HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Injury Talk: Gill out Saturday/Markov not back before California trip

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
On the bright side, we get Gomez back for Saturday.

Guys?
I can't wait. Not even kidding.

Old
11-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
So tell me ? What is wrong with this ? He is a much more complete player then say DD. And if you listen to anyone except HF and M Bergeron, he would probably still be in the AHL.
Desharnais in the AHL? He's better than that. Last season he was a terrific 4th-line centre. This season he's generally been in over his head having to face 3rd-line opposition. That doesn't make him useless, it just means he's a decent depth player rather than a future 2nd-line centre in the NHL. Nothing wrong with that, especially with Plekanec, Eller, and Gomez ahead on the depth chart.

I am looking forward to Gomez being back soon. Being able to ease up on the toughness of the even-strength minutes of Desharnais and Eller will help the team.

Old
11-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
So tell me ? What is wrong with this ? He is a much more complete player then say DD. And if you listen to anyone except HF and M Bergeron, he would probably still be in the AHL.
Agreed about DD, not his biggest fan and besides pp(cause he doesn't get touched) he isn't anything special. Only problem I have with Gomez is he takes away time from Eller but it doesn't matter anyways cause Martin gives that time to DD anyways

Old
11-10-2011, 03:53 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I'm just having fun. I'm looking forward to getting Gomez back too. I'm still holding out hope he can get things back on track.

Old
11-10-2011, 04:01 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Desharnais in the AHL? He's better than that. Last season he was a terrific 4th-line centre. This season he's generally been in over his head having to face 3rd-line opposition. That doesn't make him useless, it just means he's a decent depth player rather than a future 2nd-line centre in the NHL. Nothing wrong with that, especially with Plekanec, Eller, and Gomez ahead on the depth chart.

I am looking forward to Gomez being back soon. Being able to ease up on the toughness of the even-strength minutes of Desharnais and Eller will help the team.
Yep AHL, he is physically too weak for the NHL. He will not be in the Habs top 6 next year. This is a garantee.

Old
11-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
I'm just having fun. I'm looking forward to getting Gomez back too. I'm still holding out hope he can get things back on track.
You silly, silly guy you..

Old
11-10-2011, 04:07 PM
De Montreal
help

RDS says Kostitsyn might play tonight

Quote:
Pour le moment, on ignore si l’attaquant Andrei Kostitsyn sera en mesure de revenir dans la formation n'ayant pas participé à l'entraînement matinal. Le numéro 46 est ennuyé par une blessure au bas du corps et Aaron Palushaj a été rappelé des Bulldogs de Hamilton.
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/329825.html

Maybe Palushaj callup was preventive in case Cammalleri status got worse.

I don't think we are a competitve team with Weber and Palushaj on our forwards unit.

Old
11-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Roke

Quote:
Yep AHL, he is physically too weak for the NHL. He will not be in the Habs top 6 next year. This is a garantee.
Teams use more than two forwards lines.

It's funny how Desharnais wasn't too weak physically to play on the 4th-line last year when he was terrific, one of the best 4th-liners in the league in my opinion (based on the ability to out-play the opposition).

He's not a key player and probably won't become one, but he fills a nice little niche when not asked to play a role above his head: punishing other teams on the scoreboard for sending the goons/non-NHLers on their 4th-line over the boards.

Old
11-10-2011, 04:09 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:

It's funny how Desharnais wasn't too weak physically to play on the 4th-line last year when he was terrific, one of the best 4th-liners in the league in my opinion (based on the ability to out-play the opposition).

He's not a key player and probably won't become one, but he fills a nice little niche when not asked to play a role above his head: punishing other teams on the scoreboard for sending the goons/non-NHLers on their 4th-line over the boards.
Doesn't matter, we will agree to disagree. Just watch him very closely, he is always getting knocked off the puck. He is very very weak physically.

Old
11-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

I applaud his delusion. After all, I'm right in the middle of it too.

Old
11-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I applaud his delusion. After all, I'm right in the middle of it too.

Hey, I'm all for Gomez regaining his New Jersey form. A dangerous/motivated Gomez would be huge for this team.

I just don't see it happening, unfortunately.

Old
11-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Doesn't matter, we will agree to disagree. Just watch him very closely, he is always getting knocked off the puck. He is very very weak physically.
I have, and you're completely wrong. Yes, given his size, it will happen.
But he does a great job along the boards. He is a NHLer, and will remain one.

Old
11-10-2011, 04:22 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

Shhh...let me dream

Old
11-10-2011, 04:45 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I have, and you're completely wrong. Yes, given his size, it will happen.
But he does a great job along the boards. He is a NHLer, and will remain one.
Nope, you're wrong. Keep watching.

Old
11-10-2011, 04:47 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

A 2nd line centerman in the NHL is a guy who can put up 50ish points per season. Desharnais SHOULD be good on faceoffs and is solid enough defensively as well. Seems odd to me to just write him off.

Old
11-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

I think he can be an acceptable third wheel on a third line, basically the cheap semi-competent filler between two strong wingers like with Pacioretty-Kostitsyn or Cammalleri-Cole. Much like Gomez should be used as the third best guy to build a solid second line at this point (like between Pacioretty and Gionta for example). The top-nine filler guys like Desharnais, Darche and Moen who can play a certain complimentary role and are very good at a couple things while not be particularly strong overall hockey players are what allows a three line strategy to work.

The problem I think is that you can't expect Desharnais to lead anything stronger than an excellent 4th line at this point.

Old
11-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Nope, you're wrong. Keep watching.
No Kriss is right. He ain't that bad. He is not the strongest but like Gorges, he knows how to use his body to his advantage.

Old
11-10-2011, 05:03 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I think he can be an acceptable third wheel on a third line, basically the cheap semi-competent filler between two strong wingers like with Pacioretty-Kostitsyn or Cammalleri-Cole. Much like Gomez should be used as the third best guy to build a solid second line at this point (like between Pacioretty and Gionta for example). The top-nine filler guys like Desharnais, Darche and Moen who can play a certain complimentary role and are very good at a couple things while not be particularly strong overall hockey players are what allows a three line strategy to work.

The problem I think is that you can't expect Desharnais to lead anything stronger than an excellent 4th line at this point.
Disagree completely. He's a solid 3rd line player already in the NHL and could be a top 6 guy down the road.

Let me guess...Eller doesn't have the offensive instincts to be a top 6 forward either?

Old
11-10-2011, 05:04 PM
m00ks

Quote:
On the bright side, we get Gomez back for Saturday.

Guys?
Sweet. Maybe we can actually gain zone entry on the PP.

Old
11-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
A 2nd line centerman in the NHL is a guy who can put up 50ish points per season. Desharnais SHOULD be good on faceoffs and is solid enough defensively as well. Seems odd to me to just write him off.
When I refer to player roles I'm talking about matchups since that's the way Martin (and most coaches) uses personnel. So a first-line centre (Plekanec) is matched up against the opposition's best players, the 2nd-line generally plays the oppositions' 2nd-best, etc.

Last season Desharnais was used in 4th-line matchups with special teams time. This year it's been pretty much 3rd-line matchups with special teams. I doubt we'll see him being able to handle 2nd-line matchups in his career (he is 25 after all, right in the peak years for forwards).

Point totals aren't a bad proxy for player roles, but they can be deceiving with players racking up points against weak competition or struggling against very good opposition. For instance, last season I did not consider Ville Leino a 2nd-line player because he played a very sheltered, 3rd-line role with a lot of offensive zone faceoffs.

Old
11-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Jigger77

**** these injuries are starting to take the life out of me. Same **** every year. For once can we please see what this team really looks like?

Old
11-10-2011, 05:11 PM
ashtraygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
"Markov a visiblement du chemin à faire, lui qui ne semblait pas très à l'aise en situation un contre un face à Scott Gomez..."

http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...as-106619.html
Markov not looking comfortable facing Gomez one-on-one?

That's just super.

Old
11-10-2011, 05:12 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
When I refer to player roles I'm talking about matchups since that's the way Martin (and most coaches) uses personnel. So a first-line centre (Plekanec) is matched up against the opposition's best players, the 2nd-line generally plays the oppositions' 2nd-best, etc.

Last season Desharnais was used in 4th-line matchups with special teams time. This year it's been pretty much 3rd-line matchups with special teams. I doubt we'll see him being able to handle 2nd-line matchups in his career (he is 25 after all, right in the peak years for forwards).

Point totals aren't a bad proxy for player roles, but they can be deceiving with players racking up points against weak competition or struggling against very good opposition. For instance, last season I did not consider Ville Leino a 2nd-line player because he played a very sheltered, 3rd-line role with a lot of offensive zone faceoffs.
So for the last half dozen games or so Desharnais has been playing on a 3rd line, at even strength? Cammalleri and Cole have been their 3rd line? Teams have been happily putting their inferior lines against that line becuase it's a "3rd line" and Desharnais is on it?

I'm confused now.

Old
11-10-2011, 05:13 PM
RE-HABS

This line up looks great when healthy, but when injuries arise it looks awful!

Darche on the 2nd line, and no real depth in Hamilton to call up says Habs have a lot of work to do in regards to producing and developing some forwards.

Old
11-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Sweet. Maybe we can actually gain zone entry on the PP.
It will help for sure but we weren't that bad at entering the zone, especially last game. The problem is all the stupid passing with no real good shots.

I still think our PP lacks creativity. All the action is on the point guys. Last year, MaxPac scored many goals when he was on the left side of the goalie. We dont see those cross-ice pass from the D to the guy on the face-off circle for a one-timer anymore.

Closed Thread