HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

On MDZ

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2011, 08:30 PM
  #26
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,905
vCash: 500
I agree that it doens't make Staal expendable, but I think bringing in Girardi's draft status is pretty dumb. It doesn't matter where he was drafted, he's playing great hockey now and has been for over a year

Plus we can see that injuries happen and if you hurt your depth it'll bite you in the ass later

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:43 PM
  #27
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I agree that it doens't make Staal expendable, but I think bringing in Girardi's draft status is pretty dumb. It doesn't matter where he was drafted, he's playing great hockey now and has been for over a year

Plus we can see that injuries happen and if you hurt your depth it'll bite you in the ass later
It just makes me happy that the organization picked up a gem like Danny G without even spending a draft pick

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:33 PM
  #28
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
I don't want any filler trades, this defense looks too good on paper to trade anyone. Unless, Feaster or Howson are shopping around Iginla or Nash, keep the defense together. Very good problem to have 4, maybe 4 capable top 4 defenseman in our defense corps.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:40 PM
  #29
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0flames View Post
It just makes me happy that the organization picked up a gem like Danny G without even spending a draft pick
Ah, OK Thought it was a "he was undrafted and therefor we can't rely on him to be good" kind of comment

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:59 PM
  #30
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823
 
Blatant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @blatantlacrosse
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
I have always been on the MDZ wagon, and love what he is doing this year. Ideally he is a 3rd pairing guy that gets a lot of PP time for us.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:06 PM
  #31
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
The kid has been very, very good this season and im extremely excited.

Yes he still is making the mistake here and there but nowhere near the frequency he was last season before being sent down. He is also doing a lot more things right.

Keep it up MDZ!

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:57 AM
  #32
TheDave1022
Registered User
 
TheDave1022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Carmel, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
Thought mdz had a very strong game last night. He broke up the play entering the zone many times causing turn overs.

TheDave1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:14 AM
  #33
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,110
vCash: 500
MDZ and Sauer are making a strong pairing because they both play similarly in the defensive zone without the puck, and by that I mean, they are both very aggressive on the puck carriers and along the boards... Lots of physical contact and stick work on the puck carriers to create pressure and force plays (and ideally turnovers). The days of soft defensemen like Rozsival & Redden are long gone.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:50 AM
  #34
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I know it's slightly offtopic, but with McD playing the way he has, it makes you wonder if (prepare for it) Staal becomes tradeable.

Staal could fetch a good return on the forward side and really boost the team to another level. I'm sure people wouldn't like the idea, but the D hasn't seemed to miss a beat without him and it's only realistic for a team to have so many top level guys. At some point, someone in the top 4 will have to be traded simply from a salary cap point of view.

May not be this year, but a year or two from now, someone will have to go.
No, because as a group our blueline aint nearly playing well enough TBH.

Like just because you defend and don't make any misstakes it don't mean that they are perfect.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:39 AM
  #35
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
McIlrath is right behind him.
I've been saying that MacIlrath will need time. And he will get all the time he needs because he will always have a quality that no other D man in the depth chart can even approach.

Namely the ability to play a sound game while being a very intimidating physical presence.

Just look at Mike Sauer. As I've said before, he's as sound as sunlight. If you added what MacIlrath has to what Sauer already possesses you would have a player that 29 teams in league would inquire about constantly. That's what MacIlrath can become, IMO.

That's what our back line absolutely needs and why someday he will make some one expendable.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:49 AM
  #36
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
BTW: I don;t think anyone was expecting the 2nd coming of Brian Leetch with MDZ.

Leetch's BIGGEST asset was his skating. I still miss watching him.
That's what Del Zotto lacks: skating.

He's average.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:47 PM
  #37
Draft Guru
Registered User
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,670
vCash: 500
I think something that has been overlooked in this thread is the fact that MDZ has been able to play with a very solid, stay-at-home partner in Michael Sauer, who allows MDZ to play his game and look to jump in when the opportunity is there. Sauer is a very calming presence back there and has enabled MDZ to play with a boat load of confidence.

And by no means am I taking anything away from MDZ. He had a bad game on the Island, but since then he's been very, very good. It just definitely has helped his confidence playing with Sauer rather than Eminger or Gilroy like he was last season

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:06 PM
  #38
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
That's what Del Zotto lacks: skating.

He's average.
Previously I would agree, but his skating has looked great this year.

I'll say it again, the difference between Del Zotto this year and previous years is his transition game. He has amazing vision, it's elite, and when he's not trying for stretch passes every shift, he can get the puck to anyone on the ice. His skating and passing have been worlds better.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:22 PM
  #39
rangerrat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Previously I would agree, but his skating has looked great this year.

I'll say it again, the difference between Del Zotto this year and previous years is his transition game. He has amazing vision, it's elite, and when he's not trying for stretch passes every shift, he can get the puck to anyone on the ice. His skating and passing have been worlds better.
This is MDZ we are talking about right? Count the bad long passes tonite that turn into icing and the number of times he fights to get to the center of ice for HIS shot on PP. This guy cares only about one thing and that is his points for his next contract! He is blind when it comes to the PP from the point as he is too busy worried about scoring the goal then looking to see if any one else is clear for the shot.Hope he doesnt cost us the game winning 2 on 1 while he is up forechecking!! Here s to a speedy recovery to Marc Staal so we can get back to the Fab 4 Dmen we have, and MDZ and Emminger can get the minutes they deserve for 5/6 defenceman!

rangerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:54 PM
  #40
Greg02
Registered User
 
Greg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I think something that has been overlooked in this thread is the fact that MDZ has been able to play with a very solid, stay-at-home partner in Michael Sauer, who allows MDZ to play his game and look to jump in when the opportunity is there. Sauer is a very calming presence back there and has enabled MDZ to play with a boat load of confidence.

And by no means am I taking anything away from MDZ. He had a bad game on the Island, but since then he's been very, very good. It just definitely has helped his confidence playing with Sauer rather than Eminger or Gilroy like he was last season
Sauer was out to start the year, and MDZ was playing top four minutes and doing well.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:58 PM
  #41
Pugs35
Registered User
 
Pugs35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrat View Post
This is MDZ we are talking about right? Count the bad long passes tonite that turn into icing and the number of times he fights to get to the center of ice for HIS shot on PP. This guy cares only about one thing and that is his points for his next contract! He is blind when it comes to the PP from the point as he is too busy worried about scoring the goal then looking to see if any one else is clear for the shot.Hope he doesnt cost us the game winning 2 on 1 while he is up forechecking!! Here s to a speedy recovery to Marc Staal so we can get back to the Fab 4 Dmen we have, and MDZ and Emminger can get the minutes they deserve for 5/6 defenceman!
You realize that everyone has been encouraging him to shoot more, don't you? Have you ever even watched him play?

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:46 AM
  #42
rangerrat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Have you ever watched a Rangers game?
As a matter of fact many this year, will be so glad when Marc returns to cut into this kids ice time, Too selfish for my likeing thats all iam saying!! But iam glad he still has a few cheerleaders in his corner!! Keep up the good work MDZ against the 3/4 line forwards because thats the first lline in the AHL!

rangerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:52 AM
  #43
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title
 
bettercallstaal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wingdale
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrat View Post
As a matter of fact many this year, will be so glad when Marc returns to cut into this kids ice time, Too selfish for my likeing thats all iam saying!! But iam glad he still has a few cheerleaders in his corner!! Keep up the good work MDZ against the 3/4 line forwards because thats the first lline in the AHL!
So you joined last year but you waited until this year to make this comment. Your a little late bro. MDZ looks good this year. I actually want him to take the shot a bit more.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:00 PM
  #44
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,044
vCash: 500
Made a couple mistakes lat night. Last year they would have turned into goals against, but that's the way it goes. He improves a bit each game. He should have taken the shot Richie set him up for...but I'm not complaining. He almost had at least two goals by my count. He's getting his chances and playing good D by keeping it simple. What ever it is they are selling him, he's buying it.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:30 PM
  #45
rangerrat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
So you joined last year but you waited until this year to make this comment. Your a little late bro. MDZ looks good this year. I actually want him to take the shot a bit more.
If you look back i have never been a MDZ fan and the way he plays never will be! Cant wait for his whale season to start!!! Was aboard many buring buses to torch this guy from day one, One day he may get it, hopefully wont be on my dime!

rangerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 03:38 PM
  #46
Draft Guru
Registered User
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,670
vCash: 500
What "fan" of the Rangers roots for a player to fail?


Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 03:42 PM
  #47
hyzer23
Registered User
 
hyzer23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Queen City
Country: United States
Posts: 447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
MDZ is showing the haters that he belongs in the NHL. He is much improved in his own zone and is starting to gain his confidence back. I still think he is going to be a very good player. MDZ, McD, Staal, Girardi, Sauer, Erixon. We are set on the blueline for at least a decade
Im absolutely terrified of that D...add Mcilrath too

hyzer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 04:09 PM
  #48
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow
 
Net Front Presence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 6,008
vCash: 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrat View Post
As a matter of fact many this year, will be so glad when Marc returns to cut into this kids ice time, Too selfish for my likeing thats all iam saying!! But iam glad he still has a few cheerleaders in his corner!! Keep up the good work MDZ against the 3/4 line forwards because thats the first lline in the AHL!
He played top 4 minutes the first dozen games and is a +7. Try watching a game, troll.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 04:37 PM
  #49
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrat View Post
If you look back i have never been a MDZ fan and the way he plays never will be! Cant wait for his whale season to start!!! Was aboard many buring buses to torch this guy from day one, One day he may get it, hopefully wont be on my dime!
If we looked back at what? I'm not sure anybody here has archived your other 10 posts yet but if they're anything like the few here on this thread they must be real 'gems'.

Just crazy. You're talking about a 21 year old here working already on his third NHL season. A defenseman as well who usually take more time to develop. Are you really a Rangers fan?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 05:09 PM
  #50
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,405
vCash: 500
i think a lot of people must have forgotten that MDZ was so young and that the sophmore slump is so prevalent they made a name for it. ignoring his detractors, his defense is visibly improved this season. positioning, aggressiveness, physicality. loved watching him clear the crease. his skating is average. i think people are noticing it because they subconsciously expect him to be able to skate like Brian Leetch or Scott Neidermeyer which he clearly is not.

When Staal gets back, I figure he won't jump straight into 20+ minutes so I'd kind of like to see the D-depth chart look like:

McD (LD) - Girardi (RD)
MDZ (LD) - Sauer (RD)
Staal (LD) - Stralman (RD)
Woywitka (LD) - Eminger (RD)

If those pairings are working, don't break em up, plus I also feel that Staal is so good that if he played with Eminger (or anyone else for that matter), he'd make them look like a Norris candidate player. 3 solid pairings would be nice. I really like MDZ with Sauer because Sauer is so solid, it really allows MDZ to comfortably develop his offensive game with confidence.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.