HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Trade Talk

Old
11-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan24 View Post
hahaha im a hardcore kings fan. Cmon Meszaros is an elite Def and Danny can help our 2 goals a game situation.
You lost all credibility when you called meszaros elite.

Seriously...ELITE defensemen?

Lidstrom, Weber, Chara, Pronger....Meszaros?

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:22 PM
KingsFan24*

If a say he is a legit defensemen will you stop your crying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
You lost all credibility when you called meszaros elite.

Seriously...ELITE defensemen?

Lidstrom, Weber, Chara, Pronger....Meszaros?

KingsFan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:29 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I KNOW RIGHT!? I did that trade on there AND they threw in a 2nd round pick. It HAS to work in real life.
My favorite is Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for Kyle Wellwood.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:33 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
And if he wasn't so wildly inconsistent he'd be a better scorer. The guy is streaky and has been nonexistent at even strength play this season.Two of his three goals this season have come on the powerplay.

Go look at his game log last season and observe the long goalless droughts he went through last season.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...eason=20102011

One goal in 10 games, one goal in 17 games, one goal in 5 games, one goal in 11 games, one goal in 5 games. Captain consistency right there.
He might not be consistent from game to game, but he is from season to season. And even if he's not scoring, he's working hard and isn't a liability. Not to mention if you look on the main board, virtually every team wants this guy if he were available.

Sometimes people do complain to much here.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:38 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
He might not be consistent from game to game, but he is from season to season. And even if he's not scoring, he's working hard and isn't a liability. Not to mention if you look on the main board, virtually every team wants this guy if he were available.

Sometimes people do complain to much here.
It's amazing really. Brown has been here a long time. Does this every season.

He will have one or two months were he lights the world on fire; still get his 25/50 and hit stuff.

Why do people keep thinking he is Malkin or Crosby?

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:44 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
Stoll should not be traded.

He should be forced to remove his visor though.

Maybe he will regain his form as a result.

He is only using it to help prevent a career threatening injury.

He is in the last year of his contract and wants that protection.

Unfortunately it is affecting his play.

Unfortunately the NHL does not grant teams the right to restrict players from making any changes that might hinder their performance as a result.

Unfortunately....
I really hope you forgot to add the If not, you sound like a real ass. "He's only using it to prevent a career threatening injury"? "He should be forced to remove his visor"? "Unfortunately the NHL does not grant teams the right to restrict players from making any changes that might hinder their performance as a result."?

Maybe the next time you are doing work requiring safety gear you should leave it off or have your employer force you to not wear it. You know, it could hinder your performance. Screw your health and vision, work more!

Old
11-09-2011, 11:26 AM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Quote:
I really hope you forgot to add the If not, you sound like a real ass. "He's only using it to prevent a career threatening injury"? "He should be forced to remove his visor"? "Unfortunately the NHL does not grant teams the right to restrict players from making any changes that might hinder their performance as a result."?

Maybe the next time you are doing work requiring safety gear you should leave it off or have your employer force you to not wear it. You know, it could hinder your performance. Screw your health and vision, work more!
I was joking. Next time I will make sure you understand that. Don't want you misinterpreting what I say. That would just be horrible.

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:33 AM
no name

Quote:
Penner + Stoll for Loui Eriksson and Jamie Benn.
oh boy.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:37 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
To Philly
Jarret Stoll
Willie Mitchell
Jonathan Bernier

To LA
Danny Briere
Andrej Meszaros
Max Talbot

I would love this trade. Never really liked Willie Mitchell haha. And I would hate to see Dustin Penner to leave even though he is as inconsistant as Alexander Frolov. Jonathan Bernier can leave for all I care he aint gonna be a #1 goalie for LA.
Living in PHilly, having seen all the Flyers games, I can tell you Meszaros is a stud , best D man for the team last year and only getting better and he's only 24. No way the Flyers let him go, esp for Mitchell...MEz is a lot better.

You don't want Briere at his age or salary (over 6 mill year) , as gifted as he is offensively, he's horrid defensivly, he the weakest forward on that team defensively and he (his line) were on the ice for more opponents goals than any other line last year. And as much as he was great offesively against Buff in the playoffs, he was on the ice for more goals against than he scored.

The FLyers don't need a goalie, they have a great backup in Bobrovsky...

There are teams out there, Devils, Columbus and Tampa Bay that do need a goalie and that's where DL should put a package together.
Mike Richards needs a skilled, fast top 6 winger.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:44 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
It's amazing really. Brown has been here a long time. Does this every season.

He will have one or two months were he lights the world on fire; still get his 25/50 and hit stuff.

Why do people keep thinking he is Malkin or Crosby?
Because he's playing on the wrong line, and that's not Brown's fault. If Brown played on the 3rd line all the time, where he belongs, he'd continue to put up the numbers he does and no one would have any issue with him because 3rd line guys aren't expected to have the skill of top 6 players.

Brown puts up consistent points every year and gives 100% every shift, but he's not a skill top 6 forward. He's just not, but the fact that his coach (and the GM given he's in charge of personnel) are constantly putting him in a top 6 role, he gets the microscope put on his overall skills.

Again, it's not Brown's fault he's playing where he is. He's being miscast.

Dean needs to bring in a top 6 winger so Brown can be effective in a 3rd line role.

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:47 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
I was joking. Next time I will make sure you understand that. Don't want you misinterpreting what I say. That would just be horrible.
Don't have to be an ass. You've been around here for a few years, you've seen some of the posts that peopl make and are sincere about it. There is a reason we have emoticons, use them.

Old
11-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
If Brown played on the 3rd line all the time, where he belongs, he'd continue to put up the numbers he does and no one would have any issue with him because 3rd line guys aren't expected to have the skill of top 6 players.
I'm not so sure about that. You take him off the number 1 powerplay and put him on the 3rd line and he's likely to be more of a 10/20 guy than a 25/50 guy. His numbers are inflated because of the minutes he gets and the players he's playing with. Clifford wouldn't have been able to score that one-timer that Richards did yesterday, for example. If you rolled Westgarth out there on the #1 PP unit and put him in front of the net I'd bet he'd pot a couple too, even it it was Kopitar or Richards banking it in off his ass.

My biggest problem with Brown is that even if you're a 3rd/4th line guy, you're still expected to be able to chip the puck out at the blueline and get it in deep on the forecheck, and he bungles this stuff ALL THE TIME.

Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:06 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Because he's playing on the wrong line, and that's not Brown's fault. If Brown played on the 3rd line all the time, where he belongs, he'd continue to put up the numbers he does and no one would have any issue with him because 3rd line guys aren't expected to have the skill of top 6 players.

Brown puts up consistent points every year and gives 100% every shift, but he's not a skill top 6 forward. He's just not, but the fact that his coach (and the GM given he's in charge of personnel) are constantly putting him in a top 6 role, he gets the microscope put on his overall skills.

Again, it's not Brown's fault he's playing where he is. He's being miscast.

Dean needs to bring in a top 6 winger so Brown can be effective in a 3rd line role.
Don't agree, sorry. You don't put up 24-28 goals a season with 3rd line skills. You just don't. People seem to think if you drop him to the third line but keep him on the PP he's numbers won't decline, almost suggesting his offense comes from the PP. It doesn't. He's scored 21 goals on the powerplay the last three seasons combined, out of the 76 he's scored, or 28%. That means 72% of his offense is coming 5-on-5. That's better than Kopitar (65% at even strength), Penner (71%) , Gagne (59%) and Mike Richards (56%) and just behind Williams (75%). Brown does his best at even strength, which to me speaks not only against what others have said about awarding him more PP time to off-set the goal reduction from 3rd line ice time, but also against what you are saying in that he's not skilled enough to be on the top two lines.

Brown is once again on pace for 55 points and has hit at least 24 goals four straight seasons. Even on a slumping team, Brown is tied for fourth in goals and sits fourth in points, which if you look at his production in the past is where he is usually at in terms of points. I swear this is the only fanbase where pushing a guy like this to the third line would even be discussed.

He shouldn't be a 1st liner, but he shouldn't be a 3rd liner either.

Old
11-09-2011, 12:16 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Don't agree, sorry. You don't put up 24-28 goals a season with 3rd line skills. You just don't. People seem to think if you drop him to the third line but keep him on the PP he's numbers won't decline, almost suggesting his offense comes from the PP. It doesn't. He's scored 21 goals on the powerplay the last three seasons combined, out of the 76 he's scored, or 28%. That means 72% of his offense is coming 5-on-5. That's better than Kopitar (65% at even strength), Penner (71%) , Gagne (59%) and Mike Richards (56%) and just behind Williams (75%). Brown does his best at even strength, which to me speaks not only against what others have said about awarding him more PP time to off-set the goal reduction from 3rd line ice time, but also against what you are saying in that he's not skilled enough to be on the top two lines.

Brown is once again on pace for 55 points and has hit at least 24 goals four straight seasons. Even on a slumping team, Brown is tied for fourth in goals and sits fourth in points, which if you look at his production in the past is where he is usually at in terms of points. I swear this is the only fanbase where pushing a guy like this to the third line would even be discussed.

He shouldn't be a 1st liner, but he shouldn't be a 3rd liner either.
Is he frustrating with his puck handling at time? Yes, but this is an accurrate assessment IMO.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Duc620

Brown - Leadership + 25/50pts + top 5 in hits - 2 or 3 mistakes a game = TRADE?

Stoll - 60-70% in faceoffs + vet + 15/25 pts + shootouts = TRADE?

Bad calculus. Bad. You go lie down now.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:09 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Brown - Leadership + 25/50pts + top 5 in hits - 2 or 3 mistakes a game = TRADE?

Stoll - 60-70% in faceoffs + vet + 15/25 pts + shootouts = TRADE?

Bad calculus. Bad. You go lie down now.
I doubt he'll ever get 60-70% FO's. Stoll is an ok player but he is not a difference maker. If the Kings can get value for him since he is a FA, while sending a message tot he team and bringing a more skilled player in Loki up I think it's a smart move.

Old
11-09-2011, 01:12 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I doubt he'll ever get 60-70% FO's. Stoll is an ok player but he is not a difference maker. If the Kings can get value for him since he is a FA, while sending a message tot he team and bringing a more skilled player in Loki up I think it's a smart move.
The Kings seem to have a need at the moment for a 3rd line RW. Stoll is not a great playmaker, but he can shoot the puck when given a chance.

I still advocate a 3rd line of:

Richardson/Clifford - Loktionov - Stoll

and Stoll can take the faceoffs.

Old
11-09-2011, 01:24 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The Kings seem to have a need at the moment for a 3rd line RW. Stoll is not a great playmaker, but he can shoot the puck when given a chance.

That's a pretty solid idea.

Old
11-09-2011, 01:29 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Only thing that concerns me about it is that it may not be much of a stopper line and we may have to look to

Penner - Richards - Brown

or

Richdardson/Clifford - Lewis - Moreau

to fill that need.

A lot would depend on how effective Loktionov can be with his stick in his own zone. He certainly won't be knocking guys off the puck, but I guess that would be Clifford and Stoll's job.

Old
11-09-2011, 01:53 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

Quote:
I will second the motion presented by Kings17. All in favor?

Old
11-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

I agree it's time to see both the Russians in the lineup full time. You gotta think there'd be some market for Stoll & Martinez.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Duc620

Are there real "stopper" lines anymore? Hasn't the defensive side of the game really been reduced to either forecheck / bottled up or four men back with a pinching forward?

I still believe Loktionov is better served getting physically stronger with more important minutes as a leader in the minors at this point in his development. It always seemed to me that players are best brought up in late Feb or March... after the team has a real identity and record. That allows the new kid specific roles and expectations rather than just "changing things up". Gives them a better position from which to succeed and leaves the pressure on the vets.

It's still too soon to be easing up on the current group of players by firing coaches, making trades or bringing kids up. That takes the responsibility for success out of the room and puts it in the executive suite. For me, that's not where this team is at.

Last edited by Duc620: 11-09-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old
11-09-2011, 03:10 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Are there real "stopper" lines anymore? Hasn't the defensive side of the game really been reduced to either forecheck / bottled up or four men back with a pinching forward?

I still believe Loktionov is better served getting physically stronger with more important minutes as a leader in the minors at this point in his development. It always seemed to me that players are best brought up in late Feb or March... after the team has a real identity and record. That allows the new kid specific roles and expectations rather than just "changing things up". Gives them a better position from which to succeed and leaves the pressure on the vets.

It's still too soon to be easing up on the current group of players by firing coaches, making trades or bringing kids up. That takes the responsibility for success out of the room and puts it in the executive suite. For me, that's not where this team is at.
Something to be said for this as well. I would like to see Loktionov at least get a cup of coffee this season. There's still a long way to go. We shall see.

Old
11-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Asheru

Quote:
Only thing that concerns me about it is that it may not be much of a stopper line and we may have to look to

Penner - Richards - Brown

or

Richdardson/Clifford - Lewis - Moreau

to fill that need.

A lot would depend on how effective Loktionov can be with his stick in his own zone. He certainly won't be knocking guys off the puck, but I guess that would be Clifford and Stoll's job.
If by stopper line you mean taking on the top offensive lines of the opposition (Malkin, Kovalchuk, etc), Richards's line has already been doing that. It could work.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Something to be said for this as well. I would like to see Loktionov at least get a cup of coffee this season. There's still a long way to go. We shall see.
Agreed. Bring him up in the Spring so he can get a taste of the NHL during the playoff push.