HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#15|Nov. 9, 2011|Flyers at Lightning |7:30 p.m. ET

Old
11-10-2011, 12:42 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Mez still looked horrible on that final rush. honestly what in the bloody hell was he doing. Maybe Bryz should of made the save, but if Mez does his job then nothing comes of it.
Should of never come to that tho.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
They both did a pretty bad job. Ugh.

11-10-2011, 01:14 AM
TheLegendkiller

vCash: 500
This team needs to continue working on getting better. They haven't been on a win streak since the beginning of the season.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:19 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I wouldn't expect a lot of win decent win streaks this season. This is a transitional year. Let's just hope they make the best of it.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:54 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Thank you, Philadelphia Flyers. Thanks for finally standing up to the worst thing to ever happen to hockey.

For a team with the amount of talent the Lightning have to resort to such a chicken **** ploy is embarrassing for the NHL. People can accuse the Flyers of being no better than Tampa for what they did but I heartily disagree. There is no way Philly wanted to play that style, but its about time someone exposed teams that resort to non skilled, boring, stifling play.

I especially liked the Flyers players who were calling out the Tampa players for not forechecking. They should be embarrassed (though of course that is a coaching decision)

The Flyers are alright in my books. I just felt compelled to come here and show my support.

11-10-2011, 02:55 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Is Read Playing?
Are you watching the game???

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 05:16 AM
mirimon

With the way our games have been played lately, maybe the NHL needs to institute some authority figure that can step in and put a stop to the silly.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:05 AM
BernieParent

What made me laugh in particular was Maguire's interview with Laviolette, in which Laviolette said that the Flyers have set break-out plays that they want to implement. I wasn't sure which one they wanted to use the most. The patented:
  • defensemen pass the puck behind the net to each other until one of them turns it over to a pressing forechecker
  • defenseman sends the puck up the boards where a forward weakly half-chips it further, easily stopped by the opponent at the point
  • defenseman flip-passes the puck to a standing-still forward, who tries a drop pass at the blueline, turning it over

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:34 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

Thank you, Philadelphia Flyers. Thanks for finally standing up to the worst thing to ever happen to hockey.

For a team with the amount of talent the Lightning have to resort to such a chicken **** ploy is embarrassing for the NHL. People can accuse the Flyers of being no better than Tampa for what they did but I heartily disagree. There is no way Philly wanted to play that style, but its about time someone exposed teams that resort to non skilled, boring, stifling play.

I especially liked the Flyers players who were calling out the Tampa players for not forechecking. They should be embarrassed (though of course that is a coaching decision)

The Flyers are alright in my books. I just felt compelled to come here and show my support.

This should make for a great segment on HBO 24/7

Anyways, The Flyers werent really trying to prove anything. They were simply trying to make TB forecheck them so that they didnt have to play TB's system. It is a complete joke of a system. During a Q game last year, one team was playing the 1-3-1 and their opponents attempted to prove a point and ended up passing the puck in their own zone about 20 times between themselves without trying to take it through the neutral zone.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

Amen. Thanks for stopping by.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:43 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Are you watching the game???
?
I posted that before the game started.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:47 AM
zbryne

Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
these large gaps between games blow

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:11 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
The best thing to do for any team that has to play against this b-ball team on ice is to watch some b-ball games on how to break a full court press. It's very easy to do. Had the Flyers been prepared for this, they might have won the game. They should have won that game with the injuries the Dolts had on defense. Simple solution that will get them the W next time. Also, it might have been a different outcome had freaking Mezaros picked up Connolly so he couldn't have scored the GWG.

I bet Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavalier love playing this style of hockey. I remember when their motto was safe is death and they were playing an attacking style of hockey. Thanks new NHL.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
Thanks! He is right. Wonder if the league will respond to this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
It could be something discussed at future meetings, GMs and perhaps BoGs. The NHL has issued internal in-season memos regarding policy and extended to style of play in the recent past but whether that happens here is anyone's guess.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=600281

Quote:
"Did I like it? No. Is it the most horrible thing I've ever seen on the ice? No. But I do think it has now added another agenda item to the general managers (meetings) next week. The officials whistled down play when there was no puck movement and it was appropriate. Do we need to eliminate the trap? You know, there are a lot of people who love the game the way it is who say no. If you're playing smart, tactical hockey, that's your prerogative and it's incumbent on the other team to figure out how to deal with it. By the same token, if this became too prevalent and too much of the game and too regular, then I think we'd have to deal with it, and we will."

Hradek asked Bettman if he felt the officials had handled the situation appropriately.

"I think under the circumstances they reacted appropriately," Bettman said. "It reminded me of when Sean Avery was waving his stick in front of Marty Brodeur, and they said, 'OK, we think that's unsportsmanlike conduct. We haven't seen that before, so it is unsportsmanlike but we're going to warn you and tell you if you keep it up, that's the penalty that we're going to call.' And that's what they did, and I think that's kind of what we're dealing with now.

"What we don't like to do is just make it up as we go along and not give any warning, and knee jerk. So on that basis, it's one of the things we deal with and we'll react and respond to it."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
The best thing to do for any team that has to play against this b-ball team on ice is to watch some b-ball games on how to break a full court press. It's very easy to do. Had the Flyers been prepared for this, they might have won the game. They should have won that game with the injuries the Dolts had on defense. Simple solution that will get them the W next time. Also, it might have been a different outcome had freaking Mezaros picked up Connolly so he couldn't have scored the GWG.
Finally got a chance to watch the tape, and the Flyers outchanced them by such a wide margin, it's a shame they didn't get the win. Giroux had a half dozen amazing chances. Most of our good misses did so by barely missing the net so the shot totals were low. Even in the OT, Jagr and Giroux get chances, followed by Briere's line, then TB gets a lucky one. Meszaros missed his man.

As far as beating that passive trap goes, all you have to do is see the TB RW standing still on the boards, have our RW cross the ice with speed, then have our LD pass it to the Tampa winger. As soon as he touches it, standing still, he gets nailed by the Flyer wing at full speed.

A few of those sitting duck plays and the wingers won't be standing picking their noses at centre....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Finally got a chance to watch the tape, and the Flyers outchanced them by such a wide margin, it's a shame they didn't get the win. Giroux had a half dozen amazing chances. Most of our good misses did so by barely missing the net so the shot totals were low. Even in the OT, Jagr and Giroux get chances, followed by Briere's line, then TB gets a lucky one. Meszaros missed his man.

As far as beating that passive trap goes, all you have to do is see the TB RW standing still on the boards, have our RW cross the ice with speed, then have our LD pass it to the Tampa winger. As soon as he touches it, standing still, he gets nailed by the Flyer wing at full speed.

A few of those sitting duck plays and the wingers won't be standing picking their noses at centre....
A similar strategy has been proposed, but it involves 3-4 players hitting the guy at once.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:03 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
A similar strategy has been proposed, but it involves 3-4 players hitting the guy at once.
I'm thinking Laviolette should be calling 'Red 58' a few times to improve the flow of the game.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'm thinking Laviolette should be calling 'Red 58' a few times to improve the flow of the game.

Would probably get you a penalty like Jussi Jokinen got this year
But i love nothing more than seeing the refs getting nailed, falling, or tripping.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
The only people (in general) who seem to be defending the Lightning, and if you ask any writer, they're more of a genius than anyone employed by the team. All the solutions I've seen have come from keyboard warriors.

Players "blamed" Tampa, Bob McKenzie polled 18 GMs, 13 "blamed" Tampa (with 2 other neutral, which still means the Flyers didn't do anything "wrong." I'll side with those guys.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote