HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ennis vs. Gerbe vs. Adam

Old
11-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
people that put the image of max on ennis, totally miss the vast difference between the two.
vast?

i mean, there are definitely differences, and a lot of similarities too.

When I think of "vast" differences between players, I think of Vaclav Varada and Tim Connolly... or Brad Brown and Brian Campbell...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Mellifleur

I will go with Adam for the following reasons

His game is most effective because he does the simplest things well for the most part. He plays in/near the crease, takes the puck to the net or shoots it on net. He isn't really noted for trying too many fancy passes or trying to skate through too many people. At least that is what the scouting report was on him and what the impression I get in the games I have watched of him this season so far. He has a big frame, which allows him to play in close to the net or try to barrel his way there. He definitely fills a need for the Sabres. As long as he continues with the basic mentality of getting the puck to the net (via shooting or barrelling to the net with it on his stick) I think he will get his points and remaind effective. If he can work on his skating and conditioning a bit more, as he continues his career I can see him being a significant impact forward.

Ennis has tremendous skill and skating ability but I feel like along with that skill comes a tendancy to want to overhandle the puck or get too pretty with the play. At times he reminds me of Afinogenov with how much he handles the puck... He needs to pick up his head and look for teammates coming free or use his skating to elude a checker and take a quick shot on net instead of trying to be too pretty. I feel like he has really great upside but he also could end up being the player with the hardest times (in terms of slumps) in his game (with the greatest potential of failing) unless he changes some tendancies.

Gerbe... what can I say, I really did not like his game at the beginning of last year and thought we should find another guy to fill his slot. Boy has he really changed my opinion, I love watching the kid play now and he has balls! Big swinging ones. He has a nonstop motor and plays his heart out, plus he has some ability to score to back up his effort and tenacity. I remember that sick spin o rama goal he scored against Philly late last season. I think Gerbe has the ability to be in the top 6 but will always find a way to be on the roster because of his tenacity as long he continues to show at least the tremendous effort he has been since mid last year. (and doesn't end up taking out of control penalties like in the Jets game).

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Enzo63

Tyler Ennis! Hands down. The kid's ceiling is literally through the roof. Sky is the limit for Tyler if he can develop his game and get rid of a few bad tendencies. He will eventually find his consistancy. Dont forget this kid is still scored 20 goals as a rookie, and he's actually more of a play maker than anything. A point-per-game pace will be his annual stat year-after-year in probably 2+ seasons. Excited for Tyler and his progression with this team. Hope he recovers quick from this injury. I also just bought his Jersey at the game on Tuesday night! Keep er rollin' boys!

2) Luke Adam
3) Nate Gerbe

Enzo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo63 View Post
Tyler Ennis! Hands down. The kid's ceiling is literally through the roof. Sky is the limit for Tyler if he can develop his game and get rid of a few bad tendencies. He will eventually find his consistancy. Dont forget this kid is still scored 20 goals as a rookie, and he's actually more of a play maker than anything. A point-per-game pace will be his annual stat year-after-year in probably 2+ seasons. Excited for Tyler and his progression with this team. Hope he recovers quick from this injury. I also just bought his Jersey at the game on Tuesday night! Keep er rollin' boys!

2) Luke Adam
3) Nate Gerbe
no it won't

Old
11-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
no it won't
but... he bought his jersey....

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:41 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
vast?

When I think of "vast" differences between players, I think of Vaclav Varada and Tim Connolly... or Brad Brown and Brian Campbell...

The only thing they have in common is speed and size. However i do agree that vast was an exaggeration. It took years for max to learn how to use his linemates and defensemen (because he was dynamic). I was proud to see him make the Olympic team. I guess we can also say that both players create a lot of scoring opportunities.

Lol about Vaclav Varada and Tim Connolly. Varada played like a crystal methed up truck driver.

I just think that over the years max acquired a bit of a bad rep for missing the net and over stick handling. There were plenty of people who loved max but we often hear about him for reasons that they didn't.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:53 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
vast?

lulz Jame you got me to lol on this one, Brown and soupy hahaha..

I agree though Ennis reminds me of Max, however he is young still so time will tell..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:58 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
The only thing they have in common is speed and size. However i do agree that vast was an exaggeration. It took years for max to learn how to use his linemates and defensemen (because he was dynamic). I was proud to see him make the Olympic team. I guess we can also say that both players create a lot of scoring opportunities.

Lol about Vaclav Varada and Tim Connolly. Varada played like a crystal methed up truck driver.

I just think that over the years max acquired a bit of a bad rep for missing the net and over stick handling. There were plenty of people who loved max but we often hear about him for reasons that they didn't.
One could argue he never did learn to do that effectively with any consistency.

Max's bad rep was well deserved IMO.

The coaches and team as a whole had enormous patience with Max About 2 years too much patience IMO.

Last edited by ZZamboni: 11-10-2011 at 03:22 PM.
ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

i think size is probably the biggest difference between the two

Old
11-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
i think size is probably the biggest difference between the two
I agree, Afinogenov had that Russian stigma attached to him but he was a strong dude and very solid on his skates. No comparison between Afinogenov and Ennis from a size comparison. I understand relating the two in other areas but I think Ennis will be fine once he grows and develops.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 03:47 PM
LGBuffalo

I think points wise, Ennis will have the best career. Luke Adam will probably settle in as a 3rd or 4th center which was said here before. I really do feel though that Gerbe, at this pace could develop a cult-like following because of his size and intensity which will eventually lead to some thinking that in hindsight he was the better player. Just my opinion.

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Who is going to have the better NHL career?

I'll leave it up to you to determine what "better" means. Stats may tell part of the story, but not the whole story. Stats, longevity, effectiveness, among other factors are things to consider.

I think Ennis. He has the speed, he has the creativity, he has the hands. He has enough size to survive the NHL game long term.

Gerbe at his intensity and size, I think he will wear down as he ages, and injuries could have a very devastating effect. Especially if he loses his speed. But if he's lucky enough to have a career as long as St. Louis, that would be cool to see.

Adam at his lack of speed, and current lack of physical play may turn him into a 3rd, 4th line guy in a few years. He has good instincts, and good hands. But he may get better and better and surprise me.
Gerbe. He's got more drive to improve his game than just about anybody on the team. If he wants to take his game to the next level, he will need to be coached the same way Kessel was. Less energy into yapping, and more into scoring. He's got pretty great skills, speed, and just about everything you want from a hockey player.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:25 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Gerbe. He's got more drive to improve his game than just about anybody on the team. If he wants to take his game to the next level, he will need to be coached the same way Kessel was. Less energy into yapping, and more into scoring. He's got pretty great skills, speed, and just about everything you want from a hockey player.
Perfect assessment of Gerbe, his determination is amazing. If only he was 6'0...

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Perfect assessment of Gerbe, his determination is amazing. If only he was 6'0...

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 05:33 PM
joshjull

Something to keep in mind are the ages of these three. Adam just turned 21 years old this summer (June 18th), Ennis turned 22 a month ago (Oct 6th) and Gerbe turned 24 in July.

Adam in particular is very raw and still has aspects of his game to develop. Even though he was drafted the same year as Ennis he is 8 months younger.

Gerbe is pretty close to what he is going to be. Whereas Adam and Ennis have a ways to go to find that out.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Ennis has first line potential in terms of both skills and brains. Bringing it out and rounding himself out into playing consistently smart hockey is up to him.

Adam is playing on the first line right now and has kept up almost every game, contributing in his own way. I don't know if his skating is there to handle "first line" ES minutes and he's still raw as a second year pro will wont to be. His size and ability to put pucks on net, and the ability to be in the right position in the offensive zone should translate nicely as he rounds off the jagged edges to his game (like not skating hard completely through his man while backchecking or finishing hits along the wall).

Gerbe looks like he's coming into his own as a Versteeg-type: very good puck pursuit player who contests everything nearly all the time with a combination of quick feet and quick hands.

If they all come close to projection, Ennis and Adam may be very close to one another in terms of production if the size/obstruction continue to creep back into the game. Gerbe could prove to be the most valuable though, as a versatile checking line player who can PK, take PP shifts, and also disrupt with his style. How long he can play that way remains to be seen...

11-11-2011, 07:02 PM
dan213

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBuffalo View Post
I think points wise, Ennis will have the best career. Luke Adam will probably settle in as a 3rd or 4th center which was said here before. I really do feel though that Gerbe, at this pace could develop a cult-like following because of his size and intensity which will eventually lead to some thinking that in hindsight he was the better player. Just my opinion.
Completely agree with this. Ennis or Adam would have to have a significantly better career than Gerbe to be remembered as a better player than him.

I'm a big fan of Gerbe but people around here LOVE him.

I personally believe that Ennis will have the best career stat wise of the 3.

dan213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Gerbe is the most valuable
Adam is the most needed
Ennis is the most skilled
Done, a skilled response.

Ennis is so fast and skilled we miss him every game, Gerbe is so small and fast no one can see him, as for Adam I'm not up to speed on him but based on this forum he is a welcomed addition... The problem is, all of these guys are Kevin Dineen students... I hope the pipe line continues.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote