HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reactions to the Trap

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-11-2011, 05:56 PM
  #101
slapsht25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
I'm sorry, what system did you guys play under Hitchcock????
Left wing lock

slapsht25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:06 PM
  #102
CavemanLawyer
Registered User
 
CavemanLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsht25 View Post
Left wing lock
Not that I agree, but I'm pretty sure he's just gonna counter with good ol wikipedia - "The left wing lock is a defensive ice hockey strategy similar to the neutral zone trap."

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:11 PM
  #103
magnet43
Registered User
 
magnet43's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: LEAFLAND
Country: Canada
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
European sized rinks would definately be setback to 1-3-1 style team. Extra surface area exposes gaps more effectively. Maybe the NHL should adapt if this spreads and other teams start playing like Tampa.

magnet43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:17 PM
  #104
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 46,886
vCash: 500
Making rinks larger is the most difficult solution possible, methinks.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:34 PM
  #105
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Making rinks larger is the most difficult solution possible, methinks.
They might be able to do it.. But you would have to lose seats.. which i dont see the owners agreeing with

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:54 PM
  #106
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 46,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
They might be able to do it.. But you would have to lose seats.. which i dont see the owners agreeing with
It would also completely change the game.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:59 PM
  #107
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It would also completely change the game.
Yeah.. That would suck. International play is too slow

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:56 AM
  #108
FlyersCup08
Registered User
 
FlyersCup08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Very simple rule change: don't blow the whistle for not moving the puck in this situation. Let the possession team sit there for 20 minutes waiting. It would empty out the trapping teams seats and they'd abandon it.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 04:04 AM
  #109
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Very simple rule change: don't blow the whistle for not moving the puck in this situation. Let the possession team sit there for 20 minutes waiting. It would empty out the trapping teams seats and they'd abandon it.
Exactly. The NHL is a business.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:18 AM
  #110
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,095
vCash: 500
So without calling in the bulldozers, or playing the statue game until the trap teams fold from bankruptcy, how can the trap be nullified within the existing rules? Short, quick passes to players already moving is an optimal way to open up the defenders. I see too many Flyer forwards take up their positions and just stand there. Or they can try set 'blocking' patterns where the forward ahead of the puck takes a route that obstructs -- without actively initiating contact -- the closest defender. Thirdly, misdirection with a defenseman (again, with speed) taking the puck out of his zone, and tossing it back to the other Dman when the opponents start to converge towards him. The Dman receiving the puck then plays it up to forwards on the opposite side, who are (theoretically) outmanning the defenders on that side.

I just want to see some creativity in attacking from players beyond Giroux and Jagr. Play to a line's strength: Briere has a soft enough touch to give some nice short (so to speak) passes to a streaking winger. The fourth line plays more dump-and-punish, looking for a turnover, while wearing down the Dman who goes to retrieve the puck.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:23 PM
  #111
FlyersCup08
Registered User
 
FlyersCup08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
So without calling in the bulldozers, or playing the statue game until the trap teams fold from bankruptcy, how can the trap be nullified within the existing rules? Short, quick passes to players already moving is an optimal way to open up the defenders. I see too many Flyer forwards take up their positions and just stand there. Or they can try set 'blocking' patterns where the forward ahead of the puck takes a route that obstructs -- without actively initiating contact -- the closest defender. Thirdly, misdirection with a defenseman (again, with speed) taking the puck out of his zone, and tossing it back to the other Dman when the opponents start to converge towards him. The Dman receiving the puck then plays it up to forwards on the opposite side, who are (theoretically) outmanning the defenders on that side.

I just want to see some creativity in attacking from players beyond Giroux and Jagr. Play to a line's strength: Briere has a soft enough touch to give some nice short (so to speak) passes to a streaking winger. The fourth line plays more dump-and-punish, looking for a turnover, while wearing down the Dman who goes to retrieve the puck.
Even without contact, this would fall under interference as setting a pick/moving pick.

Yes, there are several ways to beat the trap, the first you mentioned being the most popular (look at Nathan Horton's OT Game 7 winner v. Tampa) and Detroit used the 3rd option perfectly to break Tampa's trap. Lavy just thinks the trap (hesitate to even call it that, b/c 1-2-2 is a trap, not this bs) is a pain in the ass to play against and thinks its bush league tactics, so he made a statement.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 02:08 PM
  #112
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
So what happens when the goalie or the defenseman gets to the puck and gets it past the all out blitz of a forecheck? You then have a 4 on 1 the other way
So the possession team dumps it in an area that their players can get in on the forecheck. No one is saying that it is full proof but it would keep the game moving.

Trapping hockey sucks for entertainment.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:53 PM
  #113
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Even without contact, this would fall under interference as setting a pick/moving pick.

Yes, there are several ways to beat the trap, the first you mentioned being the most popular (look at Nathan Horton's OT Game 7 winner v. Tampa) and Detroit used the 3rd option perfectly to break Tampa's trap. Lavy just thinks the trap (hesitate to even call it that, b/c 1-2-2 is a trap, not this bs) is a pain in the ass to play against and thinks its bush league tactics, so he made a statement.
Yeah, you're running on the grey zone of interference, and it would take some leniency from the officials.

Laviolette's action is definitely the talk of the league. The local sports radio host today -- days later -- was talking about it, and talking about loving what the Flyers did. So they definitely made their point. We'll see what comes of it.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:36 AM
  #114
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet43 View Post
European sized rinks would definately be setback to 1-3-1 style team. Extra surface area exposes gaps more effectively. Maybe the NHL should adapt if this spreads and other teams start playing like Tampa.
Nah, the 1-3-1 system (or 0-4-1) works pretty well on European sized rinks as well, if you want to stifle the game.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.