HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 15 vs. Carolina Hurricanes

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Artem Anisimov 3 1.92%
Sean Avery 114 73.08%
Brian Boyle 0 0%
Ryan Callahan 20 12.82%
Michael Del Zotto 1 0.64%
Brandon Dubinsky 99 63.46%
Marian Gaborik 17 10.90%
Dan Girardi 104 66.67%
Henrik Lundqvist 47 30.13%
Ryan McDonagh 3 1.92%
Brad Richards 34 21.79%
Michael Sauer 2 1.28%
Derek Stepan 4 2.56%
Jeff Woywitka 1 0.64%
Other 1 0.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-12-2011, 09:33 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
The Rangers should on an 9 game winning streak. The Rangers played a solid 1st period against the Leafs and Gustavsson was afraid of the puck. Lundqvist played his worst game at MSG since his first season. Post Olympic break in 2006. The Rangers blew a 4-1 lead with 12 minutes remaining in the 3rd period against Ottawa.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Yeah boi!

I don't give a **** about what other people say, but I'd love to see him stick with the big club for the rest of the season, which most likely will be his last one.
Last night was reminiscent of Avery two years ago. If he can play that way consistently I can see myself warming up to him again.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:07 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
When does the garden start selling "broadway hats" with rangers insignia?
Bet you could sell a bunch of them outside MSG. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:11 AM
gluvhand

40-50 years ago it would've seemed strange to see someone NOT wearing a fedora at the Garden. Check out some old photos. Two things that stand out to me are the hats and the ever-present haze of smoke.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:22 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Not to be repetitive but great win. Girardi really has played out of this world and it is gratifying to see him play this well. With the young defensemen we have, his name always seemed to be the first thrown into trade proposals for offensive help the last few seasons.

Avery was good in this game. Very subdued in the postgame, you would think we lost based on his tone. However, good on him and good on Torts for giving him the increased ice throughout the game. I thought he was our best forward through 40 minutes and deserved it. He can be a valuable member of his team even if he doesn't play this way every night. He does bring energy and good forecheck/skating.

Not that it necessarily matters because the team from a couple of years ago was extremely close and did not make the playoffs, but this team is tight and likes each other. The Girardi comments and Boyle's face when Dubi scored tells you that.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:40 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
Its hard to say best since there are a few players playing unbelievable hockey like Gaborik and Lundqvist as well. But without Girardi we don't have a 9-3-3 record, thats for sure.
I would say that through last nights game he has been the most consistent Ranger game in and game out...I don't recall him having a bad game this season...but then again my mind isn't what it used to be

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:06 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Interesting stat...of the Rangers 6 losses, 4 were by one goal (excluding Eng against Nyi), and 2 were by 2.

This team hasn't lost a game by more than 2 games this season. That's friggin' impressive.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Kritikal

Send a message via MSN to Kritikal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
As an Avery detractor, I think I should post how good I thought he was last night. Credit where credit is due, after all. He did have one "Avery moment" where he took a slap shot from 50 feet from the wing on the rush, missed the net and sent the puck careening back out to the neutral zone - but other than that, he was very good. Where has that Sean Avery been for the last 3.5 years? If he shuts his yap and plays like that, that's a player I don't mind having on my 3rd line.
Definitely. He was skating hard, getting in on the fore-check, and winning battles in the corners. He drew penalties not by agitating, but by hustling and moving his feet. While I do enjoy the agitating nature of his game, it's a double-edged sword where it could hurt the team as much as it could help. If he keeps his game simple like he did last night, I'm sure many anti-Avery people will come around and see his value. They might even consider bringing him back as a stop-gap at the league minimum, which Avery has stated he would accept.

If he can keep this up, I see no reason why he can't get ~12 minutes of ES ice time.

Kritikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:05 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Avery as he was last night is a very solid 3rd line player with an offensive flair. That's how he used to play and that's how he needs to play.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Also I still can't believe how ridiculous Richie's pass to Danny G was. He held the puck on his stick forever and just psyched out every Carolina player around him.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
He did have one "Avery moment" where he took a slap shot from 50 feet from the wing on the rush, missed the net and sent the puck careening back out to the neutral zone - but other than that, he was very good.
Something I've seen the best players in the league do.

Not to mention, arguably OUR best player, Gaborik, shot terribly wide on endless great looks last season.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Also I still can't believe how ridiculous Richie's pass to Danny G was. He held the puck on his stick forever and just psyched out every Carolina player around him.
Yeah. My girlfriend was watching the game on "Rangers in 60" with me (missed the actual game due to a wedding) and I said, "watch this" and rewound the DVR about 5 times LOL

She had been asking me recently to explain what good puck movement looked like and why we paid to bring a guy like Richards in to do it. After that, she got it.

She's already pretty knowledgeable on hockey. Another lesson in the books.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:17 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Brad Richards is good.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers should on an 9 game winning streak. The Rangers played a solid 1st period against the Leafs and Gustavsson was afraid of the puck. Lundqvist played his worst game at MSG since his first season. Post Olympic break in 2006. The Rangers blew a 4-1 lead with 12 minutes remaining in the 3rd period against Ottawa.
First, I believe you mean 8 game winning streak. While that could be true, it isn't necessarily true. Everything happens after something before it happens. If we beat Ottawa, maybe we don't learn from it and go on a winning tear.

If Torts calls a timeout before Carolina's goal last night, do we go on to win the game 5-1, or win at all? That's my point, everything happens after previous things happen. If Torts calls a timeout, the game plays out differently. This is just an example.

So should we be on an 8 game winning streak? Hard to say, everything would've played out differently if we beat Toronto and/or Ottawa.

11-12-2011, 02:08 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
First, I believe you mean 8 game winning streak. While that could be true, it isn't necessarily true. Everything happens after something before it happens. If we beat Ottawa, maybe we don't learn from it and go on a winning tear.

If Torts calls a timeout before Carolina's goal last night, do we go on to win the game 5-1, or win at all? That's my point, everything happens after previous things happen. If Torts calls a timeout, the game plays out differently. This is just an example.

So should we be on an 8 game winning streak? Hard to say, everything would've played out differently if we beat Toronto and/or Ottawa.
It would have been 9 since we beat Winnipeg the game before Toronto. Regardless, I do agree that things could have unfolded differently had we won those games so it's unfair to say the streak should be longer.

11-12-2011, 10:12 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

oh, i missed this yesterday. freakin' hilarious!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote