HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Predators Talk Part II

View Poll Results: Random question: Which of these jerseys do you like?
Preds normal home jersey 25 52.08%
Preds normal away jersey 23 47.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Are you saying Nashville fans were saying we couldn't keep both? Or just the general public? Because Preds fans have always been told and thus maintained that there is money and desire to keep both. Recent quotes from ownership not onl reaffirm that, but also commit to getting the offensive talent up to par as well.

For the sheer sake of your question, I'd keep Weber if I had to pick, bt in reality I don't believe we'll have to.
From the posts I saw on your board recently while looking to see if this subject had been discussed much before posting this thread. Obviously a small sample size but that was the impression I got.

Of course management is saying they want to and think they can sign all of your top three, but actually coming to an agreement on a price and term, as well as the players desire to stay and belief in ownership, and belief in managements willingness to put together a winning lineup is another thing. Lots of factors to consider.

Not in any way trying to say I have a crystal ball and that the Preds will have to lose one of them, although I have a feeling as an outsider they may lose Suter. Different situation and it was before the cap era, but it kind of reminds me of the Avs year where they had to resign their big three UFA's of Roy, Blake, and Sakic.

Old
11-09-2011, 05:55 PM
wadesworld

I voted Suter. I'm a big Shea Weber fan, but I have to admit he gets some additional pub because of his shot. However, while is shot is big, it really doesn't score that often so I don't think it's a major advantage. Suter is awesome in every phase of his game and is even scoring more now that he's shooting more.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:04 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Coach Trotz: "I've been told by our ownership that we'll be close to a cap team next season."
Do we have the revenue to justify this?

Old
11-10-2011, 01:06 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Now you sound just like the Canadian media. The answer is... the owners say yes.

Old
11-10-2011, 01:45 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Have you SEEN the arena lately?

1. it's got more people in it for games
2. there's sponsorships everywhere.

Now, before we start foaming at the mouth regarding a signing, we have free agents and RFAs coming up to tend to. So it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Old
11-10-2011, 02:28 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Now you sound just like the Canadian media. The answer is... the owners say yes.
I understand that. I guess the memories of sumer 2007 are still fresh. I just don't want the team to start operating in the red, because we know where that almost got us. I've never been against spending, I just want to make sure we're spending right.

Saying we're going to be near the cap is significant, especially considering that the cap floor is now higher than the cap ceiling when the current system went into place.

Old
11-10-2011, 06:16 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Nashville is now 13th in scoring in the NHL despite playing twice as many road games as home games.

Old
11-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
I understand that. I guess the memories of sumer 2007 are still fresh. I just don't want the team to start operating in the red, because we know where that almost got us. I've never been against spending, I just want to make sure we're spending right.

Saying we're going to be near the cap is significant, especially considering that the cap floor is now higher than the cap ceiling when the current system went into place.
And we don't want to turn into Greece, spending money we don't have.

Old
11-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Slow and steady wins the race. Let's spend, but only what we can afford, and slowly grow that amount.

Old
11-10-2011, 08:47 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Nope
Not just with fans attendance at hockey......the difference in revenue has to come from corporate sponsorship and other corporate revenue (and other Bridgestone revenue)

Old
11-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post

Now, before we start foaming at the mouth regarding a signing, we have free agents and RFAs coming up to tend to. So it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.
Exactly. Guys like Blum and Wilson are due for some new $$$$

Old
11-10-2011, 09:06 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Exactly. Guys like Blum and Wilson are due for some new $$$$
Neither have particularly done enough to justify huge raises though. Blum in particular has taken a step back, Wilson is having a decent season but shouldn't get a bigger raise than someone like say, Hornqvist or Kostitsyn.

Old
11-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Neither have particularly done enough to justify huge raises though. Blum in particular has taken a step back, Wilson is having a decent season but shouldn't get a bigger raise than someone like say, Hornqvist or Kostitsyn.
They are due more than ELCs though. And yes, Hornqvist and Kostitsyn need a raise. Then there's the whole Lindback thing, or signing a free agent to replace him (unless we trust Smith or Engren that much.) Not to mention Radulov if he comes back at the trade deadline this year, as rumor states.

Old
11-10-2011, 09:53 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Then there's the whole Lindback thing, or signing a free agent to replace him (unless we trust Smith or Engren that much.)
I would truse most any goalie we have in the system could have equaled Lindy's production this year. But that's more because our backup rarely plays.

All goalie prospects are now more tradable assets.

Old
11-10-2011, 10:05 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I can see him getting traded to Tampa or the Islanders or another team in need of a good goalie this offseason.

Old
11-10-2011, 11:30 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
And we don't want to turn into Greece, spending money we don't have.
That's the American Way. Ever heard of credit cards, home mortgages, or car loans. We are a society based on credit. Folks that pay cash for cars and homes are just plain weird these days.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:04 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
That's the American Way. Ever heard of credit cards, home mortgages, or car loans. We are a society based on credit. Folks that pay cash for cars and homes are just plain weird these days.
Hey! I'm responsible

Old
11-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:

Exactly, but this kind of quote makes me think we will be able to resign weber and suter as well as our RFA's and maybe have room for another top six forward in the budget (even if it is rads)

Old
11-10-2011, 03:24 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
They are due more than ELCs though. And yes, Hornqvist and Kostitsyn need a raise. Then there's the whole Lindback thing, or signing a free agent to replace him (unless we trust Smith or Engren that much.) Not to mention Radulov if he comes back at the trade deadline this year, as rumor states.
Hornqvist is still under contract for next year, and his salary goes up by 83k I think. SK will need a raise, but I don't suspect he will see anything north of $3m over the course of maybe two or three years. Depending on what he does this season and how the cap raises he might get $3.5m. Hornqvist got his contract after a 30 goal season. If the cap raises a fair amount between now and when he signs his contract/extension he will get a raise, but it shouldn't be dramatic unless his performance over the next two seasons is dramatically better than his 30 goal campaign. Weber will likely stay the same, but I could see it reducing over a long period of time. A 7m/7yr contract like Rinne. Suter will probably require a similar deal if we want to keep him.

Assuming the cap goes up by $3.2m to make it an even $67.5m we could run with this (note: positions and lines aren't necessarily correct... I just threw it together for the money):

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Patric Hornqvist ($3.083m) / Craig Smith ($0.715m) / Colin Wilson ($3.000m)
Martin Erat ($4.500m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Blake Geoffrion ($1.062m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Matt Halischuk ($0.712m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.250m) / Nick Spaling ($1.050m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Klein ($1.350m) / Shea Weber ($7.000m)
Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Jonathon Blum ($1.350m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.250m) / Jack Hillen ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($7.000m) / Anders Lindback ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: J.P. Dumont ($1.333m) / Brett Lebda ($0.466m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $67,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,723,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $10,776,667

So after we sign our RFAs and UFAs (notice Suter and Weber both make the same $7m Rinne makes), if the owners really want to be serious about spending to or close to the cap we have over $10m to shop around with. That's after giving Wilson $3m (which I think would be something he would take over a two or three year period, unless he just explodes this year), SK $3.25m (again, fair I think), Blum gets his raise to $1.25m, Geoffrion gets $1.062m, Tootoo and Bouillon stay the same, Hillen gets a slight raise to $850k, Lindback gets a raise to $1m (but we could afford to give him more), and everyone else is the same as this year.

If the owners are really serious about getting close to the cap then that money can buy an extremely good player and STILL have some cushion left over.

Quote:
Someone listens to Dave Ramsey

Old
11-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Firestorm

Newsflash: Blum is a -9, the worst by far of the team.

Old
11-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Newsflash: Blum is a -9, the worst by far of the team.
Craptastic statistic

Old
11-11-2011, 01:21 PM
lstcyr

Guess Spaling's injury is a groin injury: http://www.wellingtonadvertiser.com/...il&itmno=10352

"On Oct. 29 Spaling, who had registered 3 points in 10 games playing primarily on the Predators second line, was placed on the injured reserve with a “lower body injury” (his mother Lorrie said the groin injury wasn’t serious and her son hoped to return this week)." (Bolding added by me.)

Old
11-11-2011, 01:37 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

It's odd to see positive threads about Nashville on the main boards after years of being spit on, but there it is. A positive thread on the main boards about Nashville. More specifically, about Nashville playing its 1,000th game with the same coach and GM. (It's titled something like One of the most impressive... I don't remember the entire title. There have been a couple of negative comments that will be looked at, so please refrain from responding to them. Just report them.)

Old
11-11-2011, 02:24 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
What's the new trend with calling family members?

Old
11-11-2011, 02:27 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
What's the new trend with calling family members?
I wondered that as well, is Trotz going to have to publicly ban it the way Ron Wilson did?

Closed Thread