HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RE: doug maclean's comments on Kadri

Old
11-09-2011, 01:15 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Hey bud......you know where you can put it.
No, I don't. You have whined about Burke moving/discarding Kadri. But you won't back it up. Cause it's false. You complain Kadri will be thrown away just like all the others, but when asked about all the others, you excused some of the others because they worked, so now it's not all the others. It's some of the others. How do you know Kadri will be moved? Show us some precedent? Tlusty? Ok. But he helped turn into a 1st round pick. You've got a blind hatred. It's blind because what you hate isn't real.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:19 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

To me, Kadri's game just doesn't translate well into the NHL. I believe he'll still be a legit NHLer, but when the Leafs drafted Kadri, I'm sure they were expecting he'd be a legit first line player, maybe even a star player in the NHL.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:22 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
No, I don't. You have whined about Burke moving/discarding Kadri. But you won't back it up. Cause it's false. You complain Kadri will be thrown away just like all the others, but when asked about all the others, you excused some of the others because they worked, so now it's not all the others. It's some of the others. How do you know Kadri will be moved? Show us some precedent? Tlusty? Ok. But he helped turn into a 1st round pick. You've got a blind hatred. It's blind because what you hate isn't real.
Well. Blind? Kid played well in his first camp and was sent back to junior-it was understandable and they asked him to perform well in junior. He lit it up for 90+ points and over 2ppg in the playoffs. They asked him to gain weight which he did, came to camp and was slower because of the weight, sent him to the minors and asked him to work on the wing and his defensive responsibilities and he did, was called up and looked alright. Asked to loose some weight, had to laugh at that one and become quicker and come to camp and be prepared which he did. I believe in all games he played except one was he the best forward on the ice. Gets injured, loses his job which should not happen. Comes back from injury and in the first period sets up the first goal in Boston, pretty much one of the few forwards that was prepared to play. Goes into Montreal and plays pretty well, undresses a d-man and crashed the net. Was instrumental with the energy he brought to that game and we won. Gets sent back to the minors. They have jerked around this player so much, ripped him in the media by Burke and Wilson and you are going to tell me they have given him a fair shake? I don't have time guy.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:33 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
They have jerked around this player so much, ripped him in the media by Burke and Wilson and you are going to tell me they have given him a fair shake? I don't have time guy.
Mole Hill=Mountain

You seem to have lots of time.

Old
11-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Pretty obvious Kadri has fallen out of favour with the organization. Good chance he'll be moved sometime this season.
i doubt it, but who knows.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:39 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Mole Hill=Mountain

You seem to have lots of time.
You seem to have more.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:41 PM
GrizzLeaf

I'm more than a little concerned about Kadri's development. Before someone calls me a Kadri hater, or says I'm one of those guys that want to rush him, hear me out. <-- funny how a poster can be considered both/either, in one post hehehhe.

He's been the Leafs #1 prospect and the one with the most potential for a few years now. I've bought into all the hype, hoping he could develop into that center-man roll and eventually center the second line, or possibly the first one. Even when it looked like he was struggling at C, I really hoped to see him as top 6 player on the Leafs.

Have I given up? No. But the longer it takes Kadri to make the jump to the NHL, the more he's looking like one of those 40% of first rounders that don't ever make the NHL, or do, but don't play any significant number of games. You see, "A first round selection is far more valuable than any other selection – a player taken in that range has a slightly better than 60% chance of turning out to be a “decent” or better player; nearly three times the rate of the second round" (taken from here http://theleafsnation.com/2011/3/10/...nhl-draft-pick ) . But that doesn't mean a first rounder is guaranteed money.

Kadri's development seems to have taken a strange turn. He's done the AHL thing, put in some games on the big club. Adjusted his off-season workouts like he was asked, and then re-changed them again, because it looked like it hindered more than helped (last season). He's gone from the center-man prospect that could be developed in the system, as opposed to looking outside. Now he seems like he's playing wing when he comes up to the big club. Is he even a C anymore? or does he play wing in the A as well?

My problem may just be a lack of patience. If the Leafs are winning and there are no issues with the NHL players, I tend to not think much about what prospects are doing. But with the recent injuries, goaltending problems and losing streak, I'm looking at what's in the system and wondering who could come up and make any difference.

Kadri has shown some flashes when he as has played for the Leafs, but he still seems to have some lapses in judgement which is what got him sent down. I'm wondering how many more chances he'll get before other guys start making the jump over him, if any do. I'm really hoping he starts to "get it" and develops the hockey smarts that seem to be missing, when I see him play. That way, he can make the jump to the big club (this year or next) and start helping out.

For now though, it looks like Kadri's not gonna be the answer to the Leafs problems, which is mostly team defense and goaltending. Although, the last two games, offense has been anemic, at best.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:43 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
i am paraphrasing, but he thinks there's something up with this organization and Kadri. mentioned his poor AHL effort: 6 GP, 4pts, 4 assists, -4. can't understand why he's continually not been given a chance with the big club.

My question for you is:

Does Kadri want to be here?

what's the buzz?

what do you think?

Please/Thanks
Good job creating another Kadri bashing thread.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:47 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
You seem to have more.
I'm not the one stating "I don't have time".

Old
11-09-2011, 01:49 PM
anderson3133

A lot of people seem to forget the fact that Colborne is a year ahead of him developmentally and he is down in the AHL too. It appears as though Burke and co. really want these guys to bring something to this team next year or later in the year when it comes time for some trade deadline action. We have a number of roster spots coming up this year with Grabovski, Kulemin and Frattin and if these guys can keep up the excellent work we will see them soon enough.

I also pointed out that they gave Kesler a very similar treatment in his second pro year as he played the entirety of the season with Vancouver's affiliate after splitting the previous year between both the AHL and NHL.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernicious View Post
Good job creating another Kadri bashing thread.
Well the Lupul one didn't go as planned

Old
11-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

just trade him in a package for a #1 center and be done with it!

Kadri potential = Ribeiro 2.0

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:03 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
A lot of people seem to forget the fact that Colborne is a year ahead of him developmentally and he is down in the AHL too. It appears as though Burke and co. really want these guys to bring something to this team next year or later in the year when it comes time for some trade deadline action. We have a number of roster spots coming up this year with Grabovski, Kulemin and Frattin and if these guys can keep up the excellent work we will see them soon enough.

I also pointed out that they gave Kesler a very similar treatment in his second pro year as he played the entirety of the season with Vancouver's affiliate after splitting the previous year between both the AHL and NHL.
I get the feeling there would be just as many Colborne has fallen out of favor with management topics every other day if he was originally drafted by Toronto.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:03 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Well. Blind? Kid played well in his first camp and was sent back to junior-it was understandable and they asked him to perform well in junior. He lit it up for 90+ points and over 2ppg in the playoffs. They asked him to gain weight which he did, came to camp and was slower because of the weight, sent him to the minors and asked him to work on the wing and his defensive responsibilities and he did, was called up and looked alright. Asked to loose some weight, had to laugh at that one and become quicker and come to camp and be prepared which he did. I believe in all games he played except one was he the best forward on the ice. Gets injured, loses his job which should not happen. Comes back from injury and in the first period sets up the first goal in Boston, pretty much one of the few forwards that was prepared to play. Goes into Montreal and plays pretty well, undresses a d-man and crashed the net. Was instrumental with the energy he brought to that game and we won. Gets sent back to the minors. They have jerked around this player so much, ripped him in the media by Burke and Wilson and you are going to tell me they have given him a fair shake? I don't have time guy.
I've never agreed with a post on HF more than I do this one. It is perplexing and unsettling how this guy gets treated by this organization. Yet other guys who don't hack it, or play to his level are given much more. He does everything that is asked off him... go down and dominate the ohl, done... gain weight before camp, done... play more reliable defensively, done... play well in the AHL, done... now lose weight again, done... What the hell does this guy have to do to be given a legit shot at the NHL? He'd be far more productive than Matt Frattin. Matt Frattin has 1 assists in 12 games and yet he is given ample opportunity than Naz.

I thought Naz played well in almost every preseason game, and season game he's played in; he was far better than Frattin. Yet that is not good enough for the leafs, how do you expect a guy to succeed at the next level if you aren't even going to give him a chance. And the beat down this guy gets from Ron...JESUS! You'd think he was the coach's whipping boy. I RARELY hear anything positive come from Ron's mouth pertaining to Kadri, and yet he constantly pumps the tires of veterans like Komi. This kid won't be a leaf for long the way this organization is handling him.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:07 PM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernicious View Post
I get the feeling there would be just as many Colborne has fallen out of favor with management topics every other day if he was originally drafted by Toronto.
More than likely.

Old
11-09-2011, 02:26 PM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Pretty obvious Kadri has fallen out of favour with the organization. Good chance he'll be moved sometime this season.
Isn't this what *************** said and everyone on these boards poopoo'd it? Just sayin.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
'Does Kadri want to be here?'

uhh..

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
the only 'conspiracy' going on is that the leafs are developing a prospect right.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
Isn't this what *************** said and everyone on these boards poopoo'd it? Just sayin.
IB was just stating the obvious as most these rumor guys do...

IMO the only way he gets moved is if he is in a package for a 1 center, otherwise i highly doubt he gets moved this year.

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:36 PM
LeafsDiary

Quote:
I am sure he would accept a third line role if that what they would have asked of him. They are making this kid to be a PITA which he is not.
Question: How do you know this?

I know from the horses mouth that he rubbed people the wrong way in London and did so at the start of the season in Toronto as well.

You can accuse people of blind faith in management, but at some point you'll have to admit that actions like this are unacceptable and he needs to mature in the minors for a bit.

LeafsDiary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Auzzie19

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He's not up because of depth.

Leafs have 7 NHL D. Up front:

Lupul Conolly Kessel
Kulemin Grabo McArthur
Crabb Lombardi Frattin
Dupuis Steckel Brown
Armstong
Rosehill
Orr

That's a full roster. In case people aren't aware sometimes players are sent down for contractual purposes and waivers. That's probably why Aulie initially went down. Who else will clear waivers?

Frattin has proved he can battle and is a better fit for the third line. I think they want Kadri to play in the top 6.

Crabb -- if anyone noticed -- was recalled just before his 30 days were up. So he didn't have to go in recallable waivers. Burke is just protecting an asset here -- a guy that was 2nd in AHL scoring -- and he would loose if recalled later. Colborne and Kadri don't need to pass through waivers.

The roster, and Kadrii are a result of where the Leafs are right now. I'm sure Burke wants to make a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 deal. In fact he has publicly stated as much. He want to deal 2 younger players (almost the entire roster is young) for a proven top 6.

Leafs have depth and contractual problems. They need to move some bodies. They don't want to give these guys away. Kadri will be up. Two months in the minors will not hurt him. Tell this to MacLean.

Kadri will never be on the Leafs for an entire season because management and Wilson treat him like a scrub call-up. As well I don't see Kadri on this leafs team in the future since we have MacArthur for 2-3 more years and we all know Grabo and Kulemin are going to be resigned for atleast 3 more years. By the time Kadri even gets a chance on this team he won't be considered a prospect just an ahl vet at around 25 years old.

Kadri, for the sake of his own NHL career should probably get traded Leafs ain't gonna go anywhere soon, Burke screwed up thinking he could find a shortcut to rebuilding.

This team isn't good enough to get in to the playoffs.

Auzzie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Pierre Gotye

I've said this before, but right now Kadri has no place in the lineup.

You can't take him out in favor of moving back Kessel, Lupul(who have been great together) or splitting up the Kulemin/Grabovski/MacA trio, who are starting to get their act together.

You could *maybe* try him as a 3rd liner. But 3rd liners are traditionally supposed to, as Burke says, be your 'Plumbers.'

Kadri is not a plumber, he is a goal scorer. But he's a 'me' goal scorer. This has plagued him since his Junior days that he tries to do too much with the puck rather than properly utilize and find his teammates.That means he's supposed to be a top 6 player.

That's why Frattin and Crabb have been on the team before Kadri.

Kadri's opportunity to solidify himself was last season. He had a very good shot at just earning a roster spot, and he did nothing. Steeger worked his way onto the 3rd line, and Kadri got several looks with Kessel, even with Grabovski, and also again on the bottom 6, and he didn't do enough to warrant being kept around.

In training camp he also didn't seem to find his Mick Jagger either. At least not enough.

I feared last season, that Kadri was going to be a bust. So far with his AHL performances(which he doesn't seem to be taking too seriously at the moment)he seems like he's lost his edge an motivation.

Bobby Ryan took 4 seasons to get his minor-pro game going before he hit the show. Kadri is entering his 3rd season as a pro, but from the looks of it, his development has plateau'd.

I think he could be a top 6 player someday, just not with the Leafs. I think he's trade bait.

Jiri Tlusty, v2.0. A prospect with hope, who seems destined to be a bust,

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:49 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahsen Mian View Post
Kadri will never be on the Leafs for an entire season because management and Wilson treat him like a scrub call-up. As well I don't see Kadri on this leafs team in the future since we have MacArthur for 2-3 more years and we all know Grabo and Kulemin are going to be resigned for atleast 3 more years. By the time Kadri even gets a chance on this team he won't be considered a prospect just an ahl vet at around 25 years old.

Kadri, for the sake of his own NHL career should probably get traded Leafs ain't gonna go anywhere soon, Burke screwed up thinking he could find a shortcut to rebuilding.

This team isn't good enough to get in to the playoffs
The reality is no one here can say with complete certainty whether there is or is not an issue with Kadri and how he is percieved by Leaf management. Stating otherwise is a reach. Kadri has NHL potential IMO, but Burke has also pressed the importance of plying your trade in the minors before making the jump. Almost what is happening here...

Team is not good enought to make the playoffs? What is there record today? Or is it because they crapped the bed the last two games the season is a write off? Only in Toronto, are some fans this fairweather. I can't imagine the ammount of revenue that could be made in prescriptions for bi-polar disorders among the many Leaf fans.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:53 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsDiary View Post
I have heard a couple things from someone close to the Leafs:
1) Kadri's attitude at the start of the season irked some of the veterans in the room
2) His attitude last year in the AHL was not very good
3) When he gave the finger to the camera during McCarthur's interview it disappointed management because they don't think he has matured yet.

Take that for what you will, but I don't think Kadri has necessarily earned a spot on the club yet. Not the club keeping him out.
I believe this to be true. Also I think that it is in the leafs' best interest to keep him in the AHL and not showcase him in the NHL. In the NHL it's obvious he doesn't bring a big game. As a Marlie his situation can be masked as "development", in hopes to get more value for him in a trade situation.

Last edited by ForSpareParts*: 11-09-2011 at 03:25 PM.
ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:01 PM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
I believe this to be true. Also I think that it is in the leafs' best interest to keep in the AHL and not showcase him in the NHL. In the NHL it's obvious he doesn't being a big game. As a Marlie his situation can be masked as "development", in hopes to get more value for him in a trade situation.
He was one of our best forwards through the pre-season and his short stint this year. I highly doubt they are concerned about "masking" such 'deficiencies' if this were the case.