HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ways to fix the powerplay

Old
11-10-2011, 02:56 PM
livewell68

vCash: 500
Ways to fix the powerplay

Before anyone attacks me and says this is a Jagr love thread, it's not.

I have an idea I think would help to improve our powerplay drastically. We have the offensive weapons and the important keys to make our powerplay the "best" in the league. (I mean we do lead the league in goals after all.) What we have seen is our powerplay struggling of late and looking dissorganized.

Having Giroux and Jagr on the same powerplay unit is fine but what if we split them up on the powerplay? When Giroux is on the powerplay he tends to keep the puck most of the time and Jagr is hanging around in the wrong spot. Jagr is at his most effective playing off the right half boards. Clearly his playmaking ability is still world class and as displayed in the preseason, his shot and one-timer are still deadly.

What needs to be done is to put Briere at center with Hartnell playing the left while Jagr operates on the right boards. The points can be alternated and we can even emply one forward on either point on either unit. The other powerplay unit would consist of Giroux at center, Voracek at Left and JVR at right. JVR doesn't look "in place" at the point.

This way we have two distinct looks and two very capable powerplay units. Run one unit through Giroux and the other through Jagr. Let Pronger play on Giroux' powerplay unit.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by livewell68: 11-10-2011 at 04:40 PM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 02:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
What do you guys think?
I think Jagr will score about 60-65pts this year

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 02:59 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I think Jagr will score about 60-65pts this year
Are you the poster formerly known as Cartsiephan?

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 03:02 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Are you the poster formerly known as Cartsiephan?
No but he was spotted on here this week as ROTCphan...check out the intro thread it was kind of funny. He didn't hide himself much. Anyway, I am a Couturierphan hence the name but it's also tongue in cheek.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Madik77

I could help. However, the starting point is faceoff...and we are terrible in this discipline. I dont think they can fix this soon:-(.

Madik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:56 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post

I have an idea I think would help to improve our powerplay drastically. We have the offensive weapons and the important keys to make our powerplay the "best" in the league. (I mean we do lead the league in goals after all.) What we have seen is our powerplay struggling of late and looking dissorganized.

Having Giroux and Jagr on the same powerplay unit is fine but what if we split them up on the powerplay? When Giroux is on the powerplay he tends to keep the puck most of the time and Jagr is hanging around in the wrong spot. Jagr is at his most effective playing off the right half boards. Clearly his playmaking ability is still world class and as displayed in the preseason, his shot and one-timer are still deadly.

What needs to be done is to put Briere at center with Hartnell playing the left while Jagr operates on the right boards. The points can be alternated and we can even emply one forward on either point on either unit. The other powerplay unit would consist of Giroux at center, Voracek at Left and JVR at right. JVR doesn't look "in place" at the point.

This way we have two distinct looks and two very capable powerplay units. Run one unit through Giroux and the other through Jagr. Let Pronger play on Giroux' powerplay unit.

What do you guys think?
I'm of the mind that Jagr - Giroux works, so keep them on the PP. It's not the personnel IMHO; it's that they appear hesitant with the puck, both approaching and in the offensive zone. First, they need to gain the zone more effectively and control the puck. Opposing PK is standing them up at the blue line, and I see too much Jagr / Giroux trying to stickhandle through 3 players, while the other Flyers are standing still. Get the puck-handler across the blue line with the others in movement and look for a quick pass to spring someone coming along the wing. Mix that up with the good old-fashioned dump-and-chase.

While in the zone, they do way too much passing around the point perimeter. There appears to be very little set-up for a high-quality one-timer from inside one of the faceoff circles. Watching Toronto (!) tonight against St. Louis, they had quick puck movement to open up the PKers, and did a nice job of opening up a cross-ice seam for a pass / one-timer by Liles.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:36 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

idk why they break up what is obviously our best line for the powerplay

keep hartnell-giroux-jagr for the man advantage too.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 02:05 AM
zbryne

Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
shots?

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 02:06 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

SHOOT! SHOOT!

I agree, winning the faceoff is the best start.

OzFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:53 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:

Now let me proceed in talking about Jagr...
FIFY

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:33 AM
cheesesteak

I like Voracek at the point better then JVR. JVR has a blast, but it always seems to miss the net.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote