HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

**** you Khabibulin. Habs lose 3-1.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2011, 12:41 AM
  #326
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,749
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
I agree with yo 100%, but we did have a great game defensively. We aren't expected to shutout every opponent. Our D gave our offense a chance to win and we didn't capitalize on anything. I agree that martin needs to make some small changes like taking Pleks off the point on the PP and take darche off the PP. I just find that Martin is very stubborn and tends to stick to what worked in the past. He needs to focus on the present but instead he makes zero adjustments.
That's Martin for you

Does really try things out
It's kinda said for me since when I see plek at the point sometimes I want him to fail just for Martin to relize that plek should not be at the point
You can are it on his face too
Not conferabe with the puck. He is making mistakes out there because of it. Like on the first goal last night poor pass leading to a goal
But what else can he do about it
He is not going to come out and say I hate being at the point. It's plek he is nicer then that.

I really would Luke to have seem somthing like 24/7 dine for last season for the team because I think it will show that the REAL coach was muller. Seeing how things is being run it's clear that most of the crative idea's were . from muller. Even look at this Season we would be screwed if we didn't have the randy's behind the bench talking to players and making plays.the last timeout showed that atleast we have people that showed life back there. I can tell you somthing I feel much safer having muller back there. Too bad The evil duo of PG and JM were here. Muller never really had a chance of sticking here because PG knew if the team sucked fans would call for muller to be head coach

Well that's my rant


Ps-I know there is some spelling mistakes but I tried my best for a phone

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:10 AM
  #327
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,749
vCash: 50
Some parts up there might not make sense since it's pretty late where I am. Just felt like letting some things out that have been on my mind

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:03 AM
  #328
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Yes, but the question is, does he make more sense than who he is in competition against?

who is it?

This Centerman situation is definately coming to a hilt IMO... Somethings gotta be done.
This is the question if you are the coach. I agree.

The question if you are the GM is "how do I build this team?"

The hockey fan question is "don't you learn from your mistakes, 10 or more years without being a legitimate Cup contender."

The centerman situation has been the same since they traded Damphousse. It has NEVER been addressed. I do not expect it to be addressed soon either.

Same old, same old.... rely on the goaltender, the PP and PK.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:55 AM
  #329
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Same old, same old.... rely on the goaltender, the PP and PK.
Except the part where they're outscoring 5-on-5 fairly heavily this season.

Every move the Habs have made since Carbo was fired has been geared towards making the team better 5-on-5. That part, at least, has been working.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:13 AM
  #330
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Except the part where they're outscoring 5-on-5 fairly heavily this season.

Every move the Habs have made since Carbo was fired has been geared towards making the team better 5-on-5. That part, at least, has been working.
Sadly it's also gone unnoticed by most, which tells us a lot about fans and so called experts.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:16 PM
  #331
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Except the part where they're outscoring 5-on-5 fairly heavily this season.

Every move the Habs have made since Carbo was fired has been geared towards making the team better 5-on-5. That part, at least, has been working.

Right direction, yes. But a far way from the target.

A small improvement from last place in 5 on 5 is nothing to rest your laurels on.

double post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Sadly it's also gone unnoticed by most, which tells us a lot about fans and so called experts.
I believe the bar should be set higher than "not the worst".


Last edited by overlords: 11-10-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:32 PM
  #332
Ollie Williams
Registered User
 
Ollie Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Right direction, yes. But a far way from the target.

A small improvement from last place in 5 on 5 is nothing to rest your laurels on.

double post



I believe the bar should be set higher than "not the worst".
I'm not sure I understand. So far this season we rank 14th in even strength goals for with 26. Last year we finished the season in 23rd spot in this category.

Consequently, our even strength goals against has remained at about the same place as we finished last season. We ended last season in 7th place in even strength goals against and so far we are 8th this season with just 21 goals against at 5 on 5.

To summarize, in ES GF, so far this season, we went from 23rd to 14th place, a 9 spot jump, all while keeping our ES GA numbers to a constant pace. How much is a "big improvement" in your world, if this is just a "small improvement" ?

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:52 PM
  #333
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
I'm not sure I understand. So far this season we rank 14th in even strength goals for with 26. Last year we finished the season in 23rd spot in this category.

Consequently, our even strength goals against has remained at about the same place as we finished last season. We ended last season in 7th place in even strength goals against and so far we are 8th this season with just 21 goals against at 5 on 5.

To summarize, in ES GF, so far this season, we went from 23rd to 14th place, a 9 spot jump, all while keeping our ES GA numbers to a constant pace. How much is a "big improvement" in your world, if this is just a "small improvement" ?


Especially since this resulted in being one of the strongest 5 on 5 teams in the league, I believe 7th currently, after that's been anywhere from average to a disaster for Montreal ever year since Rejean Houle.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 05:22 PM
  #334
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Every move the Habs have made since Carbo was fired has been geared towards making the team better 5-on-5. That part, at least, has been working.
how do you get to that conclusion?

Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri are all players who get a lot of their production from PP, none are particularly effective (or have been in their careers) at generating offense "on their own"...

none are particularly good defensively.


if anything, I'd say the bulk of our additions since 08-09 have been players whose greatest strengths are either PP/PK related

Spacek? 45pts yet -2 for the sabres in 08-09 (22pts on the PP), 3rd in ES TOI (but 1st in total TOI)

Gill? 6th on the pens in ES TOI



i'm not sure how you can make the case that we made moves directed at improving our ES, by bringing in players whose best contributions/assets are suited for specialty teams


meanwhile, we let Hamrlik (ES toi/g leader from 08-11) walk?

not sure your conclusion fits the actual roster moves...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 06:40 PM
  #335
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Right direction, yes. But a far way from the target.

A small improvement from last place in 5 on 5 is nothing to rest your laurels on
A "small" improvement that put their 5-on-5 goals-for/goals-against ratio at 7th in the league despite well-documented injury problems?

We're going to get very, very far with such "small" improvements.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 06:48 PM
  #336
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri are all players who get a lot of their production from PP, none are particularly effective (or have been in their careers) at generating offense "on their own"...
Where do you get that idea? Gomez and Gionta are 5-on-5 specialists. Gionta is quite good defensively. Cammalleri was among the league leaders in 5-on-5 goals his first year with the Habs despite missing a fair amount of time.

Montreal is ridiculously much better 5-on-5 now than they were in 2008-2009 in any way you care to measure: scoring differential, shots on goal, puck possession... it all points upwards.

If their power play shooting hadn't so comically failed them, they'd be golden.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:03 PM
  #337
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
how do you get to that conclusion?

Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri are all players who get a lot of their production from PP, none are particularly effective (or have been in their careers) at generating offense "on their own"...

none are particularly good defensively.


if anything, I'd say the bulk of our additions since 08-09 have been players whose greatest strengths are either PP/PK related

Spacek? 45pts yet -2 for the sabres in 08-09 (22pts on the PP), 3rd in ES TOI (but 1st in total TOI)

Gill? 6th on the pens in ES TOI



i'm not sure how you can make the case that we made moves directed at improving our ES, by bringing in players whose best contributions/assets are suited for specialty teams


meanwhile, we let Hamrlik (ES toi/g leader from 08-11) walk?

not sure your conclusion fits the actual roster moves...
Before coming to Montreal, all three of Cammalleri, Gionta and Gomez had relatively strong track records as even strength scorers, particularly when compared to the previous Montreal players like Koivu, Kovalev and Higgins who depended far more on the powerplay then any of the new guys. The best ES scoring forwards in Plekanec and Kostitsyn were retained.

ES scoring 2008-09
Cammalleri: 48 points, 22nd in league
Gionta: 45 points, 38th in league
Gomez: 40 points, 56th in league

All three in the top 60 of ESPs before coming to Montreal. Basically what you could call first line scorers at even strength. They had powerplay production too, but that's basically true for almost any top 90 scoring forward.

Gionta is basically the definition of a two-way winger. He's almost always deployed against good players and usually comes out ahead on aggregate. Gomez also had a good reputation and track record as a two way center before coming to Montreal (which he certainly filled in his first season after the trade).

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:12 PM
  #338
hockey8888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pandora
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
stupid people keep doing the same thing but expect a different result
that's the three idiot amigo - Martin, Gauthier, & Gainey

hockey8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.