Canada and the 2014 World Cup

Old
11-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Sirquacksalot
¡Viva Los Patos!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie View Post
That being said, with the MLS acadamies starting to churn out more and more players over the next few years, the MNT should improve as long as the players don't jump ship to other countries of course.
This, it applies to the U.S. as well. Raise the profile of the game in North America and both National Teams will benefit.

Also, no traitors.

Sirquacksalot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie View Post
Someone is a little sensitive.
Well I took my chance to bash Canada into the ground, since Canadians so often do the same with hockey.

Last edited by Jonimaus: 11-09-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Jonimaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 05:19 AM
MS

Their chances are way better than some here are claiming. They've received a brilliant draw and while they aren't 'likely' or anything like that, there's actually a decent shot if they play well.

They have to finish 2nd in a group with Honduras, Cuba, and Panama. That won't be easy but it's definitely possible - Cuba and Panama are no better than Canada, and Honduras are beatable as well.

If they get past that point, they have to finish top-4 in a final 6-team pool to qualify. Again, this is possible - they'd have to finish ahead of 2 of Jamaica, Costa Rica, or Honduras - teams that are slightly better than we are but who we do beat on occasion.

4th place team has to play New Zealand to qualify so that should be a win no matter which CONCACAF team it is - essentially 4 North American teams should qualify this time around instead of the usual 3.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

I'm pullin for them! I love some of their players, especially DeRo.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:35 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
I don't think you should be, none of those teams would ever qualify playing in the european qualification. Instead you should be happy taking spots from better teams.
You do realise the USA and Mexico knocked out Slovenia and France at the last World Cup, two teams that did obviously make it through European qualifiers?

And historically it's not just those two teams: surely you remember Costa Rica knocking out both Scotland and Sweden in 1990.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
4th place team has to play New Zealand to qualify so that should be a win no matter which CONCACAF team it is -
That should be a win? Based on what?

For the record, New Zealand has not lost a World Cup game since 1982

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

with the teams Klinsi is selecting, I would not be stunned if Canda were better than us in qualifying

not that they'd finish higher than us because we can still out talent Canada and Jamaica to get to the New Zealand playoff, but still.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:43 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Their chances are way better than some here are claiming. They've received a brilliant draw and while they aren't 'likely' or anything like that, there's actually a decent shot if they play well.

They have to finish 2nd in a group with Honduras, Cuba, and Panama. That won't be easy but it's definitely possible - Cuba and Panama are no better than Canada, and Honduras are beatable as well.

If they get past that point, they have to finish top-4 in a final 6-team pool to qualify. Again, this is possible - they'd have to finish ahead of 2 of Jamaica, Costa Rica, or Honduras - teams that are slightly better than we are but who we do beat on occasion.

4th place team has to play New Zealand to qualify so that should be a win no matter which CONCACAF team it is - essentially 4 North American teams should qualify this time around instead of the usual 3.
Don't underrate Panama.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
You do realise the USA and Mexico knocked out Slovenia and France at the last World Cup, two teams that did obviously make it through European qualifiers?

And historically it's not just those two teams: surely you remember Costa Rica knocking out both Scotland and Sweden in 1990.
Sure, and 2 years ago the champions league finalists were Inter and Bayern München. And some years ago Senegal kicked out Sweden in a game where Sweden dominated. The best teams don't always advance.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Muuri

Quote:
Sure, and 2 years ago the champions league finalists were Inter and Bayern München. And some years ago Senegal kicked out Sweden in a game where Sweden dominated. The best teams don't always advance.
Inter was tactically the best team that year.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Inter was tactically the best team that year.
I disagree. It was probably the worst 2 finalists ever in a champions league final. But any team can advance if the opposing team has a bad day. That year, as most years, Barca was still the best team in the world.

Old
11-11-2011, 05:16 PM
jekoh

Quote:
The best teams don't always advance.
Which only makes your original claim even more stupid.

Old
11-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Tuggy

Sportsnet.ca is streaming the game tonight. Starts in about 30 minutes.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 05:52 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Don't you get it, if the Euro team wins, the best team won. If the Euro team loses, then the best team lost.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Ok. If you want to believe Canada deserves to be in the world cup, you keep believing that. I would hate to burst your bubble of hope.

Other than the fact that US playes terrible and extremely defensive football, I don't mind that they take one spot, they are probably the "best" team from that region anyways.

Quote:
Don't you get it, if the Euro team wins, the best team won. If the Euro team loses, then the best team lost.
FIFA ranking has 13 European teams in top 15. Sure, it's not the best ranking, but still.

Old
11-11-2011, 06:13 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Ok. If you want to believe Canada deserves to be in the world cup, you keep believing that. I would hate to burst your bubble of hope.

Other than the fact that US playes terrible and extremely defensive football, I don't mind that they take one spot, they are probably the "best" team from that region anyways.

FIFA ranking has 13 European teams in top 15. Sure, it's not the best ranking, but still.
Nobody is denying there is absolute quality in Europe. That said, its like the SEC imo...they have 3-4 really good teams (maybe best in the country/world) but because of that, average teams get overrated year after year...for instance, Denmakr/Croatia/Sweden/Swiss are way to high...Greece the 8th best country in the world????

(also only 12 of 15)

Old
11-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Nobody is denying there is absolute quality in Europe. That said, its like the SEC imo...they have 3-4 really good teams (maybe best in the country/world) but because of that, average teams get overrated year after year...for instance, Denmakr/Croatia/Sweden/Swiss are way to high...Greece the 8th best country in the world????

(also only 12 of 15)
Yeah 12. Greece is WAY too high, agreed. But so is Argentina, they have some amazing players, but like England, they are not performing in the national team. Denmark and Sweden might be a tad too high, but they are without a doubt top 20 teams, and looking at the list, I'm not so sure who I'd put higher to put them down. (If you got an opinion here, I'm interested in hearing it).

Top 3 is Spain, Netherlands and Germany, in whatever order you want. They are top 3, and it's not up for discussion.

Old
11-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
It's harsh on New Zealand to say that Canada would beat them easily. It's harsh on Canada to outright dismiss them potentially winning such a tie. That said I don't think they'll get there. Finishing 4th in the hex is not easy, especially when Canada is at a similar level or worse than the teams who will be in the hex.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 06:27 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Yeah 12. Greece is WAY too high, agreed. But so is Argentina, they have some amazing players, but like England, they are not performing in the national team. Denmark and Sweden might be a tad too high, but they are without a doubt top 20 teams, and looking at the list, I'm not so sure who I'd put higher to put them down. (If you got an opinion here, I'm interested in hearing it).

Top 3 is Spain, Netherlands and Germany, in whatever order you want. They are top 3, and it's not up for discussion.
I'd say Japan/Chile/Mexico all deserve to be around 10-15....while the 3 Euro's I listed should be around 20ish...I also think Paraguy/Egypt/Ghana/Korea could be a little higher (20-30).

Old
11-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I'd say Japan/Chile/Mexico all deserve to be around 10-15....while the 3 Euro's I listed should be around 20ish...I also think Paraguy/Egypt/Ghana/Korea could be a little higher (20-30).
Only 2 countries I agree with here are South Korea and Japan, possibly Paraguay. The others are not better than the countries already there.

Chile and Mexico are just not very good.

Old
11-11-2011, 07:45 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Chile and Mexico are just not very good.
Mexico has a lineup full of young, talented players. They will not be a pleasant team to face in Brazil.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:00 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Canada has officially advanced to the third round btw

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Chile and Mexico are pretty good, depending on the day. Both are very up and down, can beat anyone if they play their game.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Rankings are also impacted significantly on who you play as well

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:26 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Didn't see this before. You do realize New Zealand played Italy, Slovakia and Paraguay in the World Cup and didn't lose?

Meanwhile Canada just drew with St. Kitts and Nevis. Yet, we're underestimating their chances.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:19 AM
jekoh

Quote:
I did not mention Canada, nor do I "hope" anything regarding that country.