HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poms as #1 "Center"

Old
11-11-2011, 02:33 PM
BritSabre

vCash: 500
I'd like to roll these 4 if we need a shake up around new year

Ennis - Pominville - Vanek
Leino - Roy - Kaleta
Gerbe - Gaustad - Boyes
Hecht - Adam - Stafford

Tenacity, skill and dare I say it scoring throughout the lineup.

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSabre View Post
I'd like to roll these 4 if we need a shake up around new year

Ennis - Pominville - Vanek
Leino - Roy - Kaleta
Gerbe - Gaustad - Boyes
Hecht - Adam - Stafford

Tenacity, skill and dare I say it scoring throughout the lineup.
Kaleta's not in the lineup enough to rely on him as a second line player. Switch him with Stafford and it's more likely.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:42 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
If Pominville actually did make the move to center, I'm not sure what I'd do with the lines. I'd love to see Stafford play with Vanek and Pominville, but that just leaves a huge gap in the second line.

Vanek - Pominville - Stafford
Ennis - Roy - Leino <-- Ew.
Gerbe - Gaustad - Boyes

Maybe put Leino up with them? That's the line lots of people wanted to see anyway, just with Pominville and Leino reversed.

Vanek - Pominville - Leino
Ennis - Roy - Stafford
Gerbe - Gaustad - Boyes
What I would do is actually put our 3rd top 6 RW to use since he's been playing great and plays with Vanek and Pommers on the PP already anyways.

Vanek Pommers Boyes
Leino Roy Stafford
Ennis Adam Kaleta/Cody
Gerbe Goose Cody/Kaleta

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:56 PM
michaelsaas

Maybe this is completely stupid but does anyone think Pom's taking on center duties (if not officially taking over the position) was part of the Sabres plan since the off-season?

I believe Leino and Briere actually worked in that manner in Philly. So maybe once we signed Leino, Ruff told Pommers that he wanted him working on faceoffs etc and that Leino and Poms would work much like Leino and Briere did.

The only difference is that Adams came in and took that spot from Leino in camp. Thoughts?

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
dkollidas

Vanek-Pominville-Boyes
-works on the PP, why not even strength. Vanek and Pominville are both playing very well defensively, and Boyes isn't horrible in his own end.

Leino-Roy-Stafford
-they're starting to get some chemistry, don't mess it up now.

Ennis-Adam-Hecht
-when both are healthy, put them with Adam and see how it goes, if Adam and Ennis can build chemistry that'd be great.

If Hecht is still out a while...

Gerbe-Adam-Ennis
-throw the two midgets with the big guy and see what happens. Ennis and Gerbe played together in the AHL, and they're the three past AHL ROY's.

If Gerbe is moved off the GGK line...
McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

If not keep GGK together

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 05:41 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsaas View Post
Maybe this is completely stupid but does anyone think Pom's taking on center duties (if not officially taking over the position) was part of the Sabres plan since the off-season?

I believe Leino and Briere actually worked in that manner in Philly. So maybe once we signed Leino, Ruff told Pommers that he wanted him working on faceoffs etc and that Leino and Poms would work much like Leino and Briere did.

The only difference is that Adams came in and took that spot from Leino in camp. Thoughts?
I actually think the plan was for Hecht to center that line. Ruff had told himat the end season exit interviews to be prepared to play center this season. Hecht played between Vanek/Pommer for most of the 2nd half before getting hurt.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Why mess with Pominville's position when what he's doing is playing RW and taking draws? Let Adam continue to work on his game in the middle and let JP do his job on the wing.

11-11-2011, 05:45 PM
michaelsaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I actually think the plan was for Hecht to center that line. Ruff had told himat the end season exit interviews to be prepared to play center this season. Hecht played between Vanek/Pommer for most of the 2nd half before getting hurt.
That makes sense. I love Hecht's game but I always preferred him on the wing. But he did do well for us at center last season. I don't care where he plays really, I just hope he can get healthy and play at some point this season.

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 05:52 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Why mess with Pominville's position when what he's doing is playing RW and taking draws? Let Adam continue to work on his game in the middle and let JP do his job on the wing.
Thats kind of where I am with it.

Pommer has been great as another option for faceoffs as well as helping with the defensive responsibilities. But he hasn't been the full time center (its a roughly 50/50) and if he is moved there full time it changes the dynamic of his role. It may not effect him at all and that line may keep chugging along. But why mess with what is working.

I also think Adam contributes more to that line than many give him credit for. He has been a good support player. He is very good at getting his shot off (particularly in traffic), gets the puck to the net consistantly, goes to the net hard and he is very good at using his stick to create turnovers. Adam is tied with Pommer for the team lead in takeaways (9). With those two taking the puck away like that its created a ton of chances for Vanek and the results speak for themselves.

Old
11-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Thats kind of where I am with it.

Pommer has been great as another option for faceoffs as well as helping with the defensive responsibilities. But he hasn't been the full time center (its a roughly 50/50) and if he is moved there full time it changes the dynamic of his role. It may not effect him at all and that line may keep chugging along. But why mess with what is working.

I also think Adam contributes more to that line than many give him credit for. He has been a good support player. He is very good at getting his shot off (particularly in traffic), gets the puck to the net consistantly, goes to the net hard and he is very good at using his stick to create turnovers. Adam is tied with Pommer for the team lead in takeaways (9). With those two taking the puck away like that its created a ton of chances for Vanek and the results speak for themselves.
Poms is still not the deep man on the defensive rotation most of the time. He's taking faceoffs mostly on the right side and given how Adam has struggled so far, the puck possession piece of it is awesome. The three of them are very good at jumping passing lanes and just generally being in the most disruptive spot they can be on the ice in the opposition's zone, lots of 2-on-1 supported action as they work quickly on the puck-carrier.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 06:11 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Poms is still not the deep man on the defensive rotation most of the time. He's taking faceoffs mostly on the right side and given how Adam has struggled so far, the puck possession piece of it is awesome. The three of them are very good at jumping passing lanes and just generally being in the most disruptive spot they can be on the ice in the opposition's zone, lots of 2-on-1 supported action as they work quickly on the puck-carrier.

Pommer was a down low a good amount for a few games earlier in the year. But you're right he isn't the one doing it most of the time.

Ruff must feel like he won the lottery with Adam this year. The way he has gelled with those two is incredible. Adam was told coming into the summer if he did x,y and z he would get a chance to make the team. He took that to heart and grabbed a spot no one thought he would be in.

Old
11-11-2011, 06:22 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Vanek-Pominville/Adam-Adam/Pominville
Leino-Roy-Stafford
Gerbe-Gaustad-Boyes
Ennis/McCormick-McCormick/Hecht-Kaleta

(Ennis/Hecht plugged in when healthy).

Why mess with what's working? Pominville can handle defensive responsibilities of the center while playing RW in the offensive zone--which is pretty close to what they're doing already.

If Adam falters, then you can think about moving Pommer to C full-time. But even then maybe you'd give Leino a shot first. If we get hammered with center injuries, then we can think about moving Pommer completely to C, but I'm fine with this hybrid C/RW thing they have going on.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
If Adam falters, they may try Leino there or if Hecht ever gets healthy, he comes back and plugs in there. Again, Poms is playing well, but he's not actually "playing center".

Old
11-11-2011, 09:58 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
If Adam falters, they may try Leino there or if Hecht ever gets healthy, he comes back and plugs in there. Again, Poms is playing well, but he's not actually "playing center".
Imo you are understating the degree to which he is already the center. He handles half the faceoffs and just as much dzone coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Why mess with what's working?
One problem we will face is finding a center for Ennis once he is healthy. Going into the season the expectation was that at least one of Hecht, Leino, Adam, or Boyes would center the 3rd line (GGX as the 4th line). Well, now Leino is thriving at LW with Roy and Stafford, Boyes at RW with Gerbe and Goose, Adam is somehow the 1C and Hecht is out indefinitely. So if we keep the other lines together, what are we going to do, assign Ennis to grind duty with Cody and Kaleta?

Anyways I agree it would be unwise to shake things up while we are winning. But we won't always be winning. This thread is just ideas.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:00 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Imo you are understating the degree to which he is already the center. He handles half the faceoffs and just as much dzone coverage.

One problem we will face is finding a center for Ennis once he is healthy. Going into the season the expectation was that at least one of Hecht, Leino, Adam, or Boyes would center the 3rd line (GGX as the 4th line). Well, now Leino is thriving at LW with Roy and Stafford, Boyes at RW with Gerbe and Goose, Adam is somehow the 1C and Hecht is out indefinitely. So if we keep the other lines together, what are we going to do, assign Ennis to grind duty with Cody and Kaleta?

Anyways I agree it would be unwise to shake things up while we are winning. But we won't always be winning. This thread is just ideas.
Yes. Stick Ennis on the fourth line if these lines are working. Eventually a shakeup will be needed and he can be moved around.

And Ennis wasn't playing that well before he got hurt either.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
I just don't see him handling THAT much of the deep d-zone coverage. He's always responsible and in great position, but he's still covering the point and half-wall more than being the deep man. Are people overstating him as a center due to faceoff prowess? Nothing wrong with a winger good at the draw who is still a good winger.

Quote:

Ennis could use some time down with the fourth line and instructions to simplify his game.

Old
11-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
For sure I had to be one of the top detractors of Pominville for a couple of years running. Especially the move dubbed the "Pominfail", which consists of taking a step over the blue line along the right wing wall and winding a slap shot at the goalie's crest. Or if pressured, just wrist it. Same target.

That said, he hasn't been doing that stuff as much this year, and perhaps as a consequence has been a legitimate top-line forward, and one of the best Sabres on the year.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Sinter Klaas

vCash: 1147
On a related note, if anyone listed to "Captain" Pominville's presser last night he really sounded like true captain material.

Sinter Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote