HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eklund Rumours Thread: Enter at your own risk v2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2011, 06:26 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Kostitsyn: very good shot, very good passer, can throw the body around, very good hands.

One dimensional.

Lol.
I'm not passing any comment about his dimensions but how often have you seen him even take a wrist shot. Or a slapshot? He never sets up for those kinda shots anymore.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:56 AM
sheed36

I guess since there aren't many Eklund rumours regarding the Habs at the moment we'll use this thread to discuss Andrei Kostitsyn's future now.

Old
11-08-2011, 01:44 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Not in the habit of accepting deals where otherwise adds a twist and then confirms, but sure, I'll give you "even" as well.

But no point caveat.

If he goes on fire, lucky for me...
If he goes into a bad slump and/or JM's doghouse, lucky for you...

Injury reasonable since it can dramatically change things far more than even a 15-20pt+ swing in either direction from his current pace
Without a point range, it kinda defeats the whole purpose of the discussion and the bet. my whole argument hinged on him staying at his current pace.

If he somehow explodes and pulls off a 70-75 point season (which is a 15-20 point swing form his pace of 56), then yeah, I'd admit 4.5M+ suddenly becomes a very real possibility.

Old
11-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Without a point range, it kinda defeats the whole purpose of the discussion and the bet. my whole argument hinged on him staying at his current pace.

If he somehow explodes and pulls off a 70-75 point season (which is a 15-20 point swing form his pace of 56), then yeah, I'd admit 4.5M+ suddenly becomes a very real possibility.
then what's the point in the bet?

I'm confident that A.Kost, barring injury, will be worth 4-5M$ next season, easy.

of course, if he regresses terribly, puts up a 25pt season b/c of benchings/awful play, then he won't get that much.

likewise, if he goes on a crazy tear, like cammalleri did in CGY, and finishes the season with 40g/80pts, he'll cash in even greater than 5M$.

but that's the whole point, isn't it? I believe A.Kost is a player good enough to earn a 4-5M$ deal next year, whereas you seem to think he's only getting 4.5M if he gets "stupid money", and that even 4.25M would be a "generous offer".

i think that's crazy, both b/c of his current level, and b/c his current 3.25M$ is purely a reflection of having been an RFA (had he signed a UFA deal last summer, he'd have already been in the 4-4.5M$ range with his play last year).

so either you put your willing to stick by your proclamations, or you aren't. hedging it with point ranges takes away any of value of making a bet in the first place.

if you really don't think Kost is a 4-5M$ player on the UFA market, then you shouldn't be worried that he'll have a 60-70pt season, now should you?

Old
11-08-2011, 05:24 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I guess since there aren't many Eklund rumours regarding the Habs at the moment we'll use this thread to discuss Andrei Kostitsyn's future now.
I agree with this guy.

Keep your conversations regarding anything not Eklund-rumour related to PM's or their appropriate threads.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
11-11-2011, 12:31 PM
sheed36

Here's what EK added to the end of his blog last night.. Habs and Canes?

Quote:
However, in the modst of all this I continued to hear of a major deal involving first Montreal and Carolina and then Carolina and San Jose. Hope to have more on that in the am.

Old
11-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Eric Staal I heard Cole misses him

Old
11-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Carolina might actually make as much sense as anywhere, as a landing spot for Gomez. A non-cap team, where Gomez's salary matters more than his cap hit over the last couple years of his contract. As far as I can tell, they need a 2nd center badly. They have a surplus of checking forwards, an area where Montreal could improve.

Old
11-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Carolina might actually make as much sense as anywhere, as a landing spot for Gomez. A non-cap team, where Gomez's salary matters more than his cap hit over the last couple years of his contract. As far as I can tell, they need a 2nd center badly. They have a surplus of checking forwards, an area where Montreal could improve.
Maybe, and they have been trying to move Ruutu which would be a good fit here

Old
11-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Why would they be desperate for a #2 center with Ruuttu and Jokinen as options? They also have Sutter and Staal. Center is actually a strength, plus Skinner played there in junior I think.

Old
11-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why would they be desperate for a #2 center with Ruuttu and Jokinen as options? They also have Sutter and Staal. Center is actually a strength, plus Skinner played there in junior I think.
Ruutu and Jokinen are both wingers, only used at center for lack of other options. Sutter is still a #3.

Old
11-11-2011, 05:55 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Ruutu and Jokinen are both wingers, only used at center for lack of other options. Sutter is still a #3.
And i doubt Stall ever plays on the top-9 of any team.

Old
11-11-2011, 06:20 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
And Montreal doesn't ??????

Old
11-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
And Montreal doesn't ??????
Where have you been the last 3 weeks? Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller is just fine when everybody is healthy, plus it's not like Gomez creates anymore offense than those 3 anyways.

Old
11-11-2011, 07:24 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Where have you been the last 3 weeks? Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller is just fine when everybody is healthy, plus it's not like Gomez creates anymore offense than those 3 anyways.
Alrighty, if you say so.

Old
11-11-2011, 08:03 PM
FeelsLike93

For what its worth, heres a excerpt (sp?) from Eric Engels blog as it could possibly relate to a Gomez trade (basically saying he was in fact a healthy scratch last night as he was given the green light early yesterday. He was scratched EVEN with Cammy and Ak out, that says something...

"6) Alright, I've waited this long to get into it, but here goes:

Scott Gomez was given the green light, earlier yesterday.

I can appreciate that a player that suffers an impact injury usually has a chance to test things out with a little contact in practice before drawing back into a game situation.

That said, I'd imagine if it were up to Gomez, he'd have played last night. Most players who get green lit play.

So if Gomez wanted to wait to test things out in practice, well that's a disturbing caveat to add to his already impressive Montreal resume.

But I don't believe that's the case.

And if Martin sat him as a healthy scratch, even with Cammalleri and Kostitsyn sidelined, how would he have explained the decision after a loss?

Obviously, the Canadiens won, so no big deal, right?

And secondly, of course, if challenged, Martin would've used his out and suggested Gomez didn't have a chance to practice with contact, but will today and then join his teammates for the game in Nashville."

Old
11-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
And i doubt Stall ever plays on the top-9 of any team.
What prompted you to say anything as ludicrous as that? Even if you had put in a your post still wouldn't make any sense. What did you have in mind?

Old
11-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You wouldn't concede that in some games Desharnais is a liability? That's really seeing things through rose colored glasses. Saying that Gomez has been a liability doesn't equate with saying that Desharnais has been an asset.

I think we should be less exuberant in clapping for a team that has lost more games than it has won, and that applies to the players individually. I'm glad that Pacioretty has recovered and is scoring, I'm pleased with Kostitsyn so far, and I'm more than pleased with Moen.

Old
11-11-2011, 10:00 PM
sammy d

Pure speculation by Engels, theres no way Martin would sit Gomez if he could play with the injuries we have.

Old
11-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
Pure speculation by Engels, theres no way Martin would sit Gomez if he could play with the injuries we have.
Also pure speculation by you unless you've spoken to Martin and Gomez personally.

Engels is not a rumour blogger and he usually stays away from those stories. I do believe that there is something very bizarre in this whole story.

Old
11-11-2011, 10:20 PM
FeelsLike93

How? He writes blogs he doesnt write rumors like eklund or other people. He states facts. He says "Gomez was given the green light early yesterday". He didnt say "i think Gomez couldve played yesterday", or "there was word Gomez may have been ready to go"

It was Martins decision to sit him. Maybe he wanted him to get in a good practice first, who knows

Old
11-11-2011, 10:48 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Eric Staal I heard Cole misses him
Right now it looks more like Staal misses Cole.

Old
11-12-2011, 12:03 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You wouldn't concede that in some games Desharnais is a liability? That's really seeing things through rose colored glasses. Saying that Gomez has been a liability doesn't equate with saying that Desharnais has been an asset.

I think we should be less exuberant in clapping for a team that has lost more games than it has won, and that applies to the players individually. I'm glad that Pacioretty has recovered and is scoring, I'm pleased with Kostitsyn so far, and I'm more than pleased with Moen.
Desharnais is not a perfect option but at least with Gomez's cap hit off the books we have the possibility of actually upgrading that position if the opportunity arises. I don't see Gomez as far superior to Desharnais. He's been less productive than DD since he joined the team with far more icetime and generally better linemates. Gomez is better in some aspects but thats not worth the difference in salary.

Old
11-12-2011, 05:42 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Desharnais is not a perfect option but at least with Gomez's cap hit off the books we have the possibility of actually upgrading that position if the opportunity arises. I don't see Gomez as far superior to Desharnais. He's been less productive than DD since he joined the team with far more icetime and generally better linemates. Gomez is better in some aspects but thats not worth the difference in salary.
Gomez is far, far superior to DD.

Old
11-12-2011, 06:26 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I am clueless as why some of you think DD is better than Gomez. It just blows my mind. Have you listened to the experts ? Am by experts i mean anyone but the english hater Michel Bergeron ?

Closed Thread