HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

We're winning games and winning them in regulation or overtime

Old
11-10-2011, 02:16 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

vCash: 500
We're winning games and winning them in regulation or overtime

With the somewhat new rule of wins in regulation and OT having more meaning than winning in the shootout, these wins are very important for the team.

As we know from last season, the Rangers were a team that won in the shootout often. I believe this team being a team relying on the shootout are done.

We finally have a core group of top 6 guys, bottom 6 guys (Once Rupp gets healthy), and top 4 D (5 with Staal) that are strong and an asset on both ends of the ice. Not to mention, the best goalie in the NHL. Dubinsky will eventually get going and complete that Cally-Richie-Dubi line

I think we're going to be seeing a lot more wins in regulation and OT than before with this team, which could result the team moving up in the standings in general, but for tie-breaking purposes as well.I think the players also feel better winning these games in regulation.

Also, it makes the team believe the shootout isn't needed to win games, which fair well in the playoffs.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:07 AM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1800
Once Duby and Boyle find their scoring touches again, whoa...!

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:39 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Yeah they are putting up goals every game, and once Dubi starts to get it together that only strengthens this team's offensive abilities. Putting up 3-4 goals a game with our solid defensive core and Lundqvist in net usually means a win. Once our top lines started to gel, they started to win games because they were cashing in on their oppertunities.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 06:12 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

#4 in the Conference, 2 points behind Pittsburgh for #1 overall in the Conference.

Keep it going, boys!

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 06:23 AM
beastly115

Not to mention getting Staal back improves our defense by a lot... Eminger and Woywitka with the 4th line on the ice for that 2nd goal made me cringe. What was Torts thinking?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 06:42 AM
PavelBure9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Not to mention getting Staal back improves our defense by a lot... Eminger and Woywitka with the 4th line on the ice for that 2nd goal made me cringe. What was Torts thinking?
That was the 4th line? I think that was the 2nd. Either way, hopefully rotating Stralman, Eminger, and Woywitka for the time being will give rest for the three players. I'm worried about topline minutes for Girardi, McD, Sauer, and MDZ and I'm hoping that one of the the bottom pairs can step up for a game or 2 to give the big boys some rest.

PavelBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:57 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelBure9 View Post
That was the 4th line? I think that was the 2nd. Either way, hopefully rotating Stralman, Eminger, and Woywitka for the time being will give rest for the three players. I'm worried about topline minutes for Girardi, McD, Sauer, and MDZ and I'm hoping that one of the the bottom pairs can step up for a game or 2 to give the big boys some rest.
Im pretty sure Deveaux was on the ice for that goal. It's possible they were in mid change though and he was about to get off.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
With the somewhat new rule of wins in regulation and OT having more meaning than winning in the shootout, these wins are very important for the team.

As we know from last season, the Rangers were a team that won in the shootout often. I believe this team being a team relying on the shootout are done.

We finally have a core group of top 6 guys, bottom 6 guys (Once Rupp gets healthy), and top 4 D (5 with Staal) that are strong and an asset on both ends of the ice. Not to mention, the best goalie in the NHL. Dubinsky will eventually get going and complete that Cally-Richie-Dubi line

I think we're going to be seeing a lot more wins in regulation and OT than before with this team, which could result the team moving up in the standings in general, but for tie-breaking purposes as well.I think the players also feel better winning these games in regulation.

Also, it makes the team believe the shootout isn't needed to win games, which fair well in the playoffs.

The Philosophy is fairly simple. Give Henke 2.3 goals and they won't need OT the majority of the time.

We lost many 1 goal games last year.

Score an extra goal and the D and Henke can shut it down most nights.

Look at the wins this year. Yea Gabby looks great but other players are stepping up as well.... Right now teams are not looking forward to playing NYR

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Garfinkel1

two of our three goals yesterday came from a strong for-check from AA. Torts system worked well...

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:47 AM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Im pretty sure Deveaux was on the ice for that goal. It's possible they were in mid change though and he was about to get off.
It was the fourth ...Avery-EC-Deveaux were all -1 for the game.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Giacomin

I have liked this team since the season started. Once Staal,WW get back and Avery finds some rhythm this team will be a Beast in the East!

Giacomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
I have liked this team since the season started. Once Staal,WW get back and Avery finds some rhythm this team will be a Beast in the East!
Wolski will be lucky to find a spot to play as things are going now.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
Once Duby and Boyle find their scoring touches again, whoa...!
Dubi just needs to get on track for 25ish goals and play his best smash mouth style of hockey.

Boyle, I'd be very happy with 10 goals and a consistent, forechecking, shut down, shot blocking, tough to play against 3rd liner.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
It was the fourth ...Avery-EC-Deveaux were all -1 for the game.
I think that line has potential.

EC has been quietly good. I mean what else would he be, but he has been an asset.

Avery can be very good on the forecheck and Deveaux has the size and toughness.

Old
11-10-2011, 11:24 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Wolski will be lucky to find a spot to play as things are going now.
Eh, things won't go this well for too long. We'll hit a slump and need to shift the lineup a bit to get people going again.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Nyrvana

Don't want to downplay how well this team has played but, the only team we have beaten with a winning record is San Jose. That's not saying much because we've only played 3 other teams with winning records (Kings, Edmonton, and Toronto.) Hopefully we continue to beat up on the teams we should and play the other teams well.

The team no longer seems like it is struggling to score points. The playmaking ability has increased drastically. No, it is not JUST because of Richards but a combination of that and the improvement of Del Zotto, Stepan, McDonagh and company.

IMO, the best part about this early season success is that you can see how good this team can be for the next couple of years. Add Kreider and Erixon to a very young talented corps. Then maybe a Thomas, Miller, and McIlrath. The future for this team is excellent.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:32 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I think that line has potential.

EC has been quietly good. I mean what else would he be, but he has been an asset.

Avery can be very good on the forecheck and Deveaux has the size and toughness.
They may have some potential but playing 5:00 a night is tough to generate.

nyrleetch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 02:46 PM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Maybe equalize their time out a little bit with the 3rd line? Three or four minutes extra might be enough for them to get a little going. EC at least is getting PP time, though there wasn't a lot of that last night...
Instead of juggling the guys in the line, try juggling their TOI a little for a game or two and see if anything happens...
I'm not a huge Avery fan, but if he's here I want him to be effective and, so far, he hasn't been much of a factor (its not like the "fight" last night provided any spark to the guys)...let's see if the pro-Avery people are right, give his line a little more ice time and see what they do with it.
Just a thought...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:05 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
Maybe equalize their time out a little bit with the 3rd line? Three or four minutes extra might be enough for them to get a little going. EC at least is getting PP time, though there wasn't a lot of that last night...
Instead of juggling the guys in the line, try juggling their TOI a little for a game or two and see if anything happens...
I'm not a huge Avery fan, but if he's here I want him to be effective and, so far, he hasn't been much of a factor (its not like the "fight" last night provided any spark to the guys)...let's see if the pro-Avery people are right, give his line a little more ice time and see what they do with it.
Just a thought...

I agree with your point. They can take some minutes away from Feds-Boyle-Prust and the team will still be effective.

nyrleetch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

This is a GOOD hockey team. And we don't even have one of our most important pieces. I can't wait until Dubi finds his scoring touch and Staalsy comes back, we should compete for tops in the Atlantic and top in the East. I am quite impressed with Richards, and Gaborik has been an absolute stud for us, and Stepan seems to be a huge piece to our puzzle as well. This is a good hockey team. We are on the up and coming, and I wish the negative normans who posted when we started slow are locked out of this ship, because I have high hopes for this team

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
When they improve as a unit and become more of an asset, they will play more.

Old
11-10-2011, 05:23 PM
lebear
I have no idea

Wait, what's the difference between winning in OT and SO? SO count less in case of a tie in standings?

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:02 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebear View Post
Wait, what's the difference between winning in OT and SO? SO count less in case of a tie in standings?
Yes. Used to be that wins was the first tiebreaker, but now it's regulation and OT wins. So if 2 teams have the same number of points and the same number of wins, but one team has more of its wins in regulation or OT, that team wins the tiebreaker.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:08 PM
kennglin13

But how can we be winning? We are a soft team

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Easy there folks, it's a winning streak. It's no indication that we'll consistently be a top team over the course of the season. I'm not saying we shouldn't be happy with the play of late but don't crown this team just yet.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote