HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pattern for snap shots?

Old
11-10-2011, 06:00 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Pattern for snap shots?

Hi,

Which Bauer curve is considered the best for snap shots?

I've played for about 11 years now and have started to play with Bauer gear this year when my team is sponsored by them.

I've played with the reebok curve 19 and the Bauer p92 before, but Now when I'm older (16) and have a more specific role on the team and style of playing the game I would like to know what curve is, as I said, best for snappers.

This season I've tried the p88. Of course its always a little tricky with a new curve, but I would say I'm quite familiar with it now.

P88 (IMO)

+Great for low accurate shots.
+Good when you want to lean in to your stick to press your shot away using the kick.
-Quite short blade
-Not great for going top shelf
-Not great for rising one-timers
-Bad slap shots

P92 (IMO)

+Longer blade
+Better for going top shelf
+Better for rising one-timers and slap shots.
-Not as accurate
-The puck seem to flutter when leaning in to the stick to press the shot away.

In short, which curve fit in on my needs (+).

I've been thinking about the p106?

I'm Swedish by the way, so I don't know all the terms and such, but I hope you understand my post anyway.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 06:30 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
There's no one curve that's better for snap shots, it's all personal preference and technique. With the way I shoot I'd say I have similar snappers with the P92, P91A and P106, and slightly worse snappers with the P88, but again, it's just personal preference. If the puck is fluttering for you when using a P92 (or any curve, really) then it's just a technique issue, focus on shooting from the mid blade, not opening up the blade when you're shooting, and really snapping/rolling your wrists on the release to get some nice spin on the shot.

Sakic clones like the P92 are the most popular retail curves (at least in North America), and I find that I shoot best with them (though honestly I shoot similarly well with many different curves), but that doesn't necessarily mean they're the best choice for you, it really depends on your technique/personal preference. If you want a long blade I'd stay away from the P106, with the way it's shaped/the big rocker it plays like a pretty small blade for me.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:23 AM
hyster110

i know for me the most accurate curve i use is the PM9 can put the puck anywhere

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:48 AM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
There's no one curve that's better for snap shots, it's all personal preference and technique. With the way I shoot I'd say I have similar snappers with the P92, P91A and P106, and slightly worse snappers with the P88, but again, it's just personal preference. If the puck is fluttering for you when using a P92 (or any curve, really) then it's just a technique issue, focus on shooting from the mid blade, not opening up the blade when you're shooting, and really snapping/rolling your wrists on the release to get some nice spin on the shot.

Sakic clones like the P92 are the most popular retail curves (at least in North America), and I find that I shoot best with them (though honestly I shoot similarly well with many different curves), but that doesn't necessarily mean they're the best choice for you, it really depends on your technique/personal preference. If you want a long blade I'd stay away from the P106, with the way it's shaped/the big rocker it plays like a pretty small blade for me.
But doesn't different curves have different benefits?

P92 great for puck handling
P02 slap shots

Some are great for covering the puck, som are for passing

Ok, you can't automatically do those things better, but it's easier I think

Old
11-11-2011, 02:32 AM
McDuul

The pm9 is wonderful.

McDuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:17 AM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
The pm9 is wonderful.
In what way? There are players on my team that use the pm9, but I've never played with it myself. The curve is very small right?

Old
11-11-2011, 08:26 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post

P02 slap shots

Technically, an open curve is going to be easier to get higher shots due to loft, and a deeper curve can cradle the puck more, but as ponder said, there isn't a curve that is 'best' in its category for everyone; that's up to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
The pm9 is wonderful.
If you're not going to back up your argument, it's not going anywhere.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Honestly I like the P92 for snappers, P91 to a lesser extent. The P92 lets me cup the puck and has loft so I can lean in and whip the stick quickly. Puck usually goes in just under the bar or halfway up unless I make a quick passing type shot. P91 gives me an even faster/harder shot but I don't like it as much for passing and stickhandling.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 07:57 PM
1stoverall

Personally i like the backstrom for snappers because i can get the puck up high so fast in close

1stoverall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:18 PM
mhkehoe

If you didn't like the P88, you definitely won't like the PM9 for your needs. It has very little curve, and takes a lot more work to get any height on a shot. The PM9 tends to suit (there are exceptions) defensemen (where you don't want the shot to rise), playmakers, and people who like to use their backhand (my reason for liking it).

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:34 PM
IDuck

ive used 3 different patterns so im probably not the best one to answer this but the "sakic" or any other name for it is what i probably will always use... ive tried the a version of the P88 and PM9 and always gone back to the P92 because i just didnt feel comfortable with them....so i guess for me and what always seems to be the case when it comes to sticks/equipment is that its all about personal comfort

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:50 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post

P02 slap shots

I would say some curves are definitely better or worse when it comes to backhands (less curve and less loft = better for backhands), but for pretty much everything else it's all personal preference and depends on your specific technique. The guy with the best snapper on my team uses an Iginla curve (short, closed mid curve), which I personally can't stand, but it works great for him. No way to know if you like a curve until you try it.

With that being said, Sakic clones like the P92 are the most popular curves on the market for a reason, because they work for a lot of people. Sounds like the P92 works decently for you except for your shot fluttering, but that's not really a curve issue, more of a technique issue. To fix this you want to make sure you're that really shooting from the curve's sweet spot (mid blade on a mid curve, mid-heel on a heel curve), snapping/rolling your wrists on the follow through, using the flex of the shaft for power, and that you're not opening up your blade while shooting.

Old
11-13-2011, 08:15 PM
forbs02
Blergh

P14! It's a beauty for snap shots. Kind of sucks for backhand though.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Ponder is right. There are pros and cons to all patterns but as far as snappers go it doesn't make much difference what you use but your preference will depend on you own technique.

Point of contact for a snap shot is in very tight to the heel of the stick. All sticks are pretty much the same right at the heel.

I use a fairly long stick by current standards (at my nose in sock feet). When I have time to get off a good snapper my tendency is to draw the puck in with the toe of my stick and then release it off the heel from in tight to my body. This allows me to change my release point by about a foot and half and helps me find a shooting lane in traffic.

Preference for my style is a open heel curve with a larger than average hook. Not sure which Bauer pattern that suits. I use a TPS R8 with 061 Nash.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I take snappers right where the curve starts. For me on the P92 that's the mid. There's just a hair of heel-to-toe rolling in my shot and it's mostly push-pull with a bit of stick whip. I get pretty decent velocity but I rely on quick release to beat the goalie.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Here's about a dozen quick shots I took this AM to give you a visual. Cheers!

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:03 AM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post

Thanks. Sweet place for practicing on your shot!

Old
11-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post

I agree on this being a nice set-up.

Also, thanks for the video. It inspired me to going back to practicing the snap shot and actually really helped. Before, I would try to bring it from behind my body rather from the side. After a few attempts in warm-ups, I accidentally head-shotted a goalie that couldn't react in time from above the circles and then knocked his water bottle a few feet at the end.

Pattern is all preference. I use the P91a from Bauer (open wedge, heel to mid-heel depending on Brand) and it works for me.

Clarkington III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Guffaw

There's no free lunch. You'll have to spend hundreds on various sticks to find what you like. Ask me how I know

-Iginla SE6-meh
-Sakic S7-too heavy
-Sakic EQ30-fell apart
-Sakic S15(amazing and swear I dent the crossbar with my wrist shot)
-Heatley S15-on the way and hoping the lower lie is the trick. I skate low.

Once I find my perfect stick I'll go S19/RS

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:03 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
There's no free lunch. You'll have to spend hundreds on various sticks to find what you like. Ask me how I know

-Iginla SE6-meh
-Sakic S7-too heavy
-Sakic EQ30-fell apart
-Sakic S15(amazing and swear I dent the crossbar with my wrist shot)
-Heatley S15-on the way and hoping the lower lie is the trick. I skate low.

Once I find my perfect stick I'll go S19/RS
Or get a good shaft and just buy blades

Old
11-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Trojan35

Loved the PM9 for accuracy and backhands, but alas its super-low 5 lie gave me too much trouble fishing pucks out of my feet/catching passes in my skates. If you're a short guy I'd rock a pm9 all day. At 6'2", the 5 lie was too low for me.

I'd say it depends how you do your snap shot. If you push it straight forward and then rip one, curve won't really matter any more than it does on other shots. If you perform your snapper by pulling the puck slightly towards yourself such as a toe-drag into a shot, I've found a toe curve makes it easier to pull off. Try the Toews (P14) for a mid-toe curve, but the open-face takes some getting used to.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote