HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Penn State Scandal (Update: NCAA Punishment handed out)

Old
11-10-2011, 11:11 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Harrington went off the deep end insulting me after I commented about his Pegula non-story story.

Good riddance from that guy.
And I still think it's hilarious that people think he should withdraw his donation. Who is he punishing then? The hockey program? The President and any staff that have already been fired?

Reactionary journalism at it's finest. Dude needs a muzzle.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
It goes beyond the incident in 2002 with Paterno.

In the late 90s Sandusky was accused iirc two times and brought in for questioning by police. In one case basically admitting he molested kids. One investigation was conducted by campus police and State College police. That's why Sandusky lost his job and was "barred from campus in 99.

There is no way in hell Paterno didn't know wha was going on in those cases considering his status at the school and relationship with Sandusky. With the power Paterno had there is no way Sandusky is forced into retirement without Paterno signing off on it and knowing he reasons why.

In light of that it makes what happened in 2002 even more disgusting (if that's possible). Paterno knows what Sandusky is in 2002 and does nothing but the bare minimum. His is looking to still protect his buddy nd not the kids he is ******. He is a *******.

The funny thing is some in the sporting world are talking about his legacy and reputation being soiled. They are missing the fact that we are now learning what the true legacy should be. He was never the paragon of virtu he was believed to be. it was all ********.

**** Paterno
i agree. i hope, and expect, to see more heads roll. anyone connected to this should be arrested, fired, and/or disgraced in whatever combination may be legally appropriate.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:55 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
there is a terrible rumor about the Second Mile that is starting to become a story, that Sandusky pimped kids out to donors...that would be devastating.

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:00 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle626610.ece

Quote:
What does Western New York's most prominent Penn State alum and booster think of the sex-abuse scandal allegedly involving former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky that has rocked the university? So far, he's silent.

Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula has declined to make any comment on the chaotic situation at his alma mater that resulted in Wednesday night's firings of football coach Joe Paterno and president Graham Spanier.

Team spokesman Michael Gilbert said Wednesday that Pegula is not ready to make any remarks on the situation, and the owner declined to issue any statement on the matter when one was requested by The News through Gilbert.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:03 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
This is embarrassing. Watching this after walking thru Zuccotti Park daily because of work - kind of makes me laugh. Enough protesting.
Equating the two types of protest is just silly.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Terry Pegula, whose $88 million donation is funding the men's program and the arena, to be named the Pegula Ice Arena, has told Penn State officials that his family's commitment is "as strong as ever."

That's according to Joe Battista, the associate athletic director for ice arena and hockey development, who responded to an email by first acknowledging that hearts are heavy for the victims and their families.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/from-the-press-...#ixzz1dKZW5Qkk

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 02:12 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
This one is free Harrington, next time I will have to charge.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 02:27 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BUF|home

Quote:
The events that are unfolding at Penn State University are deeply troubling and a matter of great concern to me and my wife Kim. As many have expressed, our primary concern is for the individuals and families who may have been victimized.”

“Penn State's reputation has been severely tarnished. We are encouraged to see the University trustees have begun the process of restoring integrity and trust in the institution. This process will take a period of time and trust will need to be re-earned as a result of these recent disclosures.”

“Penn State is supported by millions of students, alumni, faculty, staff and administrators. Our own support for Penn State and its hockey program is well known and will continue. We expect the University will carry out its educational mission with high standards and integrity.”
Statement is out. Harrington can go back to his hole now.

Old
11-10-2011, 02:29 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I love that Pegs basically told TBN to eff off and did this on his own.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 02:37 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I love that Pegs basically told TBN to eff off and did this on his own.
Yeah, good.

I'm sure Terry has a lot going on and wanted to get all the information he could, then have time to really digest it all. No problem with him holding off a few days before saying something.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I don't get the seeming "concern" that Paterno's reputation is tarnished. He looked the other way while someone was using their position within his organization to perform heinous acts on children. **** him and his reputation.

11-10-2011, 02:51 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I was going to argue with you here, but instead I'll just ask you to leave your partisan politics out of this. There is a Politics Board for that.
I don't see how it's partisan when I'm a democrat/Obama supporter. Not trying to keep it going, just getting it out there.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 02:56 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I don't get the seeming "concern" that Paterno's reputation is tarnished. He looked the other way while someone was using their position within his organization to perform heinous acts on children. **** him and his reputation.
Thank you!

His reputation has been sham for years it seems. Get over him as his "legacy".

Old
11-10-2011, 03:01 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
And I still think it's hilarious that people think he should withdraw his donation. Who is he punishing then? The hockey program? The President and any staff that have already been fired?
Eh, not rewarding =/= punishing. And frankly I wouldn't want my name associated with an athletic department that allowed this to happen. Corruption breeds corruption, and I guarantee there will be big name officials who get away scot-free and stay in the organization.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
just caught wind of this myself. i'm hoping this stays a rumor, because if it turns out to be true in the slightest...wow. i wouldn't even know what to say
If true, it could bring the story much, much closer to home.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
Eh, not rewarding =/= punishing. And frankly I wouldn't want my name associated with an athletic department that allowed this to happen. Corruption breeds corruption, and I guarantee there will be big name officials who get away scot-free and stay in the organization.
He's not rewarding them.

He's creating opportunities for students, nothing more.

Old
11-10-2011, 03:02 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Yikes.. missed some of the politics.

STAY AWAY from anything remotely political.

Old
11-10-2011, 03:02 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
People want to think guys like Paterno are pillars of moral values. They want to believe that so much they don't want it to change ever. And I get that allure. This guy was a hero to so many people...perhaps consciously they know and understand it, but I think most people will to anything not to believe their hero isn't who they thought he was. They'll latch on to false hope (maybe he didn't really know, maybe he did try to tell others, etc.) because that belief in their hero is so strong they don't want to lose it. They don't want to lose that ideal.

Think about his former players. How many of them do you think WANT to think of Paterno as anything other than their beloved coach who made them bette players and better people? Very, very few. Emotions get in the way of rational thinking sometimes.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 03:03 PM
puckish66

Quote:
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BUF|home

Statement is out. Harrington can go back to his hole now.
Again some people just want to stick their head in the sand. It's a legitimate story and Mike/the News were just doing their job.

Old
11-10-2011, 03:07 PM
puckish66

Not too crazy about the "may have been victimized" line. There are multiple witnesses to Sandusky's behavior and a phone recording of Sandusky basically confessing and saying he wished he was dead.

Old
11-10-2011, 03:09 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Again some people just want to stick their head in the sand. It's a legitimate story and Mike/the News were just doing their job.
No, Harrington was trying to create a story out of the fact that Pegula had declined to comment yet.

It's one thing to mention that in a story, it's another to use it as the basis for a story and try to manufacture drama. He most definitely did the latter.

Old
11-10-2011, 03:09 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Stick my head in the sand? Right. I have no problem with them wanting a comment from Terry, but writing an entire article about "Hey, Terry hasn't said anything yet" and painting him as aloof and slow to respond is irresponsible and slightly vindictive.

Old
11-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Not too crazy about the "may have been victimized" line. There are multiple witnesses to Sandusky's behavior and a phone recording of Sandusky basically confessing and saying he wished he was dead.
Unless Sandusky has actually been found guilty in a court of law, it would've been libelous of Pegula to have written anything else in his statement. I'm sure Pegula's lawyer(s) advised him on what to write.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 03:12 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
Unless Sandusky has actually been found guilty in a court of law, it would've been slanderous of Pegula to say anything else. I'm sure his lawyer(s) looked over the statement before it was released.
Yeah, I've got no problem with the legal speak, especially from someone in his position.

Old
11-10-2011, 03:15 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Stick my head in the sand? Right. I have no problem with them wanting a comment from Terry, but writing an entire article about "Hey, Terry hasn't said anything yet" and painting him as aloof and slow to respond is irresponsible and slightly vindictive.
It's written as a straight news story. The story didn't "paint" him -- readers can draw their own conclusions from the facts.