HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 14 @ Ottawa Senators

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Artem Anisimov 123 73.65%
Brian Boyle 0 0%
Ryan Callahan 0 0%
Michael Del Zotto 6 3.59%
Brandon Dubinsky 1 0.60%
Ruslan Fedotenko 1 0.60%
Marian Gaborik 154 92.22%
Dan Girardi 4 2.40%
Henrik Lundqvist 27 16.17%
Ryan McDonagh 0 0%
Brandon Prust 0 0%
Brad Richards 0 0%
Michael Sauer 2 1.20%
Derek Stepan 152 91.02%
Other 1 0.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-09-2011, 11:10 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

vCash: 500
The Rangers have the 2nd best record in the East, and are currently in 4th -- more points than Washington, same as Toronto, but less games played. Pittsburgh is the only team with more points right now.

EDIT: They're also 4th overall in the NHL.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard

Last edited by JeffMangum: 11-09-2011 at 11:18 PM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1500
Gaborik and Stepan are tied for player of the game, IMO. If I can only choose one, then Stepan. Overall, we didn't play a great game, but definitely good enough to beat Ottawa. Dubinsky needs to wake up and a big LOL to Callahan for missing that empty net.

11-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
The fact that Anisimov is so polished defensively at age 23 is amazing. It's why he's such an intriguing player.
If he used his size and skill more, he would be an excellent player. He just gets knocked down so often and he doesn't score that much.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:15 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
They haven't turned the puck over like that much all year. That's the most let-go I've ever seen Karlsson, it's like MacLean told him to lead the rush and mix it up offensively on every shift...

But no, it's not usually like that with the turnovers.
i thought da costa was great tonight, him and michalek were the most dangerous players on the ice for ottawa.

i continue to wish we had da costa...i think he'd be great playing with gabby and richards and his point totals would be higher. im not trying to knock foligno or ottawa in general but they arent of the talent that is BR and gabby. Even Alfie at his age now is not the same player he once was. Stepan, playing the way he is right now, as well as anisimov would be much better than who da costa plays with

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:19 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
The Rangers have the 2nd best record in the East, and are currently in 4th -- more points than Washington, same as Toronto, but less games played. Pittsburgh is the only team with more points right now.

EDIT: They're also 4th overall in the NHL.
I love checking the standings and seeing us that high up no matter what time of the year it is. Also good to see that we don't have three or four more games played than everyone else like we usually do. Nice to have games in hand on some teams and we should gain even more with the light schedule coming up.

11-09-2011, 11:23 PM
2Leetch_94

The AMD line strikes again. What? Not as popular as GAS? Oh well. I have an Intel processor anyways.

2Leetch_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Leetch_94 View Post
The AMD line strikes again. What? Not as popular as GAS? Oh well. I have an Intel processor anyways.
What does AMD stand for (the line, not the computer processor)?

Old
11-09-2011, 11:29 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
What does AMD stand for (the line, not the computer processor)?
Artem/Marian/Derek

Old
11-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator

Quote:
Artem/Marian/Derek
Wow . Honestly I kept thinking of what it could possibly be, but somehow I couldn't get it. Way to make myself look stupid.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
Should be another clear cut 3 stars

I still don't know how we're 8-3-3, but I love it!
How do you not know? This is a very, very talented team that just needed time to gel. I mean, I expected this type of season. A very good one. The start was not unexpected, and I didn't think that there would be gelling this fast, but I don't understand how people did not expect to have a very good team.

Look at the team up and down. There are very, very good players on this team and there is a lot of talent.

Just because so many people stupidly jumped off the bandwagon after the first two weeks does not mean that we should somehow expect less from this team.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:34 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
How do you not know? This is a very, very talented team that just needed time to gel. I mean, I expected this type of season. A very good one. The start was not unexpected, and I didn't think that there would be gelling this fast, but I don't understand how people did not expect to have a very good team.

Look at the team up and down. There are very, very good players on this team and there is a lot of talent.

Just because so many people stupidly jumped off the bandwagon after the first two weeks does not mean that we should somehow expect less from this team.
Yeah, this is what I've been expecting from the team all along; bad start aside, this is a pretty damn deep, diverse roster with a lot of chemistry. Add Staal into the mix and...this is a potential division winner.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
i thought da costa was great tonight, him and michalek were the most dangerous players on the ice for ottawa.

i continue to wish we had da costa...i think he'd be great playing with gabby and richards and his point totals would be higher. im not trying to knock foligno or ottawa in general but they arent of the talent that is BR and gabby. Even Alfie at his age now is not the same player he once was. Stepan, playing the way he is right now, as well as anisimov would be much better than who da costa plays with
Like I said this morning, Da Costa's got some really high end abilities. He thinks the game faster then others and he controls the puck very very well in tight spaces. You can corner him with two guys in the corner and he manages to find his teammates tape in open space. Gotta get stronger and keep playing. And get better linemates.

Alfie can still play a pretty high level. It surprised me when I saw he had 71 points in 70 games just two years ago. He was hurt a lot of last year, had surgery and looked like he had jump again this year. He showed amazing chemistry with Da Costa earlier in the year.

Probably Da Costa's best 60 mins tonight.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Yeah, this is what I've been expecting from the team all along; bad start aside, this is a pretty damn deep, diverse roster with a lot of chemistry. Add Staal into the mix and...this is a potential division winner.
The problem is, Staal is not in the mix. We will fight for the division, but I don't see us winning it without him. Our top 4 are going to be exhausted come mid-season if he is not back. They will be completely shot.

We either need to make a move for a d-man or Staal needs to come back. Two options.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

Agreed, it just looked for a while there that we'd have a lot more trouble getting pinned in our own zone without staalsie. As good as Gaborik, Stepan, Lundqvist have been, really ALL of our d-men have stepped up and played above their pay grade so far. We all agree that Girardi has played like a veteran all star, McDonagh and Sauer are rock solid and provide such a calming influence, and McD has turned his offensive game up. Del Zotto has been excellent, and he's on the verge of really getting hot, offensively. Even Woywitka and Eminger have minimized their mistakes and played smart, simple positional defense.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Agreed, it just looked for a while there that we'd have a lot more trouble getting pinned in our own zone without staalsie. As good as Gaborik, Stepan, Lundqvist have been, really ALL of our d-men have stepped up and played above their pay grade so far. Even Woywitka and Eminger have minimized their mistakes and played smart, simple positional defense.
Well, they are barely allowed to sniff the ice. I expect very few mistakes in seriously limited ice time.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:41 PM
iliketherangersalot2

Hey guys. I'm not sure where to post this, but I just got my first NHL a few weeks ago. It was 3/02/02, and it was my first and only rangers game cause I moved not long after, and I was really young. Eric Lindros and Simon gagne both scored hat tricks and the blue shirts won 6-5! anyone else there?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwHNmq_OfP0&

iliketherangersalot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:52 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

this. too many people as usual, hit the panic button. richards was saying they needed more time when they were finishing up overseas. seems as though he was right and had an idea if what he was talking about. maybe some fans need to have a little more faith

Old
11-09-2011, 11:56 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Like I said this morning, Da Costa's got some really high end abilities. He thinks the game faster then others and he controls the puck very very well in tight spaces. You can corner him with two guys in the corner and he manages to find his teammates tape in open space. Gotta get stronger and keep playing. And get better linemates.

Alfie can still play a pretty high level. It surprised me when I saw he had 71 points in 70 games just two years ago. He was hurt a lot of last year, had surgery and looked like he had jump again this year. He showed amazing chemistry with Da Costa earlier in the year.

Probably Da Costa's best 60 mins tonight.
you definitely see all those attributes and ability in stephane's game. he was very smooth out there when the puck was on his stick especially finding his teammates.

i think it remains to be seen with alfie. he has had to battle some injuries and he isnt getting any younger. he is still a very gifted player.

definitely dacosta's best game this year i have watched some of his other games and also compared to the games he had in college which were much like tonight

Old
11-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:

This, pretty much.

I have avoided our GDT after our suicide watch/begining of the season, and it has paid off.

My vote for 3 stars should be obvious.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:14 AM
PanMan

I agree that it is surprising we are this high in the standings after such a rocky start. But the reason is because even though we were terrible early on, we still found a way to get points somehow, even though most of the time we really didn't deserve them. We basically didn't lose ground. Now that we are better and getting wins, we are starting to separate ourselves from the pack. That being said, the standings are still pretty tight and we can find ourselves out of the top 8 quick if we lose a couple, but still...

We still have our best hockey ahead of us. I just hope the defence can keep it up!

PanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:14 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Stepan line are POTG.

That line was downright dominating at times and were the best players on the ice.
I missed the game but its nice to see atleast we have one line that is going. I think all three have them have been the best forwards so far this season and as a result have ended playing together and luckily they have some good chemistry. I love the passes Steps is giving Gaborik, its nice to see Steps making those plays. I hope Steps can keep stepping it up because god knows we need him to continue if we are to compete with the top east teams Philly, Pit, Bos etc who have two quality top centers. Me labelling this team bad is more of a result of not really being pleased so far with Richie, partly setting me expectations a little high. But hopefully he can improve and start to set up Dubi and cally more often, but he has to play with a little more ergency and passion.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:18 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
First i was that Avery would be a better 4th line player than Rupp, so he should be here.

Now, he's all of a sudden supposed to be playing top minutes? What has he shown to justify that, exactly?

Pretty clear cut here.
Gaborik
Stepan
Anisimov (Who now has 10 points and a +6 in 14 games)

I'd still Bozak over him by a country mile.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

anybody know what our longest winning streak was last year? i can't remember us stringing more than 2 together. (im sure we did but it seems like we never went on a long win streak last year). and here we are with a 5 game winning streak this early in the season

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:32 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
anybody know what our longest winning streak was last year? i can't remember us stringing more than 2 together. (im sure we did but it seems like we never went on a long win streak last year). and here we are with a 5 game winning streak this early in the season

We had a 5 game winning streak towards the end of the season (March).

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

believe it or not... i don't think we had a streak longer than 3 last year... even if I'm wrong, it's at most 4. We were so consistent last year with winning and losing I think the longest win streak was 3 and longest losing streak was 4. Now I just read the post above. ^^^ fine, 5 game win streak but aside from that, we had a string of 3s

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote