HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

X60 Intermediate butt end/stick extension?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2011, 03:34 PM
  #1
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
X60 Intermediate butt end/stick extension?

Son has a perfectly good and loved x60 Limited Edition intermediate hockey stick but it is a couple inches too short. I have searched the net and hockey stores and I am having no luck in finding a butt end/stick extension for this stick (or any intermediate for that matter)

Any help?

Thanks

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:37 PM
  #2
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
I use an X60 intermediate and I just sanded down a regular senior wood end plug. Just get a rasp file and sand it down, then use some 200-300 grit sandpaper to smooth it. I also like to round the handle a little bit up top. If you've got power tools, it goes even quicker.

It makes it even lighter feeling and seems to add a kick to the shots in my mind. I'm going to make one for my other stick which is already cut down to length.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
  #3
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker
 
superhakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I use an X60 intermediate and I just sanded down a regular senior wood end plug. Just get a rasp file and sand it down, then use some 200-300 grit sandpaper to smooth it. I also like to round the handle a little bit up top. If you've got power tools, it goes even quicker.

It makes it even lighter feeling and seems to add a kick to the shots in my mind. I'm going to make one for my other stick which is already cut down to length.
Are you Marty St. Louis????

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:03 PM
  #4
hyster110
Registered User
 
hyster110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
or just get a wooden one?

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:33 PM
  #5
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
I wish! I'm only 5'8 and I was testing an Oggie grip that you have to cut your stick down 5" to install. I put it on another stick and put a wood plug in the X60 and I liked the shot/feel/balance even better. It feels like a catapult now.

For reference I cut 4" off an intermediate stick normally because I like them under my mouth in bare feet. So I would probably cut off another 3" and install the wood plug. Lots of NHL'ers do that by the way.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:47 PM
  #6
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker
 
superhakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I wish! I'm only 5'8 and I was testing an Oggie grip that you have to cut your stick down 5" to install. I put it on another stick and put a wood plug in the X60 and I liked the shot/feel/balance even better. It feels like a catapult now.

For reference I cut 4" off an intermediate stick normally because I like them under my mouth in bare feet. So I would probably cut off another 3" and install the wood plug. Lots of NHL'ers do that by the way.
Hmm interesting. The only reason i brought that up is I know Marty did that. I have an Intermediate Reebok Ai5 I should consider trying that with.....

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:15 PM
  #7
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
Yeah it just seems to make it nice and heavy on the top hand and not the blade and seems to make it whip more and respond quicker. Kind of like a lever.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:14 AM
  #8
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 500
Oggie made a plug/grip and their site shows that they had them for int. sticks. Not sure if it helps you.
http://www.oggiegrip.com/ergo-hockey-grip.php

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:33 AM
  #9
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Thanks for the replies. I ended up finding a sporting goods store that had a big assortment of wood butt ends for different sticks (all labeled Sr. or Jr. and all were a little different from one another) Found a Jr. that appeared to fit best. When I got home I sanded a few areas and fits perfect.

It just seems really strange that Jr and Sr butt ends are easy to find but intermediate one's are not around. Oh well

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 07:27 AM
  #10
hyster110
Registered User
 
hyster110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UvBnDatsyuked View Post
Thanks for the replies. I ended up finding a sporting goods store that had a big assortment of wood butt ends for different sticks (all labeled Sr. or Jr. and all were a little different from one another) Found a Jr. that appeared to fit best. When I got home I sanded a few areas and fits perfect.

It just seems really strange that Jr and Sr butt ends are easy to find but intermediate one's are not around. Oh well
most jr's will fit intermediate sticks anyways

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:00 AM
  #11
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
I spent about 45 minutes shaving a senior down last night. I found that the intermediate wood plugs are too wide in one direction and too short in another. For some reason I like working on the plug, sanding and shaving by hand, makes me feel like it's more personal!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:34 PM
  #12
hyster110
Registered User
 
hyster110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
i would rather use a plug then one of those oogie grips, those just look really awkward. if your finding a butt-end is loose put a strip of tape on it before you put it. that makes it really tight

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:46 PM
  #13
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
I go back and forth on the Oggie grips and was given the opportunity to review a couple custom made ones. The custom grips are really a great idea, but I just prefer the straight end plugs. If I had NHL money I'd probably get a bunch just because you never have to worry about your tape job or anything, just cut the stick and put the plug in. And the custom flex is a nice idea too, depending on the flex of the stick you're using. It just so happens I use intermediate sticks which are too whippy, so I have been putting wood plugs in sticks to stiffen them up and improve the balance, and I like that feel anyway, and they're $5 instead of $20+.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:49 PM
  #14
hyster110
Registered User
 
hyster110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I go back and forth on the Oggie grips and was given the opportunity to review a couple custom made ones. The custom grips are really a great idea, but I just prefer the straight end plugs. If I had NHL money I'd probably get a bunch just because you never have to worry about your tape job or anything, just cut the stick and put the plug in. And the custom flex is a nice idea too, depending on the flex of the stick you're using. It just so happens I use intermediate sticks which are too whippy, so I have been putting wood plugs in sticks to stiffen them up and improve the balance, and I like that feel anyway, and they're $5 instead of $20+.
have you been putting them in the original shaft or have you been making the sticks longer, cause putting pugs in lessens the flex on composite sticks

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:01 PM
  #15
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
i would rather use a plug then one of those oogie grips, those just look really awkward.
I think if it was a straight grip I would give it a try.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:34 PM
  #16
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
have you been putting them in the original shaft or have you been making the sticks longer, cause putting pugs in lessens the flex on composite sticks
Chop the stick down and put the plug in.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:36 PM
  #17
hyster110
Registered User
 
hyster110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Chop the stick down and put the plug in.
hmm i have never heard of someone doing that, you would think it would make them whippier by adding a flex point

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.