HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Griffin Reinhart - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2012, 4th overall, New York Islanders)

Old
09-25-2011, 07:22 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Watched him for the first time this season today and to me his skating looks to have gotten worse. I also was hearing that during the World Under 18's earlier this summer.

That's a major concern for me.

I know he missed some time last year and maybe that has slowed his progress a bit, but it shouldn't have hurt his skating this much. Last year he looked big, quick, agile, strong, powerful.

This year he looks kind of clumsy.

The only thing I can think of besides injury would be the fact that maybe he grew an inch or two over the summer.
One thing I'm banking is he'll have a stronger finish than start, much like the entire Oil King team. It will take a bit to find themselves and figure out how to work with each other. I'll get my first look of the season at the Oil Kings and Reinhart on Friday.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Wait, so Reinhart broke his wrist?

So, he's gonna fall in the draft and the Oilers are gonna swoop him up after trading Hemsky for a stud defensive prospect + 1st?!

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:47 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
One thing I'm banking is he'll have a stronger finish than start, much like the entire Oil King team. It will take a bit to find themselves and figure out how to work with each other. I'll get my first look of the season at the Oil Kings and Reinhart on Friday.
I watched them today and they looked damn good, despite losing. Definitely a favorite in the Eastern conference for good reason.

R S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:03 PM
workedforme

Quote:
The only thing I can think of besides injury would be the fact that maybe he grew an inch or two over the summer.
Didn't David Musil say something similar to this after the Oilers drafted him? He was also highly regarded going into his draft year and took a hit in draft rankings as the season went on, and I think I remember him saying he couldn't adapt to the continuous growth over the year or something along those lines.

workedforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Caged Great

If I'm Feaster, I do whatever I can to get Griffen to go along with Max.

Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:02 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by workedforme View Post
Didn't David Musil say something similar to this after the Oilers drafted him? He was also highly regarded going into his draft year and took a hit in draft rankings as the season went on, and I think I remember him saying he couldn't adapt to the continuous growth over the year or something along those lines.
Never read that or heard that, but it would make sense. Musil's footspeed seemed to lose something as he went from a 16 year old to a 17.

If Reinhart slips like Musil did I will be shocked, but skating is pretty important haha.

Old
09-26-2011, 12:19 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

The biggest difference between Reinhart and Musil is that Musil was not as thick as Griffin was at 16. Griffin is a legitimate 200+ right now, and Musil just broke that watermark himself after a full summer of strength and weight training with Gary Roberts.

Griffin's skating was better than Musil's regardless, and I definitely think he has a better East-West toolkit, but all that considered I can't see Griffin growing much bigger throughout the season.

And if he does, he'll be a 6'5+ 210+ defender with an offensive toolkit. Think many teams will care that he lost a step while growing?

SK13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:36 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
The biggest difference between Reinhart and Musil is that Musil was not as thick as Griffin was at 16. Griffin is a legitimate 200+ right now, and Musil just broke that watermark himself after a full summer of strength and weight training with Gary Roberts.

Griffin's skating was better than Musil's regardless, and I definitely think he has a better East-West toolkit, but all that considered I can't see Griffin growing much bigger throughout the season.

And if he does, he'll be a 6'5+ 210+ defender with an offensive toolkit. Think many teams will care that he lost a step while growing?
Yes. It could drop him from top 5 to top 15-20 if the concerns about his skating are actually legit and he doesn't show solid improvement from what I've seen early this year.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:51 PM
shello
@WShello9

His younger brother is a good prospect too.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:04 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Watched him for the first time this season today and to me his skating looks to have gotten worse. I also was hearing that during the World Under 18's earlier this summer.

That's a major concern for me.

I know he missed some time last year and maybe that has slowed his progress a bit, but it shouldn't have hurt his skating this much. Last year he looked big, quick, agile, strong, powerful.

This year he looks kind of clumsy.

I was posting about this when he came back from injury, I hoped it was just him shaking off the rust but if it's a concern now I might start to get a little worried. He was fumbling around with the puck and not getting to his spots in the playoffs or end of the season last year. I'll be at the game Friday vs. MH so I'll probably post after watching him then.

He definitely struggled a bit and was fighting the play at u-18's I heard. Could also be a confidence thing as he was playing behind Rielly, Pouliot and Dumba and was fighting for ice-time for likely the first time in his life.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:08 PM
17Kurri

Many question his offensive potential, but last season he was in the same range of points (25-30) as Pouliot, Rielly, and Dumba in considerably less games.

In terms of PPG last season:

Dumba = 0.45
Pouliot = 0.45
Rielly = 0.43
Reinhart = 0.55

Reinhart probably did get some more quality ice time than the others, but that was at both ends of the ice, so he wasn't being spoon fed offensive opportunities, imo.

As for the draft, the way Pouliot has been playing since the U-18, I would not be surprised if he ends up being the first dman taken if he keeps it up. I still believe that Reinhart is the best overall/complete package dman of the four at the moment, but a lot can happen between now and the draft in June.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:34 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Many question his offensive potential, but last season he was in the same range of points (25-30) as Pouliot, Rielly, and Dumba in considerably less games.

In terms of PPG last season:

Dumba = 0.45
Pouliot = 0.45
Rielly = 0.43
Reinhart = 0.55

Reinhart probably did get some more quality ice time than the others, but that was at both ends of the ice, so he wasn't being spoon fed offensive opportunities, imo.

As for the draft, the way Pouliot has been playing since the U-18, I would not be surprised if he ends up being the first dman taken if he keeps it up. I still believe that Reinhart is the best overall/complete package dman of the four at the moment, but a lot can happen between now and the draft in June.
16-year-old WHL defensemen PPG... Could you find a worse way to communicate their actual play on the ice. You have to watch how these kids play, and more than once, to get a really good read on their defensive and offensive games. Most stats when they are that young aren't gonna tell you that much on their potential upside 9 years down the road. It's about the decisions they make under pressure, getting shots on net, making the right pass, skating it out of tough situations, etc.

Old
09-27-2011, 01:09 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
16-year-old WHL defensemen PPG... Could you find a worse way to communicate their actual play on the ice. You have to watch how these kids play, and more than once, to get a really good read on their defensive and offensive games. Most stats when they are that young aren't gonna tell you that much on their potential upside 9 years down the road. It's about the decisions they make under pressure, getting shots on net, making the right pass, skating it out of tough situations, etc.
Oh, I don't disagree about getting a sense of their on ice attitutes/aptitudes via live viewings. But while I'm not really a big stats guy, I do believe it's negligent to not take them into consideration. Like it or not, the amount of points these guys pick up this season will amount to quite a bit in terms of how they're ranked and where they're drafted.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
Griffin Reinhart

I'm wondering what the general opinion of this guy is. He's not nearly as high profile as Murray or Dumba, but still a lot of people have him going in the top ten (or just missing it). It seems to me the Oilers will have their eyes on him for couple of reasons:

1) He plays on the Oil Kings, so it is easy to scout him.
2) He plays on a pairing with Martin Gernat, another Oilers draft pick. The idea of having them as a future pairing on the Oilers is appealing because they will have played before and know each other's style. (you can argue Marincin+Gernat is better but whateves)
3) The Oilers are expected on many people's accounts to just miss a playoff spot, giving them a pick in the low teens (more or less where he is expected to go).

but Oilers stuff aside, does anyone have any opinions on the guy?

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 11:47 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

I don't think the Oilers are worried much right now about how Reinhart's season is going. There is still a lot of hockey to be played, both for the Oilers and Reinhart. The Oilers don't know where they are drafting and Reinhart is all over the first round projections right now.

All that being said, I think the Oilers are looking for a real burner on the back end, because like you said they already have Marincin and Gernat in the bank, along with Musil and Klefbom. I think they will only take Reinhart if he is the best defenseman/player on the board. Reinhart's play has been pretty uneven so far this year, I think the scouts are looking for more out of him.

Old
11-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Saw Reinhart this tuesday, and was not that impressed at all by him.

I believe that he is injured right now, which could have been the case, because he seemed to not want to rush the puck that often, or create any offense in that case.

Did not look like a first round pick, based on what I saw on both sides of the ice.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 06:16 PM
malkovsby

from what iv seen of him...steady, semi stay at home defenceman..shows some skills on the rush but doesnt do it often..slow but powerful stride..takes body often but not as per the "all or nothing" style of dumba. has a hard shot, shoots with his head up at all times. seems to be a fairly intelligent player - plays angles, percentages, puck possession game.

reminds me of seabrook maybe eriksson

if i was compare him and dumba (the two 2012 dmen iv seen the most of)

dumba has slicker hands, harder shot, much more willingness to go on the rush, aggressive hitter.

griffin has size, strength, moves puck quickly, less of a risk but will probably be picked later in the round.

cant comment a whole lot on his play this season, havent seen oil kings as much as i wanted

malkovsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 06:51 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

From an Oiler perspective, they already have big defenseman, Teubert, Marincin, Gernat, Klefbom. I think a guy like Derrick Pouiliot or Morgan Rielly would be better suited to their prospect pool.

Griffin has had a slow start to the season. But when he is on top of his game he is a big time game changer. Good first pass, good vision offensively. Strong in the corners. His skating has always looked a little clumsy to me but the intangibles are there. I predicted him to go between 8-15

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 06:59 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
I'm wondering what the general opinion of this guy is. He's not nearly as high profile as Murray or Dumba, but still a lot of people have him going in the top ten (or just missing it). It seems to me the Oilers will have their eyes on him for couple of reasons:

1) He plays on the Oil Kings, so it is easy to scout him.
2) He plays on a pairing with Martin Gernat, another Oilers draft pick. The idea of having them as a future pairing on the Oilers is appealing because they will have played before and know each other's style. (you can argue Marincin+Gernat is better but whateves)
3) The Oilers are expected on many people's accounts to just miss a playoff spot, giving them a pick in the low teens (more or less where he is expected to go).

but Oilers stuff aside, does anyone have any opinions on the guy?
Go to go some games when he gets healthy and find out yourself. He hasn't been playing great this season. Has the tools but is having a hard time putting it together IMO. Really needs to concentrate on making good simple plays and getting pucks through the D and then the game will come to him a bit easier right now but he can look like a bit of a clunk out there right now. Honestly, wouldn't be very happy if the Oilers drafted him with a top 15 pick.

Old
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Safe to say the kid looks to be back to form.

Watched him on Sunday and showed MASSIVE improvement from my two early season viewings of him. His solid skating was back and he didn't show any cracks when facing a stiff forecheck.

Is a very underrated passer and was able to start the rush or join it.

My only concern with him now is that he needs to play more 'mean' as a guy who is 6'4. Isn't afraid to hit, but I would like to see him be more involved in gritty plays and in scrums. At one point he was challenged in a scrum and totally backed down.

Either way, he was very impressive on Sunday. He's currently 4th in my WHL rankings, but I could see him passing Morgan Rielly by the end of the year, mostly due to extra exposure.

Old
12-06-2011, 04:52 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Safe to say the kid looks to be back to form.

Watched him on Sunday and showed MASSIVE improvement from my two early season viewings of him. His solid skating was back and he didn't show any cracks when facing a stiff forecheck.

Is a very underrated passer and was able to start the rush or join it.

My only concern with him now is that he needs to play more 'mean' as a guy who is 6'4. Isn't afraid to hit, but I would like to see him be more involved in gritty plays and in scrums. At one point he was challenged in a scrum and totally backed down.

Either way, he was very impressive on Sunday. He's currently 4th in my WHL rankings, but I could see him passing Morgan Rielly by the end of the year, mostly due to extra exposure.
I don't know if "mean" will ever be in his game. Reinhart is a very well rounded player but he won't impose his size on anyone. I don't think his strength is where it needs to be for a player his size which may be part of the problem. Its hard to say who he compares to. I liken him to a more offensive Eric Brewer.

Old
12-06-2011, 08:07 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
I don't know if "mean" will ever be in his game. Reinhart is a very well rounded player but he won't impose his size on anyone. I don't think his strength is where it needs to be for a player his size which may be part of the problem. Its hard to say who he compares to. I liken him to a more offensive Eric Brewer.
Yeah, there's no mean streak there and I doubt there's ever going to be.

To me, Reinhart is the nearest thing to a dead lock to be a top-4 NHL defender ... but he'll be the quiet type who plays 22-23 minutes, scores 25-30 points/season, isn't physical. Won't play in an All-Star game but will be a core player of a solid team. Like a Brewer or a Paul Martin.

I have him a lot closer to Murray and Dumba than most people do, I think.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:59 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Yeah, there's no mean streak there and I doubt there's ever going to be.

To me, Reinhart is the nearest thing to a dead lock to be a top-4 NHL defender ... but he'll be the quiet type who plays 22-23 minutes, scores 25-30 points/season, isn't physical. Won't play in an All-Star game but will be a core player of a solid team. Like a Brewer or a Paul Martin.

I have him a lot closer to Murray and Dumba than most people do, I think.
That screams Jay Bouwmeester to me.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:33 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

I don't think that he 100% lacks a mean streak.

I saw him drop the mitts in a game last season and in the viewing I had of him on Sunday he stepped up and SMOKED someone at the blueline on his first shift.

He isn't afraid to do stuff like that, it just doesn't happen enough for my liking.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:50 AM
DousedInOil

I wouldn't be surprised at all if griffin is a top 10 pick on draft day. You can't teach his size and the sky is the limit for his potential. He's never going to be as explosive as a guy like dumba (and maybe not even as offensive as rielly) but he could turn out to be the best all around dman in the draft.

He will probably go in the 10-15 range still, but I hope he is around when the oilers are picking.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote