HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Superstar forward for the habs

Old
11-10-2011, 06:29 AM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Cammy isn't even the best player on the habs.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:08 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
Driving to my sister's place, I was listening to 98.5 with Ron Fournier, Michel Villeneuve and Mario Tremblay. It was an 'ok' discussion, but what truly hit me was when they spoke about Montreal's 30 goal scorers in the past seasons.

Looking at our team's stats, since 1996, we've had a ****ing pathetic 6 times that a player reached 30 goals scored... 6??? And nevermind that number, they've all barely reached 30 goals, even Kovalev who had a tremendous 2007-2008 season. I could easily decrease that number to 4 (take out Recchi), if we start at 1998-1999.

Mark Recchi (34-32), Zednik (31), Ryder (30-30), and finally Kovalev (35).

It's pretty sad. I don't know how much I trust Villeneuve and the gang, but they've stated we are in the bottom 3 of the league in that department. What's even more frustrating/saddening is the fact that on a mere 7 occasions, one of our players reached the 70 point mark in 14 or 15 seasons. You've gotta be kidding me!!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Last edited by PhysicX: 11-10-2011 at 07:17 AM.
PhysicX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Yet, the sample is so small, it's entirely meaningless. Thanks for pointing out nothing.
How is 32 games, 5 series in the playoffs meaningless? Come on. I agree with you, Cammy is not a superstar during the regular season. But he is money in the playoffs.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Maverik

I don't necessarily agree with the need to bottom up to obtain a superstar forward. It sure as hell help you and make it easier, but guys like Giroux, Pominville, Kopitar, Benn, Pavelski.

While maybe not superstar yet, some of them will become superstar and they were all available middle 1st round all the way to the 7th round.

Sure, the obvious choices of Crosby, Kessel, Ovie, Malkin, etc. came out on top, but there are others...

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Do you think the habs have anyone currently who could be a superstar at forward?

NOTE: I think Cammalleri is a superstar when he's healthy and it's playoff time, but that doesn't happen often...!

I think Brendan Gallagher could be a superstar. This kid is dominating the WHL right now.

Maybe Pacioretty too.
You're stretching believability like a jock strap that's lost it's elasticity through too many laundry cycles.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Gallagher could maybe become a similar player to Cammalleri, but that's his upside, not a superstar.

Price and Subban both have a chance. But upfront we are going to have alot of quality guys rather than 1 or 2 go to guys...

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Pacioretty-Eller-Gionta
Desharnais-Leblanc-Cole

Those are 9 guys that are pretty damn good making up our top 3 lines that all appear to be sticking around
Subban as a superstar? He's talented but the projection seems too optimistic.

Old
11-10-2011, 10:13 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You're stretching believability like a jock strap that's lost it's elasticity through too many laundry cycles.
Ohhh man hhahahahahahahahahahhahahaaha! Great stuff Teufelsdreck!

PhysicX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
This organization will never have a superstar again. It is based on mediocrity finishing every year battling for a playoff spot with average to mediocre players. The only reason they're having success is because of the experience of the coach that has bought them into this system. This was or still is there chance to start fresh and finally obtain that offensive dynamo they haven't had since Lafleur but yet again they've chose not to tank and keep giving people false hope when all the realists know that this team has NO chance ...absolutely NO CHANCE to win a Stanley Cup anytime soon.
Stephane Richer might have become one. Saku Koivu was sensational before his first major injury.

Old
11-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Not bad. "Jock was a strapping lad".

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
A stretch of 7 games isn't even worth mentioning, the sample is so small, with 32 games it's still nowhere near enough.

Would you call Halak a proven playoff performer? Or did he simply get hot?
I'd call Halak both hot and cold. He was also lucky until the ECF. The Habs gave him a lot of support against the Caps and Pens but not against the Flyers.