HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Avs d-man situation

Old
11-13-2011, 02:14 AM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
I don't know if betting is allowed here, but I'd be ready to bet that Ryan Suter won't play for Avalanche next season.
I doubt he will be an avs either, but if we could get just one UFA next year Suter would be my pick.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 02:19 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1greg View Post
I doubt he will be an avs either, but if we could get just one UFA next year Suter would be my pick.
Me too, but I'd say that if Suter puts the 30 teams in order where he would sign, Avs are not even in the top-10.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 02:34 AM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

Quote:
Me too, but I'd say that if Suter puts the 30 teams in order where he would sign, Avs are not even in the top-10.
Even if we are willing to overpay by a lot? Then again the avs are cheap bastids.

Old
11-13-2011, 02:41 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Even if we are willing to overpay by a lot? Then again the avs are cheap bastids.
I would guess that he wants in order
1) Stay in Nashville
2) Win a Cup shortly (i.e. go to somewhere where the short-term chances are better than in Nashville and let me tell you, that place isn't Denver)
3) Make money

I don't see Avs paying that much more than some way better teams.

Old
11-13-2011, 02:48 AM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

Quote:
1) Stay in Nashville
2) Win a Cup shortly (i.e. go to somewhere where the short-term chances are better than in Nashville and let me tell you, that place isn't Denver)
3) Make money

So we have no chance at parise either?

Old
11-13-2011, 02:55 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
So we have no chance at parise either?
It doesn't mean you can't try. I pretty rarely hear anyone making fun of "you idiots really made an offer for him!?"

Old
11-13-2011, 02:55 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Frankly if we go big on a free agent, I'd rather it be a scoring forward. We have plenty of defensemen. How good they are, or will be, is still a question, but it's quite clear we don't have enough game-breaking talent up front.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Frankly if we go big on a free agent, I'd rather it be a scoring forward. We have plenty of defensemen. How good they are, or will be, is still a question, but it's quite clear we don't have enough game-breaking talent up front.
I agree with this too. First of all, there's only one seriously good prospect forward that Avs has. Ask anyone here about the date Hishon will play, but when you do, make sure you wear a helmet yourself.

Secondary, Avs have a couple of good d-men prospects. They should get chances to play in NHL.

Old
11-13-2011, 03:39 AM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

I'm for overpaying for a legit scoring forward just like the panthers did with flash if thats what it will take to get one here. I still would love suter here. EJ will probably pan out to be a decent dman, but a bust considering he was a #1 pick. Younger guys like doughty are light years ahead of EJ.

Old
11-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Yes. They were the affiliate of the Thrashers, and now the Canucks. The only close-by affiliates I can think of are Boston/Providence, Dallas/Texas, and Philadelphia/Adirondack. Montreal/Hamilton's another example, and until their owner went nuts, the Rochester Americans had a nice partnership with the Buffalo Sabres.

Sometimes geographic distance is preferred for some teams. The Oilers tried having an affiliate in Toronto and Montreal tried putting theirs in Quebec City after the Nords left. Both were dismal failures. Edmonton set up an affiliate in OKC and seem happy with that, even though there are likely better locales geographically. Frankly, a Blackhawks affiliate in Chicago likely wouldn't work (but their affiliate is close by in Rockford).

But since you bring it up, having a true minor league affiliate in Loveland/Windsor/whatever the hell they call it would probably work.

The best answer is what's been suggested as having two rival conferences in the AHL who don't play one another until the finals. That takes care of travel difficulties for the AHL teams and geographic problems for the NHL teams, but then the problem lies with establishing enough other teams within reasonable driving distance of one another in the western portion of the country. OKC is already here, so then what? Utah (where the Grizzlies went after the Avs came to town), Arizona (who knows, they'll probably be an AHL town after this year anyway), and Vegas?
Bit off topic, but this offseason Pegula bought the Amerks, so they are once again the Sabres affiliate and seeing as they are now owned by the Sabres owner, they probably will be for quite a long time

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
1) Stay in Nashville
3) Make money

You're naive if you think getting paid isn't at the top of his and basically every other player's priority list. If staying in Nashville was his top priority, he'd already be re-signed.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:04 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Another thing to remember about Siemens is that the Blades are hosting the Memorial Cup next year. Siemens is the key to that event.

He won't be anywhere but Saskatoon next season.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:13 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordiques4life View Post
what about wilson
If Colorado could upgrade O'Brien's spot on the secon pairing and then move O'Brien down to the third pairing to replace Wilson, it would be a happy day.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Comin View Post
You're naive if you think getting paid isn't at the top of his and basically every other player's priority list. If staying in Nashville was his top priority, he'd already be re-signed.
It doesn't mean he plays for free somewhere. He can easily stay in Nashville, if the pay even 80% of what some other place could pay.

Old
11-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
It doesn't mean he plays for free somewhere. He can easily stay in Nashville, if the pay even 80% of what some other place could pay.
Yeah, he could. Unless he decides to do what most players do and demand to be paid market value for his services, especially since he's on the cusp of being on the open market. "Hometown discount" is a phrase fans like to throw around, yet rarely actually happens.

Old
11-14-2011, 04:19 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Another thing to remember about Siemens is that the Blades are hosting the Memorial Cup next year. Siemens is the key to that event.

He won't be anywhere but Saskatoon next season.
He's so far from being ready that he shouldn't even be in the discussion for next season, let alone playing a significant role.

Hopefully by the time Siemens makes the jump to the NHL, Colorado (and it's defense) is good and he can work his way up in a complimentary role.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Comin View Post
Yeah, he could. Unless he decides to do what most players do and demand to be paid market value for his services, especially since he's on the cusp of being on the open market. "Hometown discount" is a phrase fans like to throw around, yet rarely actually happens.
I thought for a while that you were serious.

Old
11-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
I thought for a while that you were serious.
I never, at any point, took you seriously.

Old
11-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I like all of our defenders (Hejda needs to settle down and focus on defense) but am not crazy about them as a group.

No matter what pairs we roll out, one of them is going to be exposed. I like O'Brien, Wilson and O'Byrne as #5-6 guys, Hejda as a #4 and Johnson/Quincey as #2-3 defenders (hopeful both of them will continue to improve).

Used properly, I think all of our defenders are fine NHL defenders. But we're always going to have one guy way in over his head.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I like all of our defenders (Hejda needs to settle down and focus on defense) but am not crazy about them as a group.

No matter what pairs we roll out, one of them is going to be exposed. I like O'Brien, Wilson and O'Byrne as #5-6 guys, Hejda as a #4 and Johnson/Quincey as #2-3 defenders (hopeful both of them will continue to improve).

Used properly, I think all of our defenders are fine NHL defenders. But we're always going to have one guy way in over his head.
O'Brien should be used as a #5-6 dman, but I think he has been very good in the #4 dman position.
He made some mistakes after the first few games, but has settled since very nicely.

We lack a #1 though. (for the moment at least)

Nzap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

I think if Hejda went back to his original style and simplified his game, instead of trying to be Nick Lidstrom out there, he could form a decent top pairing with EJ again.

It was really weird expecting him to be the more stay at home guy to give EJ room to jump into the play more, and then seeing Hejda try to be the offensive guy forcing EJ to sit back more.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I think if Hejda went back to his original style and simplified his game, instead of trying to be Nick Lidstrom out there, he could form a decent top pairing with EJ again.

It was really weird expecting him to be the more stay at home guy to give EJ room to jump into the play more, and then seeing Hejda try to be the offensive guy forcing EJ to sit back more.
Could not agree more. Dude pulls himself out of position way, WAY too much.

Old
11-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Just read this. Let's be careful with that sentiment...we don't want to be the Sabres paying $4.5 million annually for Ville freaking Leino, who BTW is a nice complement to their 4th line.

Old
11-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

EJ's not a true puckmover and that put more responsibility for puck movement and offense on Hejda than he was comfortable with I believe. I'm fairly certain that Elliott will make the team next season, and I think he and Hejda would make an ideal pairing. Hejda can just sit back and defend and cover for Elliott while he does his thing. Then we can put Quincey with EJ, where both of them are capable, but not exceptional puck movers and can share the responsibility. I'd like to keep Ryan Wilson and O'brien around for the bottom pairing next season if we don't upgrade in some area. Who gets kept of the 3 bottom pairing guys we've got will depend on contract demands IMO.

I'd like to see the Avs target a guy like Tim Gleason to upgrade the D next season

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Let's bring this one up now that we know a lot more about the players like Elliott, Johnson, Quincey and Hejda.