HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

#15 Kings v Preds 11/8/11 - WIN ! POST GAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
11-10-2011, 05:55 PM
markisonfire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Skill does no good when you can't harness it. That's the whole reason I never wanted us to get him in the first place and was so adamant at the time we would hate this trade. He has the skill, but he rarely displays it.

But skill doesn't just disappear like that in one year. A year ago he was still showing his usual 1-2 flashes a week of what he could do. That didn't magically disappear at his age, it's just not coming out anymore. Why? Coaching? Perhaps? Penner being Penner? Maybe. Linemates? Unlikely. Confidence? Likely a part of it.

Remember this goal? It was just 10 months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyOIRTavAaU

Nice hands huh? Those haven't disappeared, they're still there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye2cB...eature=related

The finish wasn't good, but the drive and skating were pretty damn good for a big guy. That's 18 months ago. That didn't just disappear either.

And I like this Penner goal. Nice wheels, nice hands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXdSg9cGFYs

That's all still there. Those are all from within the last 18 months and at the age of 29, he isn't getting to old to show it. It's up to Penner, his linemates and the coaching staff to make it come to the forefront again.
We're essentially arguing the same thing at this point. He hasn't shown any of that skill this season. Not one bit. It seems that in Penner's case, at least so far, that skill has just up and disappeared. It is frustrating knowing what he can do and then seeing him play so poorly for us. Maybe it is a lack of confidence, but man, he looks bad.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:43 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Unfortunately, yes, I was. Calder - Stoll - Brown was sadly one of our best lines at one point.

What do you want me to say? He was one of the worst players on the ice in terms of skill. He is a big body and that is about it. He can't control the puck or make a pass. Hell, he can hardly shoot and stay up on his feet. I want him to succeed as badly as everyone else, but damn, I'm not seeing it. Even when it is apparently his best game of the season
Unfortunately, I'm seeing exactly the same things you are.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:45 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Penners skills as he always has, the only difference that I see is that he is having massive troubles adjusting to TM's "system". His skating if anything has improved since his days in Edm. He is coming around slowly.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote