HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Fastest Player in the NHL is our own...

Old
11-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
The Fastest Player in the NHL is our own...

The Fastest Player in the NHL is ... Marian Gaborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianGaborikRules

Marion Gaborik is scary fast. He was the consensus pick by NHL players (37 percent) as the fastest player in the league. The Capitals seem to have kept a blanket over him for this playoff series, but they better not let him out.
Ranked here and here.

Last edited by Beacon: 11-12-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 09:59 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
The Fastest Player in the NHL is ... Marion Gaborik

Ranked here and here.
Yeah. This is old news. It was played on NHL network before the season began the majority picked Gaborik followed by Grabner.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
The Fastest Player in the NHL is ... Marion Gaborik

Ranked here and here.
That's pretty awesome, but I still think Marian Gaborik is faster.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:33 PM
MSG the place to be*

Fastest unfortunately doesn't equate to best.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:33 PM
free0717

From zero to top speed, OMG.

Just wait till Kreider gets here.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:47 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

The prospect of Kreider and Gaborik on the same line makes me drool

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
From zero to top speed, OMG.

Just wait till Kreider gets here.

I would love to see Kreider and Gabby on the two wings of either Step or Richards. Just not not year. I don't want to throw Kreider on the first line. Too much pressure. By it would be an amazing line in 2013-14.

Old
11-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Hagelin striked me as being incredibly fast.

I wonder how he matches up against Gaborik.

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think Kreider might be faster fwiw.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:19 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i think Kreider might be faster fwiw.
Agreed. I think he's the fastest player in the league from the moment he joins it.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 02:51 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Agreed. I think he's the fastest player in the league from the moment he joins it.

So we got a guy with a power forward's body (6-3 225 pounds) who is the fastest skater in the league and has a sniper's shot? Fire Sather!

Old
11-13-2011, 04:11 AM
TrueBlueNorwegian

Quote:
So we got a guy with a power forward's body (6-3 225 pounds) who is the fastest skater in the league and has a sniper's shot? Fire Sather!
Wow!! It's obvious that I haven't done my homework on Kreider. I had no idea he was that big . Holy cow, if this kid can put it all together he is going to be a beast in the NHL. When you have size like that and have lightning speed at the same time, that's pretty special.

This made me even more excited about this kid.

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 05:10 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post
Wow!! It's obvious that I haven't done my homework on Kreider. I had no idea he was that big . Holy cow, if this kid can put it all together he is going to be a beast in the NHL. When you have size like that and have lightning speed at the same time, that's pretty special.

My friend who's a big Ranger fan always used to talk with me about Kreider. I brought up how big he was and he was like "....i assumed that since he was so fast that he was tiny".

I agree with other posters, he may not be as quick as Grabner or Gaborik, but in the highest gear I think he can be the fastest NHL player.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 05:11 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:

Yeah, I don't tend to get wrapped up in prospects too much but I just looked him up and found this from the 2011 WJC:

With his 10th goal, Kreider entered the upper echelons of USA career goal-scoring at the tournament. He stands tied for third all-time among Americans who have competed at the World Juniors.

Kreider's 10 career goals are just three behind Jeremy Roenick's Team USA record of 13, one behind Brian Gionta's 11 goals, and land him in a tie with an impressive group of American players that includes NHL stars John LeClair and Mike Modano.

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=548496&navid=DL

Definitely an impressive group to be named with. Obviously this is old news for some that have followed him, but like I said, I don't really follow the prospects all that much.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 05:11 AM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:

He is tearing it up in NCAA this year as well. Something like 15 points in the first 9 games last i saw?

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 05:14 AM
NYI JT91

Forget the ranking, do you guys think he is faster then grabner ? I dont recall was Gaborik in this past years Fastest skater competition ? I know hes fast I just dont recall watching him do that event. Hopefully this year he and grabner will both be in it.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:28 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Forget the ranking, do you guys think he is faster then grabner ? I dont recall was Gaborik in this past years Fastest skater competition ? I know hes fast I just dont recall watching him do that event. Hopefully this year he and grabner will both be in it.
I think its hard to tell who is faster between the two of them without watching them race one another. They're both so fast - if one beats the other its by a small enough margin that its not obvious by just watching them play. I'm not sure why Gaborik wasn't in the speed competition last year but I'm going to guess he was injured or he wasn't on the radar because he wasn't having a very good year while Grabner was not only scoring a lot but doing it mostly with his speed. I'd really like to watch them compete this year though, Gaborik seems to have his zip back after an odd year all around last season and Grabner is just a breakaway machine.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Staal was in the competition, flying the Rangers flag as a defenceman. I think this qualitative vote by players is much more telling than any competition that involves a fastest lap around a rink. The players are voting based on which of their colleagues they feel, when they are playing with or against him, has the best wheels. Grabner probably suffers in this vote, as he is so new to the league, but he's got incredible wheels, too.

That said, speed competitions are fun to watch, and it would be great to see Grabner and Gabby head-to-head, though they'd probably represent the same team in an All Star game.

In the end, whether Marian Gaborik can do a 14-second lap of a rink or not, his peers find his speed hard to live with during the games -- and that's what matters.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Kershaw

I believe this is the opinion of the players, straight on speed, Mason Raymond is the fastest.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 03:18 PM
nrf83

Quote:
NYR don't want Gaborik to compete in skating because of his groin problems; no easier way to re-injure yourself. We all know how fast Gabby is when he has puck on his stick.

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 01:22 PM
bernmeister

Quote:

I was a little concerned when I'd heard they were bulking him up, if that would reduce his speed. Not sure to what extent if any it has, but apparently whatever change in his speed is not significant. Barring injury he will among the fastest/best skaters in NHL. I don't want to oversell his shot, but if it's good enough, that's a bonus and I'm happy.

Now you guys know why I've been doing everything to keep Kreider as much as possible when addressing proposals.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

i don't think gaborik is the fastest guy in the league in terms of pure top end speed. i do think that when he's healthy and he is right now he's got the most explosive first step of any player in the league and that is what makes him appear to be so fast. he's got the quickest first step in the game and its usually enough to blow by a guy WHEN HEALTHY. last year we did not see it much at all. something was wrong either physically or mentally but that looks to be in the past right now.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:28 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
i don't think gaborik is the fastest guy in the league in terms of pure top end speed. i do think that when he's healthy and he is right now he's got the most explosive first step of any player in the league and that is what makes him appear to be so fast. he's got the quickest first step in the game and its usually enough to blow by a guy WHEN HEALTHY. last year we did not see it much at all. something was wrong either physically or mentally but that looks to be in the past right now.
I completely agree with this. As a fan who appreciates the little detailed things about the game, this something I have always noticed, even when he wasn't playing for the Rangers. His first two or three strides are very explosive and are quick enough to separate him from a defender.

Don't get me wrong, even after his first few strides, he is a very fast skater, just not the fastest in the game.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 05:03 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:

I've tempered my expectations a bit on Kreider. He's been described by many as having the best toolbox, but no tools inside.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Imclaudelemieux

Love Gabby's sneaky speed. He moves with such grace and finesse. I could see how he would be intimidating to play against. He always looks dangerous out there.

Imclaudelemieux is offline   Reply With Quote