HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Mark Letestu to Columbus for a 4th round pick

Old
11-09-2011, 10:24 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Something's got to give here. I'm anxious to see when it is, who it is, and for what, GMSH.

You're forgetting the best #17 ever, All-Star center Gilbert Brule.
How the hell did I remember Paul Manning and forget Jill-Bear??

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
We gave up a 4th rounder for some depth, I'm not sure why people are getting their panties in a bunch over a minor deal like this that seems to improve the organization.
Just wondering when the real improvement will take place...

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:38 AM
JacketsFanWest

If he can play wing, I could see Letestu filling in for Calvert and Atkinson. Even Johansen if he takes a step back.

Rookies and young players work fine when they have the support of veterans (On a team like Philadelphia, Sean Couturier can fit right in as an 18 year old.)

When the rest of their teammates on the ice are doing a Chinese fire drill, it exposes rookies who can't compensate for their teammates' mistakes. During the Philly game, Calvert got all turned around on some of the goals against. He looked lost and (sad to say) rather pathetic.

If the team isn't playing well, then the number of rookies/young players needs to be minimized. If the veterans are lost and confused, how the heck are the rookies suppose to learn the game?

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:10 PM
bester vaive
Fear the Titan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
How the hell did I remember Paul Manning and forget Jill-Bear??
I assumed Gilbert was in the Jackets Immortals class, not the Jackets Greats.

bester vaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:13 PM
blahblah

Seems like a decent move to help stabilize the bottom six. Also gives us a possible replacement for Pahlsson going into next year or, at least, allow for the shifting of resources to fill the hole left.

If nothing else maybe we'll get a draft pick for a guy like Sammy at the trade deadline to replace the one given up to get this guy.

Having said that, it obviously doesn't address the core issues with this team. It also does nothing for fan confidence or give any feeling of direction on team improvement.

It's a yawner of a move, because there is nothing of any true substance behind it.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:19 PM
BluejacketNut

Mark must be thrilled

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

RobMixer Rob Mixer
#CBJ C Mark Letestu said he's excited about the chance to play a bigger role in Columbus. Hopped in the car at 5:30 a.m. today to get here.

however he was found about 930 with the window cracked and the garage door still closed!

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Solid pickup. I watched Letestu a fair amount last year. As far as I'm concerned, pencil him and D-Mac in on the bottom 6 going forward with Johansen and Carter in the top 6. Get rid of the rest.
I like Letestu's game.

For those who haven't seen him, he's somewhere between Pahlsson and Malhotra. He's got a good but not great defensive game, but he's miles better than Pahlsson in the offensive zone and probably a little bit better than Malhotra.

With a decent amount of playing time and stretched out over an entire season, I'd have him for 10-15 goals and 35-45 points, with a bit of second-unit PK and possibly PP time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
RobMixer Rob Mixer
#CBJ C Mark Letestu said he's excited about the chance to play a bigger role in Columbus. Hopped in the car at 5:30 a.m. today to get here.

however he was found about 930 with the window cracked and the garage door still closed!
Ba-zing.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:04 PM
The Four Seven
Boone Jenner

Quote:
RobMixer Rob Mixer

The Four Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:16 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
I like Letestu's game.

For those who haven't seen him, he's somewhere between Pahlsson and Malhotra. He's got a good but not great defensive game, but he's miles better than Pahlsson in the offensive zone and probably a little bit better than Malhotra.
I think we are all coming around to the same conclusions on this trade.

Frankly I find this a decent move with almost no downside. It has the potential to work for the next few years.

Old
11-09-2011, 02:16 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

From PuckRakers,

Apparently, he survived:

Newest Blue Jacket Mark Letestu got up at 5:30 a.m., drove from Pittsburgh to Columbus, laced up his skates and stepped onto the Nationwide Arena ice for practice with his new team this morning.
Later, in the dressing room, his good nature spilled into the notebooks and microphones of the weary, coffee-swilling media types.
He said he couldn’t be happier to have been traded to the worst team in the NHL. The Penguins are getting healthy and needed to clear some roster space. Letestu was traded in exchange for a fourth-round pick in 2012.
“Space had to be made somewhere,” Letestu said. “I’m excited that it was me. I’m coming to a place where I expect to do well and I’m going to play a lot more than I did.
“Obviously the moods are a little different in the room but it doesn’t deter me from the challenge ahead. I’ve played on teams in this situation. I’m here to be part of the solution.”
Letestu skated as a wing on the No. 2 line today with right wing Vinny Prospal and center Derick Brassard. They also made up the No. 2 power-play unit.
Letestu, 26, had one assist and a minus-6 rating in 11 games for the Penguins.
“It’s something I think I needed,” he said of the trade. “A new start, a new team, a new atmosphere. Maybe a jump start.”

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:35 PM
blahblah

lol, OMG Pete that stuff is making me laugh hard. I think I'm going to like this kid.

Dropping him in on the second line and on the PP to start? lol, wow. That has to be one of the oddest second lines.. Ever...

Old
11-09-2011, 02:39 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Apparently, he survived:

Newest Blue Jacket Mark Letestu got up at 5:30 a.m., drove from Pittsburgh to Columbus, laced up his skates and stepped onto the Nationwide Arena ice for practice with his new team this morning.
Later, in the dressing room, his good nature spilled into the notebooks and microphones of the weary, coffee-swilling media types.
He said he couldn’t be happier to have been traded to the worst team in the NHL. The Penguins are getting healthy and needed to clear some roster space. Letestu was traded in exchange for a fourth-round pick in 2012.
“Space had to be made somewhere,” Letestu said. “I’m excited that it was me. I’m coming to a place where I expect to do well and I’m going to play a lot more than I did.
“Obviously the moods are a little different in the room but it doesn’t deter me from the challenge ahead. I’ve played on teams in this situation. I’m here to be part of the solution.”
Letestu skated as a wing on the No. 2 line today with right wing Vinny Prospal and center Derick Brassard. They also made up the No. 2 power-play unit.
Letestu, 26, had one assist and a minus-6 rating in 11 games for the Penguins.
“It’s something I think I needed,” he said of the trade. “A new start, a new team, a new atmosphere. Maybe a jump start.”
This team went from attempting to convert every player in the lineup to a #1 center...to turning every center into a second line winger. Amazing.

In all seriousness, that's our second line? I like the acquisition, but question whether Letestu should be on the second line.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

but, but..he's a top 9 player...transitive property is a 2nd line winger!

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
but, but..he's a top 9 player...transitive property is a 2nd line winger!
You have to be desperate to put this guy in the top six and on the PP in his first game.

Old
11-09-2011, 03:07 PM
SkullSplitter

As a Pens fan I feel bad for you guys. I think maybe he could make it as a 3C or even 2C somewhere in the league on a team that is very shallow down the middle, but he doesn't have the skillset for wing.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:45 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
You have to be desperate to put this guy in the top six and on the PP in his first game.
I would hope the implication to the other players would be something along the line of "look, we picked this guy up off the street and we're giving him PP time and 2nd line minutes..instead of you.."

Old
11-09-2011, 04:08 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
I would hope the implication to the other players would be something along the line of "look, we picked this guy up off the street and we're giving him PP time and 2nd line minutes..instead of you.."
According to Portzline, Ryan Johansen will be a healthy scratch for tomorrows game, in favor of our new pick up. Only makes sense that we scratch one of our hottest goal scorers, with 2 game winning goals

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:32 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
or stupid or both. That's Scott Arniel in a nutshell for ya.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:35 PM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Quote:
Seems like a decent move to help stabilize the bottom six. Also gives us a possible replacement for Pahlsson going into next year or, at least, allow for the shifting of resources to fill the hole left.

If nothing else maybe we'll get a draft pick for a guy like Sammy at the trade deadline to replace the one given up to get this guy.

Having said that, it obviously doesn't address the core issues with this team. It also does nothing for fan confidence or give any feeling of direction on team improvement.

It's a yawner of a move, because there is nothing of any true substance behind it.
Agree on the trade concept, but maybe because I've been so tired of Pahlsson's contract and the price per goal that I'd consider trading Sammy and a #3 pick for #4 pick.

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:37 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBartoli View Post
Agree on the trade concept, but maybe because I've been so tired of Pahlsson's contract and the price per goal that I'd consider trading Sammy and a #3 pick for #4 pick.
I'd do it too, just to get money off the books. I'd love to see a database of NHL players "price per point"

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:11 PM
CaliBuck
Mission: Playoffs

I can already see the nicknames coming in when he turns out to be terrible...like when we called Scott LaChance, "LaPylon." In this case, Letestu will be "LeTestTube."

Ok, lame joke.

CaliBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:40 PM
The Four Seven
Boone Jenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBuck View Post
I can already see the nicknames coming in when he turns out to be terrible...like when we called Scott LaChance, "LaPylon." In this case, Letestu will be "LeTestTube."

Ok, lame joke.
It appears he already has that nickname:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens171 View Post
Possibly a sign of Crosby coming back this Friday? Anyway, this isn't a bad deal for the Pens. We simply had no room for him. Good luck TestTube.

The Four Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:42 PM
davidbklyn

Quote:
I'd say desperate is the right word, yes

davidbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:04 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
He's wearing number 17....

Jackets Greats to don the 17:

Steve "The Maltais Falcon" Maltais
Kevyn Adams
Paul Manning
Andrew Murray
Adams only wore 42 but not only did you miss Brule (as already pointed out) you missed the great Tomi Kallio and David Ling as donning this great number.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote