HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you like whole season of Sabres 6, Jets 5?

Old
11-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Gnuguy

vCash: 500
We never played the trap on the pond. And frankly would have stopped being friends with a kid who suggested it

Gnuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Nope.

6-5 in a game where the offensive guys are having unbelievable nights, sure.

But, 6-5 in a game filled with mistakes, blown coverages, soft goals, and questionable calls, making half the game a PP fest... Nah.

Because eventually, that style of play would bite you in the behind and you'd get blown away come playoff time.
I agree, I love seeing goals and chances just as much as the next guy. But last night was awful hockey, mistakes all over the ice, way too much PP time and defensive breakdowns. Sure the swings in momentum were fun but it seems like a lot of the goals were given away rather than earned or created.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:31 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

First, I watched the game at Buffalo Wild Wings here in Florida with my father. Had a great night eating some wings and watching a free wheeling game. Game 14 in an 82 game season...who cares. We won and it was fun.

Now, seriously. We let our goalie out to dry. Our stud goalie came into the game having a confidence issue and we let player after player all alone in front of him. I'm all for a fun game but we should have Played a stellar game defensively for Miller. Glad he got the win, and that he played well as the game wore on but 2 of the first 3 goals were not-a-chance types, unfair.

Fun game to watch.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Fun to watch in November, not fun to watch in April.

What's the phrase? Offense wins games, defense wins championships?
Just for ***** and giggles...

Every Cup winner since the lockout has been in the top 10 in goals-for during the regular season (five of the six have been in the top 6). And every winner has been in the top 5 in goals-for in the playoffs.

Four of the six winners have also been in the top 10 in goals-against in the regular season. All six were in the top 5 in goals-against in the playoffs.

The two regular season outliers when it comes to defense were the 06 Canes (20th in goals against in the regular season) and the 09 Pens, who were 17th. Both improved their goals against average during the playoffs.

I don't know what it means, if anything. Maybe it means you have to be a nicely balanced team to win it all. Teams that struggle to score goals don't win Cups.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Taro Tsujimoto

Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Offensively, yes. Defensively, no.

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:08 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Just for ***** and giggles...

Every Cup winner since the lockout has been in the top 10 in goals-for during the regular season (five of the six have been in the top 6). And every winner has been in the top 5 in goals-for in the playoffs.

Four of the six winners have also been in the top 10 in goals-against in the regular season. All six were in the top 5 in goals-against in the playoffs.

The two regular season outliers when it comes to defense were the 06 Canes (20th in goals against in the regular season) and the 09 Pens, who were 17th. Both improved their goals against average during the playoffs.

I don't know what it means, if anything. Maybe it means you have to be a nicely balanced team to win it all. Teams that struggle to score goals don't win Cups.
Interesting. Though, thinking about it critically, it would be hard for any Cup winning team to not be top 5 in goals for in the playoffs... They play more games and/or series than any other team save one.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:10 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Interesting. Though, thinking about it critically, it would be hard for any Cup winning team to not be top 5 in goals for in the playoffs... They play more games and/or series than any other team save one.
I should have written goals-for average during the playoffs. That's what I checked.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:18 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I should have written goals-for average during the playoffs. That's what I checked.
Ah, fair enough then.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Sinter Klaas

vCash: 50
If it was 6-5 in the style of the Sharks win a few years back (after the Clarence plane crash) or the 7-6 Ottawa win in the 2006 playoffs, than yes.

If it was 6-5 in the style of Jets game, than no.

Sinter Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote