, 10:59 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I didnt watch much of the game....so who is Knuble killing in the media without giving a name?
Realistically, it's more like who isn't he targeting. Plenty of stupid to go around.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:02 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Habs, Hamr and secondary Caps fan here................

Could Caps fans comment on this? I've noticed Hamr lining up on the right boards when the faceoff is to the right of the goaltender. In Montreal left D's lineup to the left of the faceoff circle with the RD lined up at the boards.

On the Burish goal both D's were magnets to Morrow because they both started essentially in the same ice. Whereas if the LD lines up on the left of the faceoff circle he's already in a position to defend. Maybe I'm out to lunch on this but Boudreau's faceoff positions seem different and thus assignments seem to be different than Montreal's.

Hamrlik's a better player than last night but honestly looks confused. He's older yes. But his speed has not changed much in the last couple of years. He looks confused now and maybe lacking some confidence. Hope he turns around for you guys. To be honest I thought he had a strong first period but then the ceiling caved in later.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:03 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I'd absolve Backstrom and Ward and that's it. No one even pretended to give a flying **** last night.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'd absolve Backstrom and Ward and that's it. No one even pretended to give a flying **** last night.
I'd give Neuvy a pass and I hate to sound like I'm continually bashing Ovechkin, but he needs to get act together.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:10 AM
EvoLu7ioN

TarikElBashir: #Caps practice has been going for about 20 minutes. Suicides, followed by 11 separate one-on-one battles. Players hunched over already.

Wow, looks like nothing has changed. Instead of fixing the problem and practicing focused and strategic drills, BB is just gassing the guys. Note to BB, coaches of contenders are a bit more refined and advanced in their techniques, they take note of minor tweaks the team needs, the breakout game for example, and then use practice to address that. How many times is he going to have to "send a message" by benching guys or having them skate suicides before he realizes that perhaps the issue isn't the players but the system and the coaching methods instead. And let me get this straight, playing the big guns for a few minutes less in a game is going to help the team stay nice and rested for the postseason, but suicide sprints for 20 minutes without rest is going to help? What a joke.

Last edited by EvoLu7ioN: 11-09-2011 at 11:17 AM.
EvoLu7ioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:12 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

You would have him do what?

11-09-2011, 11:13 AM
CrashTheNet9

We need to work on our board battles.

CrashTheNet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
We need to work on everything.
Fixed.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:20 AM
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Meaningless loss.
Knuble would disagree.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

vCash: 50
probably the biggest thing that doesnt get talked about is the constant line changing (and D pairs). it does NOT, in ANY way, help the team overall - other than to see how other guys play together. but thats a problem in itself because BB never gives the lines enough time to gel before he changes them back again.

its largely because they work as hard or harder than anyone else, but playing together every shift of every game has clearly benefitted the 3rd line, which is realistically their 1st line in terms of performance.

oh, and as much as i like the guy from the standpoint of being physical in front of the net and a willingness to drop the gloves, thereve been a lot more breakdowns and overall weaknesses in team play since erskine got healthy. not that i blame them all on him or anything, especially since hamrlik is the weak(est) link right now, but its interesting to note. reminds me of all the hannan sackgargling even though he wasnt chara in his own end.

im not sure the caps have more than 3 reliable d-men when it comes to beating a forechecker to the puck in deep and getting it clear. its becoming a serious issue. time after time teams are gaining possession and often generating scoring chances after what shouldve been a routine retrieval for the caps. in turn the forwards are wasting their energy trying to help out (or not in some cases) instead of getting it deep at the other end.

frustrating times when we consider the eventual goal, no doubt about that. no reason to panic over 1 loss, but the trending signs are concerning.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:28 AM
tycoonheart

Yeah, this isn't a meaning less loss. Sorry. The way they've played majority of the season so far, even though we are 9-4, is of concern. This team has shown they can win WHILE playing sloppily in the regular season. 09-10 season is a great example of that. This team will be probably be one of the top teams in the east at the end of the season. No one will be surprised with that. We can't expect to win in the playoffs playing like the way they have. Sorry but this isn't just one game. This is a trend a lot of us have been saying needs to stop. And so far this year they've shown that the trend is still intact.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:31 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
We need to work on our board battles.
Whyno's tweet:
"They went through suicide sprints at first, then one-on-one battles along the boards."

Old
11-09-2011, 11:32 AM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
...Edler is an elite puck moving D-man, but after that it's Hamhuis and Bieksa who are far from great. The reason the Sedins and the rest of our forwards get free like that all season long is because we practice those drills every practice, our coach has a system in place, our guys know who will be distributing the puck, where to look, and who it's going to....
u said it there, this is the main difference, the caps have no such system. right now they play a mix between last years full defense combined with some periods of runNgun. sure u can call that a system but its the same crap just other color. personally i think he should take take a step back and let them runNgun again. actually i think he was CLOSE to devolp a system into this runNgun but the complete change to hitchkock2.0 made me puke because of his cluelessness

Quote:
Just my thought anyways, hope he corrects it before the playoffs
history says no, what u see now is what u will get later in the playoffs, besides the sob line there will be no adjustments.

also lol at the comment about bruce being a x's and o's guy

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Leave town

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:43 AM
EvoLu7ioN

Quote:
Address our weaknesses! Our PP is getting by on skill, but it lacks a true identity. Why is OV floating around infront of the net? He's a skilled guy with the best 1 timer on the ice, and I know he's scored a few already from that position (like the one in Van), but why not place him where Stamkos is placed in Tampa? With the skill we have with Backstrom, Ovi, and Semin, the PP should be effortless.

We need to practice on our transition game. There are lots of drills for that.

The passion is there. Nobody wants to win more than the captain. I just don't think BB needs to run him into the ground to prove that.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:47 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:50 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Address our weaknesses! Our PP is getting by on skill, but it lacks a true identity. Why is OV floating around infront of the net? He's a skilled guy with the best 1 timer on the ice, and I know he's scored a few already from that position (like the one in Van), but why not place him where Stamkos is placed in Tampa? With the skill we have with Backstrom, Ovi, and Semin, the PP should be effortless.

The passion is there. Nobody wants to win more than the captain. I just don't think BB needs to run him into the ground to prove that.
I have no idea how Boucher figures out a way for Stamkos to take wide open shots from the point whereas Ovi is swarmed before the puck even gets to him. It just boggles my mind.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:53 AM
EvoLu7ioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I have no idea how Boucher figures out a way for Stamkos to take wide open shots from the point whereas Ovi is swarmed before the puck even gets to him. It just boggles my mind.
I know, I always wonder that too lol. But hey, put him closer to the boards and then if he gets swarmed there's gotta be open ice for capable finishers like Backstrom and Semin. Thats why it works in Tampa because if teams just go swarm Stamkos St. Louis just puts it in the wheelhouse for Lecavalier.

Last edited by EvoLu7ioN: 11-09-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old
11-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Langway
Intangibles

kcarrera: #Caps now going through their fourth round of suicides.

Meh. At least things are getting real.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:04 PM
EvoLu7ioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
kcarrera: #Caps now going through their fourth round of suicides.

Meh. At least things are getting real.
What an innovative coach.

Old
11-09-2011, 12:04 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:

I agree. Like you and another previous poster commented on, Ovy needs to be on the point. Keep Brouwer in the front to screen and take PK defenders away so Ovechkin can fire that shot with a chance for deflections. Currently, every time he gets the puck at his current PP spot, the opposition PK killers take away his shooting chances. He really has limited choices where he is currently playing. As for the PP overall, more of the same fancy passing and less shooting. I agree they are getting it done with skill alone.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:11 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Pulled pork is everywhere... Memphis style... Carolina style... and the Texans will claim the world if you let them (including snow).

My wife is from Houston. I've spent many years in Houston. I own a home in Houston. I've honed my BBQ craft in Houston. There is plenty that sucks about Tx... but not EVERYTHING!
Just sent you a PM.

I too, have the disease. I'm a grad of the Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School, and the Johnny Trigg/Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School.

If any of you have the disease of BBQ, please stop by:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Many, many hockey fans there. Hockey & BBQ are a match made in heaven.

Here's my last Xmas present from the missus:

That's the Backwood's Chubby model. GREAT smoker!

Here's the result from that cook:

Decent bark on the PP.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:21 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
You need to eat more BBQ.

Trust me on this.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:27 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
The whole team.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:28 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Was impressed with Dallas last night. They looked very good and fully deserved the win.