HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Girardi

Old
11-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
All of you guys need to eat a pretty good amount of crow about thinking Girardi will be the odd man out and thinking he should be traded. I always thought he was better than Staal and you know what? He is and I'm completely comfortable now to say it out in public.
I love Girardi, but you're flat out wrong. Staal is dominant defensively and is a physical beast in a way that Girardi just isn't. Girardi's great and he puts up more points, but Staal is still the man when he gets healthy.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:05 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I love Girardi, but you're flat out wrong. Staal is dominant defensively and is a physical beast in a way that Girardi just isn't. Girardi's great and he puts up more points, but Staal is still the man when he gets healthy.
How is he more physical? Last season, Girardi had more hits than Staal and he had more blocked shots.. Girardi also seems to be pretty fine defensively. I think Girardi just makes Staal look better and also just because he's one of the Staals is one reason why people like him more.

11-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Zil

Quote:
How is he more physical? Last season, Girardi had more hits than Staal and he had more blocked shots.. Girardi also seems to be pretty fine defensively. I think Girardi just makes Staal look better and also just because he's one of the Staals is one reason why people like him more.
I don't think you understand. I wasn't saying that his game is "more physical," I was saying that he's a physical beast. He's 6' 4", has a longer reach, and I would argue he's just plain stronger than Girardi. All of this allows him to lock down elite level guys more effectively than Girardi. Like I said, I love Girardi, he's playing great, but Staal's just better. Even now, you see Girardi making the odd defensive mistake (weak clear, mental error, etc) at a higher frequency than Staal was last year. I'm not saying Staal's perfect, but he is the superior defensive player. It's not a put down to Girardi to note that Staal is in the elite of the elite level defensively. I don't think there's anyone better than Staal defensively in the game right now.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:31 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If Girardi makes Staal look better, then why did Girardi blow when Staal was out of the lineup last year?

Girardi has NEVER looked this dominant by himself.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:33 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I don't think you understand. I wasn't saying that his game is "more physical," I was saying that he's a physical beast. He's 6' 4", has a longer reach, and I would argue he's just plain stronger than Girardi. All of this allows him to lock down elite level guys more effectively than Girardi. Like I said, I love Girardi, he's playing great, but Staal's just better. Even now, you see Girardi making the odd defensive mistake (weak clear, mental error, etc) at a higher frequency than Staal was last year. I'm not saying Staal's perfect, but he is the superior defensive player. It's not a put down to Girardi to note that Staal is in the elite of the elite level defensively. I don't think there's anyone better than Staal defensively in the game right now.
Okay I can agree with this. Well it doesn't really matter. One of the other things I was originally saying was that people need to eat crow about thinking Girardi will be the odd man out and a pretty good amount of people here thought he should have been traded. Would you at least agree that was pretty ridiculous? Even when they wanted him traded, he played just as well he did then as he's doing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If Girardi makes Staal look better, then why did Girardi blow when Staal was out of the lineup last year?

Girardi has NEVER looked this dominant by himself.
Girardi blew? Cut the ****. He was playing with McDonagh I believe who wasn't experienced whatsoever. Two players make a pair. If one plays bad, they will make the other one look bad, no matter how good they are.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

disgrace that he's been left off the allstar ballot. just a disgrace.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:51 AM
17futurecap

Probably been said already, but MSG needs to give this guy an MSG Beginnings. From being undrafted to playing 30 minutes a night, playing unreal right now.

When do we start the write in campaign for the ASG?

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:55 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Probably been said already, but MSG needs to give this guy an MSG Beginnings. From being undrafted to playing 30 minutes a night, playing unreal right now.

Is there a list anywhere of all the Beginnings episodes that will be coming out?

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:59 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Okay I can agree with this. Well it doesn't really matter. One of the other things I was originally saying was that people need to eat crow about thinking Girardi will be the odd man out and a pretty good amount of people here thought he should have been traded. Would you at least agree that was pretty ridiculous? Even when they wanted him traded, he played just as well he did then as he's doing now.

Girardi blew? Cut the ****. He was playing with McDonagh I believe who wasn't experienced whatsoever. Two players make a pair. If one plays bad, they will make the other one look bad, no matter how good they are.
I love Girardi as much as the next guy, but he was simply not very good last year when Staal went out.

He's been a revelation so far this year, but the fact is anybody who doubted his ability to do what he's doing was completely justified.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 02:02 AM
The Mouth

No doubt Girardi has been excellent this year. But Marc Staal was on the verge of being a perennial all-star in this league and premier shut down defenseman.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 03:52 AM
Superstar Carwash

This whole who's better between Girardi or Staal is pretty much worthless and retarded to be honest. They're both very good defensemen on their own. Both have positives and negatives.

Some people like apples, other like pears. It's as easy as that and we should be glad we have them both. On that note though, I really hope that we don't trade Girardi cause that is gonna come back and bite us in the ass like nothing else. He means more to this team than people understand.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 05:51 AM
Osminator

Let Girardi keep the "A" at home, let Staal have the "A" on the road...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 06:13 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
disgrace that he's been left off the allstar ballot. just a disgrace.
I agree. Girardi is playing like one of the best defenseman in the league. Without a doubt at an ALL Star level. If he was a shiny first round pick he would have more attention throughout the league.

He is playing better than Staal has ever played which is not a knock against Staal.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Firestorm

Would you guys say that Girardi and Staal's performance depends on each other as line-mates and isn't as effective when they are apart?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Torts was saying yesterday during the post-game interview how Girardi was always under-rated and its been like that since day 1

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 08:16 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Would you guys say that Girardi and Staal's performance depends on each other as line-mates and isn't as effective when they are apart?
You are asking a fair question. However, Girardi has been playing the best hockey I have seen him play while Staal has been out of the lineup. I also wondered if Staal made Girardi look better than he was when they played together but Girardi is proving this season that he is just a good player, with or without Staal.

If Girardi is able to maintain his current level of play there is no argument, he is a top pairing NHL defenseman. For the poster who said earlier in the thread that Girardi is a below average passer I suggest you watch closer because his outlet passes especially under heavy duress is the strongest part of his game.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 09:06 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
No. Last year, I would have said that Girardi needed Staal, as his play dropped when Staal was out. Staal, however played well even when paired with Sauer. This year, it's not even close that being the case as Girardi has been flat out superb while being paired with McDonagh.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post

So far, haven't they only done Americans?

Cally, Boyle, Dubi, Stepan.

Maybe the camera crew are still applying for green cards and can't l eave the country.

11-12-2011, 10:19 AM
ColonialsHockey10

When/if Staal comes back, he's gonna need a few games playing 3rd pair minutes. I'd like to see them call up Erixon and have him play with Staal. I think that will do wonders to his development.

Girardi McDonagh
Sauer Del Zotto
Staal Erixon

Girardi's play this season has been nothing short of Norris caliber. It's amazing how often he gets hit in the face with a stick or a puck, plays the next shift with a huge cut on his face, and does something spectacular. Move over Rafalski, the Rangers got a better undrafted player.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i would without a doubt split staal and girardi up when staal comes back unless playing a team that has 1 loaded offensive line.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:35 AM
rangerrat

[QUOTE=TomLaidlaw;39317897]You are asking a fair question. However, Girardi has been playing the best hockey I have seen him play while Staal has been out of the lineup. I also wondered if Staal made Girardi look better than he was when they played together but Girardi is proving this season that he is just a good player, with or without Staal.

If Girardi is able to maintain his current level of play there is no argument, he is a top pairing NHL defenseman. For the poster who said earlier in the thread that Girardi is a below average passer I suggest you watch closer because his outlet passes especially under heavy duress is the strongest part of his game.[/QUOTE]

i agree strongly with that point how cool and calmly he makes his break out passes in the time of need in our zone with pressure on, I luv the way this guy uses his eyes to look for the open receiver on the breakout and again on the PP if and when he gets that chance. Sure sometmes that pass will be an errand one on the breakout but i would much rather have Dan on the ice then some of our other D-men for that icing faceoff, Iam betting 9/10 its tape to tape for the pass out!

rangerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:47 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Staal is not stronger than Girardi. He's taller, but not stronger. He has the reach which can be killer, but when people hit Girardi it looks like they just ran into a brick wall, except for whats-his-name the other day. He caught Girardi off guard and put him on his ass. That was a scary moment. Thank god he's a warrior or else...

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Let's take this moment to remember that 13 months ago most people wanted to dump Girardi because he didn't jump into fight to defend Gaborik.

Never make rash decisions on players, whether what they do is good or bad. Norris talk is ridiculous right now. Let's see him keep this up into February.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:45 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i would without a doubt split staal and girardi up when staal comes back unless playing a team that has 1 loaded offensive line.
No problem with that at all McD and G can stay solid, and Staal can take someone like Sauer on his pair and help him bring up his game as well.

Its similiar how we split Gabby and Richards. Two legit threats on multiple lines can only mess with the other team and run them thin. Same can be done on D. Give their top O line no "easy shift" pair to work against.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Embryo*

Girardi is a huge part of our success. He must be a career Ranger, I really hope he is. He protects Hank like no one else.

Embryo* is offline   Reply With Quote