HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you like whole season of Sabres 6, Jets 5?

Old
11-09-2011, 01:42 PM
puckish66

vCash: 500
Would you like whole season of Sabres 6, Jets 5?

Beyond the obvious answer, that is -- yes, 82-0 would be awesome.

Would you like every game to be like last night, lots of chances, lots of mistakes, lots of power plays and lots of goals (and the occasional big hit and nasty fight)? Or would you like most games like that? Or just once in a while?

I doubt any fan would want to watch a whole season like that, but for me anyway, it's a lot closer to what hockey should be than the typical NHL game.

It was fun to watch, almost a guilty pleasure to see impenetrable defenses and goalies break down. Unfortunately, it's a fluke. To see this more often, owners will have to dictate a different style of play and the league will have to tweak the rules pretty dramatically.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I'd rather see 6-0.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

yessir

lots of goals is always awesome, as long as we win

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Gnuguy

Even with all the excitement from last nights game playing the Jets 82 times would get boring.

Hockey at its best is full of highlights: checks, shots, goals, saves and action.

Gnuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Nope.

6-5 in a game where the offensive guys are having unbelievable nights, sure.

But, 6-5 in a game filled with mistakes, blown coverages, soft goals, and questionable calls, making half the game a PP fest... Nah.

Because eventually, that style of play would bite you in the behind and you'd get blown away come playoff time.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Evgeni Giroux

who wouldn't? besides lindy..

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

I like high scoring games and excitement going back and forth, but last night's game wasn't an example of that. Last night's game was an example of just awful and sloppy play all over the place that resulted in a bunch of goals. That kind of game is frustrating to watch.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post

Would you like every game to be like last night, lots of chances, lots of mistakes, lots of power plays and lots of goals (and the occasional big hit and nasty fight)? Or would you like most games like that? Or just once in a while?

I doubt any fan would want to watch a whole season like that, but for me anyway, it's a lot closer to what hockey should be than the typical NHL game.

It was fun to watch, almost a guilty pleasure to see impenetrable defenses and goalies break down. Unfortunately, it's a fluke. To see this more often, owners will have to dictate a different style of play and the league will have to tweak the rules pretty dramatically.
Loved the back-and-forth nature of it, the fight was spirited and seemed to inspire both teams, and there was plenty of goalscoring to keep any fan on the edge of their seat.

That said, I agree with your take on it being a "guilty pleasure" and not being something that would happen night-to-night. It was a very sloppy game for both teams in a lot of ways. But 11 goals off 70-odd shots, combined? Very late '70's-early '90's in terms of outcome. It beats the pants off 2-1 snooze fests of the clutch-and-grab/Dead Puck era, that's for sure.

And yet, the comments will be that a team can't play that way all the time and expect to win in the playoffs. Granted, once upon a time, teams did play a very wide-open scoring style in the regular season and dial it down in the playoffs. Now it seems everyone is coached to have a perfect defensive game from pre-season to lifting the Cup. Wayne Gretzky once commented when asked how the Oilers could play firewagon hockey in the season and turn on the defense in the playoffs that "playing defense is boring".

11-09-2011, 02:15 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Fun to watch in November, not fun to watch in April.

What's the phrase? Offense wins games, defense wins championships?

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:29 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

What a fun game to be at. Fans dream, coaches nightmare

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:41 PM
MayDay

Didn't we already have that season in 2006-07?

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Crazy Tasty

sure... although my heart would likely giveout before April...

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:46 PM
slip

It's like asking Charlie Sheen if he wants to spend the rest of his life doing hookers and blow. Of course he does.

Doesn't mean it's the right way to live a life.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:53 PM
dan213

Not if that's the type of defense that will be played. Getting beat by 5 legit goals is ok, but letting guys walk in or stand in front of the net untouched is unacceptable.

dan213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:56 PM
LGB24

If the sabres arent involved and im just watching any game, yeah id love to watch a game like that however, I'd rather watch my team play very well at both ends of the ice and win say 2-0. Knowing your team can control all aspects of the game is more satisfying than a high scoring crap shoot IMO.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Yummy Tree Sap

Absolutely not. The Sabres were awful in their own zone last night and to have pulled off a win was a small miracle. It would not have happened if the Jets hadn't decided to give us about a thousand powerplays. It's nice to see the Sabres be able to pull through such an ugly game and still come out with a win, but play like that with an regularity and you're going to get blown out more often than not.

Yummy Tree Sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:18 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

I would rather see a team that battles in their own end and gives the opponent low level scoring chances. A team that can sustain a fore check as well as survive it.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post

nope. not looking to return to those days of being a regular season powerhouse, and a playoff panzy.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:33 PM
glassjaw*

No because we have Ryan Miller and he shouldn't be letting in 5 goals.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I like high scoring games and excitement going back and forth, but last night's game wasn't an example of that. Last night's game was an example of just awful and sloppy play all over the place that resulted in a bunch of goals. That kind of game is frustrating to watch.
This is how I feel. I like pace, excitement and skill. This game only really had excitement, some skill but a lot of mistakes and not much of a pace. For me, 2-1 games can be just as exciting as 7-6 shootouts. It always depends on the overall quality of play, not necessarily the number of goals.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:26 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Hated it. That was low-quality hockey, and terrible prep for the playoffs. I'd rather have 82 games of 1-0, with great defense and great goal-tending.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:24 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

no, I want good back and forth hockey with good defense and good offense. If it's a good game I'm ok with a 1-0 game in overtime.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:34 PM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

Playing the Jets every game would be boring.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Russ Tyler

so basically if the Sabres were the Leafs?

Russ Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:32 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Absolutely.

It wasn't picture perfect hockey, but do you know what picture perfect hockey looks like? 2-1 on Ot with minimal scoring chances and maybe a powerplay goal.

Imperfect hockey is much more entertaining. It was looking like the mid 80's and that's the kind of hockey I love.

The ridiculous amount of powerplays got kind of annoying, but even then, powerplays are very dramatic for both sides and result in lots of exciting, tense moments.

5 on 5 is probably the most boring hockey there is. 5v4, 4v4, etc is much more exicting. The game has more "flow" and less structure. Skating and hockey sense become more important than "system". That's the kind of hockey I love.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote