Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Imports Debate

Old
11-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Brock

vCash: 500
Imports Debate

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...f-imports.html

Just something I've been thinking about lately. Do you think the time has come to open the league to more European players?

Old
11-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...f-imports.html

Just something I've been thinking about lately. Do you think the time has come to open the league to more European players?
I would rather see a team being able to hold the rights to 3 players but only 2 on their roster.
This way it may allow a team to actually fill both spots. At the present time a lot of teams "can't" afford to have 2 imports on a team.
The transfer agreements can be vey expensive and if a CHL has an alternative then the transfer agreement may be cheaper.
Also by increasing the roster spots to include more Europeans, it increases the insurance costs (ie: OHIP) back to the CHL team.

But as a purely hockey decision....heck ya!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:14 PM
cfaub

If you allow teams to draft 3 imports then they have to be allowed to play 3 imports and I have no problem with that. I know some look at it as a way to retaing the rights to some of the Euros drafted from the CHL while still be allowed to make their selection in case the drafted player does not return but I think that needs to be handled separately.

Draft 3 and allowed to play 3 IMO but I would eliminate the second round altogether since very few teams actually draft kids in the second round of the import draft.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 06:44 AM
fanofdo

I am against it. As mentioned, it is hard to argue it from a pure hockey perspective. Currently not all the teams can consistently get two to play for them - does adding a third further separate some of the have teams from the have not?

Another issue is the cost of bringing over import players - adding additional players to the mix will continue to drive costs up, but just as importantly, take money away from domestic programs. Right now Junior hockey is a great value - that does seem to be changing is some locations with complaints of rising ticket prices. Fans that are supporting struggling teams look to unfilled import slots right now - and not all the imports are stellar. In fact there are quite a few poor to mediocre players and they get more than their fair share of chances to play because what has been invested, while north american players that are as good or better ride the pine.

There are many examples of undrafted players doing very in the OHL and even on to the NHL. Could these players have been left off an OHL roster with that spot being taken up by a third import?

fanofdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:27 AM
SimonTemplar

Fanofdo bring over more would actually lower costs.

The simple fact Hockey Canada has seen major drop in players coming into minor hockey is one reason it may have to happen. The changing demographics of Canada along with dropping birth rates is a double whammy they knew was coming.

IF you allow the league talent to drop too much it gets very watered down and that has already happened other places. Allowing 3 imports would make up for declining enrollment in Canadian talent that will really be noticed in major junior in a few years.

This goes back to USA players and when fans were against that. It's the same thing and now look at CHL with all the US kids....much higher talent on teams now.

Yes raise it to 3.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:47 AM
cheerupmurray

It would obviously raise the standard of candaian junior hockey with more imports, it would be bad for european hockey though.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote