HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXVII (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2011, 11:32 AM
fufonzo

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Agreed with those who think the Flyers are at fault here. They're just being babies because they're not smart enough to get around the defence. Instead they sit around, pout and protest.

Makes me think of the OWS crowd in a way

If the refs don't want to call a penalty, blow the whistle quickly and get a draw in the Philly end.

The Flyers won't be doing it for very long if they keep having to take defensive zone faceoffs.

Old
11-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Agreed with those who think the Flyers are at fault here. They're just being babies because they're not smart enough to get around the defence. Instead they sit around, pout and protest.

If the refs don't want to call a penalty, blow the whistle quickly and get a draw in the Philly end.

The Flyers won't be doing it for very long if they keep having to take defensive zone faceoffs.
I think they deserve a penalty. They are the ones with the puck, they are supposed to attack. What makes me laugh are the idiots saying TB is at home, blablabla.
Seriously, I never thougth people watching hockey were so dumb. This year is really bad imo.

Old
11-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think they deserve a penalty. They are the ones with the puck, they are supposed to attack. What makes me laugh are the idiots saying TB is at home, blablabla.
Seriously, I never thougth people watching hockey were so dumb. This year is really bad imo.
Penalty for what? What ever side your on.. neither team should get a penalty.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:13 PM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Penalty for what? What ever side your on.. neither team should get a penalty.
Delay of game.

Here is a great article on the game last night. Calls out the Versus crew as well.
http://boltprospects.com/content/nhl...yers-lightning

Old
11-10-2011, 12:14 PM
JuJu Mobb

Niklas Hagman on waivers (CGY)...

What's left from that Phaneuf trade?

Old
11-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post
Niklas Hagman on waivers (CGY)...

What's left from that Phaneuf trade?
The healthy scratch Matt Stajan. Can't believe someone actually defended that one in favor of the Flames

Old
11-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Protest the Hero

I like that Philly was making a mockery of Tampa's style of play. Can you imagine if Jacques Martin the idiot did that instead of Boucher the great.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
holyhabs87

Philly made a mockery of themselves. Like the spoiled little kid on the playground who doesnt like how the game is being played so he takes his ball and goes home. Laviolette cost his team a point with that poor coaching decision.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:28 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I like that Philly was making a mockery of Tampa's style of play. Can you imagine if Jacques Martin the idiot did that instead of Boucher the great.

So true. I like Boucher, great personality for a coach, but man, no forecheck?

For the NHLs sake this isn't good. And I don't blame Laviolette at all, in fact I admire his balls, considering Philly was the road team, he put the onus on Tampa to do something....

I mean how do you expect them to move the puck up the ice without turning it over? Of course it's in his teams best interest to just wait for Tampa to make a move...

Old
11-10-2011, 12:30 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
The healthy scratch Matt Stajan. Can't believe someone actually defended that one in favor of the Flames
Well, here's the thing: the main asset from that trade was really Ian White who, despite all the hype surrounding Phaneuf and his hittiness, might well have been the best player in the deal. The Flames, though, decided they didn't like him. White is now doing quite well as a Red Wing.

The trade itself wasn't that bad, but Sutter really did not handle the resulting assets well, which is why the Flames look pretty stupid now, especially with Toronto's record being about a mile above their actual level of play.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:31 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

I really don't mind what the Flyers did. In fact, I find it funny. That's not delay of game, they can do whatever they want with the puck, heck they can even shoot in their own nets, but they can't stand still with it? Nah, it's all good in my books.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
And I don't blame Laviolette at all, in fact I admire his balls, ...
You admire his balls? gross

Old
11-10-2011, 12:39 PM
holyhabs87

Quote:

So true. I like Boucher, great personality for a coach, but man, no forecheck?

For the NHLs sake this isn't good. And I don't blame Laviolette at all, in fact I admire his balls, considering Philly was the road team, he put the onus on Tampa to do something....

I mean how do you expect them to move the puck up the ice without turning it over? Of course it's in his teams best interest to just wait for Tampa to make a move...
How is it not in Tampa's best interest to keep the puck 90 feet away from their net?

Tampa was 23rd in goals against and gave up 31 shots per game playing without two of its top dmen. Philly was the highest scoring team in the league. The outcome: Philly scored 1 goal on 15 shots and lost the game. Pretty clear who lost the coaching battle. Lavy took his players out of a rhythm.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post

I'm also on the side that thinks the Flyers are more responsible on this issue. I not certain that a penalty should be called on either team unless they do what the Flyers did on the first run through of that situation, ie/. the player 'with' the puck, his stick and the puck all remain next to motionless for a certain amount of time. If that happens, I wouldn't object to a call being made.

If, like the other situations, the Flyers move the puck around a minimal amount, I wouldn't call a penalty on that, but a whistle and a faceoff in the zone the puck is resting/stuck in sounds okay if something 'must' be done about it ('must' as defined by the rules, if the league feels this tactic has gone on too much and want to resolve it). That way, if someone sits all their players in the defensive zone and the team with the puck stand with the puck in the neutral zone, you get a neutral zone faceoff. The team with the puck wouldn't be forced back further than they were willing to go with it and play could be resumed.

If nothing is done to prevent such tactics, there isn't really a team that is wrong if the Flyers D play catch for a bit and the Bolts hold position and watch. Don't get me wrong, it's boring as hell to watch and doesn't reflect too well on the sport, but you can't point at one team and say that they are the ones that are flat out wrong. And sending a player from each team to the box would do what? Probably nothing more than set up a repeat of that situation with different players.

As for the Flyers not being smart enough to combat the 1-3-1, I disagree with that statement. You may be able to interpret that from their actions, but they are clearly capable of breaking down the defensive formation put in front of them. The Flyers are tied for 4th overall in the NHL at this time. They have the highest goals per game average and the most goals scored outright in the league right now. They have two future hall of famers on their team. They have two players in the top 20 points scorers in the league, 1 top 20 goal scorer in the league and 3 top 20 assists leaders in the league. They have an established coach who has won the Stanley Cup before. Of all the teams in the league most likely to break down that defensive formation, surely the Flyers should be one of the teams most likely, most capable of doing so?

But it is the Flyers choice if they are still moving the puck and the league has no rule in place to prevent what either team were doing. They can choose not to attack the opposing defensive formation for now but I don't see why they should complain about the Bolts. If you don't like what someone is doing, and then essentially copy that behaviour, you can't turn round and call them out on it. Where does that leave you standing?

So perhaps introducing a whistle/faceoff rule when such play occurs will be the way to go. It restarts the game and gives the team that had the puck the chance to attack the other team without them setting up that formation. But I wouldn't want to see a team just refuse to play whenever they feel like it. Maybe the faceoff solution could be applied a certain number of times, along with a verbal warning to the coach. Receive a certain number of verbal warnings and a penalty will then be given to the team with the puck.

Sure, the trap is dull and hockey would be more exciting without it but I don't see how you can call a team for preparing to defend against an attack. If a team wants to employ a defensive/passive system, especially at home then they may well end up paying for it in other ways.

Quote:
I mean how do you expect them to move the puck up the ice without turning it over?
By employing a radical strategy of studying their opponent and the coaching staff formulating a play (or plays) that allows them to break through their oppositions ranks with the puck using the strengths and abilities of the players they have at their disposal?

IE/. they do what they are payed to do.

I'd love to see some of the great battles throughout history, as directed by NHL coaches. " OMG - they have archers AND men with pikes! How will our men on horseback get past THAT? Lets just sit here a while and see who drops dead from boredom first. That way, we have a 50/50 chance of winning this battle! Hang on. WTF is a trebuchet?"

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 11-10-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: slightly changed my wording - replied to quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:42 PM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Well, here's the thing: the main asset from that trade was really Ian White who, despite all the hype surrounding Phaneuf and his hittiness, might well have been the best player in the deal. The Flames, though, decided they didn't like him. White is now doing quite well as a Red Wing.

The trade itself wasn't that bad, but Sutter really did not handle the resulting assets well, which is why the Flames look pretty stupid now, especially with Toronto's record being about a mile above their actual level of play.
Ian White is amazing!! Remember when Leaf fans didn't want to trade him for Plekanec? bahaha

Old
11-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

Main asset? You mean that went CGY's way, right? As opposed to White being the 'main asset' above Phaneuf?

I think the trade actually was that bad. If I recall correctly, Stajan and White were both impending UFAs, were they not? And Hagman had a large contract, too. Trading down is generally a bad idea as far as value goes, too. And while Phaneuf has struggled, he's still a very talented and capable defenseman who can be part of a team's core. None of the players that went CGY's way were core--including White. As serviceable as White is in a second pairing situation (and, I'll add that I think he's under appreciated), his type is readily available on the market, which is why he's spent time in three cities since leaving Calgary.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:47 PM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I really don't mind what the Flyers did. In fact, I find it funny. That's not delay of game, they can do whatever they want with the puck, heck they can even shoot in their own nets, but they can't stand still with it? Nah, it's all good in my books.
I just said delay of game because the refs had to stop play once, give Laviolette a warning about what they were doing wrong and then had to stop play again after the warning and talk to him again. But again, there really hasn't been a situation like that so I think the two offensive zone faceoffs Tampa got from it was sufficient.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Main asset? You mean that went CGY's way, right? As opposed to White being the 'main asset' above Phaneuf?

I think the trade actually was that bad. If I recall correctly, Stajan and White were both impending UFAs, were they not? And Hagman had a large contract, too. Trading down is generally a bad idea as far as value goes, too. And while Phaneuf has struggled, he's still a very talented and capable defenseman who can be part of a team's core. None of the players that went CGY's way were core--including White. As serviceable as White is in a second pairing situation (and, I'll add that I think he's under appreciated), his type is readily available on the market, which is why he's spent time in three cities since leaving Calgary.
and to make it worse the Leafs even received a solid prospect in Aulie, horrible trade by Calgary

Old
11-10-2011, 12:53 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
How is it not in Tampa's best interest to keep the puck 90 feet away from their net?

let's say, hypothetically, that the standoff lasted for all 60 minutes of regulation. Philly would have earned themselves a road point, as well as a chance for an extra point in OT once the sides were switched to 4 on 4.

Tampa on the other hand, insulted their fanbase, and at home, should be going for the win...

Old
11-10-2011, 12:57 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I liked White a lot when he was a Leaf. I thought he was certainly the best thing going the Flames' way in that deal, but it never panned out that way. It looks like they've finally found a role for Stajan but he struggled mightily for the last year or so.

That said, it was plainly obvious to anyone that Calgary was mostly getting a pile of spare parts back. It's not like White was going to turn into a Norris winner or Stajan was going to put up 80 next to Iginla. Like Mike8 said, they got nothing that couldn't be found pretty easily on the UFA market. Even if Phaneuf had a big contract and was rumoured to be a problem in the room, I still have to think you could get better value than that.

Kind of reminds me of the Thornton trade a few years ago where you wonder if the GM even bothered to work the phones or drive the price up a little.

Old
11-10-2011, 01:12 PM
MathMan

Quote:
I think the trade actually was that bad. If I recall correctly, Stajan and White were both impending UFAs, were they not?
They were both RFA I think.

Quote:
Trading down is generally a bad idea as far as value goes, too. And while Phaneuf has struggled, he's still a very talented and capable defenseman who can be part of a team's core.
Thing is, at the time, Ian White was a better overall D-man than Phaneuf and was making a lot less money to do it. And if Phaneuf wasn't having an early-season surge and getting overhyped by his coach's best-defenseman-in-NHL talk, I'm not entirely sure the gap between them would look all that large. With Phaneuf you really have to separate the reputation with the effectiveness; White will never be nominated for the Norris, but Phaneuf never had any business being nominated either. He has been pretty iffy for the Leafs until this year, while White is doing very well with the Red Wings in that quietly-dominating-possession way the Wings always do. And he's being paid a lot less to do it.

If the Flames had kept White, this trade would look an awful lot better.

Old
11-10-2011, 01:31 PM
pine*

Calgary is having some **** management.

Horrible trades. This team is going down the drain.

Old
11-10-2011, 01:35 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Calgary is having some **** management.

Horrible trades. This team is going down the drain.
Habs are just behind them.

Old
11-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Qui Gon Dave

I don't watch a lot of Sportsnet feeds or the Oilers due to the time difference. Having watched their intro to the Oilers/Bruins game, I feel I have to ask, does that guy (whoever he was) always talk like he's presenting a kids tv show?

He also reminded me of someone else, I'll see if I can find a clip on youtube...

Edit: can't find the clip. Has anyone seen a vhs video called Hockey's Hardest Hitters hosted by Harry Neale, came out in the late 80's, early 90's? They had some over the top radio DJ on part of it, the Sportsnet guy reminded me of him. At least the version over here did. Found some clips on youtube from it but it was hosted by someone else (Joe Bowen?) and had bits missing from the version I have.

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 11-10-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old
11-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I don't watch a lot of Sportsnet feeds or the Oilers due to the time difference. Having watched their intro to the Oilers/Bruins game, I feel I have to ask, does that guy (whoever he was) always talk like he's presenting a kids tv show?
Yes he does.

I can post a lot of videos but I will just post a recent one.

Closed Thread