HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

+/- Pens v Stars (The Tired of Waiting for Cole Edition)

Old
11-11-2011, 09:14 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
+/- Pens v Stars (The Tired of Waiting for Cole Edition)

Fire away . . .

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:17 PM
farscape1

Had my plus/minus ready to go and was ready to hit start thread, good thing i double checked to see if Cole made one or not.

++++ Neal, Shero please sign this guy already.

+++ No one got hurt(i hope)

+++++ 1 game closer till Sid comes back( please god please)

farscape1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Sideline

+Jordan Staal. Jamie Benn is a top offensive player. Staal shut him down.

+Malkin. He was creating all over the ice. I do not get the complaints in the GDT.

+Neal. Two goals against his old team. Can't go wrong with that.

+Martin. Similar to Staal's plus.

+Fleury was great when he was needed.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:21 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Neal bringin it again.

Very good team effort for the most part.

Engelland was rushing the puck with confidence. Interesting to see that from him.

Despite the low shot total I actually really like what I saw out of Dallas. They all seem to play pretty well together and they had the Penguins on the run many times. Often they seemed to know when to zig when the Penguins zagged on defense. If not for the penalty shot the game could've definitely ended differently, but hey we deserved a win.

Be interested to hear the Tangradi-ites' comments about his ice time.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

+ Engelland. Hit big, skated well (take note, doubters), played smart.

+ Fleury. Made the saves when we needed them, like towards the end of the game when a Star was all alone on the doorstep.

+ Sullivan. Beauty keep and pass.

+ Cooke. Drawing penalties and scoring on a penalty shot.

+ Malkin. He was dancin' and dishin'.

+ Our team. No Crosby, Michalek, Kennedy, or Lovejoy...and we still beat the best to be the best.

- Letang. Just seemed off tonight.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:23 PM
KIRK

1. Aside from Letang's brain fart, that was as good a defensive job as I've seen from the Pens all year. The Stars had a few chances (including a few when the Pens exited their zone early), but they were pretty much shut down.

2. Cooke's PS move was sick. Note to DB: If you're ever stuck for a choice for a third shooter in the SO, go with Matt 'Hands' Cooke.

3. Loved seeing Geno do anything and everything he could to get Neal the HT, including trying to pass through two defenders to Neal instead of taking the tap in goal. Still not sure what to make of Geno's overall game: Outside of that thirty seconds of that two minute PP shift, he played a really smart game. He was 10-11 in the FO circle. He was shooting the puck and getting/creating chances. BUT, the burst we saw throughout preseason just isn't there. Also liked seeing Coach Disco give Geno a pair of shifts with Cooke and Adams tonight and hope to see them use him 1-2 shifts a period with other guys to exploit matchup advantages moving forward.

4. Hope Staal is o'k (any word?) . . .

5. Neal + Niskanen > Gologoski

6. Fleury is the Rodney Dangerfield of NHL goalies. I know a few guys are playing comparably well, but I'll bet if you asked 10 Canadian hockey 'experts' to name their top 5 early Vezina candidates, Fleury would appear on fewer than half of their lists.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:27 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
+Jordan Staal. Jamie Benn is a top offensive player. Staal shut him down.

+Malkin. He was creating all over the ice. I do not get the complaints in the GDT.

+Neal. Two goals against his old team. Can't go wrong with that.

+Martin. Similar to Staal's plus.

+Fleury was great when he was needed.
The complaint on Malkin, IMHO, stems from his not flying out there. Think back to the burst we saw throughout preseason. It's just not there. BUT, I think he played a really smart game and, outside of overhandling the puck in the last thirty seconds of his two minute PP shift, didn't force anything. He shot the puck. He gave Neal and Sully a lot of looks. And, he was doing what he's supposed to do without the puck. But, again, the burst isn't there. He doesn't look like a thoroughbred skating out there. His first step isn't there. Personally, I think it's the knee, and I think he played tonight like a guy who made a conscious effort to not force it (and to try to take advantage of what he is given instead of trying to do too much).

Old
11-11-2011, 09:27 PM
MtlPenFan

+ Engelland being quite literally THE biggest bargain in the NHL right now.
+ Fleury for simply being a rock on the few occasions he needed to be
+ Team D and forwards backtracking in the neutral zone. Stars had practically nothing.
+ PK
+ The almost unrecognizable PP when compared to last year
+ Cookie, for proving yet again how valuable he can be and for looking like he's truly changed his ways.

= Tanger now literally refusing to shoot on the PP

- If I have to nitpick, Tanger looked REALLY lazy on the first goal.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:28 PM
BrookswasHere44

- you people not waiting for Cole
- Letang-Martin combo OUCH
+Neal, Geno, Sully etc.....

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:30 PM
farscape1

---- Tangradi with only 7 mins played? WTF

farscape1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

+ Engelland. Playing better than Orpik and at a cap hit of $566k. I'm in love. He was skating well, putting Stars on their backs and generally just being great.

+ Special teams. Perfect PK and two (technically four) PP goals? Yes please. Sully is so good at moving the puck around, he's been a huge factor for us in this area.

+ Staal. His defensive contributions cannot be overstated and now he's developing nicely on the offensive side of things. The Staal haters have been quiet recently and it looks like Staal is going to keep it that way.

+ Fleury. Kept us in this thing. He got a lot of help from our defense tonight but he made a lot of good, timely saves. I hope he stays in this form for the rest of the season.

+ Malkin. For trying to get Neal the hat trick and for picking up his game in the latter half. He made some mistakes but he made up for it, I thought.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 View Post

Old
11-11-2011, 09:33 PM
MtlPenFan

James Neal is our Chex LeMeneux

Old
11-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
James Neal is our Chex LeMeneux
Roid Rage?

Dick Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscape1 View Post
---- Tangradi with only 7 mins played? WTF
He went back to the locker room for part of the game after taking a hit to the head, but eventually came back out. That cut into his ice time.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:38 PM
KIRK

Hey, here's actually a complaint about the Sullivan-Malkin-Neal line. It's missing a guy who will drive to the net.

I was watching the last few games and thinking back to the old Malone-Malkin-Sykora line. They'd come up 3 on 3 (or even Malkin and Malone 2 on 2), and they'd be a legitimate threat to score every time. I just don't sense that with Sullivan-Malkin-Neal, and I wonder if part of the reason is that the line lacks a power forward.

Neal is a skilled forward who plays a physical game, but there's a difference between that and a power forward. I'd almost compare him to Bill Guerin in his mid 20's. He'd bang bodies. He'd play physically. But, he was a big skilled guy.

Go back to Malone-Malkin-Sykora coming up 3 on 3. Almost all the time, it would be Malone skates into the zone with Malkin trailing. Malone drops the puck high in the zone to Malkin. Malone, instead of peeling off, like Neal does, would keep driving to the net. Then, Malkin has three options:

-- If the defensemen cheated to him, then he could complete the give and go with Malone.

-- If not, then he'd cut to the middle. If the defense stayed in man, then he'd have a little opening to fire a shot where the goalie would be screened since Malone was driving the net. If one defenseman stayed with Malone but, once he cut into the middle, the third defender cheated to him, he'd dish to Sykora, who'd have a shot on net with the goalie moving.

That's not a critique of Neal. Neal is who Neal is, and I love having him on the team. But, outside of 16 games where Talbot did one hell of a Malone impersonation, it's really the thing that's been missing for Malkin the last three years.

Maybe I'm off, but I just don't get that same 'o'k, something is going to happen' feeling with Sullivan-Malkin-Neal coming up 3 on 3 that I used to get with Malone-Malkin-Sykora, and I think the absence of a winger dropping the puck to Malkin and then driving straight towards the net every time is about the only thing I can identify at this point.

Thoughts?

Old
11-11-2011, 09:38 PM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I love the pic..dont know if its a bash at me somehow...either way..well done as always CW

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:39 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I was going to post this 10 minutes earlier, but then I saw Cole laying the smackdown in the Nash for Malkin thread and needed an extra 10 minutes to hem and haw.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:40 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
+ Engelland. Playing better than Orpik and at a cap hit of $566k. I'm in love. He was skating well, putting Stars on their backs and generally just being great.

+ Special teams. Perfect PK and two (technically four) PP goals? Yes please. Sully is so good at moving the puck around, he's been a huge factor for us in this area.

+ Staal. His defensive contributions cannot be overstated and now he's developing nicely on the offensive side of things. The Staal haters have been quiet recently and it looks like Staal is going to keep it that way.

+ Fleury. Kept us in this thing. He got a lot of help from our defense tonight but he made a lot of good, timely saves. I hope he stays in this form for the rest of the season.

+ Malkin. For trying to get Neal the hat trick and for picking up his game in the latter half. He made some mistakes but he made up for it, I thought.
What mistakes? Outside of his overhandling the puck the last thirty seconds of his two minute PP shift in the second, I think I missed them . . .

Old
11-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
I love the pic..dont know if its a bash at me somehow...either way..well done as always CW
No bash at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Maybe I'm off, but I just don't get that same 'o'k, something is going to happen' feeling with Sullivan-Malkin-Neal coming up 3 on 3 that I used to get with Malone-Malkin-Sykora, and I think the absence of a winger dropping the puck to Malkin and then driving straight towards the net every time is about the only thing I can identify at this point.

Thoughts?
Maybe Tangradi could become that guy. He certainly has no problem driving the net.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:43 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALKINOCALYPSE View Post
Roid Rage?
Glad someone got it

It's the only thing that can explain last year's Neal to this year's

Old
11-11-2011, 09:44 PM
KIRK

Quote:
+ Engelland being quite literally THE biggest bargain in the NHL right now.
+ Fleury for simply being a rock on the few occasions he needed to be
+ Team D and forwards backtracking in the neutral zone. Stars had practically nothing.
+ PK
+ The almost unrecognizable PP when compared to last year
+ Cookie, for proving yet again how valuable he can be and for looking like he's truly changed his ways.

= Tanger now literally refusing to shoot on the PP

- If I have to nitpick, Tanger looked REALLY lazy on the first goal.
He also was cheating up ice when Martin lost the puck in the middle of his own zone and Fiddler was behind everyone for that point blank shot.

Tanger actually has had a few rough ones in terms of defensive coverage (the give and go goal in LA, for example).

That said, it's a nitpick.

Frankly, as a team, the Pens defensively did a better job on the Stars than just about any other team I've seen this year and they did it without Michalek.

Side Note: I live in Dallas, so I got the Stars feed. Love listening to a game announced by Razor. Guy was really impressed with the Pens and announced the game as someone who actually was familiar with the Pens (beyond the soundbite level of knowledge).

Old
11-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
this got a rare legitimate internet laugh out loud from me.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
Glad someone got it

It's the only thing that can explain last year's Neal to this year's
That was one of the better episodes.

"It was good weed Steveses"

As for Neal, it's funny to me because I think he's playing around the same as he was last year. Like either goal tonight wouldn't have gone in for him last year. Anyone else hoping he kinda slows down so we don't have to pay him as much?

Dick Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
1. Aside from Letang's brain fart, that was as good a defensive job as I've seen from the Pens all year.
He also had a terrible giveaway on the PP to end the first where Eriksson/Benn almost got the shorty, and as I remember it bad positioning forcing Fleruy to make his best save of the night on Burish.
Letang had a very poor first period overall, and Brooks wasn't his old self at any point in my opinion. Engelland held him up. Thought Martin was great in this game.

... anyway, after the 1-1 goal it was a defensive clinic. Great to see, and boy has Engelland developed. It is flat out ridiculous. I'm blinking while watching this guy, expecting that I am mistaking him for someone else.

Weird that after last season where we were pretty ace at scoring ES, this season we are hugely reliant on the PP that is coming together splendidly. Totally dominant tonight with two goals and both times scoring on the same PP's that just saw goals called off.

Obviously huge plusses to Neal and Cooke, and also big up to Malkin for being very creative while still playing smart (Sully had a good game also) and of course Staal/Kunitz/Cooke for keeping Dallas top line shut down.

- Adams. Harsh, as you can't expect much from him when we aren't killing penalties and have the puck all the time, but ES I don't think he is in our top15 forwards. Just meh! and has been for a good while now, IMO.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote