HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Assign Markstrom to San Antonio

Old
11-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Holy Jokinen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Look, it's fact markstrom outplayed anything Clemmer could ever play. That's evidenced by markstrom splitting duties while here and Clemmer avoiding splinters.
It's fact based on performance he earned the spot to stay and split time with Jose.
Clearly having to pay markstrom to play NHL while paying Clemmer in the AHL played a huge role in what was decided.
Put it this way.. Is anyone more confident when Clemmer gets in the net next week ten if it we markstrom? And that is a rhetorical question ...
I hope Jose keeps up the play like last night and Clemmer doesn't hurt us as each point now with a contending team is crucial.
How exactly was that made clear? I think that's an assumption and not a fact.

The fact is that goalies take longer to develop and the panthers have been guilty of rushing prospects in the past. This is the right move, and remember, even Alex Auld had a couple of good games down here -- Markstrom playing really well for a few games doesn't make him an all-star. Nor is it enough to usurp a very good goalie in Theo.

The thinking behind this move was not primarily money, not at all. Rather it was giving Markstrom the most playing time while not being a complete dick to players who have dedicated themselves to your team. Signing Theo, telling him he'd battle for the starter job in camp, having him earn that job, and then forcing him to sit every night just so we can give a more popular player starting time, all while the true backup wastes away in the AHL.... yeah that's not exactly a classy way to run a club, and DT knows more about hockey and hockey players than to mess with them like that. Plus, DT know thats Markstrom can come up at any time, whether it be injuries, fatigue, trades, whatever.

Good move. I look forward to seeing Marky back in net ASAP.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:59 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
How exactly was that made clear? I think that's an assumption and not a fact.

The fact is that goalies take longer to develop and the panthers have been guilty of rushing prospects in the past. This is the right move, and remember, even Alex Auld had a couple of good games down here -- Markstrom playing really well for a few games doesn't make him an all-star. Nor is it enough to usurp a very good goalie in Theo.

The thinking behind this move was not primarily money, not at all. Rather it was giving Markstrom the most playing time while not being a complete dick to players who have dedicated themselves to your team. Signing Theo, telling him he'd battle for the starter job in camp, having him earn that job, and then forcing him to sit every night just so we can give a more popular player starting time, all while the true backup wastes away in the AHL.... yeah that's not exactly a classy way to run a club, and DT knows more about hockey and hockey players than to mess with them like that. Plus, DT know thats Markstrom can come up at any time, whether it be injuries, fatigue, trades, whatever.

Good move. I look forward to seeing Marky back in net ASAP.

As I have stated numerous times, the argument is not Markstrom REPLACING Theo, the Argument was keeping Markstrom in lieu of CLEMMER if you believe Markstrom-Theo is a better tandem then Clemmer Theo. Thus i have no idea what the point of your bolded statement is.

As Flakov said in the Sentinel today "... it’s obvious that rookie Jacob Markstrom is ready and the Panthers could have one of the best goalie tandems in the league with him and a resurgent Jose Theodore, who has been solid all season (5-2-2).

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...lemmensen.html

Great quote. I too look forward to Markstrom in net ASAP.

PS your statement That Theo earned the job out of Camp is factualy incorrect. Coach was considering Clemmer as equal as Theo until the early October injury.

Last edited by adam graves: 11-09-2011 at 02:14 PM.
adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:07 PM
zeroG

ugh. how does playing clemmer in the AHL make any sense (financially, logically)? this is a very competent NHL goalie who's proven way more than markstrom, regardless of upside. that is the true bottom line.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:07 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
[QUOTE=LuckyLuke87;39178235]Well, I'm not dancing in ecstasy about every move Tallon makes. But I give respect where it should be given - Tallon is the best GM this franchise had in a long time and I'm well aware of it. On the other hand, I will never be one of those "yeah, waive Grabner, show some accountability, great move" or "yes, trading Frolik + Salak for scraps is fantastic move, it clearly sends message" guys. I know that being critical at boards where almost everyone holds Tallon in semi-god status and adores every move he makes leaves me pretty exposed to all possible bashing. I can live with it.[QUOTE]

Like Laus said, Id like to see who would keep Grabner on the team just because. He didnt prove anything in preseason, and the best thing was to send him down. He even said he understood why he was being sent down. This is really beating what happened to death.

And the Frolik deal was for scraps? It sent a message? You are right, it did, it showed players that if you dont give 100% on both sides of the ice, you wont be a Florida Panther. Could we have possibly gotten more, who knows, because Tallon is the one making and receiving the calls, so NOBODY knows what value Frolik had in the league.

Quote:
Reality is, for all the good moves he has done, there are also pretty bad ones and no rationale person can deny it. And I wouldn't call waiving Grabner, trading Frolik for nothing, or wasting top3 pick on Gudbranson (I will get beaten alive for this, but I stand still with my opinion from draft day that at that #3 spot much better options were available) the good ones and closing eyes doesn't make them disappear. But watching Panthers play this year, good moves outweights the bad ones and that wasn't usual for Panthers (btw, I love getting Dineen as head coach or getting rid of Olesz).
Wrong. For all the good moves he made, there are less than a handful that are bad. You dont like Gudbranson, who would you have chosen? Let me guess, Skinner right? Because he was slotted to go in the top three, right? Gudbranson was the right pick for us. I would really like to see you try and explain who would have been the "Much better option!"

Quote:
But this is thread about Markstrom - you might advocate that move all you can, I still don't see anything good about it. I've never said Markstrom should start 60 games right now. But he was playing great and sticking with Tallon's words (performance and winning is all that matters) he should have stayed and play. If he starts to get exposed etc., you can send him down anytime. He can work on his weaknesses playing in AHL as well as plaing in NHL as far as he's getting wins. I think you should play the best player - is youngster getting you wins? Than don't send him down in favor of 15-year veteran, whose days are almost over and who is coincidentally worse player too. If you do so, than don't talk about accountability, winning now and performance is the most important because it all sounds like a BS. Simply admit it's money move and you don't care about winning as much as you claim.
This move was about money as much as anything else, but the kid needed work on his game too. Instead of getting one start every five games, he gets to play most of the games for SA, I dont know why you do not see that. Theodore has played well this season, and there is no point having Markstrom play once a week, if that, just so he can be in the bigs. Like everyone has said/tweeted already, he is our future, and we will see him sooner rather than later.

Quote:
To his "building SC winner" in Chicago - just ask Hawks fans how do they feel about him - he helped that franchise short term, no doubt about it, but than hurt it longterm with terrible moves and contracts (not even mentioning poor draft record). His handing out fat contracts like candies frenzy did hurt Balckhawks a lot and they are still recovering.
Im sure if you polled Chicago fans, MOST would take the SC title, especially considering they havent won a Cup in decades. Im sure if you polled fans of ANY team in this league, MOST would not mind what Tallon did, if it meant a Cup.

Quote:
To alleviate all the anger coming to me after this post - I think Tallon is good GM, he's heading this team in right direction, but he's not that go(o)d as some people here are convinced. And only because they think so, I won't agree with every move he makes. Markstrom is great goalie and he can handle NHL workload right now, it seems some people still don't realize how good he is.
He is that good, his track record here CLEARLY shows that. Has he been perfect, of course not, he has made mistakes, but this team has never had a transformation of this magnitude before, and it all started when Tallon was hired. He brought credibility to the organization, and has put us on a path, his blueprint, at a time where we needed it most.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote