HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Do the Rangers Have to Do For a Front Cover on the Newspaper?

Old
11-13-2011, 08:12 AM
truebluegoalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
We will have to wait for the playoffs unless there is a Glen Sather Sex Scandel
I nominate you to start working on that.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Baseball will always be more popular in this city. That is why people still call into sports shows in the off-season to talk about it, and why regular season baseball games make the back page over Rangers playoff games. This city has an obsession with the Yankees and the Mets which I, even though I'm a big Yankees fan, do not understand. Yeah baseball is fun to follow, but am I counting down the days in the off-season like I am with hockey? No way.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Deric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
This city has an obsession with the Yankees and the Mets which I, even though I'm a big Yankees fan, do not understand.
It's bc baseball was invented here and even tho the Rangers are an original 6, baseball has been played longer and there's more tradition.
Go to Canada and they talk about hockey year round. The south they talk about college football year round, Europe - soccer.

Maybe if Lundqvist dropped the gloves with Brodeur that might make the back page for regular season action.

Deric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:29 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Basically on the verge of winning a round in the playoffs.

They will never get it in the regular season unless they clinche like 1st place. They MIGHT be able to get one in mid Feb. when NFL is over and baseball ST hasn't started yet.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:43 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric View Post
It's bc baseball was invented here and even tho the Rangers are an original 6, baseball has been played longer and there's more tradition.
Go to Canada and they talk about hockey year round. The south they talk about college football year round, Europe - soccer.

Maybe if Lundqvist dropped the gloves with Brodeur that might make the back page for regular season action.
It's because people in the US have short attention spans that is why football and baseball to so well in this country and hockey and soccer don't.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
It popularity it goes:
Baseball
Football
Basketball
College sports
Hockey

Tennis/golf

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 10:08 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
It popularity it goes:
Baseball
Football
Basketball
College sports
Hockey

Tennis/golf
Add ASSCAR above Hockey.

Old
11-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Add ASSCAR above Hockey.
I think he was doing popularity in New York only. If so I'd put golf above hockey. They're always getting coverage.

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 11:40 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

No one cares about NASCAR in NY.

That's a southern/mid-west sport.

Sports I hate:

NASCAR
Horseracing
Tennis (fun to play though. Watching? not so much...)
Golf (i really tried to get into it years ago but it was painful to watch)

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Nyrvana

If we beat the Isles on Monday and win 7 in a row we might get the back page. But then again, I doubt it. Only reason I say that it could is what else is going on? No football, no NBA, what else is left?

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:23 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
No one cares about NASCAR in NY.

That's a southern/mid-west sport.
Well a few of the posts before were talking about sports popularity in the US, not just NY which was why I mentioned asscar. I honestly don't remember college football being that big in NYC when I lived there. Any teams besides Army in the area? Maybe Rutgers or Hoftsra? Am I missing a major college football powerhouse in the NYC area?

Old
11-13-2011, 12:33 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
If we beat the Isles on Monday and win 7 in a row we might get the back page. But then again, I doubt it. Only reason I say that it could is what else is going on? No football, no NBA, what else is left?
Dont forget the NBA labor meetings Each time there is a new meeting and a new ultimatum, they make headlines.

RETARDED. When we went on strike, new york (besides the actual hockey fans) breathed a sigh of relief that they didnt have to hear or see any clips about hockey and god forbid NBC had a game on versus some obscure retarded television show

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 12:41 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I don't know if it's my memory going, but I thought that the Rangers used to make the cover of the sports section of Newsday at times during the regular season. It didn't have to be a playoffs game or winning the Cup.

Newsday isn't big on hockey even with two lower-NY hockey teams. Hell, they were still using the original Winnipeg Jets logo in their article about the Rangers-Jets game a few weeks ago.

There are times when I'm reading the paper that I have to skip past articles on baseball, football, basketball, golf and college sports before I see something about the Islanders or Rangers.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

[QUOTE=NYR94;39374107]I don't know if it's my memory going, but I thought that the Rangers used to make the cover of the sports section of Newsday at times during the regular season. It didn't have to be a playoffs game or winning the Cup.

Newsday isn't big on hockey even with two lower-NY hockey teams. Hell, they were still using the original Winnipeg Jets logo in their article about the Rangers-Jets game a few weeks ago.

There are times when I'm reading the paper that I have to skip past articles on baseball, football, basketball, golf and college sports before I see something about the Islanders or Rangers.[/QUOTE]
Its the same here (Norway, the last commy state) except I have to skip past articles about mini sports like cross country sking,handball for women, soccer niveau 5, etc before I see any hockey...THATS FRUSTRATING, believe me..

Slayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
So what? Newsday has always been a Long Island paper--just look at its circulation numbers. Plus, Cablevision has a lot of money tied up in the Islander team (they have the cable rights after all), so it's in their interest to keep things the way they always have been--emphasis on the Islanders.
Yep. I sell Newsday so I see it all the time, it definitely leans towards the Isles over Rangers.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 03:31 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Seriously. Also, by front page, I am referring to the back cover (sports fans read the back of the paper first, so the back is the cover). So what do they have to do? They won six in a row and we still don't have a cover. What the hell? I know hockey isn't that popular here, but basketball isn't either and they get covers.
I really dont know what happened. In the 1980s and 1990s, the Newsday, the Times, The Post and the News all used to put random regular season Rangers photos on the back cover (like a GWG in December against the Blues, for example).

I'm guessing that their marketing depts realize that hockey just isnt that popular a sport anymore in the area, especially since both the Jets and Giants are competitive, the Yankees are a perennial powerhouse, and there have been a lot of massive national stories so far (Francona, Paterno, NBA strike etc)

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 05:34 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Not sure basketball should be listed above hockey. Theres been numerous data suggesting otherwise.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 06:54 PM
proper animal
Sorry by me

Make people want to buy newspapers for whatever reason.

Honestly, the fact of the matter is that news is a business just like the NHL. Obviously hockey plays second, third, or fourth fiddle to whatever other team is noteworthy at the moment or whatever other non-sports story is dominating the headlines in New York on any given day. Despite being a huge Rangers fan, if I ran a newspaper the first thing in sports that I'd be covering right now is Jerry Sandusky, followed by any Giants/Jets news no matter how insignificant, then probably the NBA lockout if there were any new developments. In the grand scheme of things, hockey isn't very popular and won't sell a lot of newspapers. You can't fault the newspapers for trying to appeal to the greatest amount of people, ie: fans of other sports. That's just my take.

Personally, I don't need to read about hockey in the paper, there's ample and often more in depth coverage online.

proper animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 06:56 PM
ogie

i remember last year or the year before the rangers won an amazing game and i went into the store in the morning and the back cover of the post and the daily news was like "ARod spotted in Miami" and i was like what the.... well thats NY for ya.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:28 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucker* View Post
It's dumb. Hockey is very big and popular in NY (more people watch NHL than NBA games in NY if you sum Rangers+Devs+Isles ratings).

Basketball isn't even that big, nobody talked Knicks on WFAN till last winter, they would talk about the Mets of all things!

I don't get it, to me it is dumb. Boston got back pages and they have to compete with the Celtics/Pats/Red Sox.

The Flyers get back pages, the Caps get back pages, and I'll tell NY is every bit and more the hockey town they are.
I just don't get NY media.
From today's NY Daily News:

On MSG Network, Rangers TV ratings are down 15% from the same point in the 2010 season. On MSG+, Devils ratings are down a whopping 55% from the same point in the 2010 season. And on MSG+, the Islanders ratings are down 17% from the same point in the 2010 season.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz1ddumXy72

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:30 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
From today's NY Daily News:

On MSG Network, Rangers TV ratings are down 15% from the same point in the 2010 season. On MSG+, Devils ratings are down a whopping 55% from the same point in the 2010 season. And on MSG+, the Islanders ratings are down 17% from the same point in the 2010 season.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz1ddumXy72
So much for all the NBA fans coming to watch the NHL.

Ranger ratings could also be down because of the amount of west coast games we played early plus the one Europe game that was on mid day during the week. Regardless, not a good sign.

11-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Richter915

we need avery to comment about anything. Preferably something racist/anti-semitic.

Richter915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:16 PM
GamerZX101

Something controversial. That's it.

GamerZX101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Do people still buy newspapers?

I haven't bought a paper in 5 years. Why would I pay for something I can get for free?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Henrik4Hart

Blow a 3 goal lead in the playoffs seems to be one way but last week it was all about Penn State, Tomorrow to Friday it'll be about Tim Tebow. The NBA will commit hararkiri today as well.

It's not as if the City doesn't know the Rangers are playing well so far.

Henrik4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote