HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When Andrei Markov is back in the line-up...

Old
11-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Montreal4Life*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
He hasn't been cleared for any contact just skating with the team when he gets cleared to be hit let me know. I still say 10 games max before he goes down to injury again.
Bookmarked for his 11th game

Montreal4Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Honestly ? I expect him to get hurt again within the first 5 games he plays.

No, I'm not hating. No, I'm not all about pessimism. No, I don't wish for him to get hurt.

I just have a feeling that's what is going to happen. I hope he proves me wrong, though

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Habs13

I don't think Markov will make a positive impact when he comes back, at least not at first. Too much rust. He's hardly played in two years...

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:51 PM
holyhabs

Two major concerns for me: can he stay healthy? once he comes back will he be The General?

He played some of his worst hockey when he came back the first time. Now for someone as elite as him its still good but he made more glaring defensive mistakes than normal. So although I am very excited to have him back, like others I still have concerns.

holyhabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:53 PM
BLONG7

General Vodkov will make a huge difference, and no, he's not going to get reinjured...I say he gets 44 pts this year, playing a reduced schedule...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If he were a ball player a rehab stint in the minors would he an order. Even A Rod played in the minors this year and pitchers almost always do. Anyway just throwing that put there. There must be waiver implications to a move like that so it wouldn't never happen. Intersting difference in conventional wisdom between the two sports.

Staying with baseball, this surgery is sort of like Tommy John for a pitcher. There's boatloads of money in it so also lots of top US surgeons specializing in sports and this is their bread and butter. So the surgery is better now... Anyway.

Markov may not make an immediate impact but is a greay pick moving defenceman who should improve our offence. That should show its effects as he rounds into form. If he makes a full recovery, and the medical evidence says that's likely, he is an impact player for us.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:07 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

To be honest I'm not so much worried about Markov's knee as I am about some other type of injury from non action and not being in any kind of game shape.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Jigger77

He'll help there's no doubt. I don't expect him to tear it up right away but the team will start looking better as a whole. Absolutely no doubt in my mind. It's been so long people forget just how good Andrei Markov really is.
If anything he'll get our PP working to at least minimum acceptance. That's really our main problem right now if you ask me. And we'll be able to put Plecky in his old spot on the PP where he belongs.
I also think he stays healthy this time. Guaranteed they played it safe and when he comes back he's ready for war.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I do not expect much of a change and I fully expect him to only last 10 games max before suffering another season ending knee injury.

Hope you are wrong, but unfortunately....Markov looks like an injury waiting to happen!

Next serious injury may be career ending - rather than season ending!

Can the Habs count on Markov to be healthy enough to make an impact - VERY questionable!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Craig71

Markov should not play more than 10-12 minutes per game in his first 10. I don't

have high expectations, he has'nt played much in the last 2 years so anything

he brings for however long will be a bonus. He is a power play general and is dearly

missed, I hope he stays healthy and gives us 60 good games.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:38 PM
odishabs

I would ease Markov in, play him with one of gillsy or gorges to reduce the stress

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Weber

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Markov should not play more than 10-12 minutes per game in his first 10. I don't

have high expectations, he has'nt played much in the last 2 years so anything

he brings for however long will be a bonus. He is a power play general and is dearly

missed, I hope he stays healthy and gives us 60 good games.
I doubt he plays anything less tghan 17-18 minutes. He will not get big minutes right away but no way he only gets 10 minutes a night.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I doubt he plays anything less tghan 17-18 minutes. He will not get big minutes right away but no way he only gets 10 minutes a night.
I just said in his first 10 games, obviously you want a 5.5 million defenseman to

play more thab 10 minutes a night, he needs to be brought along slowly.

Old
11-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I expect our team to be way better. It's almost not even a question. A 50% Markov is better than 90% our roster.

Fixed it for you sir

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:44 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
There's no doubt that he will have to re-adjust but I think just having him in the line-up will be a confidence booster. If he eases into the game with 15 minutes a night at the beginning with powerplay time I think he'll make a real difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
this. it'll improve the overall confidence of our defense and i don't know how vocal andrei is in the dressing room but id imagine it would give everyone a sense of comfort just having him back. I think his on ice play will take a bit of time as he hasn't played in awhile
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I expect our team to be way better. It's almost not even a question. A 50% Markov is better than half our roster.
I beg to differ on some points here, even if I share the enthusiasm. Markov needs to be solid 5 on 5 if he is to be a '' confidence boost '' . Sure he can chip in on the PP and his cross Ice pass on the PP is second to none ... kovalev benefited from it ... and so will cammy.

natey ... I respect your opinion ... but honestly the league evolves so fast I can't say that I see markov being better offensively or defensively than ... he was 2-3 years ago ... and in a meantime... the competition grew among PP QBs and puck moving D . Letang and Karlsson only to name those two are great young players, and I wonder how markov will compare to them. The key is his defence imo ... if he can be as reliable as he was... and chip in on the PP ... he's going to get his notoriety back in no time... but I mean ... there are still a lot of ifs and maybes ... imho....even if he stays healthy.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 11-09-2011 at 11:06 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I just said in his first 10 games, obviously you want a 5.5 million defenseman to

play more thab 10 minutes a night, he needs to be brought along slowly.
I'm not sure on your logic here.

If he isn't good enough yet to play as more than the 6th defenseman, which is what you're adovocating, he should get in more practice time before returning because Montreal already has a bunch of 6th defenders.

If the concern is reinjuring himself, 10 minutes a game isn't much less of a risk than 18-19. And if he's still that fragile then he should be practising in a no-contact jersey, not playing.

I can understand not throwing him in the deepend right away but what you are advocating seems nonsensical to me. If he's only good for 10 minutes in your book he might as well not play.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:58 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 552
I agree we need to bring him in slowly we are much better with a healthy Markov
I really missed Markov though it seems like things moved on

10-15min sounds good
18+ for his first game I really don't like that idea

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
I agree we need to bring him in slowly we are much better with a healthy Markov
I really missed Markov though it seems like things moved on

10-15min sounds good
18+ for his first game I really don't like that idea
Seriously, what's the point of playing him if its only 10-15 minutes?

If he's still at a fragile stage you shouldn't be playing him anyway. If he isn't worthy of playing more than those minutes yet you shouldn't be playing him. If he's passed the fragile stage then a regular shift isn't going to hurt him and if he's better than a bottom pairing defenseman he should be playing regularly. There's no upside to 10-15 minutes for Markov, either he's ready to play at a 2nd pairing level and 2nd pairing minutes or you shouldn't put him in the lineup and let him build up his play more in practice.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:06 AM
donghabs98

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post

If he isn't good enough yet to play as more than the 6th defenseman, which is what you're adovocating, he should get in more practice time before returning because Montreal already has a bunch of 6th defenders.

If the concern is reinjuring himself, 10 minutes a game isn't much less of a risk than 18-19. And if he's still that fragile then he should be practising in a no-contact jersey, not playing.

I can understand not throwing him in the deepend right away but what you are advocating seems nonsensical to me. If he's only good for 10 minutes in your book he might as well not play.
You make a pretty good point
Why play even play him

10min is pretty useless thinking about it
I guess I was thinking of more 15-18min then 10-15min

My point though is to slowly being him in
Practice and games are pretty different

I guess see how he does starting off and go from there
But I say he should not be the leading d-mam in minutes that night

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post

18-19 minutes per game sounds great.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:14 PM
GordonGraham

Players go on strike, they miss 2-3 weeks of training camp and they need months to make it up, he missed 2 years , he will almost be like a retired player coming back after 2 year lay off, im not expecting much from him this season

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:48 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Players go on strike, they miss 2-3 weeks of training camp and they need months to make it up, he missed 2 years , he will almost be like a retired player coming back after 2 year lay off, im not expecting much from him this season
Wait for it wait for it here it comes you will see. The Markov is god posters will be here soon to tell you how he is such an elite athlete that he won't miss a beat yada yada. I agree not to mention his knee will NEVER EVER be the same.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:53 PM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty Dumpty View Post

Staying with baseball, this surgery is sort of like Tommy John for a pitcher. There's boatloads of money in it so also lots of top US surgeons specializing in sports and this is their bread and butter. So the surgery is better now... Anyway.
His surgery is nothing like tommy john surgery..when pitchers come back from that surgery, their arm/shoulder is actually stronger than before. markov's knees will never be as good as it was before any of the surgeries.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
He can't be worse than Diaz, Weber, Emelin or Gill can he?
I'd take a one legged Markov over any one of those guys.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
His surgery is nothing like tommy john surgery..when pitchers come back from that surgery, their arm/shoulder is actually stronger than before. markov's knees will never be as good as it was before any of the surgeries.
That's not true, I heard a doctor talking about ACL reconstructions and he said if the attchments heal properly that the knee is actually stronger, because you replace an old ligament with a "new" one without the wear and tear a hockey player would have, similar to a pitcher and Tommy John surgery.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote