HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers 3, Canadiens 1

Old
11-09-2011, 08:32 AM
GMofOilers

vCash: 500
Pretty hard for the kids to get into the game when the team is taking penalties all second period. No surprise there at all. Notice how when they started getting regular ice they were good?

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Pretty hard for the kids to get into the game when the team is taking penalties all second period. No surprise there at all. Notice how when they started getting regular ice they were good?
This is pretty huge. You can talk all you want about the kids being the first line but when Horc and Smytty are playing 20+ minutes a night and the kids are getting around 15 it's pretty easy to see where the truth is.

They're not getting huge icetime on the road and I think they need it to build some momentum. Wont happen when we're killing penalties or tied in a tight game. Renney is still protecting them and not forcing them to produce like top line talent yet. We shouldnt expect them to dominate every game.

Halibut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:08 AM
backhandsauce

Can't wait for Hemsky to get his game timing back. He looked dangerous at times. Now that he is healthy maybe it's time to start Hemsky-Smyth unit on the #1 PP.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:18 AM
AvOiL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Well, a total of 5 faceoffs isn't a great sample size.
He was 6/10. All of them against Plekanec, who is winning faceoffs at 50.5% this year.

AvOiL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennep View Post
If only we had a Proper 3rd line.

Habs pushed us around. We had no response... Bruins are going to manhandle us
We should, honestly, this is why I want Hartakainnen up.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Belanger-Hartakainnen
Eager-Lander-Jones
Pettrell

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Pros and Cons

The Bulin Wall is outstanding!!!
How about Tom Gilbert and Ryan Smyth, they are making things happen at both ends of the ice. I love it.

As for the comments on the Canadien players falling all night, I have to agree, I was screaming at the TV all night. How can you learn to skate from the time you can walk, but when someone taps you cant keep your balance. Pathetic. Just play the game guys, there is no honor in winning with tricks. (Funny how they wouldnt fall when they had a shot on net taking the same abuse.)

Hall is trying the same moves that worked for him in junior, teams see him streaking down the outside they push him into the boards. Now watch the Canadiens to this move and they use the Nascar drafting technique. Player streaks in wide along boards, followed by another who gets the puck from the player who gets hit.

Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I didn't want to start a separate thread for this but does anyone know a status update on Whitney? Is he on the trip with the team? The Oilers site has him listed as 7-10 days and yesterday marked 2 weeks since he has been out.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Hockey FAN8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Thank you . Its the fourth or fifth TMM penalty the team has taken in one month of hockey . That's peewee time right there .

Are you kidding me ?

What does Jones have to do to get some love on this board ?
He gets bumped down in favor of Hemsky and responds by scoring a shortie (totally against the flow of play).
He is rewarded for a solid game (more yeoman PK work) with the second star of the night and people come on here and call him a "plug" and suggest sending him down .... in order to make room for Magnus . Unreal .
I agree....the guy has done everything asked of him and more. He may not have a lot of skill but makes up for it with 110% effort.

Hockey FAN8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Dabomb

Hands down.. hemsky is still the best player on this team. So glad to have him back.. hopefully he can finish off the rest of the season healthy.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Hands down.. hemsky is still the best player on this team. So glad to have him back.. hopefully he can finish off the rest of the season healthy.
I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but Hemsky was sure shying away from contact in the defensive zone last night. I was at the game and on one play in particular he completely bailed out on contact in the corner. He's not 100%. I guess he needs to start preserving himself though, it's just not the sort of thing I ever want to see in a playoff game.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:45 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I didn't want to start a separate thread for this but does anyone know a status update on Whitney? Is he on the trip with the team? The Oilers site has him listed as 7-10 days and yesterday marked 2 weeks since he has been out.
Gregor said something last week how he would be checked by the doctor this week if things were okay it would be another 7-10 days. Haven't heard anything since.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Oh okay so then maybe that 7-10 days on the Oilers website is an update from before. Who knows. Oh well the defense is doing fine right now. I just haven't seen Whitney play since last December and would like to see him again.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:34 PM
alternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but Hemsky was sure shying away from contact in the defensive zone last night. I was at the game and on one play in particular he completely bailed out on contact in the corner. He's not 100%. I guess he needs to start preserving himself though, it's just not the sort of thing I ever want to see in a playoff game.
To be fair, with his injury history and its inverse relationship with the Oilers playoff history, I would rather Hemsky take it easy and spend less time on the IR.

It's more important for him to be 100% and continue to be an offensive catalyst rather than him attempting to be a complete player and getting Reghr'd.

I'm sure when the games start to matter the most, Hemsky will be his usual self.

alternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:35 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
So I'm late to the party here, but did anyone notice how much more the kid line was finishing their checks? Hall had that big hit of course, which was really nice to see, and Eberle is usually good for finishing his checks... but even the Nuge was doing it and doing it effectively. It certainly wasn't pointless, they were doing it to great effect.

Really loved to see that. I never understood why players don't finish their checks, even the small ones. It seems like there's a misconception that if they don't hit, then players won't hit them, which is obviously ridiculous. I think it's quite the opposite with many teams, you get identified as a soft target and then singled out as someone to hit to make you uncomfortable playing against them. The kid line has figured this out. Ask Hemsky how "taking the high road" has worked out for him all these years.

Even if the kids aren't exactly hot offensively right now, they are making strides. Game by game, you can see the progress.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Klaus*

Quote:
He took some vicious crosschecks and hits too though, good to see that he's (hopefully) none the worse for wear. There were a few times where I also saw him bail on contact, something that he wouldn't have done in the past. If that's what it takes to keep him healthy though, I'm all for it.

Timing was off a little last night, it was obvious that he was a little rusty but hopefully that comes off pretty quick. We'll need him on top of his game in Boston and Detroit and Chicago.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:32 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Hemsky comes back in and automatically gets the A

what respect

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Cawz

Quote:
He's also likely a bit tentative after being hurt so often and being his first game back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Bob McKenzie said 10-14 days on the NHL network last night.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Just watched the game again but I'm still wondering what Plekanec was doing on the play of the game(Jones goal)

What an abortion of a play from one of your on ice leaders. Jones just owning him. Plekanec probably still trying to hide..

Oilers could've scored a few shorties. Just brutal PP by the habs and getting 12mins on the PP,a 5 on 3 and being outscored

Smyth was just awesomeness in this game. Especially in the 3rd. That line had so many scoring chances (I think 6 golden oppurtunities in the 3rd)

Sloppy game all round but a lot of that on our end was due to pk playing fatigue. Just awful onesided officiating.

Special mention to the goal judge trying to get Montreal in the game lol.

lovin this

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:13 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:

I noticed that too, he was avoiding contact quite a bit it seemed. I don't blame him though. I would rather he be careful and take it slow to start instead of going all out and getting hurt again.

Was weird to see though, Hemsky never avoids the corners.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Hemsky comes back in and automatically gets the A

what respect
Huh? When ANY captain or assistant on ANY team comes back from an injury they get their letter back. This is not some strange occurrence.

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam83 View Post
I noticed that too, he was avoiding contact quite a bit it seemed. I don't blame him though. I would rather he be careful and take it slow to start instead of going all out and getting hurt again.

Was weird to see though, Hemsky never avoids the corners.
I actually applaud it. Theres times where you shouldn't be taking the hits. Right now is one of them. I'd far rather see a healthy Hemsky then one getting rattled into the boards wreaking further havoc on his shoulders.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote