HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penn State Scandal (Update: NCAA Punishment handed out)

Old
11-09-2011, 05:32 PM
whiplash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I have long thought that big-time college sports (esp. football and basketball) need to be divorced from the higher education system spun-off as an independent, professional minor league system.

Colleges should be centers of education, learning, and research, and that should always be their focus. But all the money and publicity of big time college sports have become a corrupting influence. Now in many places (such as Penn State), the football program takes center stage and has all the power, and academic affairs take a back-seat. The tail is wagging the dog. That's the reason that we can have scandals such as this one, and many others in the NCAA.

They should be spun off as minor pro leagues. Because that's what they are already - developmental leagues for the NBA and NFL. The athletes aren't there to pursue learning. Let's drop this "student-athlete" nonsense. They are there to pursue a pro sports career. And while they're doing that, they should at least get paid for all the money they are bringing in.
So you're basically in favor of cancelling every single athletic scholarship? Only a few college athletes will see the light of day in professional sports, period. And also say goodbye to college athletics, if your idea comes to fruition. Basketball and Football foot a large part of the bill for the other incredibly unprofitable college sports programs.

whiplash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:17 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
So you're basically in favor of cancelling every single athletic scholarship? Only a few college athletes will see the light of day in professional sports, period. And also say goodbye to college athletics, if your idea comes to fruition. Basketball and Football foot a large part of the bill for the other incredibly unprofitable college sports programs.
No, just the sports that already serve as de facto minor/developmental leagues for pro sports. Such as Division 1 college football. I know that your average college swimmer or wrestler or runner is not going to become a professional athlete. Those people really are student-athletes in the true sense of the word. I'm not concerned about them.

I'm aware that these football and basketball programs serve as huge money-makers for some of these schools. That's part of the problem. The fact that they pull in so much money has made them a corrupting influence on higher education. In some of these places, it seems like the university exists mainly for its football program, and that's just wrong. It's also wrong that the players, whose labor pulls in all these millions of dollars, aren't paid a dime for it.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:55 PM
slip

Quote:
No, just the sports that already serve as de facto minor/developmental leagues for pro sports. Such as Division 1 college football. I know that your average college swimmer or wrestler or runner is not going to become a professional athlete. Those people really are student-athletes in the true sense of the word. I'm not concerned about them.

I'm aware that these football and basketball programs serve as huge money-makers for some of these schools. That's part of the problem. The fact that they pull in so much money has made them a corrupting influence on higher education. In some of these places, it seems like the university exists mainly for its football program, and that's just wrong. It's also wrong that the players, whose labor pulls in all these millions of dollars, aren't paid a dime for it.
If you're going in that direction, why not examine the role university research departments play in developing the next generation weapons system or blockbuster pill for the pharmaceutical industry? The money at stake here far exceeds whatever cash a sports program might bring in. Does anyone clamor for cash payments to some overworked chemistry or engineering student?

The notion of the university as some kind of autonomous bastion of higher learning is rooted more in fantasy than fact; most upper echelon schools -- especially the division one schools -- are money making corporations more interested in the next multi-million grant/endowment than producing critical thinkers. The sports program is simply a tool toward this end, rather than the end itself.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:10 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
If you're going in that direction, why not examine the role university research departments play in developing the next generation weapons system or blockbuster pill for the pharmaceutical industry? The money at stake here far exceeds whatever cash a sports program might bring in. Does anyone clamor for cash payments to some overworked chemistry or engineering student?
Sure. Debates over proper compensation for graduate and postdoctoral researchers are valid, and often had.

But research, even applied research funded by government grants or corporate funding, is intellectual work, and therefore falls under the purview of a university. Football is not.

Sports are fine, in and of themselves, but they are by definition extracurricular activities. Things done in addition to the basic functions of a university. They are not essential, and certainly not the main purpose and reason for a university's existence, even though it seems like that in some places.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sure. Debates over proper compensation for graduate and postdoctoral researchers are valid, and often had.

But research, even applied research funded by government grants or corporate funding, is intellectual work, and therefore falls under the purview of a university. Football is not.

Sports are fine, in and of themselves, but they are by definition extracurricular activities. Things done in addition to the basic functions of a university. They are not essential, and certainly not the main purpose and reason for a university's existence, even though it seems like that in some places.
Going to Universities isn't all about "learning" by way of textbooks and research papers. Sports offers a lot in terms of learning life. You're focused on the high end programs in both Football and Basketball.... which probably includes under 100 colleges combined for both Sports...which is a small percentage when it comes to the overall picture.

The athletes that rake in the millions to the Colleges are taken care of ... They attend great schools for free.... what they choose to do with that education is up to them.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:41 PM
joshjull

Pathetic watching these Penn state students. This is what get's them out to protest? Pathetic. They should be embarassed.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Pathetic watching these Penn state students. This is what get's them out to protest? Pathetic. They should be embarassed.
Mob mentality.

Vast majority of them don't even care..... It's just a big party to them.

Bunch of sheep following the herd.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:53 PM
slip

Quote:
Exactly 100% this.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Apparently crowds are forming on the SATELLITE campuses of Penn State (I teach on one and have a number of student/friends on FB that dorm on my campus).

It's patently ridiculous.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:28 PM
fing0rz

Things are about to get nasty.

Depending on how PSU handles it, Pegula might want to consider his options. Im sure hes already looking into it.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:48 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quite possibly, pegulas D1 hockey program is the Phoenix which rises from the ashes. That scenario is just as likely as his withdrawal of support.

I've read the grand jury finding publicly available. The perpetrator is in custody and the complicit hierarchy has been identified. I trust the Commonwealth will justly deal with the legalities.

One issue receiving less sensationalism is the disappearance and alleged suicide of the assistant DA of Centre county circa 2005. It may well be that some faction of hierarchy, whether administration or alums, contracted or arranged for such a "disappearance". That topic isn't getting as much press as it perhaps should.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:53 PM
OpethianSabre20

Someone should make that kid in the grey hoodie that ESPN interviewed a few minutes ago the new president. He had a ton of guts condemning Paterno's actions in front of a crowd comprised largely of despicable idiots.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:01 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

This is embarrassing. Watching this after walking thru Zuccotti Park daily because of work - kind of makes me laugh. Enough protesting.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:40 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Apparently crowds are forming on the SATELLITE campuses of Penn State (I teach on one and have a number of student/friends on FB that dorm on my campus).

It's patently ridiculous.
It's a slap in the face to the children who were *****.

Penn State students need some farking perspective. Football is a game. A GAME.

Edit: Apparently HFBoards won't let me say "*****" even in a news story about ****. So I'll say "sexually assaulted" instead.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:56 AM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Mob mentality.

Vast majority of them don't even care..... It's just a big party to them.

Bunch of sheep following the herd.
This is how all college age kids are. "Oh everyone else is protesting? Sweet I'm down man, you got the beer? oh it's cool I think I got a 12 pack left. You think that will be enough? should we swing by 7-11 on the way and get more? I got $23 and some change but I was saving that for the rest of the week."

Mob mentality is a good reason for why Obama got office. It was so cool to vote for him, it was the hip thing to do. Kids my age who I was certain didn't know the Vice President were suddenly sporting Obama shirts and had stickers on their car. Of course these same people have gotten rid of these items when his support started to drop.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:03 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
Mob mentality is a good reason for why Obama got office. It was so cool to vote for him, it was the hip thing to do. Kids my age who I was certain didn't know the Vice President were suddenly sporting Obama shirts and had stickers on their car. Of course these same people have gotten rid of these items when his support started to drop.
I was going to argue with you here, but instead I'll just ask you to leave your partisan politics out of this. There is a Politics Board for that.

Old
11-10-2011, 01:05 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 05:24 AM
Mr Twinkie

This game Saturday is going to be bad news bears.. And I'm not even referring to the game itself.. These students are going to be tailgating all day, be all boozed up and it's going to get out of hand.. Hopefully the police are ready for the worst and can contain this because I have a feeling it's not going to be pretty

Mr Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:17 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
I was going to argue with you here, but instead I'll just ask you to leave your partisan politics out of this. There is a Politics Board for that.
Yeah...I'm with you on that one.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:15 AM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Cliff Benson sits on the board of The Second Mile, the organization founded by the accused.

I don't think Terry will be deterred in the least.
there is a terrible rumor about the Second Mile that is starting to become a story, that Sandusky pimped kids out to donors...that would be devastating.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:42 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twinkie View Post
This game Saturday is going to be bad news bears.. And I'm not even referring to the game itself.. These students are going to be tailgating all day, be all boozed up and it's going to get out of hand.. Hopefully the police are ready for the worst and can contain this because I have a feeling it's not going to be pretty
Someone on the internet suggested that any Penn State student who gets arrested for rioting over the Paterno firing should be sentenced to 100 hours of community service with an agency that helps child abuse victims.

I tend to agree. The students need a strong dose of perspective. I know they live in their little Happy Valley bubble where football is king, but that's not real life.

Old
11-10-2011, 10:47 AM
boots electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
there is a terrible rumor about the Second Mile that is starting to become a story, that Sandusky pimped kids out to donors...that would be devastating.
just caught wind of this myself. i'm hoping this stays a rumor, because if it turns out to be true in the slightest...wow. i wouldn't even know what to say

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:59 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Someone on the internet suggested that any Penn State student who gets arrested for rioting over the Paterno firing should be sentenced to 100 hours of community service with an agency that helps child abuse victims.

I tend to agree. The students need a strong dose of perspective. I know they live in their little Happy Valley bubble where football is king, but that's not real life.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
just caught wind of this myself. i'm hoping this stays a rumor, because if it turns out to be true in the slightest...wow. i wouldn't even know what to say
My waning faith in humanity would drop that much lower.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:01 AM
joshjull

It goes beyond the incident in 2002 with Paterno.

In the late 90s Sandusky was accused iirc two times and brought in for questioning by police. In one case basically admitting he molested kids. One investigation was conducted by campus police and State College police. That's why Sandusky lost his job and was "barred from campus in 99.

There is no way in hell Paterno didn't know wha was going on in those cases considering his status at the school and relationship with Sandusky. With the power Paterno had there is no way Sandusky is forced into retirement without Paterno signing off on it and knowing he reasons why.

In light of that it makes what happened in 2002 even more disgusting (if that's possible). Paterno knows what Sandusky is in 2002 and does nothing but the bare minimum. His is looking to still protect his buddy nd not the kids he is ******. He is a *******.

The funny thing is some in the sporting world are talking about his legacy and reputation being soiled. They are missing the fact that we are now learning what the true legacy should be. He was never the paragon of virtu he was believed to be. it was all ********.

**** Paterno

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:07 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
The funny thing is some in the sporting world are talking about his legacy and reputation being soiled. They are missing the fact that we are now learning what the true legacy should be. He was never the paragon of virtu he was believed to be. it was all ********.
I've been hearing how sad it is that Paterno's career ends this way. You know what? It's not sad at all. It's right and just that his hypocrisy and complicity with evil is exposed.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote