HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Budaj to start Saturday - Gomez in, Kostitsyn out, Cammalleri gametime decision

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
Ugh, can JM's love with Desharnais stop already? Give Eller to Cole and Pacioretty...

Old
11-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Ugh, can JM's love with Desharnais stop already? Give Eller to Cole and Pacioretty...
He can earn it. Plekanec got the same treatment originally and proved he can produce with trash on his wings.

Old
11-11-2011, 01:50 PM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
The lines used going into a game, mean almost nothing...JM will change the lines tomorrow night by the time the second period starts...man that must drive the players nuts...

Old
11-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Why can't Martin keep what's working in tact? Why split up Darche-Nokelainen-Blunden line? Why put Eller in there when he's proven he can be a top 2 centre, AHEAD of Desharnais?

These lines better change very early into the game. Then again, watch Desharnais feed Pacioretty the puck for two quick goals in the opening five minutes.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
11-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
He can earn it. Plekanec got the same treatment originally and proved he can produce with trash on his wings.
What exactly has Desharnais done to "earn" his spot with 2 of our best wingers?

Old
11-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
What exactly has Desharnais done to "earn" his spot with 2 of our best wingers?
The way I see it is that the only to have Desharnais be productive is to put him in the position. It is not to say he earned, but rather that if he is to be on the team, it's the only place where he can be successful. If anything I see it as a compliment to Eller. Eller is much more versatile than Desharnais and while I agree it sucks and that I wish Eller can take his place, I just think JM trusts that Eller can be successful by himself. No matter what linemates he has Eller's lines are almost always among the best night in and night out.

It's only a matter of time before Desharnais is replaced by Eller imo. If Desharnais continues to struggle as he has, don't expect him to stay there. Martin is giving Desharnais all the chances to prove that it is his spot so that if he takes him out because he just cant cut, no one will say that he wasn't given a chance.

That's the only way I can rationalize it.

Old
11-11-2011, 02:02 PM
BigHabs

Should be:

Pacioretty Plekanec Gionta
Desharnais Eller Cole
Palushaj Gomez Moen
Darche Nokelainen Blunden

Subban Gorges
Emelin Spacek
Weber Gill

ex. Diaz

Old
11-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
The lines used going into a game, mean almost nothing...JM will change the lines tomorrow night by the time the second period starts...man that must drive the players nuts...
It's pro hockey not house league hockey.

Coaches change lines during games all the time, sometimes top guys get double shifted with another line, at times a guy having a good game moves up to a higher line and a cold player moves down.

Old
11-11-2011, 03:09 PM
TheBuriedHab

Desharnais needs to sit out a game or be put on the third line. Right now hes not pulling his weight on any line hes on.

Old
11-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Desharnais needs to sit out a game or be put on the third line. Right now hes not pulling his weight on any line hes on.
No he is pulling his weight. Problem is, that's not a lot of weight in the first place.

Old
11-11-2011, 03:15 PM
pine

Lol ELLER must be psyched to play with two scrubs while Desharnais gets the royal treatment.

Old
11-11-2011, 03:16 PM
llamateizer

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/329910.html

Quote:
Toutefois, Gomez ne pourra pas jouer au centre pour ne pas aggraver la blessure qu’il a subie. Il est présentement incapable de prendre des mises en jeu.

However, Gomez can not play center so as not to aggravate the injuries sustained. He is currently unable to take faceoffs.

I expect Blunden getting more ice time than Gomez

Old
11-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I guess Martin starts with that and then he will switch it up during the game depending on the score
yeah, that's probably right.

I just remember the amount of times Martin used to put moen out on the first line for the opening shift, and then change things up for the rest of the game. I wouldn't read too much into these sets.

Old
11-11-2011, 04:20 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
DD is a denfensive liability. He is also very undersized. It must be a nightmare for JM to use him on the road when he gets exposed against certain matchups. I can assume this is the main reason he gets the two biggest wingers on the team.

If you switch DD and Eller sure the 2nd line looks great but the 3rd line becomes too weak defensively and with Martin that is never a good thing.

Didn't AK leave practice early? I can only assume that is the main reason Eller got stuck with Blunden. Blunden is in the JM doghouse and he isnt getting out. So when AK left Martin just told him to play alongside Eller. In reality Eller will get Gomez or Palushaj on his wing. No way is Blunden, a guy who has played 3 total minutes the last 3 games going to play 15+ minutes with Eller.

Old
11-11-2011, 04:23 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post

However, Gomez can not play center so as not to aggravate the injuries sustained. He is currently unable to take faceoffs.

I totally expect Palushaj to get more minutes if Gomez is still a bit hurt. JM used Palushaj for 13 minutes and he probably played his best game so far this year.

Old
11-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Jake5

wow why not put Eller with Pacioretty and Cole? that would be the most physical scoring line we've had in a looooong time

Old
11-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Why can't Martin keep what's working in tact? Why split up Darche-Nokelainen-Blunden line? Why put Eller in there when he's proven he can be a top 2 centre, AHEAD of Desharnais?

These lines better change very early into the game. Then again, watch Desharnais feed Pacioretty the puck for two quick goals in the opening five minutes.
He might be trying to get Desharnais going, Pacioretty has played well this season and maybe JM is hoping to get Davids confidence back on track by playing him with Max.

Old
11-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake5 View Post
wow why not put Eller with Pacioretty and Cole? that would be the most physical scoring line we've had in a looooong time
I would like to see this line combo.

Old
11-11-2011, 05:19 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I say spread the talent over the 3 lines.

Gomer - Eller - Palushaj
Darche - Noke - Blunden

Emelin - Gill please.

Old
11-11-2011, 05:44 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

What the **** are those lines?

So much for having a good 4th line.

How much more sense would it make to have;
Gomez-Eller-Palushaj
Darche-Nokelainen-Blunden

???

Old
11-11-2011, 05:53 PM
speed11

what's AK out with...is it serious?

Old
11-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Boardish

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
what's AK out with...is it serious?
It seems like he was already playing with an injury. It probably got worse against NY. But he's day to day, so it shouldn't be that bad.

Old
11-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post

Then why play D'Ohmez in the first place? If he can't take a face-off ...wtf CAN he do?

Old
11-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Lefley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The way I see it is that the only to have Desharnais be productive is to put him in the position. It is not to say he earned, but rather that if he is to be on the team, it's the only place where he can be successful. If anything I see it as a compliment to Eller. Eller is much more versatile than Desharnais and while I agree it sucks and that I wish Eller can take his place, I just think JM trusts that Eller can be successful by himself. No matter what linemates he has Eller's lines are almost always among the best night in and night out.

It's only a matter of time before Desharnais is replaced by Eller imo. If Desharnais continues to struggle as he has, don't expect him to stay there. Martin is giving Desharnais all the chances to prove that it is his spot so that if he takes him out because he just cant cut, no one will say that he wasn't given a chance.

That's the only way I can rationalize it.
I still don't see that logic. Our 3rd/4th line center (DD) would make our 3rd/4th line too weak so JM plays him on the 2nd line (with those minutes) and our de facto 2nd line center (Eller) plays on the 3rd line? I agree with balancing lines but there must be demarcation of some sort between top 6 and bottom 6 because minutes should follow those positions. If DD would make the 3rd/4th lines too weak, logic follows that he wouldn't be helping the 2nd all that much (i.e. he would be making the 2nd line weak). He should be on 3rd or 4th and JM can always double shift the 1st and 2nd for certain parts in the game. I like DD but really does he have some compromising pictures of JM?

Old
11-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefley View Post
I still don't see that logic. Our 3rd/4th line center (DD) would make our 3rd/4th line too weak so JM plays him on the 2nd line (with those minutes) and our de facto 2nd line center (Eller) plays on the 3rd line? I agree with balancing lines but there must be demarcation of some sort between top 6 and bottom 6 because minutes should follow those positions. If DD would make the 3rd/4th lines too weak, logic follows that he wouldn't be helping the 2nd all that much (i.e. he would be making the 2nd line weak). He should be on 3rd or 4th and JM can always double shift the 1st and 2nd for certain parts in the game. I like DD but really does he have some compromising pictures of JM?
Desharnais gets the first-line wingers, but he gets 3rd-line defensive responsibility while Eller gets 2nd-line when Martin gets his matchups. Since Gomez went out, Eller gets matched up against the opposition's 2nd-line (Krejci for Boston, though he faced Horcoff against Edmonton which is Edmonton's best line, kid racking up points in easy opportunities at home notwithstanding).

Martin doesn't employ the old, 70s-90s style 2 scoring lines, checking line, grinding line. He goes for best-against-best, and Desharnais has usually been facing the opposition's 3rd-best this season even with first-line wingers in Cole and Cammalleri flanking him.

At home, Desharnais could probably handle a fair number of 3rd-line responsibilities without being carried by Cole and Cammalleri but on the road when it's harder to get matchups he needs to be insulated. Eller does not.

Closed Thread